How To Report Septic Tank Violations In Blount County Tn? (TOP 5 Tips)

What is the Blount County Department of Environmental health?

  • The Blount county Department of Environmental Health operates under the rules and regulations that govern subsurface sewage disposal systems, set forth by the Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation, a Division of Groundwater Protection.

Who regulates septic systems in Tennessee?

The Jackson Madison County Health Department, Environmental Health Section, regulates the permitting of new conventional sewage disposal systems and the repair of systems that have failed or are not functioning properly.

Do you have to have a septic tank in Tennessee?

Who Needs One? Any individual or property owner who desires to have a subsurface sewage disposal (septic) system installed on their property or requiring repair to an existing faulty system must get a Septic System Construction Permit.

Is dumping GREY water illegal in Tennessee?

The gray water disposal laws in Tennessee, for example, are basically the same as those for blackwater. An advantage of the lack of regulation in these states is that there are usually fewer laws preventing grey-water recycling, as long as you follow common-sense guidelines.

Which agency approves septic tank installations in Tennessee?

Which agency approves septic tank installations? The Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation must give its approval before construction of something on a residential property can begin.

What are the new septic tank regulations?

Under the new rules, if you have a specific septic tank that discharges to surface water (river, stream, ditch, etc.) you are required to upgrade or replace your septic tank treatment system to a full sewage treatment plant by 2020, or when you sell a property, if it’s prior to this date.

Are plastic septic tanks legal in Tennessee?

Tennessee Septic Tanks Save up to 50% on plastic septic tanks. These septic tanks are state approved for use in the state of Tennessee.

Can a homeowner install his own septic system in Tennessee?

(1) No property owner or installer of a subsurface sewage disposal system shall construct, alter, extend, or repair subsurface sewage disposal systems within the State of Tennessee unless he holds a valid construction permit issued by the Commissioner.

How do you know if a house has a septic system?

One way to determine whether or not your home has a septic system or is served by the public sewer system is to look at your water bill. If you are using a septic system for wastewater management, then you’re likely to see a charge of $0 for wastewater or sewer services from the utility company.

Should seller pump septic tank?

Typically, septic systems only have to be pumped every 3-5 years. Despite this, however, county law mandates the system to be cleared out before the sale of a home. Thus, it’s in the best interest of the seller to wait until there’s a prospective buyer to begin the process.

Does shower water have to go into septic tank?

Only if you have a septic system and no gray water line. If you live in the city or the ‘burbs your shower water is going to go the same place as your sink water, washing machine water, and your toilet water; into the sewer system. If you live in a small town or out in the country, you probably have a septic system.

Is kitchen sink water GREY or black?

Gray water in California is defined as water from showers and baths, washing machines, and bathroom sinks. Black water in California is defined as water from kitchen and toilet sinks.

How do you bypass a septic tank?

If you need to bypass or condemn your septic system, there are 2 possibilities: scenario 1: you preserve your existing pipes for your new connection empty the tank remove the ventilation cap connect the pipes back-fill the pit with the gravel or sand scenario 2: you are setting up a different network pump out the tank

Is net listing legal in Tennessee?

07 “NET PRICE” LISTING. No broker or affiliate broker shall accept or enter a listing based on a “net price” (i.e., a price excluding the customary commission and expenses associated with the sale). Authority: T.C.A. § 62-1311.

Which entity administers license law in Tennessee?

-The Tennessee Real Estate Broker License Act is the law; –the Tennessee Real Estate Commission is the enforcement.

How much does a perk test cost in TN?

Perc testing typically costs $750 to $1,850 or $1,300 on average. On the high end, you might pay as much as $3,000 depending on local regulation and the size of the leach field or infiltration basin needed.

Septic System Construction Permit

If an individual or a property owner want to have a subsurface sewage disposal (septic) system constructed on their land or if they need to repair an existing malfunctioning system, they must get a Septic System Construction Permit from the City of San Diego. Septic System Assistance Division County Map (Division Septic System Assistance County Map)

What Information Must I Provide?

Applicant’s information can be submitted using the web portal*, and it includes the following:

  • Identify the landowner’s name and address, as well as the location or site’s size and number of occupants (including number of bedrooms), water consumption amounts, whether there is an excavated basement, whether there are basement plumbing fixtures, whether the house and lot have been staked, and the name of the installer (if any). Drawing showing the property boundaries, home site position, well location, spring location, planned roadway and utilities, and driving instructions to the site are included in this document. For large conventional or alternative systems, soil maps are created by a soil scientist (if necessary), and system design is completed by a licensed engineer.
See also:  How To Make My Septic Tank Work After Having It Emptied? (Solved)

*Please keep in mind that the Division suggests that you apply online in order to expedite the application processing. Paper applications, on the other hand, will continue to be accepted at the relevant Environmental Field Office. (CN-0971, Form CN-0971)

Helpful Lists:

  • The Division of Water Resources is a division of the Department of Water Resources. CONSULTANTS APPROVED BY THE DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE
  • INACTIVE INSTALLERS- This list, grouped by county, covers those persons who have valid permits to construct, install, modify, or repair a septic system. It should be noted that installation permits are valid across the state, not only in the counties indicated. A separate permission may be required in contract counties such as Blount and Davidson counties as well as Hamilton and Jefferson counties as well as Knox and Madison counties as well as Shelby and Williamson counties. Individuals possessing valid licenses to remove (pump) household septage from septic tanks, holding tanks, portable toilets, or other similar sewage treatment or disposal facilities are listed on this page as “Active Pumpers.”

How Will My Application Be Processed?

Applicants should submit their completed application forms, along with the required application costs, to the Division of Water Resources at the relevant Environmental Field Office. The application is subjected to a thorough examination, and the applicant is notified when the examination is completed. The review procedure typically takes ten days, and it must be completed within 45 days of the day the application was submitted, unless an extension has been granted.

What Fees Are Required?

New Conventional or Large Diameter Gravelless Pipe SSDS Permit $400 up to 1000 gallons per day design flow$100 for each additional 1000 gpd flow
New Conventional or Large Diameter Gravelless Pipe SSDS Construction Inspection $100
New Alternative SSDS Permit $500 up to 1000 gallons per day design flow$150 for each additional 1000 gpd flow
Alternative SSDS Construction Inspection $200
Experimental SSDS Permit $500
Repair Permit No permit fee
Repair Construction Inspection $100

What Are My Rights and Responsibilities After the Permit is Approved?

The applicant has the authority to carry out the activities that were granted in the permission application. They are responsible for notifying the Department of any changes to the information in the application. The applicant is responsible for complying with any state legislation and regulations that may be applicable. A system’s installation must be reported to the Division by the applicant or installer of the SSDS so that it may be examined and certified as compliant. Applicants who have had their permits rejected, suspended, or cancelled have the opportunity to file an appeal with the appropriate authority.

What Are the Division’s Rights and Responsibilities After the Permit is Approved?

During each SSDS installation, the Division inspects the system to confirm that it was installed in line with the permit conditions and regulatory requirements. In the event that an applicant fails to comply with state legislation or departmental rules, the Division has the authority to revoke, suspend, or refuse the issue of a permit. Any individual who violates or fails to comply with state legislation, rules, or regulations may be susceptible to civil fines as a result of their actions.

Whom Do I Contact For Applications, Assistance and Other Information?

Applicants can acquire applications and information from the Environmental Field Office that is most convenient for them.

Applicants may refer to the following publications for further information:

  • TDEC Rule 0400-48-01: Regulations to Govern Subsurface Sewage Disposal Systems
  • TCA Section 68-221-401.414: Subsurface Sewage Disposal Systems
  • TDEC Rule 0400-48-01: Regulations to Govern Subsurface Sewage Disposal Systems

Alabama Department of Public Health (ADPH)

The Blount County Health Department may be reached at (205) 274-2120, Monday through Friday, between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., except holidays, for further information regarding any environmental services.

Food Service Sanitation

Located in Calhoun County, Alabama, the Environmental Health Division is responsible for the permitting and inspection of all food service establishments in the county.

Establishment Inspection Scores

Scores from inspections represent just the level of compliance with minimal health requirements at the time of the inspection. Scores are assigned on a scale of one hundred points. Establishments that receive an 85 or above on the inspection are examined at least once every 120 days. A minimum of every 60 days is required for establishments with a score of less than 85. In order to improve your score between 60 and 70, you must take prompt corrective action within 48 hours. If a restaurant receives a score of less than 60, it is forced to close immediately until it can get an 85 or above.

Establishments that have major violations (critical items are highlighted in red on the food service report sheet) that cannot be remedied at the time of the inspection are re-inspected within 10 days of the original inspection. Check out the ratings of food establishments.

Other Environmental Services

  • Investigation of public health nuisance complaints
  • Hotel, public pool, jail, and body art inspections
  • Land application, inspection, and permit processing
  • And other services. Permits for Development of Small and Large Flows
  • Onsite sewage applications and permits, as well as Septic Tank and Grease Trap permits, are all available. Permits for private well water testing
  • Applications and permits for solid waste facilities and vehicles
  • Sewage tank manufacturer permits
  • Inspections and permits for septic tank pumpers
  • And more. Controlling vectors and preventing the spread of rabies
See also:  How Far Does A Septic Tank Have To Be From Dwelling?

The most recent update was made on May 13, 2021.

Anderson County Health Department – Tennessee Environmental Health

Groundwater ProtectionSeptic Tank Permits and Soil SamplingPhone:865- 425-8777Swimming Pool inspectionsPhone:865-425-8810

Food and GeneralAnderson County Environmental specialists inspect every establishment where food and beverages are prepared and served at least twice a year or more often as deemed necessary to ensure compliance with the Hotel, Food Service Establishment, and Public Swimming Pool Act of 1985*. Current food permits and the most recent inspection report must be displayed in a prominent location for the public to view. Environmental Health conducts inspections of child care facilities, as well as their food service operations. Environmental Health licenses and inspects body piercing establishments at least once per year.Consumer complaints and reports of suspected food borne disease outbreaks are promptly and thoroughly investigated in cooperation with county nurses, doctors and epidemiological workers.Employee level training is available free of charge in our county health department every month. Contact us for a schedule of training classes at865-425-8810.

Planning and Codes

Date: Saturday, March 17, 2020 Emergency Operations in Response to COVID-19 are being planned. This is a period when the Planning and Codes Department wishes to be open and accessible to the public, but wishes to restrict as much personal interaction as possible with the general public until further notice. Engagement According to the necessity, the Planning and Codes Department will communicate with the inhabitants of Sullivan County using existing social media platforms, a web site, and news media outlets.

  • In the event that the courthouse is closed, those employees who are not assigned to field operations will be required to work from home.
  • Inspections may take longer to schedule as a result of increased demand.
  • Because of the health and well-being of everyone, we believe it is preferable to keep ourselves away from a structure that is now occupied.
  • Public Meetings Staff will work with applicants to prepare presentations for meetings of the Planning Commission or the Board of Zoning Appeals.
  • Pre-submittals and other meetings will be held by phone conferencing, Zoom, or similar platforms, as opposed to traditional meeting rooms.
  • A drop box will be located outside the department office but inside the courtroom corridor where you will be able to drop off Plats, Plans, and other pertinent documents prior to our meeting.
  • New Permits Have Been Issued New permits can be sought for online at and by visiting

You may also print and submit your completed application to [email protected]

You will be contacted as soon as your application has been evaluated and accepted.

Information of a general nature We would prefer not to have direct contact with the general public at this time.

In the meanwhile, a staff person will be present at the Planning and Codes counter to receive paper applications and payments.

All planning inquiries should be sent to [email protected] or called into our office at 423-323-6440.

Please include as much information as possible in your message and be patient as we make every effort to answer.

If you have any queries or issues about our operations or employee availability, please let us know by getting in touch with our office.

It is possible that this will create a delay and some confusion.

Please keep checking our website for updates, and keep an eye out for more information in the press and on social media as we adjust our operations to better serve the folks of Sullivan County.

COVID -19 Regulations: The COVID-19 policy may be found at the top of the page. Documents to be uploaded: Sullivan County PlanningCodes DepartmentPlanningCodes Document Upload on Facebook: Sullivan County PlanningCodes

South Blount Utility

In the event that you have any issues concerning your system, please call us at (982) 3560. The excellent health habits listed in the following tips and recommendations will assist to ensure that your septic tank system has a long life and requires minimum maintenance. It’s critical to recognize that homeowner education is the first step in establishing an effective sewage treatment and disposal system in the household. A well-informed homeowner might save costly repairs by anticipating and preventing breakdowns before they occur.

Septic tanks are designed to collect and digest all of the waste generated by your home.

The scum rises to the surface of the water.

It is pushed out of the tank into the pressure sewer main.

Excessive grease and oil from the food manufacturing process Hair from a hair cutting session Diapers, rags, cigarette butts, coffee grounds, plastic and rubber items (condoms), and chemical cleansers are examples of waste materials that can be recycled.

Septic tanks that are well-maintained give an excellent level of treatment while also generating wastewater with less oil and particles, which can clog the effluent filter and pump and cause clogging of these devices.

If possible, avoid disposing of anything into the septic tank that hasn’t been consumed first, with the exception of toilet paper and mild detergents.

DO’S AND DON’TS Whenever the alarm goes off, call the South Blount Utilities District at 865-982-3560.

It is possible to quiet the audible alarm by pressing the lit light placed right above the “PUSH TO SILENCE” label on the front of the control panel’s front panel.

Do familiarize yourself with the position of the electrical control panel and make a note of the panel’s identification number.

about the position of any new landscaping or permanent constructions to ensure that the integrity of the septic tank and service lines is not affected.

Except in the case of an emergency, maintenance will be performed within normal business hours.

By limiting the quantity of water that enters your system, you may both lengthen the life of the system and lower the amount of electricity that is consumed.

If at all possible, avoid loading multiple loads in a single day.

The average home uses between 300 and 500 gallons of water each day.

Avoid utilizing waste disposals on a regular basis.

Tank pumping and maintenance are accelerated as a result of the presence of food by-products.

If your tank is located in a high-traffic location, consider erecting an eye-catching roadblock or a row of bushes to deter passing vehicles, unless the tank has been equipped with a special traffic-control lid.


Gases that can be created in the tank, as well as a shortage of oxygen, can be dangerous if not addressed immediately.

WATER SOFTENER BACKWASH SHOULD NOT BE DISPOSED IN THE TANK The backwash brine has high concentrations of chlorides, which can kill microorganisms and prevent the biological digestion that happens in the septic tank from working properly.

Excessive volumes of water should be avoided.

Reduce the amount of water you use by using water conserving equipment such as low flow shower heads and low volume flush toilets.

This increased water will overburden your septic tank system, causing it to fail sooner rather than later.


It is not recommended to dump recreational vehicle (RV) garbage into your septic tank since doing so would increase the quantity of particles entering the septic tank and the frequency with which it will need to be pumped.

If you want to dispose of non-biodegradable products, don’t utilize garbage disposal systems since they increase the amount of solids that enter your septic tank as well as the frequency with which you must pump your septage.

It is not recommended to throw grease down the drain.

BE CAREFUL IF YOU DIG WITHOUT FIRST determining the location of your wastewater system.

However, objects that are readily removed, like as bird baths and picnic tables, are OK to install on top of your system.

If there is any infiltration or input into the system, the pumps will be required to deal with it appropriately.

EXCHANGES FOR HOUSEHOLD HAZARDOUS WASTEEAMMONIA-BASED CLEANERS: Replace the following dangerous items with alternatives that are less hazardous to the environment.

Use a solution of 2 tablespoons White Vinegar to 1 quart of water to clean windows.

DISINFECTANTS: Borax may be used to deodorize water by dissolving 12 cup in a gallon of water.

It is less expensive and will not scratch.

If the discoloration is very stubborn, wipe it with white vinegar in soapy water.

FOR CLEANING FURNITURE AND FLOOR POLISHES: Use a mild oil soap and warm water. To dry, use a soft cloth. Polish using a solution of one part lemon juice to two parts oil (of any sort), or use natural items such as lemon oil or beeswax dissolved in mineral oil to polish.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *