What Does Permit To Discharge Mean For Septic Tank? (Best solution)

  • In exceptional circumstances, a permit can be applied for to allow discharge to surface water. Septic tank conversion units can be used to upgrade an existing surface water discharging septic tank, but a permit is required for this and evidence must be provided that it will treat to the equivalent standard as a sewage treatment plant.

Do I need consent to discharge septic tank?

You will require a ‘Permit to Discharge’, however you may qualify for an exempt status if your system meets certain requirements such as amount of discharge, septic tank or sewage treatment plant model (only EN 12566-3 2005 Certified plants accepted), plant location, intended discharge point, installation and

What is septic tank discharge?

Soil-based systems discharge the liquid (known as effluent) from the septic tank into a series of perforated pipes buried in a leach field, chambers, or other special units designed to slowly release the effluent into the soil.

What does consent to discharge mean?

Discharge consent is permission granted by the Environment Agency to discharge sewage or trade effluent directly into surface waters, groundwater or the sea.

Where do septic tanks discharge to?

A septic tank settles the solids in wastewater and discharges the liquid waste to either the ground, via pipes in the sub-soil, or to surface water.

Do I need a permit to discharge water?

You may need an environmental permit if you discharge liquid effluent or waste water: into surface waters, for example, rivers, streams, estuaries, lakes, canals or coastal waters – known as ‘water discharge activities’

Can you sell a property with a septic tank?

If you’re selling a property with a septic tank, then you must be transparent with buyers about the fact the property uses a one and provide a detailed specification of the system. In fact, You are required by law to inform a buyer in writing about the presence of a septic tank. The age of the system.

What are the signs that your septic tank is full?

Here are some of the most common warning signs that you have a full septic tank:

  • Your Drains Are Taking Forever.
  • Standing Water Over Your Septic Tank.
  • Bad Smells Coming From Your Yard.
  • You Hear Gurgling Water.
  • You Have A Sewage Backup.
  • How often should you empty your septic tank?

How do you tell if your septic tank is full?

How to tell your septic tank is full and needs emptying

  1. Pooling water.
  2. Slow drains.
  3. Odours.
  4. An overly healthy lawn.
  5. Sewer backup.
  6. Gurgling Pipes.
  7. Trouble Flushing.

How fast does a septic tank drain?

A septic tank between 1,000 – 1,250 gallons in size generally takes around 20-30 minutes to empty. A larger tank (1,500 – 2,000 gallons) will take about twice as long, between 45-60 minutes. However, the speed will depend on the company, the equipment, and other factors.

Who needs a discharge Licence?

A discharge licence is required where a trade effluent is discharged to either a public sewer, surface water or groundwater.

How long does it take to get an environmental permit?

The Environment Agency aims to make all permit decisions as quickly as possible and within 16 weeks for applications that require consultation. If the application is of high public interest we may take longer to make a decision.

How is effluent discharged?

Effluent discharge is liquid waste, other than waste from kitchens or toilets, surface water or domestic sewage. It is produced and discharged by any industrial or commercial premises, such as a food processing factory or manufacturing business. Only surface water can be released into a natural watercourse.

Do all septic tanks discharge?

Septic Tanks Explained… Septic tanks cannot discharge to surface water drains, rivers, canals, ditches, streams or any other type of waterway. All septic tanks that as of today discharge into waterways must be either: Replaced, using sewage treatment plants with full BS EN 12566-3 Documentation, or.

What are the new rules on septic tanks?

According to new regulations passed in 2015, if your septic tank discharges to surface water such as a ditch, stream, canal or river, you will have to upgrade your system to a sewage treatment plant or install a soakaway system by 1 January 2020.

Does heavy rain affect septic tank?

It is common to have a septic back up after or even during a heavy rain. Significant rainfall can quickly flood the ground around the soil absorption area (drainfield) leaving it saturated, making it impossible for water to flow out of your septic system.

NPDES Permit Basics

System for the Prevention and Control of Pollutant Discharges (NPDES) (NPDES)

  • Anyone who discharges “pollutants” through a “point source” into a “water of the United States” is in violation of the Clean Water Act unless they have obtained an NPDES permit from the EPA. In addition to establishing restrictions on what you can release, the permit will also include monitoring and reporting requirements, as well as additional measures to ensure that the discharge does not negatively impact water quality or human health. To put it another way, the permit converts basic obligations of the Clean Water Act into particular restrictions that are tailored to the activities of each individual who discharges pollutants.
  • In addition, the phrase “point source” is defined quite broadly in the Clean Water Act, owing to the fact that it has been subjected to 25 years of litigation. Any observable, constrained, and discrete conveyance, such as a pipe, ditch, channel, tunnel, conduit, discrete fissure, or container, is included in this definition. It also includes vessels or other floating craft from which pollutants are or may be emitted, such as fishing boats or yachts. According to the law, the phrase “point source” also covers concentrated animal feeding operations, which are facilities where animals are kept and fed in large quantities. Agricultural stormwater discharges and return flows from irrigated agriculture are not considered “point sources” under federal law.
  • Additionally, the word “water of the United States” is defined extremely broadly under the Clean Water Act, which has been the subject of 25 years of dispute. Navigable waters, tributaries to navigable waters, interstate waters, oceans out to 200 miles, and intrastate waters that are used: by interstate travelers for recreation or other purposes, as a source of fish or shellfish sold in interstate commerce, or for industrial purposes by industries engaged in interstate commerce are included in this definition.
  • Pollutants are defined quite broadly in the Clean Water Act, which is a federal law. There is no limit to the types of industrial, municipal, and agricultural waste that can be released into waterways. Dredged soil, solid waste, incinerator residue, sewage, garbage, sewage sludge, munitions, chemical wastes, biological materials, radioactive materials, heat, wrecked or discarded equipment, rock, sand, cellar dirt, and industrial, municipal, and agricultural waste are just a few examples of what can be found. According to the legislation, sewage from vessels or discharges incidental to the regular functioning of an Armed Forces vessel, as well as certain compounds pumped into an oil and gas production well, are not considered polluting substances.
  • It all depends on where you’re sending your polluting substances. If you discharge from a point source into the waterways of the United States, you must get a permit from the National Pollution Discharge Elimination System. If you discharge pollutants into a municipal sanitary sewage system, you do not require an NPDES permit
  • Nevertheless, you should check with the municipality to see if they have any restrictions for NPDES permit holders. If you discharge pollutants into a municipal storm sewage system, depending on the pollutants you discharge, you may be required to get a permit. The NPDES permitting authority should be contacted for clarification.
  • A permit to discharge pollutants into the environment is granted by states that have gained EPA approval to issue permits or by EPA Regional Offices in states that have not gotten such authority. View a map of the states that have full, partial, or no NPDES authority
  • According to the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES), a permissible amount of a pollutant or pollutant parameter in a discharge will be specified (for example, a certain level of bacteria). The permittee has the option of deciding which technologies to employ in order to accomplish that level. Some permits, on the other hand, provide general ‘best management practices’ that are applicable across the board (such as installing a screen over the pipe to keep debris out of the waterway). When a state’s mandated criteria for clean water and federal minimums are not fulfilled, an NPDES permit is issued to ensure compliance.
  • Is it possible for members of the general public to participate in NPDES permitting decisions?
  • Yes. The National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System administrative processes require that the public be advised of and given the opportunity to comment on NPDES permit applications. When the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) approves a state to issue NPDES permits, the agency mandates that the state provide the public with the same level of access.
  • How are the requirements of NPDES permits implemented by the Environmental Protection Agency and the states
  • Monitoring the conditions of an NPDES permit can be accomplished through a variety of approaches. The permit will compel the facility to sample its discharges and report the results to the Environmental Protection Body and the state regulatory agency. In addition, the permit will require the facility to inform the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the appropriate state regulatory agency when the facility deems that it is not in compliance with the permit’s conditions. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and state regulatory agencies will also send inspectors to firms to evaluate whether or not they are in compliance with the limitations set by their permits. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and approved state regulatory agencies are provided with a variety of options for conducting enforcement measures against those who violate permit conditions under federal law. For example, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and state regulatory agencies may issue administrative orders requiring facilities to fix infractions and imposing monetary fines. Individuals who are found to be willfully violating requirements and endangering the health, welfare, or environment may be subject to civil and criminal actions, which may include mandatory injunctions or penalties, as well as jail sentences, by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and state agencies. It is also vital to consider how the general public might enforce permit terms. The facility monitoring reports are available for public inspection, and members of the general public are encouraged to do so. If any member of the general public believes that a facility is in violation of its NPDES permit, that individual may initiate a legal action on his or her own initiative, unless EPA or the state regulatory agency has started enforcement action against the facility.
  • As specified by the Clean Water Act, NPDES licenses may not be given for a period of more than five years in duration. In order to continue discharging after the first five-year period has expired, permittees must submit a comprehensive application for permit renewal at least 180 days before the permission’s expiration date. A permit that has been “administratively continued” is one that has been received in its whole by the granting authority but has not been reissued before its expiration date. Existing licenses granted by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) are deemed backlogged if the agency receives an application but does not renew the permit before the permit’s expiration date. In addition, applications for new EPA-issued permits are deemed backlogged if they are not issued or refused within 180 days of the application’s receipt. For further information, see the NPDES permit backlog.
  • Can I discharge wastewater from a pipe into my local receiving water (e.g., a lake, stream, river, or wetland) without violating the law?
  • For as long as the wastewater is discharged in accordance with and under the authority of an NPDES permit, there are sufficient controls in place to ensure that the wastewater is safe for human consumption and that aquatic life is safeguarded. For information on whether or whether an emission is covered by an NPDES permit, contact the EPA Regional office or the state agency responsible for granting NPDES permits
  • Or
  • Is there any information accessible to me about permits in my region
  • If so, where can I get it?
  • Yes, the Environmental Protection Agency’sEnforcement and Compliance History Online(or “ECHO”) website contains information about NPDES-permitted sites. You may search for NPDES-permitted facilities near you by entering your address into the search box. You may learn more about your local watershed by visiting the Environmental Protection Agency’s “Surf Your Watershed” website.
  • A NPDES permit can only be valid for a maximum of five years, according to the Clean Water Act. Renewals (reissues) of NPDES permits are possible at any time after the permit holder submits an application. Additionally, NPDES permits can be administratively extended if a facility reapplies more than 180 days before the permit expires and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) or the state regulatory agency that issued the original permit does not renew the permit before the permit expiration date due to no fault of the permittee
  • And
  • There there a charge for coverage under an NPDES permit, is there one?
  • The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) does not charge a price for applying for or getting coverage under any National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit
  • However, several NPDES-authorized states do charge fees for permit applications, Notices of Intent, and/or permit coverage.
  • The key distinctions between an NPDES individual permit and an NPDES general permit are as follows:
  • NPDES individual permits are written to reflect site-specific conditions of a single discharger (or, in rare instances, multiple co-permittees) based on information submitted by that discharger in a permit application, and are unique to that discharger, whereas an NPDES general permit is written to cover multiple dischargers with similar operations and types of discharges based on the permit writer’s professional knowledge and is unique to that permittee. According to the permit eligibility and authorization rules, individual permits are granted directly to the discharger, whereas a general permit is provided to no one in particular, with several dischargers getting coverage under that general permit once it is issued. As a result, dischargers covered by general permits are aware of the rules that apply to them before receiving coverage under the general permit. Aside from that, acquiring coverage under a general permit is often faster than obtaining coverage under an individual permit, with coverage under a general permit frequently occuring immediately (depending on how the permit is drafted) or after a brief waiting period. It might take up to six months or more to obtain coverage under an individual permit.
  • When applying for coverage under an NPDES general permit, what is the procedure to follow.
  • In most cases, general licenses under the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) do not require Operators to “apply” for coverage
  • Rather, general permits are routinely granted upon the filing of a document known as a Notice of Intent (NOI). In contrast to individual permit applications, a notice of intent (NOI) is filed by Operators after the general permission has been approved by the licensing authority. It is a notification to the NPDES permitting authority indicating an Operator’s intent to be covered under a general permit. It normally comprises basic information about the Operator as well as the intended discharge for which coverage is being requested. A number of general permits, such as the Environmental Protection Agency’s Pesticide General Permit, automatically cover certain Operator releases without the need to submit a Notice of Intent to Discharge. In these situations, Operators must comply with all relevant permit requirements for their pesticide applications without the need to submit any paperwork to the permitting authority (or, in certain cases, without the need to submit any other sort of notification document to the permitting authority).
  • What is the procedure for operators to apply for coverage under an NPDES individual permit
  • An Operator must submit a permit application in order to be considered for coverage under an individual permit issued by the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES). To be considered for approval, the application form must be submitted to the permitting authority at least 180 days before to the anticipated start of the discharge. The requirements for NPDES permit applications are found in Part 122, Subpart B, and are clearly specified on forms created by the Environmental Protection Agency. A state that has been granted NPDES authorization is not obligated to utilize the EPA application forms, but it is required to contain at the very least the federal standards in any alternative form that is used by an NPDES-authorized state. The permit applications and forms for the Environmental Protection Agency are available on the permit applications and forms website.
  • This document is analogous to a permit application in that it notifies the appropriate regulatory authority of a planned discharge for which coverage under a specific National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) general permit is required. It also contains information about the discharge and the Operator of the discharge, just as a permit application does. Essentially, the NOI acts as the Operator’s notification to the licensing body that the discharge would be approved in accordance with the terms and conditions of the general permit. It is the Operator’s certification that the discharge meets all of the eligibility conditions set forth in the general permit (e.g., that a pesticide discharge management plan has been developed if one is required) and that the Operator intends to abide by the conditions of the permit that is signified by signing and submitting the NOI. A false or erroneous NOI renders the permit ineligible for coverage. An unfinished NOI causes permit coverage to be delayed until the NOI is fully completed.
  • Because of the filing of a Notice of Intent (NOI), the company’s preparer and/or certifying authority on that NOI no longer works for the company (or have left the company altogether). What is the procedure for a new preparer, new certifying authority, or properly authorized representative of the Decision-maker to file the annual report electronically?
  • The new preparer and/or certifying authority must create a new account in the Environmental Protection Agency’s Central Data Exchange. It is necessary for them to get in touch with the eNOI processing center after registering to have their old information connected to their new account.
  • If there is a proposed permit for a facility near me, how can I find out about it so that I may participate in the permitting process
  • If a facility in your area has applied for an NPDES permit, the permitting authority or company will have published notice in a major local newspaper, usually in the legal section of the classified ads, or in an official publication such as the Federal Register, informing you of the application and providing additional information. You may also contact the relevant state regulatory body for information on how to submit an application for a license. If you want further information, please see the Permitting Contacts area of this website.
See also:  How To Fix My Own Septic Tank? (Correct answer)

To ask a question, offer comments, or report a problem, please get in touch.

Wastewater Discharges Fact Sheet

Discharges to state waterways, including all surface waters, ground waters, and Publicly Owned Treatment Works (POTW), are governed by the Water Permitting and Enforcement Division of the Bureau of Materials Management and Compliance Assurance, Water Permitting and Enforcement Division (i.e., sewage treatment plants). DEEP regulates discharge activities through the use of both individual and general permits. Individual permits are provided to a single application, whereas general permits are issued to a group of applicants to enable comparable small actions that are carried out by a number of applicants.

Because the general permit process may be more expedient and less expensive than the individual permit process, it is important to review the List of General Permitsfact sheet (DEP-FS-004) to determine whether any of your discharges may be eligible for authorization under a general permit before applying for a specific permit under the Clean Water Act.

For further information, please refer to the DEP-FS-003 fact sheet on Short Permit Processes or contact our Permitting team at (860) 424-3018 ext.

The Department of Environmental Protection issues discharge permits in three key areas.

  • NPDES (National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System) is a federal program that controls emissions into surface waters (either directly or indirectly through municipal storm sewer drainage systems or other drainage systems such as wetlands or swales) in accordance with federal law. This program controls discharges to ground water from any source, including but not limited to big septic systems, agricultural waste management systems, and all types of landfills. A sewage treatment facility’s pre-treatment permit program governs the discharge of wastewater to a sewage treatment plant through municipal sanitary sewer drainage systems or mixed storm and sanitary sewer drainage systems. If a wastewater is brought straight to a POTW, it will either require a pre-treatment permit or will be subject to the regulations of the sewage treatment plant’s permit, depending on the kind of wastewater. The Connecticut Department of Public Health regulates domestic sewage that is sent directly to a POTW.

When making a judgment on a permit application, the Department of Environmental Protection (DEEP) must decide that the anticipated discharges would not pollute the state’s waterways. In doing so, staff examine the potential for: 1) any adverse effects on existing and designated uses of Connecticut’s waters, as defined in the state’s Water Quality Standards and Criteria; 2) any interference with or adverse effects upon the operation of a POTW; and 3) any systems and methodologies proposed to counteract such adverse effects and to minimize the discharge of pollutants into the water supply.

Authorizing Statutes

Constitutional provisions of Connecticut General Statutes sections 22a-416 through 22a-438 (CGS)


Specifically, Sections 22a-430-1 through 22a-430-7 of the Regulations of Connecticut State Agencies are applicable (RCSA)

Who Must Apply

Obtaining a permit is necessary before beginning any discharge of water, substances, or materials into the waterways of the state by any person or municipality that intends to discharge into the waters of the state. All surface and ground waterways, as well as sanitary and storm sewers, are considered to be state waters.

In accordance with the Connecticut Department of Public Health, subsurface discharges of residential sewage that are not carried by municipal sewer systems and that have a volume of less than 5,000 gallons per day (gpd) are controlled entirely by local health departments.

Required Application Documents

Application for Wastewater Discharges (DEP-WPED-APP-101), including supporting documents such as a USGS topographic quadrangle map (8 12″ x 11″ copy or original), Site Plans, Operation and Maintenance Plans of a Treatment System, Spill Control Plans, Description and Plans of Collection and Treatment Facilities, Discharge Analyses, and all other attachments required for your specific application. Application for Wastewater Discharges (DEP-WPED-APP-101), including supporting


Fees are determined by the types of wastewater emitted as well as the volume of wastewater discharged. See Sections 22a-430-6 and 22a-430-7 of the RCSA for a schedule of wastewater classifications and the related fees, which are dependent on the volume of wastewater released in each category. Each application for an individual permit is subject to a one-time application cost of $1300.00, which must be paid at the time of submission. The remaining portion of the charge is computed and billed when the preliminary evaluation of the application is completed.

See also:  How Can You Tell If You Have A Flooded Septic Tank? (Solution found)

Review and Processing

Once the application package, the initial application fee, and the certified copy of the Notice of Application (if applicable) have been received, a preliminary review of the application is conducted to ensure that it is sufficient and generally consistent with the standards and criteria that have been established. When a permit fee for a planned activity is computed, any remaining amount is invoiced to the applicant. In order to evaluate the amount of any detrimental affects on state waterways, including any unfavorable impacts on the functioning of a POTW, a full technical evaluation is carried out in conjunction with the environmental impact statement.

A provisional decision on whether to grant or refuse the permit application will be made by the Commissioner following the conclusion of this technical evaluation process.

In some instances, a public hearing may be convened to discuss the matter.

Following receipt of a final decision from DEEP granting the permit, the applicant will be required to submit final construction plans and specifications for any collection and/or treatment system for approval prior to beginning construction and/or releasing any discharges.

Unique Processing Features

An applicant will be required to complete a Discharge Toxicity Evaluation for discharges to surface water if the discharge is expected to be toxic (DTE). In the case of discharges to a POTW, an application may be required to get prior approval from the POTW that would be impacted. An application may be required to examine the hydraulic, organic, and toxic loading implications on a POTW when submitting a substantial discharge to the facility. Prior to submitting an application for the discharge of residential sewage into ground water from land treatment systems, it is necessary to conduct site testing.

The Fisheries Division of the Department of Environmental Protection may need extra evaluation of the application on an individual basis.

It is possible that additional information will be requested for some discharge types.

Public Participation

When an application is submitted to DEEP, the applicant is responsible for posting a Notice of Application in the local newspaper. As soon as this notice is published, the applicant must send a copy of the notice to the Chief Elected Official of the municipality in which the proposed regulated activity is located, and send a copy of the notice, along with the Certificate of Notification Form – Notice of Application (DEP-APP-005A), to the Department of Environmental Protection. Following completion of the technical evaluation, the Department of Environmental Protection will issue Notice of the Tentative Determination, which will either grant or refuse the permit.

See RCSA Section 22a-430-2(b) for information on exemptions from public notice requirements.

A hearing will be convened upon receipt of a petition signed by at least twenty-five individuals, and it may also be held at the initiative of the Department of Environmental Protection.

Average Processing Time

According to recent experience, the average processing period for a normal permit application is higher than 180 days for the majority of this program. According to recent experience, the processing period for a typical application involving discharges from household sewage treatment facilities is fewer than 180 days for a typical application. It is not necessary to look at past performance to predict future processing times. Pre-application guidance is highly recommended in order to maximize the efficiency of application processing.

Permit Duration

The majority of discharge permits are only valid for five years. For certain discharges, the Department of Environmental Protection (DEEP) may grant a permit that is valid for up to 10 years. Before the permit expiration date, the applicant must submit an adequate renewal application at least 180 days in advance of the permit expiration date.


A permittee must inform the Department of Environmental Protection (DEEP) of any facility or process modifications prior to executing the changes. It is explained in detail in the Facility and Wastewater Treatment Systems Modifications Fact Sheet, which also includes a link to the form and instructions that must be submitted to DEEP in order to gain approval before beginning the modification.


A permit may not be transferred without the previous written consent of the Department of Environmental Protection.

Applicants must submit the License Transfer Form (DEP-APP-006), along with all relevant supporting documentation, within thirty days of the date of the actual transfer.

Contact Information

Water Permitting and Enforcement DivisionBureau of Materials Management and Compliance AssuranceDepartment of Energy and Environmental Protection79 Elm StreetHartford, CT06106-5127860-424-3018 Water Permitting and Enforcement Division Bureau of Materials Management and Compliance Assurance This overview is intended to address general inquiries and to offer basic knowledge about the subject matter.

In order to find out the precise regulatory language used by each of the distinct permission programs, you need consult the relevant legislation and regulations.

It is your obligation to get and maintain compliance with all applicable licenses and permissions.

Environmental Permits: A User’s Guide for the Public

Title 12. Health

Unless the context clearly shows differently, the following words and terminology shall have the meanings set out in this chapter: Unless the context clearly indicates otherwise, “Agent” refers to a person who is legally authorized to represent the owner. When we say “all weather stream,” we mean any stream that will dilute point source discharge effluent from a pipe by at least 10:1, as measured over a seven-day average of a 10-year low flow period in all weather conditions (7-Q-10). Any device or system that results in the discharge of treated sewage from a point source to which the board may issue a permit authorizing the construction and operation when such system is regulated by the SWCB pursuant to a general VPDES permit issued for an individual single family dwelling with flows less than or equal to 1,000 gallons per day on a monthly average is defined as a “alternative discharging sewage treatment system” or a “discharging system.” “Alternative onsite sewage treatment system” refers to a treatment facility that is not a typical onsite sewage treatment facility and does not result in a point source release of sewage into the environment.

  1. BOD 5 is a quantitative measure of the quantity of oxygen consumed by bacteria when stabilizing, digesting, or treating biodegradable organic matter under aerobic circumstances over a five-day incubation period; BOD 5 is given in milligrams per liter (mg/l).
  2. The term “Board” refers to the State Board of Health.
  3. Domestic sewage discharges of less than or equal to 1,000 gallons per day are registered with the Virginia Pollutant Discharge Elimination System under the General Permit Registration Statement.
  4. In this definition, “conventional onsite sewage system” refers to a treatment system that consists of one or more septic tanks that are connected to a gravity-fed subsurface drainfield by gravity, pumping, or siphoning.
  5. The term “Department” refers to the district or local health department that has jurisdiction over the location of the alternate discharge sewage treatment system or the intended site for the system.
  6. “Disinfection unit” refers to a separate treatment component that disinfects wastewater after it has been processed.
  7. In this section, “Division” refers to the Division of Onsite Sewage, Water Services, Environmental Engineering, and Marina Programs, among others.
  8. There are certain instances in which the dry ditch may have a manufactured component that serves as a topographical link to an existing, naturally occurring swale or channel.
  9. Dry ditches must have a clearly defined natural channel with sides that have a minimum slope of 1:10 (rise:run) in order to comply with the requirements of this chapter.

The term “failing alternative discharging sewage treatment system” refers to any alternative discharging sewage treatment system that discharges effluent with a BOD 5, total suspended solids, pH, chlorine residual, dissolved oxygen, or bacteria value that is out of compliance with the General Permit or fails to comply with 12VAC5-640-430 or any combination of the foregoing.

As used above, “failing onsite sewage disposal system” is defined as one in which the presence of raw or partially treated sewage on the ground’s surface or in adjacent ditches or waterways, as well as the presence of pests and/or the presence of people, is prima facie proof of a system failure.

  • In line with the provisions of this chapter and 12VAC5-610, “general approval” implies that a treatment unit has been examined and authorized for TL-2 effluent or TL-3 effluent.
  • Any stream that does not consistently dilute point source discharge effluent by at least 10:1, as measured during a seven-day average of a 10-year low flow, is referred to as a “intermittent stream” (7-Q-10).
  • According to Section 32.1-30 of the Code of Virginia, the term “local health department” refers to the agency created in each city and county in compliance with that section.
  • Pumping the tanks and cleaning the building sewage on a regular basis are examples of routine maintenance.
  • A national program for I issuing, modifying, revoking and reissuing, terminating, monitoring, and enforcing permits and (ii) imposing and enforcing pretreatment requirements under Sections 307, 402, 318, and 405 of the Clean Water Act (33 U.S.C.
  • 1251 et seq.).
  • ‘Operate’ refers to the act of making a voluntary decision to I place a unit process or unit processes into service, or (ii) make or cause modifications in the operation of a unit process at a treatment works, as opposed to being forced to do so by a regulatory body.

According to this chapter, an agreement between a licensed operator and the owner under which the licensee agrees to provide services for operating, maintaining, monitoring, repairing, and reporting on the treatment system in accordance with this chapter is referred to as a “operation and maintenance contract.” In this section, “Owner” refers to the Commonwealth or any of its political subdivisions, including sanitary districts, sanitary district commissions and authorities, or an individual, any group of individuals acting individually or as a group, as well as any public or private institution, corporation, company, partnership, firm, or association that owns or proposes to own a sewerage system or treatment works, as defined in the Clean Water Act.

“Person” refers to any and all individuals, firms, partnerships, associations, public or private institutions, municipalities or political subdivisions, governmental agencies, and private or public corporations organized under the laws of this Commonwealth or the laws of any other state or country are included in this definition.

There are no return flows from irrigated farmland, nor is there any agricultural stormwater run-off included in this definition.

The term “post-filtration unit” refers to a treatment component that physically removes total suspended solids from the water stream.

Using overflow criteria, such as the allowable period of a noncompliant discharge, for design purposes is solely for the purpose of establishing reliability classification for design purposes and should not be construed as an authorization or defense for an unpermitted discharge to state waters.

  • “Dependability Class I” refers to a level of reliability that necessitates the design of a treatment system to enable continuous satisfactory operation through power outages, flooding, peak loads, equipment failure, and maintenance shutdown.
  • This category comprises design characteristics such as extra electrical power sources, more flow storage capacity, and additional treatment units that allow the facility to operate in line with the requirements of the issued permit.
  • This class comprises design elements such as alarms with telemetry to the operator, extra treatment units, or additional flow storage capacity that enable operation in line with the requirements of the permit issued by the regulatory authority.
  • It comprises architectural elements such as onsite alarms and owner-initiated operator communication to resolve alarm conditions in order to ensure that the building operates in line with the permit requirements that were granted.
See also:  Can Septic Tank Cause A Sinking Ground And Why? (Best solution)

Water carried and non-water carried human excrement, kitchen, laundry, shower, bath, or lavatory wastes are all considered sewage, whether alone or in combination with other water and liquid industrial wastes that may be present from residences, buildings, vehicles, industrial establishments, or other locations.

  • “Site sketch” refers to a scale drawing of a proposed site for a discharge system, with all relevant distances depicted and labeled as such.
  • Site sketches may be created by the homeowner or by any agent acting on his or her behalf.
  • “Surface waters” means:1.
  • Solids in effluent samples that can be removed easily by typical filtering processes in a laboratory are referred to as “total suspended solids” or “TSS.” Total suspended solids are measured in milligrams per liter of water.
  • In the context of a given rule, a “variance” refers to a conditional waiver of that law that is granted to a specific owner in relation to a specific circumstance or facility, and which may be for a certain amount of time.

Any artificial aperture or intentionally changed natural opening, however constructed, through which groundwater is sought or through which groundwater flows under natural pressure, or through which groundwater is meant to be artificially extracted, is referred to as a “water well” or “well.” In addition, wells drilled for the following purposes are excluded from this definition: I oil and gas exploration and production, (ii) building foundation investigation and construction, (iii) elevator shafts, (iv) grounding of electrical apparatus, and (v) the modification or development of springs.

As defined by the United Nations Environment Programme, “wetlands” are areas that are inundated or saturated by surface water or groundwater on a regular basis and for a long enough period of time to support, and which under normal circumstances do support, a prevalence of vegetation that is typically adapted for life in saturated soil conditions.

Swamps, marshes, bogs, and other similar habitats are considered to be wetlands.

Florida Department of Environmental Protection

In the United States, the vast majority of wastewater permits is handled by the Department of Environmental Protection (DEPsix )’s district offices and delegated local programs. This webpage offers general information regarding wastewater permits in Florida, as well as a number of relevant links. It is updated often. If you have any questions about a specific permits problem or a specific project, please contact the district office or delegated local program responsible for that project. Remember that the department is authorized to delegate some regulatory powers (permitting, compliance, and enforcement involving certain collection/transmission, treatment, reuse, and disposal facilities) to local “delegated authorities” or, as the department refers to them, “local programs” in order to improve efficiency and effectiveness.

What type of permission is required|NPDES|Industrial vs.

Filing Applications and Notices of Intent|Getting Permits|Obtaining Underground Injection Well Permits|Obtaining Notices of Intent

Quick Links

Guide to Wastewater Permitting Wastewater Rules Domestic Wastewater Forms Industrial Wastewater Forms

Who Must Obtain a Department Permit

According to Part I of Chapter 403 of the Florida Statutes, unless specifically exempted by rule or statute, any facility or activity that discharges wastes into the waters of the state or that is reasonably expected to be a source of water pollution must obtain a permit from the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP). Generally, anybody who intends to collect, transfer, treat, discard, or reuse wastewater must first get a wastewater permit from the appropriate authority. A wastewater permit granted by this department is necessary for the operation of household or industrial wastewater facilities or activities, as well as for certain construction activities linked with these facilities or activities.

The Florida Department of Health (DOH) is in charge of regulating on-site treatment and disposal systems (septic systems), portable bathrooms, septic tank contractors, and septage haulers in the state of Florida.

  • Theseptic system informationwebpage has further information about septic systems and agency jurisdiction (i.e., who has authority over what).


Point source and stormwater emissions are regulated by the National Pollution Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Program, which was created by the Clean Water Act (CWA). A permit from the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) is required for every discharge of a pollutant from a point source to surface waters (i.e., the navigable waterways of the United States or beyond). Under the terms of the NPDES permit, compliance with both technology-based and surface water quality criteria is required (e.g., Water Quality Based Effluent Limitations or WQBELs).

The Florida Department of Environmental Protection was granted permission by the United States Environmental Protection Agency to oversee the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) wastewater program in 1995.

Remember that many NPDES plants have alternate effluent choices or beneficial recovered water usages that you should be aware of. Along with the NPDES standards, the permit requirements for these alternative choices or uses are integrated into their wastewater permit as part of the overall permit.

  • If you’re looking for information about NPDES stormwater, check out the department’s NPDES Stormwater Program webpage.

Industrial vs. Domestic

Wastewater facilities or activities are classified as either industrial or domestic for the purposes of obtaining permits based on the kind of wastewater handled by the facility or activity. Domestic wastewater is wastewater from residences, commercial buildings, educational institutions, and other similar establishments. It is often referred to as sanitary wastewater or sewage. Household wastewater facilities comprise sewers, pipes, conduits, pumping stations, and force mains that transport wastewater to a treatment plant, as well as the wastewater treatment plant and residuals or septage management facilities.

  • More information on domestic wastewater may be found on theDomestic Wastewater website.

All wastewater that does not meet the definition of residential wastewater is referred to as “industrial wastewater.”. Industrial wastewater comes from a variety of sources, including large and small facilities and activities such as manufacturing, commercial businesses, mining, agricultural production and processing, as well as wastewater discharged during the cleanup of petroleum and chemical-contaminated environments.

  • More information on industrial wastewater may be found on the Industrial Wastewater webpage.

Individual Permits

Individual permits are necessary for the majority of wastewater facilities and activities. These permits contain a set of rules and restrictions that are customized to the specific wastewater treatment and disposal systems that are governed by the permit. Construction and operation of a wastewater treatment plant are permitted under individual permits, which allow the permittee to do both. In general, department-issued wastewater permits contain requirements for the treatment of wastewater, disposal to surface water (NPDES), discharge to ground water, land application of reclaimed water, beneficial use of reclaimed water (e.g., landscape irrigation), influent and effluent monitoring and reporting, and in the case of domestic wastewater facilities, industrial pretreatment and domestic residual treatment.

The permittee is required to submit monthly discharge monitoring reports (DMRs) to the department as part of the permittee’s self-monitoring requirements.

Generic Permits

Generic licenses are also issued by the department for controlling groups of wastewater facilities or activities that include the same or comparable types of operations or pollutants. Generic permits are “permits by rule,” which implies that all facilities or activities controlled under a given type of generic permit have permit criteria and restrictions that are the same as those governed under a different category of generic permit. The use of a generic permit is subject to inspection and approval by the department, and it may result in discharges to surface water or ground water as a result.

The following facilities or activities are currently eligible for a generic permit: discharges from concrete batch plants, dewatering activities, discharges from petroleum-contaminated sites, discharges from fresh citrus fruit packing houses to percolation ponds, domestic wastewater facilities that discharge to slow rate/restricted access land application systems, and small domestic wastewater facilities that discharge to rapid rate infiltration basin and absorption field A notification of intent to utilize a generic permit must be submitted to the department by the applicant.

General Permits

When certain conditions and procedures are followed, the department can grant general licenses for certain types of facilities or activities that have a limited negative environmental effect when carried out in compliance with the regulations. General permits (also known as generic permits) are “permits by rule,” and facilities governed by a specific kind of general permit have the same criteria and restrictions as other facilities regulated by the same type of general permit. General permits do not necessitate the submission of monthly DMRs.

Domestic wastewater collection and transmission systems, sand and limestone mines, vehicle wash systems, tomato and fresh citrus wash water, and laundromats are examples of facilities or activities that may be eligible for a general permit.

Applications and Notices of Intent

To be considered for a wastewater permit, as well as notifications of intent in the case of generic and general permits, applications must be filed to the department’s relevant permitting office. The exception is steam electric power plants that discharge to surface waterways. These petitions are sent to the Industrial Wastewater Section in Tallahassee, Florida, where they are reviewed. The permitting office evaluates the application or notice and, depending on its findings, may contact the applicant to obtain more information from him or her.

Application for an individual permit for a wastewater treatment plant, reuse system, or disposal system (for new installations, renewals, or major modifications) is submitted on Form 62-620.910, which is available online (1).

Minor permit adjustments are requested using Form 62-620.910, which is available online (9).

  • To view any permit applications currently under consideration by the department, visit the department’s permitting website. Domestic wastewater forms may be found on the domestic wastewater forms website, which has a comprehensive list of available forms. Visit the industrial wastewater forms website for a comprehensive selection of industrial wastewater forms that can be downloaded.

Permit Issuance

A wastewater permit is granted by one of the department’s six district offices or delegated local programs, with the exception of steam electric generating plants that discharge to surface waterways, which are covered in the preceding section. More information on a given permission can be obtained by contacting the relevant permitting office or delegated local program, which is based on the actual location of the authorized facility or activity, as indicated on the permit.

Underground Injection Well Permits

Underground injection well permits are given by the Department of Environmental Quality’s Underground Injection Control (UIC) Program. Facilities that dispose of effluent from a wastewater treatment facility by an underground injection well must apply for a separate UIC permission using Form 62-528.900, which may be found on the UIC website (1).

Click here to see the Department’s UIC FormsPage, which contains a comprehensive array of UIC forms for download.

Additional Information

Please have a look at our website for additional information on our various wastewater activities. If you have issues about permits, you may want to contact the relevant district office or delegated local program for assistance.

  • Visit ourwastewater contactspage for information on how to contact our district offices and delegated local initiatives.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *