How To Get A Septic Approval For An Existing Tank? (Perfect answer)

  • If you do not already have one, contact your county health department for a copy of your septic tank system permit, which will indicate the approximate location of the system and the size of the tank.

Do old septic tanks need to be registered?

Many homes are not connected to mains drainage, instead having sewage treatment systems or septic tanks or occasionally cesspools. If your sewage treatment system or septic tank discharges to a river or stream it must be registered immediately.

Can you sell a house with a non compliant septic tank?

If you are selling the property, it is your responsibility to install a sewage treatment system compliant with the general binding rules. Being non-compliant will not only detract potential buyers but you may also be subject to enforcement action by the Environment Agency.

Can you sell a property with a septic tank?

If you’re selling a property with a septic tank, then you must be transparent with buyers about the fact the property uses a one and provide a detailed specification of the system. In fact, You are required by law to inform a buyer in writing about the presence of a septic tank. The age of the system.

How long does it take to get a discharge permit?

Decisions about your permit The Environment Agency will write to you to tell you whether or not they can allow what you’ve asked for. You will normally get a decision on your application within 4 months. The Environment Agency will tell you if your application will take longer.

Are septic tanks still legal?

Septic Tanks Explained… Septic tanks cannot discharge to surface water drains, rivers, canals, ditches, streams or any other type of waterway. you are required to upgrade or replace your septic tank treatment system to a full sewage treatment plant by 2020, or when you sell a property, if it’s prior to this date.

Does heavy rain affect septic tank?

It is common to have a septic back up after or even during a heavy rain. Significant rainfall can quickly flood the ground around the soil absorption area (drainfield) leaving it saturated, making it impossible for water to flow out of your septic system.

How do I find out if my septic tank is compliant?

If you are unsure whether your septic tank has a new or existing discharge, contact Homeseptic or the Environment Agency who will be able to inform you if your system is compliant.

What is the life expectancy of a concrete septic tank?

Inspectapedia estimates that a steel tank baffles will rust out in 15 to 20 years and may collapse if driven over, but a concrete tank will last 40 years or more as long as the wastewater is not acidic. It’s important to consider the life expectancy of a drain-field, too.

What is the law for septic tanks?

According to new regulations passed in 2015, if your septic tank discharges to surface water such as a ditch, stream, canal or river, you will have to upgrade your system to a sewage treatment plant or install a soakaway system by 1 January 2020.

Do septic tanks lower property value?

The research shows that having a septic system as opposed to a standard sewage system does not increase or decrease the value of your home, although there are some things about that septic system that can affect resale.

Who is responsible for a septic tank?

Homeowners. If you’re an owner-occupier and your property has a septic tank, it’s very straightforward: you are fully responsible for your septic tank. If there are any issues with it, it is up to you to fix them.

What is the difference between a septic tank and a cesspit?

A cesspit is a sealed underground tank that simply collects wastewater and sewage. In contrast, septic tanks use a simple treatment process which allows the treated wastewater to drain away to a soakaway or stream.

Who needs a discharge Licence?

A discharge licence is required where a trade effluent is discharged to either a public sewer, surface water or groundwater.

How do I get a wastewater discharge permit?


  1. Duly accomplished and notarized Application Form.
  2. Photocopy of LLDA Clearance.
  3. Water bills/readings for the last three (3) months registered in the name of the applicant.
  4. Water Treatment Facility and Drainage Plan layout, with complete specifications of the treatment process.

Do I need a trade effluent Licence?

You must have a trade effluent consent or agreement if you: discharge trade effluent into a public foul sewer. discharge any surface water run-off from oil- contaminated hard surfaces or wash substances such as oils, chemicals, food, inks or powders into a public foul sewer.

Septic System Construction Permit

If an individual or a property owner want to have a subsurface sewage disposal (septic) system constructed on their land or if they need to repair an existing malfunctioning system, they must get a Septic System Construction Permit from the City of San Diego. Septic System Assistance Division County Map (Division Septic System Assistance County Map)

What Information Must I Provide?

Applicant’s information can be submitted using the web portal*, and it includes the following:

  • Identify the landowner’s name and address, as well as the location or site’s size and number of occupants (including number of bedrooms), water consumption amounts, whether there is an excavated basement, whether there are basement plumbing fixtures, whether the house and lot have been staked, and the name of the installer (if any). Drawing showing the property boundaries, home site position, well location, spring location, planned roadway and utilities, and driving instructions to the site are included in this document. For large conventional or alternative systems, soil maps are created by a soil scientist (if necessary), and system design is completed by a licensed engineer.

*Please keep in mind that the Division suggests that you apply online in order to expedite the application processing. Paper applications, on the other hand, will continue to be accepted at the relevant Environmental Field Office. (CN-0971, Form CN-0971)

Helpful Lists:

  • The Division of Water Resources is a division of the Department of Water Resources. CONSULTANTS APPROVED BY THE DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE
  • INACTIVE INSTALLERS- This list, grouped by county, covers those persons who have valid permits to construct, install, modify, or repair a septic system. It should be noted that installation permits are valid across the state, not only in the counties indicated. A separate permission may be required in contract counties such as Blount and Davidson counties as well as Hamilton and Jefferson counties as well as Knox and Madison counties as well as Shelby and Williamson counties. Individuals possessing valid licenses to remove (pump) household septage from septic tanks, holding tanks, portable toilets, or other similar sewage treatment or disposal facilities are listed on this page as “Active Pumpers.”

How Will My Application Be Processed?

Applicants should submit their completed application forms, along with the required application costs, to the Division of Water Resources at the relevant Environmental Field Office. The application is subjected to a thorough examination, and the applicant is notified when the examination is completed. The review procedure typically takes ten days, and it must be completed within 45 days of the day the application was submitted, unless an extension has been granted.

What Fees Are Required?

New Conventional or Large Diameter Gravelless Pipe SSDS Permit $400 up to 1000 gallons per day design flow$100 for each additional 1000 gpd flow
New Conventional or Large Diameter Gravelless Pipe SSDS Construction Inspection $100
New Alternative SSDS Permit $500 up to 1000 gallons per day design flow$150 for each additional 1000 gpd flow
Alternative SSDS Construction Inspection $200
Experimental SSDS Permit $500
Repair Permit No permit fee
Repair Construction Inspection $100

What Are My Rights and Responsibilities After the Permit is Approved?

The applicant has the authority to carry out the activities that were granted in the permission application. They are responsible for notifying the Department of any changes to the information in the application. The applicant is responsible for complying with any state legislation and regulations that may be applicable. A system’s installation must be reported to the Division by the applicant or installer of the SSDS so that it may be examined and certified as compliant. Applicants who have had their permits rejected, suspended, or cancelled have the opportunity to file an appeal with the appropriate authority.

What Are the Division’s Rights and Responsibilities After the Permit is Approved?

During each SSDS installation, the Division inspects the system to confirm that it was installed in line with the permit conditions and regulatory requirements. In the event that an applicant fails to comply with state legislation or departmental rules, the Division has the authority to revoke, suspend, or refuse the issue of a permit. Any individual who violates or fails to comply with state legislation, rules, or regulations may be susceptible to civil fines as a result of their actions.

Whom Do I Contact For Applications, Assistance and Other Information?

Applicants can acquire applications and information from the Environmental Field Office that is most convenient for them.

Applicants may refer to the following publications for further information:

  • TDEC Rule 0400-48-01: Regulations to Govern Subsurface Sewage Disposal Systems
  • TCA Section 68-221-401.414: Subsurface Sewage Disposal Systems
  • TDEC Rule 0400-48-01: Regulations to Govern Subsurface Sewage Disposal Systems

Green Bay Press-Gazette

  • Q. We’re looking for a foreclosed country property with a septic tank in our price range. Our representative wants us to conduct the study “on our own,” claiming that she is unfamiliar with septic systems. We are unable to obtain information on the septic tank from the seller. We would want to make an offer, but we are unsure of where to begin because we have no prior experience. What would you do in this situation? Martha and Scott are a married couple. H.A. The fact that residences with wells and septic systems are at a higher risk of contamination as compared to properties with municipal water and waste disposal systems is not a secret. As a result of completing the steps listed below, you will be able to identify and assess possible concerns as well as analyze and evaluate the present condition of the septic system in your house. The unwillingness of your agent to participate in this learning experience is a little perplexing. However, it is comforting to know that an agent is aware of the limitations of their practical expertise and is willing to express it. It might also be a subliminal indication that septic system troubles in the neighborhood are a possibility. Here’s what I’d do in this situation: Inspections of septic systems Identify the septic tank pumpers who provide service in your region. You’re on the lookout for a pulsating track. Make repeated phone calls until you locate the service provider. Because market forces often restrict the number of organizations that provide pumping services to a small number, you should not receive many calls. The order in which the calls are made will be dictated by their proximity to the house. Drop by a nearby neighbor’s house and inquire (or leave a note) as to whether or not they saw the pumper vehicle next door. It’s also conceivable that the tank was never pumped by the owner. There are a lot of reasons why property owners may choose to ignore their septic system. Call the county health department and ask to be sent to the division that deals with private waste disposal systems. If the house is less than 60 years old, it is possible that a building permit was necessary and is still on file. The size of the home and the number of bedrooms are frequently included in septic permits. This information is used to establish the size of the drain (leach) field, and it is sometimes accompanied with a graphic that shows the location of the home, the tank, and the drain field. If a builder is listed on the permit and can be located, it is possible that they may recall the installer, who may also have a record. A valuable source of information regarding the code, code infractions, and potential septic tank concerns in the area will be available at this location as well. Use the two sources listed above to find septic system inspectors in your area. Some states need a separate license for septic systems, and most home inspectors do not perform septic system inspections. Call a few of these inspection businesses to find out more about their services and what they perform during a septic system inspection at your home or business. It is vital to pump the tank before to the inspection in order to avoid any problems. The following are two questions to consider: Do you physically enter the septic tank? And, if, during the course of the inspection, they grow concerned about the drain field’s remaining life expectancy, do they do a physical examination of it? There is still important information to examine even if the sewer system passes inspection and testing. The more information you can acquire about a home’s system, the more accurate your appraisal will be of that home. As an illustration of a way of life: It was established that there were just two individuals living there and that the system was in good working order. The new owners had four adolescents, and the system fails within six months of taking possession. A failed system was not being used to its full potential. Alternative locations include: In certain areas, new construction residences must have both a primary and an alternate drain field location in order to be eligible for a septic tank installation. If the system fails at a previously utilized home site and there is no acceptable alternative site available, you may be obliged to build a mound or holding tank system to protect the residence. Make ensure that you are aware of the county’s attitude on alternative sanitary waste disposal locations before you proceed. The strategy for pumping is as follows: The frequency with which a septic system is pumped out might vary greatly depending on the type of system that has been built. If a ground level septic tank with a drain field is pumped every two to four years, this is in contrast to the pumping of a holding tank with no drain field, which may be pumped twice a month. Apart from the type of system being used, there are a number of additional aspects that influence the pumping needs of your system: the total number of inhabitants the volume of the tank water use in general the use of a trash disposal In order to ensure that chemical items and solvents touted as septic system additives are indeed effective, check with your local water conservation agency or their website for confirmation before using them. A system that does not receive the required attention and maintenance may have a shorter life expectancy and may become a costly burden for the owner. Readers can benefit from the real estate guidance provided by Richard Montgomery. Over the course of more than two decades, he has worked to improve the real estate market as a champion of change. You may contact him through his website,
See also:  How Much Does It Cost To Replace A Septic Tank Drain? (Solution)

Septic Tank Installation and Pricing

To process and dispose of waste, a septic system has an underground septic tank constructed of plastic, concrete, fiberglass, or other material that is located beneath the earth. Designed to provide a customized wastewater treatment solution for business and residential locations, this system may be installed anywhere. Although it is possible to construct a septic tank on your own, we recommend that you hire a professional to do it owing to the amount of skill and specific equipment required.

In this post, we’ll go over the several types of septic systems that are accessible to homeowners, as well as the procedure and costs associated with installing one.

Who Needs a Septic Tank?

For the most part, in densely populated areas of the nation, a home’s plumbing system is directly connected to the municipal sewer system. Because municipal sewer lines are not readily available in more rural regions, sewage must be treated in a septic tank. If you’re moving into a newly constructed house or onto land that doesn’t already have a septic tank, you’ll be responsible for putting in a septic system on your own.

How to Prepare for Your Septic Tank Installation

Here are a few pointers to keep in mind to make sure your septic tank installation goes as smoothly as possible.

Receive Multiple Estimates

Receiving quotations from licensed septic tank installers and reading reviews about each firm using trustworthy, third-party customer evaluations should be done before any excavation or signing of any paperwork is done. Examine your options for a contractor and make sure they have the appropriate insurance and license, as well as the ability to include critical preparations such as excavation and drain field testing in their quotation.

Test the Soil and Obtain a Permit

Receiving estimates from professional septic tank installers and reading reviews about each firm using trustworthy, third-party customer evaluations should be done before any excavation or signing of documents. Examine your options for a contractor and make certain that they have the appropriate insurance and license, as well as that their quote covers required preparations such as excavation and drain field testing.

Plan for Excavation

Excavation of the vast quantity of land required for a septic tank necessitates the use of heavy machinery. If you are presently residing on the property, be careful to account for landscaping fees to repair any damage that may have occurred during the excavation process. Plan the excavation for your new home at a period when it will have the least influence on the construction process if you are constructing a new home. Typically, this occurs before to the paving of roads and walkways, but after the basic structure of the home has been constructed and erected.

The Cost of Installing a Septic Tank

There are a few installation charges and additional expenditures connected with constructing a new septic system, ranging from a percolation test to emptying the septic tank and everything in between.

Percolation Test

The cost of constructing a new septic system includes a variety of fees and expenditures ranging from a percolation test to emptying the septic tank, among other things.

Building Permit Application

A permit will be required if you want to install a septic tank on your property. State-by-state variations in permit prices exist, however they are normally priced around $200 and must be renewed every few years on average.

Excavation and Installation

When you have passed a percolation test and obtained a building permit, your septic tank is ready to be professionally placed.

The cost of a new septic system is determined by the size of your home, the kind of system you choose, and the material used in your septic tank. The following is a list of the many treatment methods and storage tanks that are now available, as well as the normal pricing associated with each.

Types of Septic Tank Systems

Septic system that is used in the traditional sense Traditionally, a septic system relies on gravity to transport waste from the home into the septic tank. Solid trash settles at the bottom of the sewage treatment plant, while liquid sewage rises to the top. Whenever the amount of liquid sewage increases over the outflow pipe, the liquid waste is discharged into the drain field, where it continues to disintegrate. This type of traditional septic system is generally the most economical, with an average cost of roughly $3,000 on the market today.

Drain fields for alternative systems require less land than conventional systems and discharge cleaner effluent.

Septic system that has been engineered A poorly developed soil or a property placed on an uphill slope need the installation of an engineered septic system, which is the most difficult to install.

It is necessary to pump the liquid waste onto a leach field, rather than depending on gravity to drain it, in order to ensure that it is equally dispersed across the land.

Types of Septic Tanks

  • Concrete septic tanks are long-lasting and rust-proof, but they are difficult to repair if they are damaged. It is possible that concrete tanks will cost up to $2,000 depending on their size. Plastic —While plastic tanks are cost-effective, they are also susceptible to damage. They are around $1,200 in price. Fiberglass —While fiberglass septic tanks are more durable than their plastic counterparts, they are susceptible to shifting or displacement if the water table rises to an excessive level. Depending on the model, these tanks may cost up to $2,000

More information may be found at: Septic Warranty Coverage and Costs.

Using Your Septic Tank

It is important to maintain the area around your new septic tank’s drain field and to frequently check your tank using the lids included with it. Never use a trash disposal in conjunction with your septic tank since it might cause the system to clog. Additionally, avoid driving over the land where your septic tank is located or putting heavy gear on top of your septic tank or drain field to prevent damage. Most of the time, after five years of septic system use, you’ll need to arrange a cleaning and pumping of the system.

Send an email to our Reviews Team [email protected] if you have any comments or questions regarding this post.

Permits, Licenses and Reports

If you pick an accelerated alternative, please tell the office with your selection of options as soon as possible. Fee for application: $150

  • Step 1: Read and completely complete the Onsite Wastewater System Applicationand send it to your local Environmental Affairs Office. Step 2: An original plat or deed of the land will also be required to be submitted. If you do not have a copy of the plat or deed, you may learn more about how to get one by clicking here. The office will contact you as soon as your application has been received to confirm receipt of your application and to discuss electronic payment alternatives with you. We do not take cash as a form of payment. Please see this sample application, Onsite Wastewater System Application, for a reference guide on how to complete the application. Step 2: Your application will be examined to ensure that all required material has been submitted and is in order. If everything is in order, your application fee will be accepted
  • Otherwise, it will be rejected. Step 3:If a site visit is necessary, the inspector will assess the appropriateness of the property for the installation of a septic system. If the inspector finds that your site is suitable for a typical septic system, he or she will give you with a Permit to Construct document. The inspector will discuss possible solutions with you if the permit is not approved by the inspection team. A request for test pits may be made by the Department in circumstances where the evaluator meets a barrier during the first site evaluation or in cases where it is recognized that an area would require test pits owing to the soil characteristics of the region. The midlands and upstate parts of the state are the most typical locations where soil characteristics necessitate the use of test pits. It is important to note that test pits may not be an option in coastal and sandy locations around the state. Consult with your local office staff for more detailed information on your individual situation. As soon as you have received your Permit to Construct, you should call a professional onsite wastewater system contractor to complete the installation of your septic tank. In Step 5, the installer must call DHEC in order to schedule a time for the septic system to be inspected before it is covered, before completing the septic system installation. After waiting 30 minutes over the scheduled time for a DHEC inspector, a licensed installer has the option to conduct a self-inspection of the installation to ensure that everything is in working order. The installation is required to provide documentation to the Department on the DHEC-approved formD-3978, Contractor Approval to Operate

Expires and modifications to permits: Permits to Construct are valid for five years. If you want to renew your permission after five years, or if you want to make modifications to it after it has been authorized, you must submit a new application and pay the price once again. These regulations authorize the charge and permission in the following ways:

  • Regulation 61-56, Onsite Wastewater Systems
  • Regulation 61-55, Septic Tank Site Evaluation Fees
  • And Regulation 61-56, Onsite Wastewater Systems

Because improperly designed septic systems can degrade water quality and cause illness, South Carolina law mandates that all septic systems have site approvals and permits before they can be installed. If you want to construct a home or relocate a prefabricated home on land that is not served by a public or municipal sewer system, you must first seek clearance from the Department of Health and Human Services and a permit to install a septic system. You will be unable to obtain a building permit until you obtain this permit from your local government.

  • Depending on how saturated the soil is, we may not be able to conduct a thorough examination.
  • This is analogous to farmers being forced to postpone the planting or harvesting of their crops.
  • To submit an application for a septic system, you must first download and complete anonsite wastewater application, which you must then submit to your local Environmental Affairs Office.
  • If you have any questions, please contact the Environmental Affairs Office in your area for assistance.

The Department of Health and Human Services requires that you be licensed and renew your license every year if you build, clean, or repair septic systems or if you truck and dispose of sewage from septic systems and portable toilets.

Application Form

Complete the application for a License to Construct or Clean Onsite Wastewater Systems and Self-Contained Toilets by downloading and completing the form. Please contact your local Department of Health and Human Services Environmental Affairs office to make preparations for testing if you are interested in becoming a septic system installation.

License Fees

The following costs are required for onsite wastewater system installations, pumpers/haulers, and pumpers/haulers are required for yearly renewal:

  • Licensing fees for construction are $100, cleaning fees are $100, and a combined construction and cleaning fee is $150
  • A Master Contractor license is $200.

You must pay these costs on an annual basis in order to keep your license active. An additional late fee will be levied if we do not receive payment by the due date on your invoice. Unless you pay your renewal costs and late fees within 90 days of the due date for your license to operate on septic systems or truck sewage, your license to do so will automatically expire.

Installer and Master Contractor Exams

In order to be approved to construct work with septic systems and/or wastewater disposal, as well as for a Master Contractor license, you must first pass an exam that assesses your knowledge of Regulation 61-56, which is available online. To pass, you must have an 80 percent or higher score. If you do not pass this test on the first try, you can repeat it within 30 days of failing. If you fail the test a second time, you can repeat it after 60 days if you have not passed the first time. You will not be required to repeat the exam once you have been granted a license, provided that you continue to pay the yearly license renewal costs and submit all required paperwork.

Other License Requirements

  • Inspection of Vehicles: The Department of Health and Human Services has the authority to examine any vehicles used to pump and convey sewage. You must keep your vehicle inventory list up to current and on file with the Department of Health and Human Services
  • List of Disposal Facilities Is Required : This includes a list of sewage disposal facilities that you intend to use, together with documented approval from the facilities themselves. It is necessary to keep a record of your activities: You must keep a log (record) of each pumping and disposal load that is transported by each truck. You must make this record of actions accessible to the Department of Health and Human Services upon request.

The following regulations permit the issuance of septic system contractor licenses:

  • Regulation 61-56, Onsite Wastewater Systems
  • Regulation 61-56.1, Permit to Construct or Clean Onsite Sewage Treatment and Disposal Systems and Self-Contained Toilets
  • And Regulation 61-56, Onsite Wastewater Systems Licensing of Onsite Wastewater Systems Master Contractors (Regulation 61-56.2)
See also:  How To Unclog Kitchen Plumbing Line To Septic Tank?


Septic Tank Alerts Septic Tank Alerts

Septic Tank Permits – Northeast Health District

We provide a variety of services through our sewage program that contribute to the protection of public health as well as the preservation of Georgia’s natural resources. Among these services are septic tank permits, repair permits, existing system evaluations, site evaluations, and subdivision plan reviews, among other things. Inspections are required for septic tank permits as well as for septic tank repairs and replacements. According to the Rules and Regulations for On-Site Sewage Management Systems, an Environmental Health Specialist conducts each inspection in accordance with the results of the previous inspection (Chapter 511-3-1).

Georgia’s groundwater, drinking water, and surface water are protected from harmful organisms and chemicals thanks to the regulations established by our district to govern the installation and repair of on-site sewage systems.

The State of Georgia’s Division of Public Health has also developed two other useful resources: the Homeowner’s Guide to On-Site Sewage Management Systems and Understanding Your Septic System, both of which are available online.

Links to Important Documents Counties from coast to coast Pumpers who are certified in the state of Georgia Georgia Licensed and Certified Installers Soil Classifiers are a type of soil classification system.

In Walton County, the Walton County Service Request Form, the Walton County Environmental Health Site Evaluation Form, the Walton County Subdivision Application, and the Walton County Lot Size Ordinance are all available. The most recent update was made on October 28, 2020.

Getting a Permit for an On-Site Sewage Facility – Such as a Septic System

A permit is necessary for the construction, installation, alteration, extension, or repair of an On-site Sewage Facility, with a few exceptions as mentioned below (OSSF). Always double-check with your local permitting authority before proceeding. Local permitting programs may be more strict than those mandated by state law in some cases. Texas law provides allow for an OSSF to be excluded from permitting requirements if the OSSF meets the following criteria:

  • If the OSSF serves a single family residence on a tract of land that is 10 acres or larger, it is not a nuisance or a groundwater contaminant
  • All parts of the OSSF are at least 100 feet from the property line
  • The effluent is disposed of on the property
  • And, the single family residence is the only dwelling on the tract of land

It is not necessary to get a permit for emergency repairs (such as the replacement of tank lids, input and outlet devices, and the repair of solid lines), but they must be notified to the appropriate permitting body within 72 hours of the start of the repairs. Emergency repairs are specified in 30 TAC Subchapter D, Section 285.35 of the Texas Administrative Code. Even if a permit is not necessary, the OSSF must adhere to the state’s minimal requirements.

Septic Systems

Systems for Septic TanksClaire Ninde2022-01-21T14:04:13-07:00Septic Systems La Plata, Archuleta, and San Juan counties, as well as the southern half of Hinsdale County, are all regulated by the San Juan Basin Public Health (SJBPH). The SJBPH is the regulatory authority for on-site wastewater treatment system (OWTS) permits (by Williams Reservoir). Since 1967, the South Jersey Board of Public Health has controlled OWTS, commonly known as septic systems. Transfer of Title (property sales), Permitting, Inspections, Installers and Cleaners, and the availability of Personal Information in our database may all be discovered by clicking on the respective tabs to the right.

  • (Preferred) Open the form in Adobe Acrobat, complete the form, then sign it digitally using the “Fill and Sign” function in Acrobat (see Resources). Save a PDF copy of the form and send it to [email protected] with the subject line “Name of Form and Address of Property” in the body of the email. Print the form and fill it out by hand, then scan the completed and signed form and send the scanned PDF file [email protected] with the subject line “Name of Form and Address of Property” in the body of the email. To make a submission in person, please bring the completed and signed form to any of our office locations: 281 Sawyer Drive in Durango or 502 South 8th Street in Pagosa Springs. Send the completed and signed form to San Juan Basin Public Health, ATTN: Environmental Health, 281 Sawyer Drive, Durango, CO 81303
  • Or mail it to the address shown above.

Make a payment for septic system applications, inspections, or other services by completing any one of the following procedures:

  • (Preferred) Pay using a credit card or an e-check through the internet. Select “Onsite Wastewater” in the Payment forfield, type the name of the form in theDescriptionfield, and provide the address of the property in the Invoice Number/Customer Namefield
  • Then click “Submit.” Make a payment in person at any of our office locations: 281 Sawyer Drive in Durango or 502 South 8th Street in Pagosa Springs. You can pay by check, credit card, or cash. Send a check to San Juan Basin Public Health, ATTN: Environmental Health, 281 Sawyer Drive, Durango, CO 81303 or mail it to the address shown above. On the note line, provide the name of the form and the address of the property

Beginning on January 1, 2019, all properties in Archuleta, La Plata, and San Juan Counties that are served by a septic system will be required to undergo an examination prior to being sold. This requirement aids in the identification of defective and potentially hazardous systems, as well as the protection of property buyers from unexpected repair responsibilities. You should perform the following measures if you are selling property that has a septic system that is more than four years old (as of the anticipated closing date):

  1. Use the green banner link above to get a copy of your current septic system permit before putting your house on the market. The approved use should be checked, as should the permitted number of dwellings, bedrooms, and other details. Look for a final signature at the bottom or bottom-right corner of the permit (typically under “this system has been inspected and found to conform to the above requirements” or similar language). If the system is officially allowed for the present usage on site (as recorded by the County Assessor), or if the system looks to be older than 1967, have it inspected by a third-party NAWT-certified inspector (see our courtesy list of local inspectors).
  • Please see the “Permits” tab on this page to discover how to apply for a valid permit for the system if the system is not legally allowed for the purposes that will be carried out on site. If the inspection cannot be completed prior to closing due to snow cover, frozen ground, or other factors, you may still be able to legally sell the property if the buyers agree to have the inspection performed as soon as conditions allow and to be financially responsible for any deficiencies that are discovered. To apply for a Conditional Transfer of Title Acceptance Document (see submission instructions above), complete and submit this form, with a fully executedBuyers Agreement to Inspect, as an attachment.
  • If the inspection reveals that your system is operating well, complete this form and submit it at least two weeks before your planned closure date (see submission guidelines above), along with a copy of the Inspection Report you received from your inspector.
  • As a result, if the inspection reveals that your system is not operating properly, you should consult the “Permits” tab on this website to determine if you need to submit an application for a repair or alteration permit, or whether you merely need to do routine maintenance on the system. You should have the indicated maintenance conducted by a certified expert and submit proof showing the work is complete together with your Application for a Transfer of Title Acceptance Document if you just need to undertake maintenance that does not necessitate a permit. Provided repairs or renovations are unable to be performed prior to closing, you may still be able to lawfully sell the property if the buyers agree to make the required repairs or modifications themselves. To apply for a Conditional Transfer of Title Acceptance Document (see the submission requirements above), complete and submit this form, together with a copy of your Inspection Report and a fully executedBuyers Agreement to Repair or Alter (if applicable).
  1. Once you have submitted your application for an Acceptance Document, you must pay a $90 administrative charge (see payment instructions above). If you pay online, enter “Transfer of Title” in the “Description” field and the address of the property in the “Invoice number/Customer Name” area
  2. If you pay by check, enter “Transfer of Title” in the “Description” field. It typically takes SJBPH around three business days to analyze an Application for a Transfer of Title Acceptance Document and determine whether to issue an Acceptance Document or seek further information from the applicant in response to the application. Acceptance Documents are sent out through email to all of the email addresses that were supplied on the application for consideration. As soon as the document is issued, you should either bring it to your closing or give it to your title firm.

Depending on the age of the septic system (as of the planned closing date), you may be able to avoid the Transfer of Title Inspections Requirement if you are selling a property with a system that is less than four years old. To obtain a copy of your current permit, click on the green banner link provided above. Additional inspections are not required at the time of sale if the date of the final signature at the bottom right is less than four years old on the closing date.

  • Recognize the possibility that some buyer’s agents will include an obligation to get a Transfer of Title Acceptance Document in real estate contracts, even though the property is exempt from the legal necessity to obtain one.

Transactions that fall under the following categories are excluded from the Transfer of Title Inspections Requirement:

  • A transaction in which the parties are not at arm’s length (for example, an inheritance that includes a spouse)
  • When a transfer occurs, joint ownership is established or terminated, with one original owner remaining on the title. Trusts and limited liability companies (LLCs) with the same name as the original owner
  • Foreclosure
  • Keep in mind that sales of bank-owned and public trust-owned assets are not excluded from the exemption rule. Inspections may be required in certain instances, and the buyer may be required to order them.

The following is a comprehensive collection of Transfer of Title forms and supporting documentation:

  • Transfer of Title Inspections: A Guide for Buyers and Sellers
  • Transfer of Title Inspections: A Guide for Buyers and Sellers Application for a Transfer of Title Acceptance Document
  • SJBPH Transfer of Title Inspection Form
  • SJBPH Transfer of Title Acceptance Document
  • Repair or Alteration of an OWTS Agreement (attach this form to an application if it is determined that identified repairs or changes will not be done before closure)
  • Buyers’ Agreement to Inspect an OWTS (attach this form to an application if an inspection could not be performed prior to closing)
  • Buyers’ Agreement to Inspect an OWTS (attach this form to an application if an inspection could not be performed prior to closing)
  • Buyers’ Agreement to Inspect an OWTS (attach this form to an application if an inspection could A register of local certified inspectors is maintained by the SJBPH as a convenience to the public. This is not an official or comprehensive list, and you should always check to see whether an inspector’s certificate is still valid before hiring them to do an inspection on your property. Additionally, there may be other qualified inspectors listed on the NAWT website who are not included on SJBPH’s courtesy list.
  • On the NAWT website, you may look for an inspector by clicking here.

The San Juan Basin Public Health Department requires that anybody who desires to build, construct, amend, or repair an on-site wastewater treatment system (OWTS) in Archuleta, La Plata, or San Juan Counties first get a permission from the department. Learn more about how to get an on-site wastewater system permit and how to prepare for a site review by visiting the following websites:

  • How to Obtain an OWTS Permit
  • Como Obtener un Permiso para un Sistema de Tratamiento de Aguas Residuales in el Lugar
  • OWTS Permit Application
  • How to Obtain an OWTS Permit
  • Como Obtener un Permiso para un Sistema de Tratamiento de Aguas Residuales en el Lugar
  • SJBPH Regulations for 2018
  • Regulation 43 of Colorado (which provides the majority of the design rules for OWTS)
  • Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) regarding OWTS

Remember that submitting an application for the installation of an OWTS does not guarantee the approval of a permit on marginal lots; marginal lots may be small in size, contain steep slopes, have shallow bedrock or shallow groundwater, or do not comply with setback requirements; please keep this in mind. Professional engineering must be included in the design of OWTS that will service commercial premises or multifamily houses, as well as all OWTS that will be positioned on unsuitable soil, high groundwater, high bedrock, or steep slopes.

Site and soil evaluations must be carried out by Soil Technicians who are registered with the state.

  • Professionally Certified Soil Technicians (as of January 2020)

Regulations require that all OWTS be installed by a System Contractor who is currently licensed and that the Contractor has a permit to build, amend, or repair the OWTS that has been signed by SJBPH before breaking ground. Please keep in mind that contractor licenses expire on December 31 and may not have been renewed promptly. Check with your contractor to ensure that their license is valid for the year 2020. Construction inspections of new OWTS facilities are planned as part of the permitting procedure for the facility.

Click on theTransfer of Titletab above to learn more about the obligatory inspections of existing systems required for the purpose of transferring ownership of the property.

  1. A new construction permit application or modular house permit application that plans to utilize an existing OWTS must be accompanied by a request for inspection. For the aim of gathering information or investigating a potential problem, a voluntary inspection of an existing system may be requested. To request an inspection for the purpose of concluding an expired permit (be sure to check with SJBPH first to ensure that a new permit is not necessary prior to continuing)
See also:  How Much Does It Cost To Drain Septic Tank Morristown Tennessee? (Solution)

If you find yourself in one of these circumstances, take the steps outlined below. First and foremost, a qualified system cleaner must pump out the septic tank (if the tank was pumped within the last year, provide SJBPH that receipt and do not re-pump the tank). The cleaner will conduct a check of the system and provide a report on its current state. This report will include a description of the activity(s) performed, the volume of the septic tank, the number of chambers in the septic tank, and any system deficiency(s), malfunction, or broken equipment that was observed, such as cracks, infiltration, overflows, or equipment that was not in accordance with industry standards.

To request an examination of the surface characteristics of your septic system, fill out the form below and submit it to the SJBPH. Additionally, a check of the SJBPH permits records for the subject property is conducted in conjunction with this inspection.

  • Form for requesting an OWTS inspection (Do not use this form for transfer of title inspections. ) (See “Transfer of Title” above for further information.)

Please keep in mind that for both volunteer inspections and inspections for construction permit applications, a five-day notice is necessary. Additionally, inspections of existing systems with an Inspector who has been qualified by the National Association of Wastewater Technicians might be planned (NAWT). You may find a list of qualified inspectors in your area by visiting theTransfer of Titletab above. SJBPH requires that anybody planning to install an OWTS in 2022 get a license from the SJBPH.

The System Contractors Class is offered by SJBPH on a regular basis throughout the year.

If you did not receive one, please contact SJBPH at (970) 335-2054.

  • February 25, March 25, April 29, May 27, June 24, September 30, and October 28 are the dates to remember.

For the foreseeable future, lessons will be conducted online as a result of COVID-19. It is necessary to register in advance! To register, please call 970-335-2054 or email [email protected] After enrolling, you will get an email with a link that will allow you to participate in the online training session on the designated day. Licenses expire at the end of the calendar year in which they are issued.

  • Licensed contractors by license
  • Licensed contractors alphabetically(updated May 2021)
  • Installation Fundamentals
  • Las bases de la Instalacion de Sistemas Septicos
  • Registered Soil Technicians(updated April 2021)
  • Licensed contractors by license
  • Licensed contractors by license, alphabetical(updated May 2021)
  • Licensed contractors, alphabetical(updated May 2021)
  • Licensed contractors,

Cleaners who are licensed by the SJBPH include:

  • Septic companies in the area include: Superior Septic Services (Durango, CO), Ball Septic Tank Service (Durango, CO), Alpine Septic Service (Pagosa Springs, CO), Rocky Mountain Sanitation (Pagosa Springs), Southwest Septic (Mancos, CO), Mountain Septic (Durango, CO), Durango Septic (Durango, CO)
  • Mountain Septic (Durango, CO)
  • Durango Septic (Durango, CO)
  • Mountain Septic

Information on On-site Wastewater Treatment System permits (including the name of the original permittee and their address) is available on our website, thanks to a grant from the San Juan Basin Public Health Department. We will accept written requests from law enforcement officials who wish to have their personal information withheld from our website in order to comply with Colorado Revised Statutes 18-9-313 regarding the online availability of a law enforcement official’s (and their live-in immediate family’s) personal information on our website.

Permits will only be removed from the public database if they are related with the name of a law enforcement officer or the name of their live-in immediate family, according to the SJBPH.

  • You may request that your personal information be removed from our website.

You can request that your personal information be removed from our website.

  • Postal correspondence should be addressed to San Juan Basin Public Health, ATTN: EH, 281 Sawyer Drive Suite 300, Durango, CO 81303
  • Email should be addressed to [email protected]

The most recent version of the OWTS rules.

For services offered by San Juan Basin Public Health, including all OWTS permit, licensing, and transfer of title costs, please see the current pricing structure below.

Septic Systems

  • Approval for construction
  • Approval for operation
  • Approval for septic system
Many changes to systems require Approval for Construction

Preliminary approval for construction must be obtained prior to converting a structure from seasonal to full-time occupancy, prior to increasing the load on an existing septic system, and/or prior to commencing any additions to a structure. Preliminary approval must also be obtained prior to replacing or expanding a structure, subject to the requirements of RSA 485-A:38, II-a.

An inspector will determine whether the system meets requirements

A New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services inspector will inspect and assess the newly constructed septic system to confirm that it has been installed in line with the objective of the authorized design. An electronic Approval for Septic System Operation will be completed once the inspector has decided that the system complies with all relevant regulations. A digital copy of the approval will be kept on file with the New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services. Inspectors from different regions

Guidance and permit applications for septic systems

In the case of any structure from which wastewater will be discharged on site and to which a water supply is or will be connected, a septic system will be needed to be installed. If your septic system is properly planned, implemented, and maintained, it should provide you with many years of trouble-free service. The New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services (NHDES) provides instructions for filing applications, which can also be completed online through e-permitting. Locate the relevant apps.

Archive Records

Considering that the Subsurface Systems Act was enacted only in 1967, there are no records in existence if the building was built before 1967. The majority of the septic systems constructed within 1,000 feet of a surface water during the period 1967 to 1971 are included in the state records. The catalog of these records may not necessarily contain all of the information. From 1967 until 1986, the state’s records were exclusively comprised of paper documents. The municipality in which the structure is located may keep paper or electronic records of the structure’s history.

Make a request for an archive by filling out the form below.

On Site Sewage System, Large, Operating Permit

The Department of Health (DOH) examines engineering plans, design and construction documentation, as well as the installation of on-site sewage systems that treat residential-strength sewage with a peak daily flow ranging from 3,500 to 100,000 gallons at any common point in the system’s design. When a large on-site sewage system (LOSS) is employed, the Department of Health and Human Services (DOH) grants permissions and yearly operating licences to guarantee that sewage is adequately treated and that public health and the environment are maintained over the long term.

  • Treatment takes place in a septic tank or similar type of treatment system, as well as in the subsurface drainfield, if applicable.
  • Construction submittals and design submittals must be prepared by a registered professional engineer who holds a valid license under Chapter 18.43 RCW.
  • Permits and reviews for other related activities For minor systems (with a peak daily flow of less than 3,500 gallons), the local health body in the county where the property is situated evaluates and approves the proposed treatment system before it is built.
  • For sludge utilization initiatives, it is the responsibility of local health authorities to assess and provide approval.

Ecology regulates and issues permits for on-site sewage systems that discharge directly to surface water, as well as systems that discharge to groundwater through a drainfield in situations where groundwater is in hydraulic continuity with surface water, according to the Environmental Protection Agency.

Who Issues this Permit?

Department of Health and Human Services

What Activities Require this Permit?

An operating permit is required for the installation and operation of LOSS to treat residential-strength sewage through septic tanks or other treatment processes, followed by distribution through drainfields where the daily peak flow is between 3,500 and 100,000 gallons per day at any common site.

How Much Will this Permit Cost?

There are payments associated with this permit, including project and permitting fees. It is possible to get a pricing schedule by calling WAC 246-272-3000.

Do I Need to Include Anything with my Application?

To submit a project review submission form for a new LOSS, it is necessary to include a check for $800, which serves as the first review cost. On the basis of the department’s design flow approval, the owner of a planned new LOSS must submit the first operating permit fee in order to begin operations. The applications must be accompanied by the yearly operating permit fee as well as the renewal charge. The Department of Health and Human Services will determine the permit price for an existing LOSS that has not previously obtained a DOH permit based on the information provided in the application and will pay the system owner.

Is the Decision on my Permit Dependent on Anything Besides the Information in my Application?

The operating permission for a new LOSS will not be provided until the design and specifications have been evaluated and approved by the city. The permit requirements will be based on the LOSS regulation, which is found in Chapter 246-272B WAC, and will be designed to safeguard public safety and the environment. Demonstration of compatibility with local government planning is one of the requirements for project submission. Due to the fact that excavation will take place, the project may additionally need to comply with the regulations of the Department of Archaeological and Historic Preservation.

How Long Will it Take to Review my Application?

Within 30 days after receipt of a completed operating permit application and all associated payments, the permit will be issued.

Where do I Submit my Application?

Each and every application for an operating permit:LOSS Program The Washington State Department of Health is located at PO Box 47824 in Olympia, Washington 98504. Projects on the Westside: The Loss of Sight Program Washington State Department of Health PO Box 47824 Olympia, WA 98504-7824 Washington State Department of Health Eastside The Loss of Sight Program is being run by the Washington State Department of Health, which is located at 16201 East Indiana Avenue, Suite 1500 in Spokane Valley.

How Long is my Permit Valid?

The operating permission for LOSS is valid for one year from the date of issuance and must be renewed on an annual basis. The approval to construct or alter a LOSS is valid for two years from the date of grant. If it expires prior to the start of construction, all procedural approvals, as well as the operating permit, are null and invalid.

Before the initial permission expires, the owner may file a written request for a single extension of up to two years before the approval expires. The operating permit for pre-construction activities is valid for one year and must be renewed on an annual basis.

What is the Appeal Process for the Permit?

An application or permit holder who disagrees with a departmental decision involving a permit, certificate, approval, or fine may submit a written request to the Department of Health and Human Services (DOH) for an adjudication. Third parties that are dissatisfied with permission decisions for a LOSS with a peak daily flow greater than 14,500 gallons may also make a written request for an adjudicative process with the appropriate regulatory authority. An adjudicative procedure of this nature will be in accordance with Chapter 34.05 RCW.

Notes / Comments:

Application Information:The “Project Submittal Form,” which is required for project evaluation and approval for a new LOSS and is available online at LOSS project submission form for large on-site sewage system (LOSS) construction (Word). The application for an existing LOSS that does not have a prior DOH operating permission will be delivered to the owner by the Department of Health and Human Services. To acquire the form, you must contact the LOSS program.

The application for the first permit is not necessary until the Department of Health and Human Services (DOH) has approved all of the requisite project submittals.

Contact the Department of Health and Human Services’ Office of Environmental Health and Safety, Wastewater Management Section, at (360) 236-3382 or [email protected] for additional information about wastewater management.

Permit Timeliness Results

The data collection on permit timeliness is being done in response to aState Auditor’s Performance Audit andRCW 43.42A. Each regulatory agency devised a strategy to increase the clarity, predictability, and timeliness of permit approvals. Each agency takes into account the user’s experience to ensure that permit help is simple to use, convenient to obtain, and developed in a customer-friendly manner for the benefit of the consumer. The Governor’s Office for Regulatory Innovation and Assistance requests that agencies report their progress (ORIA).

See the most recent report here:.

The following are the outcomes of the performance data analysis: Application for a permit is expected to take the agency an estimated amount of time to process (Definition) The average number of days it takes from receipt to completion is 2 days.

An estimate of the amount of time the agency will take to issue a permit decision (Definition) The average number of days it takes from the time an application is completed to the time a decision is made is 6.

The maximum number of days that can elapse between the completion of the application and the decision is 25. (Based on 350 submissions in 2020, these are the preliminary findings.)

Where can I get permitting assistance?

Phone numbers for customer service include: Tumwater (360-236-3382), Spokane (509-329-2100), or 1-800-525-0127 (for TTY users, dial 711).

Statewide Contact:

Department of Health Division of Environmental Public Health Wastewater Management Section 243 Israel Rd SE Tumwater WA 98501 PO Box 47824, Olympia, WA 98504-7824 Telephone: (360) 236-3382 Email:[email protected]: Permit information last updated 2/25/2021

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *