What Kind Of Permit Do I Need For A Septic Tank? (Solved)


  • Any person or firm engaged in the business of pumping septic tanks, holding tanks, grease traps, pit privies or cesspools, or providing or cleaning chemical toilets must operate under permit from the Environmental Health Division (EHD). Any non-permitted sewage pumping companies, vehicles, and/or non-certified drivers caught

Does a septic tank need a permit?

Most small sewage treatment systems and septic tanks will be eligible for an exemption from Permit, but this does depend upon various factors (for example, if your property is close to a nature conservation area the Environment Agency may require that you obtain a permit) details of which can be obtained from the

What are the new regulations for septic tanks?

Under the new rules, if you have a specific septic tank that discharges to surface water (river, stream, ditch, etc.) you are required to upgrade or replace your septic tank treatment system to a full sewage treatment plant by 2020, or when you sell a property, if it’s prior to this date.

Is it legal to install your own septic system in Texas?

It is legal under Texas law to install your own septic tank. However, certain systems cannot be sold to property owners individually and must be sold to factory representatives. Exceptions to this rule are licensed electricians and the person who delivers the tank or septic system to the installation site.

Does a septic tank require building regulations?

Any new septic tank/sewage treatment unit must have both planning permission and building regulations approval. From 1 January 2020 if your waste discharges directly to a river or stream from a septic tank, your apparatus must be updated to take in a small sewage treatment plant or make some other arrangements.

Can you sell a property with a septic tank?

If you’re selling a property with a septic tank, then you must be transparent with buyers about the fact the property uses a one and provide a detailed specification of the system. In fact, You are required by law to inform a buyer in writing about the presence of a septic tank. The age of the system.

Who owns a septic tank?

Whose responsibility is a shared septic tank? Each resident is equally responsible for the shared drainage system, unless stated otherwise in your property deeds. That means that each household must take responsibility for regular drainage maintenance, septic tank emptying and any problems with the septic tank.

Is my septic tank illegal?

No, septic tanks aren’t going to be banned. Septic tanks do a good job of holding back solids and separating solids from liquid, they also offer a small degree of biological cleaning, however the waste that is discharged from them is still very high in ammonia and requires treatment before entering the environment.

How far should a septic tank be from a house?

Most importantly, a septic tank must be at least seven metres from a house, defined as a ‘habitable property’. Septic tanks are built underground and release wastewater slowly into the surrounding environment. For this reason, they must be a set distance away from a home.

How far should a septic tank be from a water course?

Your septic tank, when draining into a drainage field, should be positioned at least 10 metres from any watercourse.

How do I get a septic permit in Texas?

How do I obtain a permit? Applications and planning materials must be submitted to the permitting authority. To find your permitting authority, search by the county the OSSF is to be located. The TCEQ regional office will be the permitting authority in locations where a local jurisdiction has not been authorized.

Who inspects septic systems in Texas?

With a few exceptions, a permit is required to install a septic system in Texas. The Legislature, in the Health and Safety Code, designates the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) as the official agent to investigate and decide whether to approve a permit request.

How much land is needed for a septic system in Texas?

Yes, Texas State Law requires a ½-acre lot with a public water supply connection as a minimum. ANRA can issue a variance to this rule if all setbacks on the septic system design have been met. Requirements may vary by county.

Is planning permission required to replace a septic tank?

Absolutely. However for the replacement system to meet the EPA CoP (and likely the planning conditions) the site must have been deemed suitable for a septic tank based on the Site Suitability Assessment results.

Do you need planning permission for a water tank?

Planning permission is not usually required for systems as they are covered by ‘permitted development’ rights, though it is always a good idea to check with your local planning officer before proceeding with an installation.

Can you still install a septic tank?

According to new regulations passed in 2015, if your septic tank discharges to surface water such as a ditch, stream, canal or river, you will have to upgrade your system to a sewage treatment plant or install a soakaway system by 1 January 2020.

Permits, Licenses and Reports

If you pick an accelerated alternative, please tell the office with your selection of options as soon as possible. Fee for application: $150

  • Step 1: Read and completely complete the Onsite Wastewater System Applicationand send it to your local Environmental Affairs Office. Step 2: An original plat or deed of the land will also be required to be submitted. If you do not have a copy of the plat or deed, you may learn more about how to get one by clicking here. The office will contact you as soon as your application has been received to confirm receipt of your application and to discuss electronic payment alternatives with you. We do not take cash as a form of payment. Please see this sample application, Onsite Wastewater System Application, for a reference guide on how to complete the application. Step 2: Your application will be examined to ensure that all required material has been submitted and is in order. If everything is in order, your application fee will be accepted
  • Otherwise, it will be rejected. Step 3:If a site visit is necessary, the inspector will assess the appropriateness of the property for the installation of a septic system. If the inspector finds that your site is suitable for a typical septic system, he or she will give you with a Permit to Construct document. The inspector will discuss possible solutions with you if the permit is not approved by the inspection team. A request for test pits may be made by the Department in circumstances where the evaluator meets a barrier during the first site evaluation or in cases where it is recognized that an area would require test pits owing to the soil characteristics of the region. The midlands and upstate parts of the state are the most typical locations where soil characteristics necessitate the use of test pits. It is important to note that test pits may not be an option in coastal and sandy locations around the state. Consult with your local office staff for more detailed information on your individual situation. As soon as you have received your Permit to Construct, you should call a professional onsite wastewater system contractor to complete the installation of your septic tank. In Step 5, the installer must call DHEC in order to schedule a time for the septic system to be inspected before it is covered, before completing the septic system installation. After waiting 30 minutes over the scheduled time for a DHEC inspector, a licensed installer has the option to conduct a self-inspection of the installation to ensure that everything is in working order. The installation is required to provide documentation to the Department on the DHEC-approved formD-3978, Contractor Approval to Operate

Expires and modifications to permits: Permits to Construct are valid for five years. If you want to renew your permission after five years, or if you want to make modifications to it after it has been authorized, you must submit a new application and pay the price once again. These regulations authorize the charge and permission in the following ways:

  • Construction permits are valid for five years and can be modified throughout that time. For renewals beyond five years, as well as for modifications after it has been authorized, you must submit a new application and pay the associated charge. These regulations authorize the charge and permit in the following cases:

Because improperly designed septic systems can degrade water quality and cause illness, South Carolina law mandates that all septic systems have site approvals and permits before they can be installed. If you want to construct a home or relocate a prefabricated home on land that is not served by a public or municipal sewer system, you must first seek clearance from the Department of Health and Human Services and a permit to install a septic system. You will be unable to obtain a building permit until you obtain this permit from your local government.

  • Depending on how saturated the soil is, we may not be able to conduct a thorough examination.
  • This is analogous to farmers being forced to postpone the planting or harvesting of their crops.
  • To submit an application for a septic system, you must first download and complete anonsite wastewater application, which you must then submit to your local Environmental Affairs Office.
  • If you have any questions, please contact the Environmental Affairs Office in your area for assistance.

Application Form

Complete the application for a License to Construct or Clean Onsite Wastewater Systems and Self-Contained Toilets by downloading and completing the form. Please contact your local Department of Health and Human Services Environmental Affairs office to make preparations for testing if you are interested in becoming a septic system installation.

License Fees

The following costs are required for onsite wastewater system installations, pumpers/haulers, and pumpers/haulers are required for yearly renewal:

  • Licensing fees for construction are $100, cleaning fees are $100, and a combined construction and cleaning fee is $150
  • A Master Contractor license is $200.

You must pay these costs on an annual basis in order to keep your license active.

An additional late fee will be levied if we do not receive payment by the due date on your invoice. Unless you pay your renewal costs and late fees within 90 days of the due date for your license to operate on septic systems or truck sewage, your license to do so will automatically expire.

Installer and Master Contractor Exams

In order to be approved to construct work with septic systems and/or wastewater disposal, as well as for a Master Contractor license, you must first pass an exam that assesses your knowledge of Regulation 61-56, which is available online. To pass, you must have an 80 percent or higher score. If you do not pass this test on the first try, you can repeat it within 30 days of failing. If you fail the test a second time, you can repeat it after 60 days if you have not passed the first time. You will not be required to repeat the exam once you have been granted a license, provided that you continue to pay the yearly license renewal costs and submit all required paperwork.

Other License Requirements

  • Inspection of Vehicles: The Department of Health and Human Services has the authority to examine any vehicles used to pump and convey sewage. You must keep your vehicle inventory list up to current and on file with the Department of Health and Human Services
  • List of Disposal Facilities Is Required : This includes a list of sewage disposal facilities that you intend to use, together with documented approval from the facilities themselves. It is necessary to keep a record of your activities: You must keep a log (record) of each pumping and disposal load that is transported by each truck. You must make this record of actions accessible to the Department of Health and Human Services upon request.

The following regulations permit the issuance of septic system contractor licenses:

  • Regulation 61-56, Onsite Wastewater Systems
  • Regulation 61-56.1, Permit to Construct or Clean Onsite Sewage Treatment and Disposal Systems and Self-Contained Toilets
  • And Regulation 61-56, Onsite Wastewater Systems Licensing of Onsite Wastewater Systems Master Contractors (Regulation 61-56.2)


Septic Tank Alerts Septic Tank Alerts

Obtaining a Septic System Permit

Once you have received approval for your soil evaluation, you can proceed to apply for your septic permit. Remember to carefully study the soil evaluation provided by our office in order to establish the unique needs for your location. In addition, for any new building development, you will need to secure the following permits:

  • Land use permits from your local township
  • Soil erosion permits from the Drain Commissioner
  • And driveway permits from the Road Commission are all examples of permits that you may need.

Once you have secured these permissions, you will be able to submit an application for a building permit. Further information can be obtained by contacting theLivingston County Building Department (LCBD). The Livingston County Building Department has permitting jurisdiction over the entire county, with the exception of Green Oak Township. If your construction project is located in Green Oak Township, please contact the township’s building department for further information.

How do I apply for my septic system permit?

Fill out and submit a permit application to the Livingston County Health Department – Environmental Health Division at 2300 E. Grand River, Suite 102, Howell, MI 48843, or call (517) 546-9858 for more information. The following information must be included in the application:

  1. Application form that has been completed
  2. For new development, documentation of permanent street address (tax bill, township address form, and so on) is required
  3. Package identification number with ten digits (Only for new construction) A verified survey and legal description (only for new construction)
  4. A copy of a detailed story outline
  5. And Fees that are reasonable
See also:  What Are Risers For A Septic Tank? (Solution)

As soon as these papers are received, a Sanitarian will analyze them and either grant the permit or call you to seek more information within 3-5 business days. Permits will be mailed or picked up at your discretion after they have been issued. Permits that have been issued will be automatically forwarded to the municipality and the Building Official.

How long are my permits valid?

You have one year from the day that your sewage/well permit is obtained to finish the building of your structure. Following that, the permit must be rewritten, and a price must be charged. If any modifications are made that necessitate a site visit, an extra cost may be charged for the visit. What kind of inspections will be performed by Livingston County Environmental Health throughout the building of my septic system and how often? Your permit will include a schedule of inspections that you must adhere to.

  • All inspections will be completed as soon as possible (usually within 24 hours, excluding weekends and holidays).
  • The following are examples of typical inspections: Inspection of the Excavation: All drainfields must undergo an excavation examination before they may be used.
  • In this examination, it is determined whether the drainfield’s size and placement are adequate, as well as whether proper soil conditions are present.
  • For the homeowner’s records, the Sanitarian will create an as-built design of the drainfield site, which will be forwarded to them by the Sanitarian.
  • Grading Inspection: Following the completion of the final inspection, it may be essential to conduct a final grading inspection to see if the septic tanks and drainfield are properly covered, as well as whether surface water is being channeled away from the system.
  • Once all of these requirements are satisfied, the completed permit will be delivered to the relevant building department for review and approval.

In order to obtain further information, please contact: Area Sanitarian (based on your Township) Environmental Health Division of the County of Livingston The following are the rules, regulations, and procedures: Livingston County Sanitary Code, Minimum Requirements for Alternative Systems, and Minimum Requirements for Pressure Mounds are all examples of codes that apply in the county.

Certification Requirements for Septic Tank Installation

A septic tank is a system that is meant to dispose of sewage in a safe manner. When sewage waste material is generated in rural regions, it is digested in a big tank by the action of anaerobic bacteria rather than being transported to a waste water treatment facility. The majority of septic tanks are built to function using a continuous flow approach and feature a two-part construction, with the top compartment used for settling sewage and the bottom compartment used for anaerobic disintegration of sludge in the lower compartment.

Installer Certification or Licensing

Most states require that plumbers and other professionals who build or repair septic tanks be licensed or qualified before they can work on the system. A number of septic-system-related certifications are available in several states, including Texas. The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality lists residential, commercial, and drip-emitter system certifications as examples of what may be obtained. Installation, cleaning/repair, and dismantling of septic tanks are all subject to separate certification requirements in some states.

Septic Tank Professional Exam

For septic tank specialists to be able to build or repair septic systems, they must often pass a rigorous examination. The subjects included in the test vary from state to state, but they often include the following: minimum site requirements for septic tank installation, building standards, suitable connections and venting, waste disposal, and safety concerns. Septic tank professional examinations often include a review of state legislation on the issue, including enforcement measures such as fines for establishing septic systems without a valid permit or permit number.

Septic System Business License

According to the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency, certain states, such as Minnesota, require that septic system-related firms get an extra business license and bonding. It is common for businesses to be required to get and maintain liability insurance, as well as to pay yearly fees and provide documentation that at least one employee of the business holds a valid license or certification to undertake septic system repair. If you are beginning a septic tank installation business, you should make certain that you have all of the necessary insurance and that any staff you recruit have had thorough background checks.

Septic Tank Installation Permit

It is necessary to get a permission from either a state or local government entity, or from both, depending on where you reside in order to build a septic tank. In most circumstances, once you have completed an application and paid the appropriate costs, an inspector will come to your location to inspect the planned site. As soon as your application is approved, you will be provided with a list of licensed septic contractors from which to pick. In most states, septic tank licenses are valid for a period of five years.

Payment of renewal costs, as well as participation in an inspection, are usually required for permit renewal in most cases. If something goes wrong when installing a septic system without a permit, both the workers and the homeowners are put at danger.

Getting a Permit for an On-Site Sewage Facility – Such as a Septic System

A permit is necessary for the construction, installation, alteration, extension, or repair of an On-site Sewage Facility, with a few exceptions as mentioned below (OSSF). Always double-check with your local permitting authority before proceeding. Local permitting programs may be more strict than those mandated by state law in some cases. Texas law provides allow for an OSSF to be excluded from permitting requirements if the OSSF meets the following criteria:

  • If the OSSF serves a single family residence on a tract of land that is 10 acres or larger, it is not a nuisance or a groundwater contaminant
  • All parts of the OSSF are at least 100 feet from the property line
  • The effluent is disposed of on the property
  • And, the single family residence is the only dwelling on the tract of land

It is not necessary to get a permit for emergency repairs (such as the replacement of tank lids, input and outlet devices, and the repair of solid lines), but they must be notified to the appropriate permitting body within 72 hours of the start of the repairs. Emergency repairs are specified in 30 TAC Subchapter D, Section 285.35 of the Texas Administrative Code. Even if a permit is not necessary, the OSSF must adhere to the state’s minimal requirements.

Septic System (Onsite Wastewater Treatment Systems, OWTS) Permit Information

The Central Coast Water Board needs a permit for any new or replacement septic system, which may be obtained through your local municipality (City or County) or the Central Coast Water Board. Is there a Local Agency Management Plan in place in your county? Permits from the Central Coast Water Board are necessary for septic systems if any of the following conditions are met:

  • Septic systems that are either new or replacement systems that do not fulfill the standards of Tier 1 of the OWTS Policy
  • New or replacement septic systems in the jurisdiction of Santa Barbara County or Monterey County that do not meet the conditions and requirements of an approved LocalAgency Management Program (currently, Santa Barbara County and Monterey County have approved programs) or Tier 1 of the OWTS Policy are prohibited. Have a predicted flow of more than 3,500 gallons per day and are located outside of the jurisdiction of Santa Barbara County or Monterey County, respectively. It should be noted that the maximum flow permitted under Tier 1 of the OWTS Policy is 3,500 gallons per day. Unless the waste stream comes from a commercial food service establishment, it receives high-strength wastewater. High-concentration wastewater from a commercial food service establishment is sent to the treatment plant. 1. has biochemical oxygen demand exceeding 900 mg/L
  • Or 2. does not have an appropriately sized and functional oil/grease interceptor. Septic systems that accept a substantial volume of waste from RV holding tanks are considered high-risk.

Does a repair need a permit?

Septic systems that are being installed or replaced that do not fulfill the standards of Tier 1 of the OWTS Policy; Septic systems installed in Santa Barbara County or Monterey County that do not fulfill the terms and standards of an authorized LocalAgency Management Program (currently, both Santa Barbara County and Monterey County haveapproved plans) or Tier 1 of the OWTS Policy are subject to a fine.

Have an estimated flow of more than 3,500 gallons per day and are located outside of the jurisdictions of Santa Barbara County or Monterey County It is important to note that the maximum flow permitted under Tier 1 of the OWTS Policy is 3,500 gallons per day.

has biochemical oxygen demand above 900 mg/L; or 2.

Septic systems that absorb a considerable volume of waste from recreational vehicle holding tanks

  • Minor repairs (for example, replacement of a distribution box, repair of a damaged pipe connection, or replacement of a septic tank cover)
  • Maintenance and replacement of major components for systems that conform with Tier 1 of the OWTS Policy or with the criteria and requirements of an approved Local Agency management Program (currently Santa Barbara County and Monterey County have approved programs). For example, baffle failure, tank structural integrity failure, or the dispersion system no longer effectively percolating the wastewater are all instances of extensive repairs.

A permit or license from the Central Coast Water Board is necessary for any repairs that do not match the requirements of either of the two bullet points above. Contact the Central Coast Water Board at [email protected] to see whether your repair is eligible for an authorization letter or whether it necessitates the obtaining of a permit. An authorisation letter is completely free of charge.

What is the process to apply for a permit?

Applicants for permits should present the following documents:

  • A completed Form 200, which can be found at the following addresses: A Report of Waste Discharge is one of the components of Form 200. For projects that do not comply with the requirements of OWTS Policy Tier 1, please follow the instructions below when completing the Report of Waste Discharge. The cost of an application is determined by the complexity of the system. This cost is updated on an annual basis and may be found on the Water Quality Fees webpage at the following link:. The price for simple systems is 50 percent of the cost of a 3C rated discharge. Choose the Water Quality Amount Schedule link for the most recent fiscal year, search up the fee for a 3C discharge, then divide the fee by two
  • If you have any questions or would like to submit your application, please email [email protected] or call (805) 542-4787. Our email system is capable of handling attachments up to 50 MB in size. We encourage you to contact us if you do not receive a confirmation that we have accepted your submission.

Other Frequently Asked Questions

Form 200, which may be found at the following addresses: The Report of Waste Discharge is one of the components of Form 200. If you are filing a Report of Waste Discharge for a project that does not comply with OWTS Policy Tier 1, please follow the instructions below: 1. It is determined by the complexity of the system. Annual updates to this charge are available on the Water Quality Fees webpage at the following link:. It costs 50% of a 3C rated discharge for simple systems, according to the EPA.

Contact [email protected] or call (805) 542-4787 if you have any questions or would like to submit your application.

Uploaded attachments of up to 50 MB in size are supported by our email system. We encourage you to contact us if you do not receive a confirmation that your submission has been received.

Septic Tank Permits – Northeast Health District

We provide a variety of services through our sewage program that contribute to the protection of public health as well as the preservation of Georgia’s natural resources. Among these services are septic tank permits, repair permits, existing system evaluations, site evaluations, and subdivision plan reviews, among other things. Inspections are necessary for septic tank permits as well as for septic tank repairs and replacements. According to the Rules and Regulations for On-Site Sewage Management Systems, an Environmental Health Specialist conducts each inspection in accordance with the results of the previous inspection (Chapter 511-3-1).

Georgia’s groundwater, drinking water, and surface water are protected from hazardous organisms and chemicals thanks to the regulations established by our district to govern the construction and repair of on-site sewage systems.

The State of Georgia’s Division of Public Health has also published two more useful resources: the Homeowner’s Guide to On-Site Sewage Management Systems and Understanding Your Septic System, both of which are available online.

See also:  How Long Does It Take To Remedate A Septic Tank? (Question)

Links to Important Documents Counties from coast to coast Pumpers who are certified in the state of Georgia Georgia Licensed and Certified Installers Soil Classifiers are a type of soil classification system.

In Walton County, the Walton County Service Request Form, the Walton County Environmental Health Site Evaluation Form, the Walton County Subdivision Application, and the Walton County Lot Size Ordinance are all available. The most recent update was made on October 28, 2020.

Onsite Sewage FAQ – Permitting

What is the process for obtaining a building permit for a septic tank system or other onsite sewage treatment and disposal system (OSTDS)? Septic tank permits are issued by the Environmental Health Section of the Florida Department of Health’s local county health department offices, which are located in each county. Please keep in mind that many counties have local rules that may go beyond the standards of the state for OSTDS compliance. What is the procedure for submitting an application for a permit?

Click here to download and complete an Application Form (DH4015, page 1) It is necessary to do a Site Evaluation (DH4015, page 3) in order to establish the circumstances on your land, and it must be done by a trained specialist.

In addition, the total permitting price will be determined by your county health department based on the type of system that is required for your property and the services that you want they execute.

Standards for Septic Tanks Section 381.0065 of the Florida Statutes (F.S.) and Chapter 62-6 of the Florida Administrative Code (F.A.C.) contain standards for septic tank systems and other OSTDS.

Septic Permit Process

Systems that are brand new Repairing an Existing System The Septic System Installation Procedure

New Septic Systems

When it comes to acquiring a permit to build a new septic system in Sacramento County, the procedure differs depending on where in the county you intend to put the system. These are referred to as Standard or Test Drill zones in the industry. To find out where your parcel is located, click on the Test Drill Map link provided below.

Standard Systems

One dry well (seepage pit) per bedroom, 35-40 feet deep, and a minimum 1,200 gallon septic tank are required for the usual installation area for residential septic systems in the United States. Therefore, soil testing is not necessary in the standard area. If your lot is in a subdivision, you should consult with the Liquid Waste Program personnel about the design.

Test Drill Areas

If you are located in an experimental drill area, you will be obliged to do some form of soil testing. Test drills are scheduled through Environmental Compliance by appointment only, and at least 24 hours in advance of the scheduled test drill. The attendance of EnvironmentalCompliance personnel is required for these appointments. This test requires the use of a drilling rig capable of digging a hole 40-50 feet deep and at least 1 12 feet in diameter. When a septic system contractor is engaged to build the system, he or she will often drill a test hole in the ground.

It is occasionally necessary to utilize a backhoe to perform test drilling in regions where high water tables restrict the use of conventional seepage pits.

In other cases, test drills may not offer enough information about the soil to allow Environmental Compliance personnel to build the system.

Each of these companies employs certified specialists who are authorized by law to conduct soil testing and provide design reports for evaluation by the Department of Environmental Quality. These are the individuals who work in the field:

  • Civil engineers who are registered, geologists who are registered, and environmental health specialists who are registered

If this sort of testing is necessary, it has the potential to significantly raise the overall cost of the septic system construction. The Liquid Waste Program staff (916-875-8400) must be contacted if your property is located in the Sacramento River Delta or the Garden Highway region in order to establish the sort of testing that is necessary.

Septic System Repairs (Existing Systems)

There is a difference between the procedure for obtaining a permit to repair an existing failing septic system and the process for obtaining an additional permit for installing a new septic system. Repairs in the non-test region (the section of the Test Drill Map that is not hatched) can be divided into two categories:

  1. A system that was installed previous to the implementation of current codes must be completely replaced. The permission procedure for this sort of system would be nearly identical to the method detailed above for a new system permit. Expansion of a system that has been established according to current code and has a permit on file with this department by adding more leaching capacity (drywells, leach lines, or trenches). Current code requirements ask for complete replacement of the original leaching system
  2. This is not always possible.

Before a permit is issued in a test area, test drills or other forms of soils evaluations are normally carried out in the region. If specific requirements are satisfied, it may be possible to avoid doing these tests. These are the requirements that must be met: Repairs: A.If the following conditions are met, test drills can be waived and a 100 percent replacement of the original system can be installed:

  1. The original installation permit may be used to verify the design of the original system
  2. The original system has operated without the need for maintenance for a period of 8-12 years
  3. And the original system is still in good working order.

The use of a test drill is required for any repair on a system that is less than 8 years old.

Septic System Application Process

Once you’ve established which sort of septic system is necessary for your parcel, you may apply for a permit to have the system installed on your property. It is necessary to provide a precise plot plan of the proposed system together with the application. Applications can be received on this website, at our office in person, by mail, or by fax. We also accept applications by phone. For further information on the permit fee structure, please contact our office. Take notice that only a licensed contractor is authorized to submit an application and construct a septic system.

Septic systems can only be installed by contractors who hold contractor’s licenses that have the following designation:

  • Plumbing (C-36)
  • Sanitation (C-42)
  • General A Engineering (C-36)

Property owners who do not have a contractor’s license may install a septic system, but only if the owner-builder does the septic system installation alone or herself. Additional information may be found in theOwner – Builder Policy.


Staff from Environmental Compliance will evaluate the permit when it has been entirely filled out and paid for by the permit applicant. You will need to submit your application and plot plan through email, fax, or by dropping them off at EMD’s public service counter. In the Sacramento County Environmental Management Department, the Environmental Compliance Division is located at 11080 White Rock Rd., Suite 200 in Rancho Cordova, CA 9567 and can be reached at 916-875-844 or 916-875-8513 (fax).

Residential Septic System Permit Requirements

Prerequisites for obtaining a Residential Septic System Permit The COVID-19 announcement has been made. We are unable to take in-person appointments at this time due to COVID-19 regulations. Unless otherwise specified, all submissions must be in electronic format. You can send your submission request, as well as any necessary plans, to [email protected] Please wait one working day for a response from our team. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience. Thank you very much for your ongoing support!

  1. To submit your application, you must schedule an appointment.
  2. a new location has been established in the Southern Nevada Health District Main Facility, located at 280 S.
  3. Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m.
  4. (Closed for lunch from 12 to 1 p.m., except on holidays).
  5. All sites, with the exception of Laughlin, take cash, debit cards, Visa, MasterCard, money orders, cashier’s checks, and business checks in addition to credit cards.

At the Laughlin site, cash payments are not permitted. When all of the essential items are received, a member of the health district’s staff will complete the application:

  1. A single set of construction plans
  2. Parcel number assigned by the tax assessor
  3. A copy of the registered deed for the property is required. It is necessary to draft the plot plan to scale and include the following elements: (Use standard Engineer or Architect Scales only)
  • Lot lines and measurements
  • All structures (home, garage, storage shed, temporary trailer, pool, pool equipment, and so on)
  • And any other items of interest. All of the driveways
  • Geographical location of the well and/or surrounding wells, if any
  • A water meter and water supply lines Watercourses (washes, flood control channels, irrigation ditches, and other similar features)
  • Name(s) of the street
  • A directional arrow
  • Distance between the septic system and the home, the well, the property line, the water line, the projected swimming pool, and so on
  • The location of all septic tanks and leach fields on the property is shown in the diagram (seesample plot planPDF 67KB). If you are building a chamber (infiltrator) type field, please request an information package with all of the necessary details.
  1. In the case of properties that are supplied by municipal water (other than the Lakeview Water and Sewer District), a “will serve” letter is necessary. Copy of the Well Driller’s Report for a private well
  2. Well in the community – a copy of the Well Driller’s Report It is necessary to have a copy of the recorded parcel map or recorded subdivision map if a property has been split by parcel map. It is possible that more information may be requested. Depending on the circumstances, this judgment will be made.

It is important to note that no section of the septic system may be located under a driveway or in any other place where vehicles may pass. There are no trees within a 10-foot radius of the septic system. When a permission application is filed, it is evaluated. Permits, on the other hand, will only be issued upon approval by the sewage authority. One to two business days are required for the approval procedure. In order to get the total number of Fixture Units, multiply each fixture by the number of units you have in your collection.

Recommended Dimensions of PipeGravel Leach Field

775 square feet 935 square feet 1165 square feet 1550 square feet 1745 square feet 1940 square feet
12 x 65 12 x 78
18 x 43 18 x 52 18 x 65 18 x 86 18 x 97
24 x 33 24 x 39 24 x 49 24 x 65 24 x 73 24 x 81
30 x 26 30 x 31 30 x39 30 x 52 30 x 58 30 x 65
36 x 43 36 x 49 36 x 54
42 x 47

Minimum Horizontal Separation Distance

Minimum Horizontal Separation Distance From: Septic Tank (in feet) Shallow Absorption System* Deep Absorption System **
Building or Structure 8 8 20
Property Line 10 10 10
Water Supply – Wells 100 100 150
Streams or Watercourses 100 100 150
Soil Disposal Systems 5
Community Water Main Lines 10 25 25
Individual Water Service Lines 10 25 25
* Four feet deep or less from ground surface to bottom of system** Greater than 4 feet deep from ground surface to bottom of system two percolation tests and soil borings will be required.

On December 30, 2020snhd admin2020-12-30T12:28-17-08:00, this page was last updated.

On-Site Sewage Management/Septic Tank Permits

Many of our coastal towns are expanding at a rapid pace and in locations where county and city water and sewer infrastructure may not be available. The Department of Environmental Health’s responsibility is to ensure that on-site sewage management systems are implemented appropriately and in the suitable location in order to reduce the risk of health problems associated with untreated human sewage. We evaluate complaints and inspect repairs made to on-site sewage management systems that are not operating correctly.

  • It is necessary for everyone involved in the building, maintenance, or pumping of on-site sewage management systems to be certified in On-site Sewage Management.
  • In order to obtain further information, contact your county Environmental Health Office.
  • Make an appointment with your county Environmental Health Office to submit the Septic App Fillable, together with zoning clearance and a site layout.
  • You must first inform your local Building Department or Planning and Zoning office if you want to create a subdivision that will use individual septic tanks and/or wells.
  • For further information, contact the Environmental Health Office in your specific county (see Resources).
  • More information may be found by clicking HERE.

Be Septic Smart

Homeowners should follow these simple guidelines:

  • Protect It and Inspect It: In general, homeowners should have their system evaluated every three years by a certified expert or according to the guidelines of their state or local health agency. In most cases, tanks should be emptied every three to five years, or when they get clogged. Consider the following when you’re at the sink: It is best not to flush fats, grease, and sediments down the toilet. These compounds have the potential to block the pipes and drainfield of a system. Don’t overburden the toilet bowl: Only flush anything down the toilet or down the drain that belong there. Coffee grounds, dental floss, disposable diapers and wipes, feminine hygiene products, cigarette butts, and cat litter, to name a few items, may all clog and potentially damage sewage systems. Don’t Put Too Much Pressure on Your Drain: Make use of less water and space out your water use. Plumbing leaks should be repaired, and faucet aerators and water-saving items should be installed. To avoid overloading a water system that hasn’t been pumped recently, spread out your laundry and dishwashing loads throughout the day. Ensure Your Drainfield Is Safe: Inform guests that they should not park or drive on a system’s drainfield since the weight of the vehicle might harm or interrupt subsurface flow.
See also:  What Does A Septic Tank Means? (Perfect answer)

The Environmental Protection Agency’s SepticSmart program teaches households about proper septic system care and maintenance throughout the year.

As a bonus, it acts as an online resource for industry practitioners as well as local governments and community organizations, offering access to resources that may be used to educate customers and locals. Visit this website for information on how to properly maintain your septic system.

Septic & Land Development

When developing land, it is critical for the developer, engineer, or homeowner to schedule a meeting with SWDH in order to explain the project in detail. SWDH requires that you attend this pre-development meeting before proceeding with the formal application process. Download the Subdivision Application from our Document Repository, which may be found under the Land Development category. Contact208-455-5400. After the Idaho Department of Environmental Quality (IDEQ) or a Qualified Licensed Professional Engineer (QLPE) has conducted the necessary reviews of the specifications, the SWDH works in collaboration with the IDEQ to release sanitary restrictions on platted subdivisions that are served by city water and city sewer.

  • for subdivisions including municipal water and city sewage services.
  • The SER can be downloaded from our Document Repositoryunder Land Development.
  • Additionally, depending on the location of the subdivision, the size of the lots, and the density of residences, the SWDH may require a Nutrient Pathogen Study to be completed.
  • When developing property, it is critical for the developer/engineer to organize a meeting with SWDH in order to explain the project in more detail.
  • Download the Subdivision Application from our Document Repository, which may be found under the Land Development category.


Service Description Charges
Subdivision Engineering Report Application Fee $250.00
Cost Per Developable Lot $300.00
Subdivision Application – City Services (Requires DEQ Approval) $150.00
Central/LSAS $1,000 + $100 per 250 gpd
Pre-development site evaluation for commercial or engineered lots (includes multiple test holes and evaluation results) $850.00
Pre Development Meeting (Fee to apply toward SER application if within 12-months of pre-development meeting) $100.00

In order to obtain further information, you may call the SWDH headquarters at 208-455-5400.

Subsurface Sewage Disposal Systems

The Southwest District Health (SWDH) Environmental Health Services division, in collaboration with the Idaho Department of Environmental Quality, controls underground sewage disposal systems (IDEQ). If the developer or homeowner has any questions about the application or permitting process for a subsurface sewage disposal system, they should contact SWDH at (208) 455-5400. This is especially important because a subsurface sewage permit is usually required before a county building permit can be obtained.

Process/ How to Apply

SWDH must perform an on-site examination prior to issuing a permit for underground sewage disposal before the permit may be issued. The applicant must make arrangements for a backhoe to be brought in to dig a ten (10) foot test hole at the time of the examination.

When submitting an application, SWDH requires a legal description, zoning certificate, tax assessment notice, or property profile, among other things. It is possible to obtain your legal description by contacting the county or by consulting a tax notice.

How to Apply

Download the Subsurface Sewage Disposal Application (PDF) from our Document Repository, which may be found under Septic Systems. Please also include an 8″ x 10″ copy of the home floor plans, verifying the amount of bedrooms, if the house is being built from scratch.

Accessory Use

Accessory Use permissions from the county may be necessary before a building permit may be issued for the construction of an addition, shop, or other structure on a piece of property in certain circumstances. The proposed plan will be evaluated by an Environmental Health Specialist at the time of the Accessory Use Application to see if it will necessitate a modification to the existing subsurface sewage disposal system. The Accessory Use Approval Application and Plot Plan (both in PDF format) may be found in our Document Repositoryunder Septic Systems and can be downloaded.

FAQ: Septic System Permits — MARLIN – Septic Tank Cleaning, Inspection, Installation, and Repair

Septic system permits are issued by the North Carolina Environmental Health Department, which maintains a record of all documentation involved with the issuance of septic system permits. Some counties provide access to septic system permits through an online database or a link inside the Geographic Information System (GIS). Many counties still have paper records, and you will be required to make a request for information in order to obtain access to them. A request for information by e-mail will be accepted by the vast majority of counties in North Carolina.

  • Permission to make improvements, authorization to begin construction, and permission to operate

Permission to make improvements, permission to begin construction, and permission to operate

  1. Septic System Evaluation Request- The application is the first document that must be delivered into the county in order to request an evaluation for a new septic system or to request repair of an existing septic system
  2. Septic System Installation Permit (IP)- The county will conduct a study of the soil to determine whether or not your property is appropriate for a septic system installation. A copy of the improvement permit will contain information on the placement and kind of system that has been approved by the city. In most cases, the county will provide you an authority to begin construction once you have filed a final site plan and received approval from the building department. This document, which authorizes you to proceed with your installation or repair, may be provided at the same time as the improvement permit, allowing you to save time and money. Some counties will utilize the same document for both IP and CA
  3. However, this is not always the case. Operation Permit (OP)- Once the system has been installed, the county will conduct a final inspection and prepare an as-built drawing that will illustrate the location of each component of your system. A County Operation Permit is issued following the inspection, and it serves as proof that the system was installed in accordance with all applicable laws, rules, and permit conditions. Once the system has been put into operation, the county will issue a Certificate of Compliance, which certifies that the system was installed in accordance with all applicable laws, rules, and permit conditions. The location of a “repair area,” which is an area that has been appraised for future repair, should be included in the operating permit.

There may be many construction authorizations and operating permits on file with the county at any given time. An operation permit should be issued after each modification or repair of the system to confirm that the work was completed in accordance with all applicable laws and rules, as well as the permit conditions. A construction authorization should be issued to indicate the work that is being performed; an operation permit will follow to confirm that the work was completed in accordance with all applicable laws, rules, and permit conditions.

The Environmental Health Department of North Carolina requires that all properties having septic systems in North Carolina be issued a permit confirming that the soil on the site has been examined and determined to be acceptable for the installation of a septic system.

You may be required to get a permit for certain types of repairs, as outlined below:

  • Septic Tank Replacement
  • Leach Field Relocation, Expansion, or Replacement
  • Pump Tank Replacement

When doing normal maintenance on the system, no permission is necessary.

Among the items that fall under the category of routine maintenance are, but are not limited to:

  • Removing and replacing an access lid
  • Cleaning and pumping the effluent filter
  • Removing and replacing an effluent pump
  • Cleaning and replacing an effluent filter
  • Pumping and cleaning the effluent filter
  • Other basic repairs, such as jetting and root removal, are available. When a distribution box is changed by an onsite wastewater contractor who is certified by the state of North Carolina, no construction permission permit is required.

We are here to assist you! A member of our staff will contact you as soon as possible once you click on the following link to book a fast phone chat with a septic system specialist.

Frequently Asked Questions – Onsite Wastewate Arkansas Department of Health

Q: Can you tell me where I can acquire a copy of my septic tank permit? Answer: Contact the local health department in the county where the property is situated and ask to speak with the Onsite Environmental Specialist (on site environmental specialist). Having information on the home’s construction date, the subdivision namelot number, and the name of the original owner or developer will be helpful. Local Health Units (LHUs): Q: What is the smallest lot size that can accommodate a septic system?

When it comes to how much space a sewage system needs, it all comes down to the soil appropriateness of the site, the number of bedrooms in the house, and the distance of 100 feet between the house and water wells.

Q: How do I go about obtaining a septic system permit?

A list of private persons in your region who are licensed to do soil testing and design sewage systems will be provided to you by the authorities.

  • Answer: You may do a search of our database of Onsite Wastewater Licensees by visiting this link. For example, if you are searching for someone to design a septic system, you will need to pick the “Designated Representative” licensing type, however if you are looking for someone to build a septic system, you will need to select the “Advanced Septic Installer” license type.

Q: Can you tell me where I can get a list of companies who install septic systems? Answer: Contact the local health department in the county where the property is situated and ask to speak with the Onsite Environmental Specialist (on site environmental specialist). Local Health Units (LHUs): Q: What is the process for obtaining a Designated Representative License? Answer: Designated Representatives are defined and listed in Act 402 of 1977, which establishes and provides the requirements for Designated Representatives.

Case-by-case consideration is given to those who are similarly competent in terms of education and experience in the field of soil science.

The dates for the examination tests may be found on the Training and Examination website.

See On-Site Wastewater Rules and Regulations Q: What is the process for obtaining a Septic Tank Installer License?

The test is performed 10 times a year, from January to October, at a fixed time and location.

The dates for the examination tests may be found on the Training and Examination website.

Answer: Under the terms of Act 402 of 1977, applicants for onsite maintenance provider licenses must pass a licensing examination sponsored by the Department of Transportation.

The test is performed 10 times a year, from January to October, at a fixed time and location.

The dates for the examination tests may be found on the Training and Examination website.

Answer: Individuals or businesses interested in manufacturing and/or distributing septic tanks in Arkansas can acquire information on the requirements and pre-licensing inspections by calling the Onsite Waste Program at the phone number mentioned below for further information.

Q: How do I go about obtaining a Septic Tank Cleaning Permit?

Act 71 of 1973 mandates that septic tank cleaning candidates must pass a license examination held by the Department before being granted a permit to work in the industry.

The examination is free of charge.

See the Onsite Wastewater Rules for further information.

Refer to the Engineering Subdivision Plan Review Guidelines for further information.

Answer: Refer to the Guidelines for the Submission of Plans for Mobile Home and Recreational Vehicle Parks for further information.

Non-Individual Sewage System is the correct answer.

Answer: Contact the Regional Health Office and ask to speak with the Regional Director.

Answer: The percolation test is simply an approximate measure of a soil’s capacity to flow water through its structure.

As a consequence of this extra knowledge, a sewage system design is developed that overcomes the limits of the soil.

Answer: In order to qualify for the exemption, the home must be located on ten or more acres, and all portions of the sewage system must be more than 200 feet from any property border or road, including any roadways.

The property owner is still responsible for ensuring that the sewage system is installed and operated in a way that complies with state regulations and does not create a nuisance.

A letter from the local Health Unit certifying that the property is exempt from the permit requirement can be acquired by contacting them. This exception does not apply to any other state or federal restrictions that may be in place.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *