Septic Tank Permit How Long? (Correct answer)

The review process generally takes 10 days and must be completed within 45 days of the date the application was submitted.

  • Septic tank permits are valid for five years in most states. How long does a septic tank last for? Typically, a steel septic tank will last between 15 and 20 years. Tanks made of concrete or plastic are usually preferable in terms of longevity.

How long does it take to get a discharge permit?

Decisions about your permit The Environment Agency will write to you to tell you whether or not they can allow what you’ve asked for. You will normally get a decision on your application within 4 months. The Environment Agency will tell you if your application will take longer.

How long is a septic permit good for in NC?

If a septic permit has been issued, the permit is good for 5 years.

How long is a septic permit good for in PA?

A: All septic system permits are valid for three (3) years from date of issuance. However, if construction of the structure and system has not commenced within three (3) years, the permit will expire.

Do I need a certificate for my septic tank?

The General Binding Rules were designed to simplify the regulation of small sewage discharges. Septic tanks and small sewage treatment plants no longer need to be registered and there is no legal requirement to keep records of maintenance (although this is advisable).

Does my septic tank have a permit?

Most small sewage treatment systems and septic tanks will be eligible for an exemption from Permit, but this does depend upon various factors (for example, if your property is close to a nature conservation area the Environment Agency may require that you obtain a permit) details of which can be obtained from the

Do I need consent to discharge?

Consents to Discharge are required if your property is not connected to the public sewer. It is an offence under the Water (NI) Order 1999 to discharge sewage effluent into a waterway or soakaway without the consent of the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA).

Can you expand a septic tank?

ENLARGING THE SYSTEM The increase from three to five bedrooms will require more septic tank capacity (usually 1.5 times), and that will involve replacing the current tank or adding an additional tank in series. The drainfield or other soil treatment component (mound, at-grade) will need to be enlarged by two-thirds.

What is a septic permit in NC?

The 2nd septic system permit is an application for a Construction Authorization (CA). Basically, this permit allows the septic system to be constructed and installed on the site. Many times this permit can be granted at the same time the IP is granted, but not always.

Can I install my own septic system in NC?

QUESTION: Is a homeowner allowed to install his or her own system? ANSWER: A homeowner may install the system for a property that will used as his or her primary residence as long as the system is gravity fed, pipe and gravel system and is limited to two systems within a five year period.

Do perc tests expire?

Also, perc test results expire after 2-5 years in most locations, so you may need to retest or pay a fee to update the results when you are ready to build.

Are septic holding tanks legal in PA?

Holding tanks will be permitted only with appropriate Pennsylvania DEP approval. Holding tanks will not be permitted if the site can be served by a conventional or alternative system designed to function as an on-lot septic system.

What are the 3 types of septic systems?

Types of Septic Systems

  • Septic Tank.
  • Conventional System.
  • Chamber System.
  • Drip Distribution System.
  • Aerobic Treatment Unit.
  • Mound Systems.
  • Recirculating Sand Filter System.
  • Evapotranspiration System.

Can you sell a property with a septic tank?

If you’re selling a property with a septic tank, then you must be transparent with buyers about the fact the property uses a one and provide a detailed specification of the system. In fact, You are required by law to inform a buyer in writing about the presence of a septic tank. The age of the system.

Can you sell a house with a non-compliant septic tank?

If you are selling the property, it is your responsibility to install a sewage treatment system compliant with the general binding rules. Being non-compliant will not only detract potential buyers but you may also be subject to enforcement action by the Environment Agency.

How do I find out if my septic tank is registered?

Check if your septic tank is already registered You can check if your tank has already been registered by contacting your environmental regulator. If you are unsure then it is best to check and avoid making an unnecessary payment. The NIEA and SEPA have records of all registered septic tanks.

Obtaining a Septic System Permit

Once you have received approval for your soil evaluation, you can proceed to apply for your septic permit. Remember to carefully study the soil evaluation provided by our office in order to establish the unique needs for your location. In addition, for any new building development, you will need to secure the following permits:

  • Land use permits from your local township
  • Soil erosion permits from the Drain Commissioner
  • And driveway permits from the Road Commission are all examples of permits that you may need.

Once you have secured these permissions, you will be able to submit an application for a building permit. Further information can be obtained by contacting theLivingston County Building Department (LCBD). The Livingston County Building Department has permitting jurisdiction over the entire county, with the exception of Green Oak Township. If your construction project is located in Green Oak Township, please contact the township’s building department for further information.

How do I apply for my septic system permit?

Fill out and submit a permit application to the Livingston County Health Department – Environmental Health Division at 2300 E. Grand River, Suite 102, Howell, MI 48843, or call (517) 546-9858 for more information. The following information must be included in the application:

  1. Application form that has been completed
  2. For new development, documentation of permanent street address (tax bill, township address form, and so on) is required
  3. Package identification number with ten digits (Only for new construction) A verified survey and legal description (only for new construction)
  4. A copy of a detailed story outline
  5. And Fees that are reasonable

As soon as these papers are received, a Sanitarian will analyze them and either grant the permit or call you to seek more information within 3-5 business days. Permits will be mailed or picked up at your discretion after they have been issued. Permits that have been issued will be automatically forwarded to the municipality and the Building Official.

How long are my permits valid?

You have one year from the day that your sewage/well permit is obtained to finish the building of your structure. Following that, the permit must be rewritten, and a price must be charged. If any modifications are made that necessitate a site visit, an extra cost may be charged for the visit. What kind of inspections will be performed by Livingston County Environmental Health throughout the building of my septic system and how often? Your permit will include a schedule of inspections that you must adhere to.

  1. All inspections will be completed as soon as possible (usually within 24 hours, excluding weekends and holidays).
  2. The following are examples of typical inspections: Inspection of the Excavation: All drainfields must undergo an excavation examination before they may be used.
  3. In this examination, it is determined whether the drainfield’s size and placement are adequate, as well as whether proper soil conditions are present.
  4. For the homeowner’s records, the Sanitarian will create an as-built design of the drainfield site, which will be forwarded to them by the Sanitarian.
  5. Grading Inspection: Following the completion of the final inspection, it may be essential to conduct a final grading inspection to see if the septic tanks and drainfield are properly covered, as well as whether surface water is being channeled away from the system.
  6. Once all of these requirements are satisfied, the completed permit will be delivered to the relevant building department for review and approval.

In order to obtain further information, please contact: Area Sanitarian (based on your Township) Environmental Health Division of the County of Livingston The following are the rules, regulations, and procedures: Livingston County Sanitary Code, Minimum Requirements for Alternative Systems, and Minimum Requirements for Pressure Mounds are all examples of codes that apply in the county.

Getting a Permit for an On-Site Sewage Facility – Such as a Septic System

A permit is necessary for the construction, installation, alteration, extension, or repair of an On-site Sewage Facility, with a few exceptions as mentioned below (OSSF). Always double-check with your local permitting authority before proceeding. Local permitting programs may be more strict than those mandated by state law in some cases. Texas law provides allow for an OSSF to be excluded from permitting requirements if the OSSF meets the following criteria:

  • If the OSSF serves a single family residence on a tract of land that is 10 acres or larger, it is not a nuisance or a groundwater contaminant
  • All parts of the OSSF are at least 100 feet from the property line
  • The effluent is disposed of on the property
  • And, the single family residence is the only dwelling on the tract of land

It is not necessary to get a permit for emergency repairs (such as the replacement of tank lids, input and outlet devices, and the repair of solid lines), but they must be notified to the appropriate permitting body within 72 hours of the start of the repairs. Emergency repairs are specified in 30 TAC Subchapter D, Section 285.35 of the Texas Administrative Code. Even if a permit is not necessary, the OSSF must adhere to the state’s minimal requirements.

On-Site Sewage Management/Septic Tank Permits

Many of our coastal towns are expanding at a rapid pace and in locations where county and city water and sewer infrastructure may not be available. The Department of Environmental Health’s responsibility is to ensure that on-site sewage management systems are implemented appropriately and in the suitable location in order to reduce the risk of health problems associated with untreated human sewage. We evaluate complaints and inspect repairs made to on-site sewage management systems that are not operating correctly.

  • It is necessary for everyone involved in the building, maintenance, or pumping of on-site sewage management systems to be certified in On-site Sewage Management.
  • In order to obtain further information, contact your county Environmental Health Office.
  • Make an appointment with your county Environmental Health Office to submit the Septic App Fillable, together with zoning clearance and a site layout.
  • You must first inform your local Building Department or Planning and Zoning office if you want to create a subdivision that will use individual septic tanks and/or wells.
  • For further information, contact the Environmental Health Office in your specific county (see Resources).
  • More information may be found by clicking HERE.

Be Septic Smart

Homeowners should follow these simple guidelines:

  • Protect It and Inspect It: In general, homeowners should have their system evaluated every three years by a certified expert or according to the guidelines of their state or local health agency. In most cases, tanks should be emptied every three to five years, or when they get clogged. Consider the following when you’re at the sink: It is best not to flush fats, grease, and sediments down the toilet. These compounds have the potential to block the pipes and drainfield of a system. Don’t overburden the toilet bowl: Only flush anything down the toilet or down the drain that belong there. Coffee grounds, dental floss, disposable diapers and wipes, feminine hygiene products, cigarette butts, and cat litter, to name a few items, may all clog and potentially damage sewage systems. Don’t Put Too Much Pressure on Your Drain: Make use of less water and space out your water use. Plumbing leaks should be repaired, and faucet aerators and water-saving items should be installed. To avoid overloading a water system that hasn’t been pumped recently, spread out your laundry and dishwashing loads throughout the day. Ensure Your Drainfield Is Safe: Inform guests that they should not park or drive on a system’s drainfield since the weight of the vehicle might harm or interrupt subsurface flow.
See also:  How To Fill An Abandon Septic Tank? (TOP 5 Tips)

The Environmental Protection Agency’s SepticSmart program teaches households about proper septic system care and maintenance throughout the year. As a bonus, it acts as an online resource for industry practitioners as well as local governments and community organizations, offering access to resources that may be used to educate customers and locals. Visit this website for information on how to properly maintain your septic system.

Frequently Asked Questions

How much does a permit set you back? District Health Department No. 2 provides a wide range of services for which licenses and fees are required. Any permit’s current cost may be determined by referring to the fee schedule on this page or contacting the District Health Department No. 2 office in your area. How long does it take to have a permit approved or denied? Site assessments will be done within eight (8) business days of receipt of the application and cost, in accordance with the rules of District Health Department No.

  1. It is possible that this period will vary owing to a variety of reasons such as incomplete applications, the complexity of the project, the participation of other authorities, and harsh weather conditions.
  2. What is the procedure for obtaining a “perc test?” A “perc test” is a broad phrase that refers to the soil assessment that is performed during a vacant land or septic permit site examination, among other things.
  3. An individual must submit a completed application along with the required money to the health department, which will then conduct the site evaluation that has been requested by the individual.
  4. Both forms of assessments are carried out in the same manner as one another.

The primary difference is that, if approved, a septic permit evaluation authorizes the construction of a sewage disposal system, provides specific construction specifications, and has an expiration date, whereas a well permit evaluation does not authorize the construction of a sewage disposal system.

Vacant land assessments do not have a set end date, and as a result, they are often performed in instances where the property is unlikely to be developed for a long length of time.

Important to note is that a vacant land evaluation approval does not imply authorization to construct a wastewater treatment system; rather, an application to construct a wastewater treatment system must be submitted and a construction permit issued before any wastewater treatment system construction can begin.

  1. The seasonal high water table is the maximum level or elevation of groundwater at which the soil is flooded by groundwater during the regularly wet seasons of the year.
  2. The inspection of soils, soil saturation, soil mottling (during dry seasons of the year), soil structure, historical records, technical data, or other verifiable data may be used to identify the seasonal high water table.
  3. To ensure that new construction sites comply with current District Health Department No.
  4. How can I keep my septic system in good working order?
  5. Septic tanks should be opened and examined at least once a year, and excessive sludge or scum should be removed if necessary.
  6. Aside from that, practicing water conservation is a wise decision.
  7. Using the sewage disposal system to dispose of sump pump water, water softener recharge water, and storm water runoff is not recommended.

It is critical to repair leaky fittings as soon as possible.

It is important to note that septic tanks are the major source of treatment for residential sewage since they contain huge quantities of bacteria that are necessary for the treatment and breakdown of sewage wastes.

It is critical not to use excessive amounts of cleansers or disinfectants in the septic tank since they can interfere with the bacteriologic activities that occur in the tank.

Avoid using your waste disposal unit excessively since these units increase the quantity of particulates entering your system that are tough to break down and so should be avoided.

Is it possible for me to install my own septic system?

A final inspection by the health department must be performed prior to the system being used to ensure that it has been installed in accordance with the permit specifications and the requirements of the local sanitary code.

What if I require a copy of a permit for a system that is already in place?

The following information will be required by the health department staff in order to find an existing septic system and permit: the township, street address, subdivision and lot number (if applicable), property tax ID number, year of construction, and the names of any prior owners. Request Form

Septic System (Onsite Wastewater Treatment Systems, OWTS) Permit Information

The Central Coast Water Board needs a permit for any new or replacement septic system, which may be obtained through your local municipality (City or County) or the Central Coast Water Board. Is there a Local Agency Management Plan in place in your county? Permits from the Central Coast Water Board are necessary for septic systems if any of the following conditions are met:

  • Septic systems that are either new or replacement systems that do not fulfill the standards of Tier 1 of the OWTS Policy
  • New or replacement septic systems in the jurisdiction of Santa Barbara County or Monterey County that do not meet the conditions and requirements of an approved LocalAgency Management Program (currently, Santa Barbara County and Monterey County have approved programs) or Tier 1 of the OWTS Policy are prohibited. Have a predicted flow of more than 3,500 gallons per day and are located outside of the jurisdiction of Santa Barbara County or Monterey County, respectively. It should be noted that the maximum flow permitted under Tier 1 of the OWTS Policy is 3,500 gallons per day. Unless the waste stream comes from a commercial food service establishment, it receives high-strength wastewater. High-concentration wastewater from a commercial food service establishment is sent to the treatment plant. 1. has biochemical oxygen demand exceeding 900 mg/L
  • Or 2. does not have an appropriately sized and functional oil/grease interceptor. Septic systems that accept a substantial volume of waste from RV holding tanks are considered high-risk.

Does a repair need a permit?

A permit from the Central Coast Water Board is not required for the following repairs:

  • Minor repairs (for example, replacement of a distribution box, repair of a damaged pipe connection, or replacement of a septic tank cover)
  • Maintenance and replacement of major components for systems that conform with Tier 1 of the OWTS Policy or with the criteria and requirements of an approved Local Agency management Program (currently Santa Barbara County and Monterey County have approved programs). For example, baffle failure, tank structural integrity failure, or the dispersion system no longer effectively percolating the wastewater are all instances of extensive repairs.

A permit or license from the Central Coast Water Board is necessary for any repairs that do not match the requirements of either of the two bullet points above. Contact the Central Coast Water Board at [email protected] to see whether your repair is eligible for an authorization letter or whether it necessitates the obtaining of a permit. An authorisation letter is completely free of charge.

What is the process to apply for a permit?

Applicants for permits should present the following documents:

  • A completed Form 200, which can be found at the following addresses: A Report of Waste Discharge is one of the components of Form 200. For projects that do not comply with the requirements of OWTS Policy Tier 1, please follow the instructions below when completing the Report of Waste Discharge. The cost of an application is determined by the complexity of the system. This cost is updated on an annual basis and may be found on the Water Quality Fees webpage at the following link:. The price for simple systems is 50 percent of the cost of a 3C rated discharge. Choose the Water Quality Amount Schedule link for the most recent fiscal year, search up the fee for a 3C discharge, then divide the fee by two
  • If you have any questions or would like to submit your application, please email [email protected] or call (805) 542-4787. Our email system is capable of handling attachments up to 50 MB in size. We encourage you to contact us if you do not receive a confirmation that we have accepted your submission.

Other Frequently Asked Questions

To be added to our interested parties list and get notifications on septic system permits, fill out our email subscription form and pick “Septic Systems” from the drop-down menu.

Onsite Sewage FAQ – Permitting

What is the process for obtaining a building permit for a septic tank system or other onsite sewage treatment and disposal system (OSTDS)? Septic tank permits are issued by the Environmental Health Section of the Florida Department of Health’s local county health department offices, which are located in each county. Please keep in mind that many counties have local rules that may go beyond the standards of the state for OSTDS compliance. What is the procedure for submitting an application for a permit?

Click here to download and complete an Application Form (DH4015, page 1) It is necessary to do a Site Evaluation (DH4015, page 3) in order to establish the circumstances on your land, and it must be done by a trained specialist.

In addition, the total permitting price will be determined by your county health department based on the type of system that is required for your property and the services that you want they execute.

Standards for Septic Tanks Section 381.0065 of the Florida Statutes (F.S.) and Chapter 62-6 of the Florida Administrative Code (F.A.C.) contain standards for septic tank systems and other OSTDS.

Septic Tank Permits – Northeast Health District

We provide a variety of services through our sewage program that contribute to the protection of public health as well as the preservation of Georgia’s natural resources. Among these services are septic tank permits, repair permits, existing system evaluations, site evaluations, and subdivision plan reviews, among other things. Inspections are necessary for septic tank permits as well as for septic tank repairs and replacements. According to the Rules and Regulations for On-Site Sewage Management Systems, an Environmental Health Specialist conducts each inspection in accordance with the results of the previous inspection (Chapter 511-3-1).

See also:  How Do You Decommission A Septic Tank In Oregon? (Solved)

Georgia’s groundwater, drinking water, and surface water are protected from hazardous organisms and chemicals thanks to the regulations established by our district to govern the construction and repair of on-site sewage systems.

The State of Georgia’s Division of Public Health has also published two more useful resources: the Homeowner’s Guide to On-Site Sewage Management Systems and Understanding Your Septic System, both of which are available online.

Links to Important Documents Counties from coast to coast Pumpers who are certified in the state of Georgia Georgia Licensed and Certified Installers Soil Classifiers are a type of soil classification system.

In Walton County, the Walton County Service Request Form, the Walton County Environmental Health Site Evaluation Form, the Walton County Subdivision Application, and the Walton County Lot Size Ordinance are all available. The most recent update was made on October 28, 2020.

Septic Permit Process

Systems that are brand new Repairing an Existing System The Septic System Installation Procedure

New Septic Systems

When it comes to acquiring a permit to build a new septic system in Sacramento County, the procedure differs depending on where in the county you intend to put the system. These are referred to as Standard or Test Drill zones in the industry. To find out where your parcel is located, click on the Test Drill Map link provided below.

Standard Systems

One dry well (seepage pit) per bedroom, 35-40 feet deep, and a minimum 1,200 gallon septic tank are required for the usual installation area for residential septic systems in the United States. Therefore, soil testing is not necessary in the standard area. If your lot is in a subdivision, you should consult with the Liquid Waste Program personnel about the design.

Test Drill Areas

If you are located in an experimental drill area, you will be obliged to do some form of soil testing. Test drills are scheduled through Environmental Compliance by appointment only, and at least 24 hours in advance of the scheduled test drill. The attendance of EnvironmentalCompliance personnel is required for these appointments. This test requires the use of a drilling rig capable of digging a hole 40-50 feet deep and at least 1 12 feet in diameter. When a septic system contractor is engaged to build the system, he or she will often drill a test hole in the ground.

It is occasionally necessary to utilize a backhoe to perform test drilling in regions where high water tables restrict the use of conventional seepage pits.

In other cases, test drills may not offer enough information about the soil to allow Environmental Compliance personnel to build the system.

Each of these companies employs certified specialists who are authorized by law to conduct soil testing and provide design reports for evaluation by the Department of Environmental Quality.

  • Civil engineers who are registered, geologists who are registered, and environmental health specialists who are registered

If this sort of testing is necessary, it has the potential to significantly raise the overall cost of the septic system construction. The Liquid Waste Program staff (916-875-8400) must be contacted if your property is located in the Sacramento River Delta or the Garden Highway region in order to establish the sort of testing that is necessary.

Septic System Repairs (Existing Systems)

There is a difference between the procedure for obtaining a permit to repair an existing failing septic system and the process for obtaining an additional permit for installing a new septic system.

Repairs in the non-test region (the section of the Test Drill Map that is not hatched) can be divided into two categories:

  1. A system that was installed previous to the implementation of current codes must be completely replaced. The permission procedure for this sort of system would be nearly identical to the method detailed above for a new system permit. Expansion of a system that has been established according to current code and has a permit on file with this department by adding more leaching capacity (drywells, leach lines, or trenches). Current code requirements ask for complete replacement of the original leaching system
  2. This is not always possible.

Before a permit is issued in a test area, test drills or other forms of soils evaluations are normally carried out in the region. If specific requirements are satisfied, it may be possible to avoid doing these tests. These are the requirements that must be met: Repairs: A.If the following conditions are met, test drills can be waived and a 100 percent replacement of the original system can be installed:

  1. The original installation permit may be used to verify the design of the original system
  2. The original system has operated without the need for maintenance for a period of 8-12 years
  3. And the original system is still in good working order.

The use of a test drill is required for any repair on a system that is less than 8 years old.

Septic System Application Process

Once you’ve established which sort of septic system is necessary for your parcel, you may apply for a permit to have the system installed on your property. It is necessary to provide a precise plot plan of the proposed system together with the application. Applications can be received on this website, at our office in person, by mail, or by fax. We also accept applications by phone. For further information on the permit fee structure, please contact our office. Take notice that only a licensed contractor is authorized to submit an application and construct a septic system.

Septic systems can only be installed by contractors who hold contractor’s licenses that have the following designation:

  • Plumbing (C-36)
  • Sanitation (C-42)
  • General A Engineering (C-36)

Property owners who do not have a contractor’s license may install a septic system, but only if the owner-builder does the septic system installation alone or herself. Additional information may be found in theOwner – Builder Policy.


Staff from Environmental Compliance will evaluate the permit when it has been entirely filled out and paid for by the permit applicant. You will need to submit your application and plot plan through email, fax, or by dropping them off at EMD’s public service counter. In the Sacramento County Environmental Management Department, the Environmental Compliance Division is located at 11080 White Rock Rd., Suite 200 in Rancho Cordova, CA 9567 and can be reached at 916-875-844 or 916-875-8513 (fax).

OWTS (Sewage) Systems: Procedure for Obtaining a Permit

  1. The application for an OWTS Construction Permit must be completed and signed by the applicant. Complete just the sections on page 1 and the sketch plan of the property on the Site Plan Sheet, and do not include any other sections (page 2). It is not necessary to make any entries on the following pages. If an up-to-date survey map is available, it should be supplied with the application together with the application. Detail information requested in the site sketch can be sketched out on the survey map, and the Site Plan Sheet will not need to be completed in this situation. If your application is not complete, it will be returned to you
  2. If you require assistance, please contact us. If the lot is a part of a subdivision that has been authorized, please include a copy of the subdivision’s approved lot plan. Major deviations from the authorized design will need the preparation of a new plan by a Professional Engineer. Return the completed application and money to the Tompkins County Health Department. It is not possible for the Health Department to take any action until the charge has been paid. Make an appointment with the Health Department to have a site inspection and soil tests performed. We make every effort to schedule appointments for undeveloped lots or building conversions within one week, and for replacement systems within 48 hours, wherever possible. Fill in the soil test holes according to the instructions provided below
  3. If at all feasible, the applicant should meet with the inspector on the job site. If it is not practicable, mark the positions of test holes and the four corners of the proposed building site with stakes or other markings. Also, make a note of the position of the well. Place a sign or marking visible from the road to indicate the location of the lot to assist the inspector in locating the property.

Instructions for Preparing Soil Test Holes

Please contact Dig Safely New York at (800) 962-7962 prior to digging, drilling, or blasting!

A. Deep Hole

  1. It will be necessary to drill a test hole to a depth of three (3) feet below the lowest component of the subsurface leaching system in order to determine how far down the water table, rock, and hard pan extend. A backhoe will be required to dig this hole. The hole must be excavated in the presence of a representative from the Department of Health. When installing a tile field at a depth of two (2) feet or greater, a test hole at least five (5) feet deep is necessary in the area of installation. All test holes must be appropriately covered to prevent accidents and must be refilled after the inspection.

B. Percolation Test Holes

  1. To avoid confusion, drill three (3) holes one (1) foot square, to a depth of 24 inches, and spaced 30 feet apart in a triangle, in the area of the proposed absorption trenches, unless otherwise instructed. Always keep at least 100 feet away from any well area or stream, even those on neighboring properties. Percolation holes that are 24 inches deep must be excavated using a hand shovel, not a backhoe. If the lot is in a subdivision, the inspector may need handdug holes of varying depths, which may be required by the inspector. Repair any smeared soil surfaces on the sides and bottom of the test holes with scratching motions. This increases the accuracy of the exam
  2. Make sure to clean out all of the loose debris from the holes and presoak them the day before the test by filling the holes halfway with water and letting it to leak out
  3. To protect each test hole from severe rain or freezing weather, cover each one with plastic, plywood, or a comparable material. Make sure there are water containers available on the premises. For each test hole, a minimum of five (5) liters of water is required. In some cases, depending on the soil profile found in the deep hole, these test holes may prove to be ineffective. However, it is advised that these test holes be prepared regardless of the outcome in order to avoid delays and schedule issues.

Procedure for Obtaining a Certificate of Completion

  1. During installation of the sewage disposal system, it is essential that it adhere to the authorized plan or building permit. Prior to using the system and/or occupying the building serviced, the system must be examined and approved by the appropriate authorities. Make arrangements for a final inspection of the system prior to covering any component of the installation with a protective covering. Appointments for final inspections must be scheduled with the Health Department at least 24 hours ahead of time. Installations that have been approved will get a Certificate of Completion in the mail.
See also:  How To Do A Online Search For My Septic Tank Permit? (Question)

Additional Information for the Homeowner

If you hire a contractor to perform the construction work, it is in your best interests to insist on a set price for the completed system, which is subject to final approval of the system and issuing of a Certificate of Completion by the Department of Health and Human Services. Septic system for a typical residential property. An example of a two-compartment septic tank is shown in Figure 1. Figure 1. Soil absorption field. Figure 2. Perforated pipe for effluent disposal. Figure 3. Gravel, sand and loam soil.

  1. Geotextile fabric.
  2. A septic tank that is not cleaned every 2 to 4 years (or yearly if garbage grinders are used) may fail and need the replacement of your new sewage treatment system, depending on the quantity of grease, soap scum, toilet waste, and other solid items that are discharged to the tank.
  3. Whenever the combined depth of sludge and foam equals 1/4 of the total liquid depth, it is required to clean the system.
  4. Tanks should not be cleaned or disinfected once they have been cleaned.
  5. The County Health Department can provide you with a list of individuals who are allowed to pump septic tanks in the county.
  6. Never enter a septic tank, or any tank, for your own safety.

The normal use of home detergents and chemicals will have no negative impact on your treatment system’s performance. Use of so-called septic tank cleansers or conditioners should be avoided since they have not been proven to be effective and may instead cause harm to the system.

Water Supply Systems

If you intend to use a well for your water supply, it is advised that you use a drilled well. As a last resort, other sources of water such as natural springs, hand-dug wells, and surface water such as streams should be considered. Requests for information on the design of these water systems will be fulfilled by the Health Department upon receipt of the request. Well drillers must be registered with the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC). Drinking water should be free of pathogens and substances that are hazardous to human health.

The New York State Department of Health maintains a list of New York State Certified Laboratories.

10/11/2005 (Revised 10/11/2005)

DPS – Septic Permit Process – Department of Permitting Services

Continue to the main content Updates to the Vaccine and Priority Group Information in COVID-19 In Montgomery County, a Septic System Permit (also known as Onsite or Individual Sewage Disposal System Permit) is required to ensure that any septic system installed meets all current County and State standards relative to minimum setbacks associated with the protection of all residents’ and the environment’s health.

  • Is it necessary for me to obtain a permit? Septic system permits are necessary for the installation of new septic systems to service existing homes as well as the upgrading or replacement of an existing septic system to allow a construction addition.
  • Is my permit about to expire?
  • When the permission expires, a new application and fee are required to be submitted.
  • Septic system permits are typically issued within two weeks following the submission of a complete application package, assuming that the property is qualified for permit issuance in the first place.

On Site Sewage System, Large, Operating Permit

The Department of Health (DOH) examines engineering plans, design and construction documentation, as well as the installation of on-site sewage systems that treat residential-strength sewage with a peak daily flow ranging from 3,500 to 100,000 gallons at any common point in the system’s design. When a large on-site sewage system (LOSS) is employed, the Department of Health and Human Services (DOH) grants permissions and yearly operating licences to guarantee that sewage is adequately treated and that public health and the environment are maintained over the long term.

  • Treatment takes place in a septic tank or similar type of treatment system, as well as in the subsurface drainfield, if applicable.
  • Construction submittals and design submittals must be prepared by a registered professional engineer who holds a valid license under Chapter 18.43 RCW.
  • Permits and reviews for other related activities For minor systems (with a peak daily flow of less than 3,500 gallons), the local health body in the county where the property is situated evaluates and approves the proposed treatment system before it is built.
  • For sludge utilization initiatives, it is the responsibility of local health authorities to assess and provide approval.

Ecology regulates and issues permits for on-site sewage systems that discharge directly to surface water, as well as systems that discharge to groundwater through a drainfield in situations where groundwater is in hydraulic continuity with surface water, according to the Environmental Protection Agency.

Who Issues this Permit?

Department of Health and Human Services

What Activities Require this Permit?

An operating permit is required for the installation and operation of LOSS to treat residential-strength sewage through septic tanks or other treatment processes, followed by distribution through drainfields where the daily peak flow is between 3,500 and 100,000 gallons per day at any common site.

How Much Will this Permit Cost?

There are payments associated with this permit, including project and permitting fees. It is possible to get a pricing schedule by calling WAC 246-272-3000.

Do I Need to Include Anything with my Application?

To submit a project review submission form for a new LOSS, it is necessary to include a check for $800, which serves as the first review cost. On the basis of the department’s design flow approval, the owner of a planned new LOSS must submit the first operating permit fee in order to begin operations. The applications must be accompanied by the yearly operating permit fee as well as the renewal charge. The Department of Health and Human Services will determine the permit price for an existing LOSS that has not previously obtained a DOH permit based on the information provided in the application and will pay the system owner.

Is the Decision on my Permit Dependent on Anything Besides the Information in my Application?

The operating permission for a new LOSS will not be provided until the design and specifications have been evaluated and approved by the city. The permit requirements will be based on the LOSS regulation, which is found in Chapter 246-272B WAC, and will be designed to safeguard public safety and the environment. Demonstration of compatibility with local government planning is one of the requirements for project submission. Due to the fact that excavation will take place, the project may additionally need to comply with the regulations of the Department of Archaeological and Historic Preservation.

How Long Will it Take to Review my Application?

Within 30 days after receipt of a completed operating permit application and all associated payments, the permit will be issued.

Where do I Submit my Application?

Each and every application for an operating permit:LOSS Program The Washington State Department of Health is located at PO Box 47824 in Olympia, Washington 98504. Projects on the Westside: The Loss of Sight Program Washington State Department of Health PO Box 47824 Olympia, WA 98504-7824 Washington State Department of Health Eastside The Loss of Sight Program is being run by the Washington State Department of Health, which is located at 16201 East Indiana Avenue, Suite 1500 in Spokane Valley.

How Long is my Permit Valid?

The operating permission for LOSS is valid for one year from the date of issuance and must be renewed on an annual basis. The approval to construct or alter a LOSS is valid for two years from the date of grant. If it expires prior to the start of construction, all procedural approvals, as well as the operating permit, are null and invalid.

Before the initial permission expires, the owner may file a written request for a single extension of up to two years before the approval expires. The operating permit for pre-construction activities is valid for one year and must be renewed on an annual basis.

What is the Appeal Process for the Permit?

An application or permit holder who disagrees with a departmental decision involving a permit, certificate, approval, or fine may submit a written request to the Department of Health and Human Services (DOH) for an adjudication. Third parties that are dissatisfied with permission decisions for a LOSS with a peak daily flow greater than 14,500 gallons may also make a written request for an adjudicative process with the appropriate regulatory authority. An adjudicative procedure of this nature will be in accordance with Chapter 34.05 RCW.

Notes / Comments:

Application Information:The “Project Submittal Form,” which is required for project evaluation and approval for a new LOSS and is available online at LOSS project submission form for large on-site sewage system (LOSS) construction (Word). The application for an existing LOSS that does not have a prior DOH operating permission will be delivered to the owner by the Department of Health and Human Services. To acquire the form, you must contact the LOSS program.

The application for the first permit is not necessary until the Department of Health and Human Services (DOH) has approved all of the requisite project submittals.

Contact the Department of Health and Human Services’ Office of Environmental Health and Safety, Wastewater Management Section, at (360) 236-3382 or [email protected] for additional information about wastewater management.

Permit Timeliness Results

The data collection on permit timeliness is being done in response to aState Auditor’s Performance Audit andRCW 43.42A. Each regulatory agency devised a strategy to increase the clarity, predictability, and timeliness of permit approvals. Each agency takes into account the user’s experience to ensure that permit help is simple to use, convenient to obtain, and developed in a customer-friendly manner for the benefit of the consumer. The Governor’s Office for Regulatory Innovation and Assistance requests that agencies report their progress (ORIA).

See the most recent report here:.

The following are the outcomes of the performance data analysis: Application for a permit is expected to take the agency an estimated amount of time to process (Definition) The average number of days it takes from receipt to completion is 2 days.

An estimate of the amount of time the agency will take to issue a permit decision (Definition) The average number of days it takes from the time an application is completed to the time a decision is made is 6.

The maximum number of days that can elapse between the completion of the application and the decision is 25. (Based on 350 submissions in 2020, these are the preliminary findings.)

Where can I get permitting assistance?

Phone numbers for customer service include: Tumwater (360-236-3382), Spokane (509-329-2100), or 1-800-525-0127 (for TTY users, dial 711).

Statewide Contact:

Department of Health Division of Environmental Public Health Wastewater Management Section 243 Israel Rd SE Tumwater WA 98501 PO Box 47824, Olympia, WA 98504-7824 Telephone: (360) 236-3382 Email:wastewatermg[email protected]: Permit information last updated 2/25/2021

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *