How To Find Out If Permit For Septic Tank Was Applied? (Perfect answer)

  • If you do not already have one, contact your county health department for a copy of your septic tank system permit, which will indicate the approximate location of the system and the size of the tank.

Are septic tank locations public record?

Contact your local health department for public records. These permits should come with a diagram of the location where the septic system is buried. Depending on the age of your septic system, you may be able to find information regarding the location of your septic system by making a public records request.

How do I find out if my septic tank is registered?

Check if your septic tank is already registered You can check if your tank has already been registered by contacting your environmental regulator. If you are unsure then it is best to check and avoid making an unnecessary payment. The NIEA and SEPA have records of all registered septic tanks.

Does my septic tank have a permit?

Most small sewage treatment systems and septic tanks will be eligible for an exemption from Permit, but this does depend upon various factors (for example, if your property is close to a nature conservation area the Environment Agency may require that you obtain a permit) details of which can be obtained from the

Do I need a certificate for my septic tank?

The General Binding Rules were designed to simplify the regulation of small sewage discharges. Septic tanks and small sewage treatment plants no longer need to be registered and there is no legal requirement to keep records of maintenance (although this is advisable).

How do you find a buried septic tank?

Tips for locating your septic tank

  1. If the septic tank lid is underground, you can use a metal detector to locate it.
  2. You can use a flushable transmitter that is flushed in the toilet and then the transmitter is tracked with a receiver.

How do you find a metal detector with a septic tank?

6 Steps to Locate a Septic Tank

  1. Find Your Main Sewer Drain Line. Sewage from your toilets, sinks, and showers collects into a main drain line.
  2. Check Permits and Public Records.
  3. Determine Septic Tank Material.
  4. Time to Dig.
  5. Mark the Location for Future Maintenance.

When did septic tank regulations come in?

The General Binding Rules Regulations for small sewage discharges from Septic Tanks and Sewage Treatment Plants. New septic tank rules for small sewage discharges came into force on 1 January 2015. If your septic tank system was installed and in use before 31 December 2014, it is classed as an ‘existing discharge’.

What are the new rules on septic tanks?

According to new regulations passed in 2015, if your septic tank discharges to surface water such as a ditch, stream, canal or river, you will have to upgrade your system to a sewage treatment plant or install a soakaway system by 1 January 2020.

Can you sell a property with a septic tank?

If you’re selling a property with a septic tank, then you must be transparent with buyers about the fact the property uses a one and provide a detailed specification of the system. In fact, You are required by law to inform a buyer in writing about the presence of a septic tank. The age of the system.

Who owns a septic tank?

Whose responsibility is a shared septic tank? Each resident is equally responsible for the shared drainage system, unless stated otherwise in your property deeds. That means that each household must take responsibility for regular drainage maintenance, septic tank emptying and any problems with the septic tank.

Who is responsible for a septic tank?

Homeowners. If you’re an owner-occupier and your property has a septic tank, it’s very straightforward: you are fully responsible for your septic tank. If there are any issues with it, it is up to you to fix them.

Can you sell a house with a non compliant septic tank?

If you are selling the property, it is your responsibility to install a sewage treatment system compliant with the general binding rules. Being non-compliant will not only detract potential buyers but you may also be subject to enforcement action by the Environment Agency.

What makes a septic tank non compliant?

A septic system can be non-compliant for a wide variety of reasons. A leaking tank, poor effluent quality or a tank discharging directly to a soakaway or stream are common causes for non compliance. (The latter being the most recent regulation in the general binding rules to be enforced as of January 2020.)

What are the general binding rules for septic tanks?

The general binding rules stipulate that where properties with septic tanks that discharge directly to surface water are sold, responsibility for the replacement or upgrade of the existing treatment system should be addressed between the buyer and seller as a condition of sale.

Septic System Construction Permit

You will need to clean or pump out your tank on a regular basis if your tank becomes overflowing. Septic tank cleaning services are typically required every 3 to 5 years for the majority of households; but, depending on the size of your septic tank and the size of your family, you may require Septic Tank Cleaning Services as frequently as every 1-3 years in some cases. In the event that you are confused as to how full your septic tank is, a professional examination by septic tank professionals is highly suggested.

If you live in or near San Diego County or Riverside, California, you can benefit from the services of Lanik Septic Tank Cleaning.

What Information Must I Provide?

Applicant’s information can be submitted using the web portal*, and it includes the following:

  • Identify the landowner’s name and address, as well as the location or site’s size and number of occupants (including number of bedrooms), water consumption amounts, whether there is an excavated basement, whether there are basement plumbing fixtures, whether the house and lot have been staked, and the name of the installer (if any). Drawing showing the property boundaries, home site position, well location, spring location, planned roadway and utilities, and driving instructions to the site are included in this document. For large conventional or alternative systems, soil maps are created by a soil scientist (if necessary), and system design is completed by a licensed engineer.

*Please keep in mind that the Division suggests that you apply online in order to expedite the application processing. Paper applications, on the other hand, will continue to be accepted at the relevant Environmental Field Office. (CN-0971, Form CN-0971)

Helpful Lists:

  • The Division of Water Resources is a division of the Department of Water Resources. CONSULTANTS APPROVED BY THE DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE
  • INACTIVE INSTALLERS- This list, grouped by county, covers those persons who have valid permits to construct, install, modify, or repair a septic system. It should be noted that installation permits are valid across the state, not only in the counties indicated. A separate permission may be required in contract counties such as Blount and Davidson counties as well as Hamilton and Jefferson counties as well as Knox and Madison counties as well as Shelby and Williamson counties. Individuals possessing valid licenses to remove (pump) household septage from septic tanks, holding tanks, portable toilets, or other similar sewage treatment or disposal facilities are listed on this page as “Active Pumpers.”

How Will My Application Be Processed?

The Division of Water Resources is responsible for the management of water resources in the state. CONSULTANTS APPROVED BY THE DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE; INACTIVE INSTALLERS- This list, grouped by county, covers those persons who hold valid permits to construct, install, modify, or repair a septic system. It is important to note that installation permits are valid across the state, not simply in the counties indicated above. A separate permission may be required in contract counties such as Blount and Davidson counties as well as Hamilton and Jefferson counties as well as Knox, Madison, Sevier, and Shelby counties.

What Fees Are Required?

New Conventional or Large Diameter Gravelless Pipe SSDS Permit $400 up to 1000 gallons per day design flow$100 for each additional 1000 gpd flow
New Conventional or Large Diameter Gravelless Pipe SSDS Construction Inspection $100
New Alternative SSDS Permit $500 up to 1000 gallons per day design flow$150 for each additional 1000 gpd flow
Alternative SSDS Construction Inspection $200
Experimental SSDS Permit $500
Repair Permit No permit fee
Repair Construction Inspection $100

What Are My Rights and Responsibilities After the Permit is Approved?

The applicant has the authority to carry out the activities that were granted in the permission application. They are responsible for notifying the Department of any changes to the information in the application. The applicant is responsible for complying with any state legislation and regulations that may be applicable. A system’s installation must be reported to the Division by the applicant or installer of the SSDS so that it may be examined and certified as compliant. Applicants who have had their permits rejected, suspended, or cancelled have the opportunity to file an appeal with the appropriate authority.

What Are the Division’s Rights and Responsibilities After the Permit is Approved?

During each SSDS installation, the Division inspects the system to confirm that it was installed in line with the permit conditions and regulatory requirements. In the event that an applicant fails to comply with state legislation or departmental rules, the Division has the authority to revoke, suspend, or refuse the issue of a permit.

Any individual who violates or fails to comply with state legislation, rules, or regulations may be susceptible to civil fines as a result of their actions.

Whom Do I Contact For Applications, Assistance and Other Information?

Applicants can acquire applications and information from the Environmental Field Office that is most convenient for them.

Applicants may refer to the following publications for further information:

  • The relevant Environmental Field Office can provide applicants with applications and information.

Online Septic Research

The Environmental Services Department of Maricopa County maintains a database that contains all of the county’s existing approved septic systems for the purpose of preservation. Please bear in mind that property owners are responsible for maintaining accurate records of the location and maintenance of their septic system for the duration of the system’s life.

Alteration Permit

An Alteration Permit will be required for onsite systems that have a failing tank or disposal field.

Abandonment Permit

An Abandonment Permit will be required for any onsite systems that are to be abandoned in order to connect to the municipal sewage system or that are to be taken out of operation.


Option 1: You may perform your own study at no cost by using the Online Septic Search Tool (available at no expense). Option 2: You can call the Environmental Services Department and ask for a more in-depth search to be undertaken (fees will apply for research conducted by the department for each parcel).

  • Researchers charge a cost of $30 for research requests that take 3 to 7 business days. Expedited researchers charge a $60 price for research requests that take 1 to 2 business days. Septic Research Request Form.

How to locate a septic tank

A home’s construction year and whether a copy of the septic permit is accessible determine the procedure for locating a septic tank on a property, which might take many weeks or months. Please choose one of the scenarios listed below and follow the instructions.

For homes built in the last five (5) years or less

Obtain a copy of your septic tank permit from your local Department of Health and Human Services office. Please fill out as much of the information below as possible to help us expedite the search:

  • Number of the tax map
  • Lot number
  • Block number
  • Physical address
  • When the system was installed or when the house was built (if this information is available)
  • Name of initial permit holder (if known)
  • Name of the subdivision (if the property is located within a subdivision)

A copy of a septic tank permit can be obtained from a local DHEC office by any individual or group, regardless of whether or not they own the land in question.

For homes older than five (5) years or if a copy of the septic permit was not able to be located.

It is recommended that you call an experienced septic contractor who will come to the site and assist you with the identification of the current septic system. You may find a list of licensed septic installers by clicking here.


Septic Tank Alerts Septic Tank Alerts

Permits, Licenses and Reports

If you pick an accelerated alternative, please tell the office with your selection of options as soon as possible. Fee for application: $150

  • Step 1: Read and completely complete the Onsite Wastewater System Applicationand send it to your local Environmental Affairs Office. Step 2: An original plat or deed of the land will also be required to be submitted. If you do not have a copy of the plat or deed, you may learn more about how to get one by clicking here. The office will contact you as soon as your application has been received to confirm receipt of your application and to discuss electronic payment alternatives with you. We do not take cash as a form of payment. Please see this sample application, Onsite Wastewater System Application, for a reference guide on how to complete the application. Step 2: Your application will be examined to ensure that all required material has been submitted and is in order. If everything is in order, your application fee will be accepted
  • Otherwise, it will be rejected. Step 3:If a site visit is necessary, the inspector will assess the appropriateness of the property for the installation of a septic system. If the inspector finds that your site is suitable for a typical septic system, he or she will give you with a Permit to Construct document. The inspector will discuss possible solutions with you if the permit is not approved by the inspection team. A request for test pits may be made by the Department in circumstances where the evaluator meets a barrier during the first site evaluation or in cases where it is recognized that an area would require test pits owing to the soil characteristics of the region. The midlands and upstate parts of the state are the most typical locations where soil characteristics necessitate the use of test pits. It is important to note that test pits may not be an option in coastal and sandy locations around the state. Consult with your local office staff for more detailed information on your individual situation. As soon as you have received your Permit to Construct, you should call a professional onsite wastewater system contractor to complete the installation of your septic tank. In Step 5, the installer must call DHEC in order to schedule a time for the septic system to be inspected before it is covered, before completing the septic system installation. After waiting 30 minutes over the scheduled time for a DHEC inspector, a licensed installer has the option to conduct a self-inspection of the installation to ensure that everything is in working order. The installation is required to provide documentation to the Department on the DHEC-approved formD-3978, Contractor Approval to Operate
See also:  Run Water When Cleaning Septic Tank? (Question)

Expires and modifications to permits: Permits to Construct are valid for five years. If you want to renew your permission after five years, or if you want to make modifications to it after it has been authorized, you must submit a new application and pay the price once again. These regulations authorize the charge and permission in the following ways:

  • Regulation 61-56, Onsite Wastewater Systems
  • Regulation 61-55, Septic Tank Site Evaluation Fees
  • And Regulation 61-56, Onsite Wastewater Systems

Because improperly designed septic systems can degrade water quality and cause illness, South Carolina law mandates that all septic systems have site approvals and permits before they can be installed. If you want to construct a home or relocate a prefabricated home on land that is not served by a public or municipal sewer system, you must first seek clearance from the Department of Health and Human Services and a permit to install a septic system. You will be unable to obtain a building permit until you obtain this permit from your local government.

  1. Depending on how saturated the soil is, we may not be able to conduct a thorough examination.
  2. This is analogous to farmers being forced to postpone the planting or harvesting of their crops.
  3. To submit an application for a septic system, you must first download and complete anonsite wastewater application, which you must then submit to your local Environmental Affairs Office.
  4. If you have any questions, please contact the Environmental Affairs Office in your area for assistance.

The Department of Health and Human Services requires that you be licensed and renew your license every year if you build, clean, or repair septic systems or if you truck and dispose of sewage from septic systems and portable toilets.

Application Form

Complete the application for a License to Construct or Clean Onsite Wastewater Systems and Self-Contained Toilets by downloading and completing the form. Please contact your local Department of Health and Human Services Environmental Affairs office to make preparations for testing if you are interested in becoming a septic system installation.

License Fees

The following costs are required for onsite wastewater system installations, pumpers/haulers, and pumpers/haulers are required for yearly renewal:

  • Licensing fees for construction are $100, cleaning fees are $100, and a combined construction and cleaning fee is $150
  • A Master Contractor license is $200.

You must pay these costs on an annual basis in order to keep your license active. An additional late fee will be levied if we do not receive payment by the due date on your invoice. Unless you pay your renewal costs and late fees within 90 days of the due date for your license to operate on septic systems or truck sewage, your license to do so will automatically expire.

Installer and Master Contractor Exams

In order to be approved to construct work with septic systems and/or wastewater disposal, as well as for a Master Contractor license, you must first pass an exam that assesses your knowledge of Regulation 61-56, which is available online. To pass, you must have an 80 percent or higher score. If you do not pass this test on the first try, you can repeat it within 30 days of failing. If you fail the test a second time, you can repeat it after 60 days if you have not passed the first time. You will not be required to repeat the exam once you have been granted a license, provided that you continue to pay the yearly license renewal costs and submit all required paperwork.

Other License Requirements

  • Inspection of Vehicles: The Department of Health and Human Services has the authority to examine any vehicles used to pump and convey sewage. You must keep your vehicle inventory list up to current and on file with the Department of Health and Human Services
  • List of Disposal Facilities Is Required : This includes a list of sewage disposal facilities that you intend to use, together with documented approval from the facilities themselves. It is necessary to keep a record of your activities: You must keep a log (record) of each pumping and disposal load that is transported by each truck. You must make this record of actions accessible to the Department of Health and Human Services upon request.

The following regulations permit the issuance of septic system contractor licenses:

  • Regulation 61-56, Onsite Wastewater Systems
  • Regulation 61-56.1, Permit to Construct or Clean Onsite Sewage Treatment and Disposal Systems and Self-Contained Toilets
  • And Regulation 61-56, Onsite Wastewater Systems Licensing of Onsite Wastewater Systems Master Contractors (Regulation 61-56.2)


Septic Tank Alerts Septic Tank Alerts

Obtaining a Septic System Permit

Once you have received approval for your soil evaluation, you can proceed to apply for your septic permit. Remember to carefully study the soil evaluation provided by our office in order to establish the unique needs for your location. In addition, for any new building development, you will need to secure the following permits:

  • Land use permits from your local township
  • Soil erosion permits from the Drain Commissioner
  • And driveway permits from the Road Commission are all examples of permits that you may need.

Once you have secured these permissions, you will be able to submit an application for a building permit. Further information can be obtained by contacting theLivingston County Building Department (LCBD). The Livingston County Building Department has permitting jurisdiction over the entire county, with the exception of Green Oak Township. If your construction project is located in Green Oak Township, please contact the township’s building department for further information.

How do I apply for my septic system permit?

Fill out and submit a permit application to the Livingston County Health Department – Environmental Health Division at 2300 E. Grand River, Suite 102, Howell, MI 48843, or call (517) 546-9858 for more information. The following information must be included in the application:

  1. Application form that has been completed
  2. For new development, documentation of permanent street address (tax bill, township address form, and so on) is required
  3. Package identification number with ten digits (Only for new construction) A verified survey and legal description (only for new construction)
  4. A copy of a detailed story outline
  5. And Fees that are reasonable

As soon as these papers are received, a Sanitarian will analyze them and either grant the permit or call you to seek more information within 3-5 business days.

Permits will be mailed or picked up at your discretion after they have been issued. Permits that have been issued will be automatically forwarded to the municipality and the Building Official.

How long are my permits valid?

You have one year from the day that your sewage/well permit is obtained to finish the building of your structure. Following that, the permit must be rewritten, and a price must be charged. If any modifications are made that necessitate a site visit, an extra cost may be charged for the visit. What kind of inspections will be performed by Livingston County Environmental Health throughout the building of my septic system and how often? Your permit will include a schedule of inspections that you must adhere to.

  1. All inspections will be completed as soon as possible (usually within 24 hours, excluding weekends and holidays).
  2. The following are examples of typical inspections: Inspection of the Excavation: All drainfields must undergo an excavation examination before they may be used.
  3. In this examination, it is determined whether the drainfield’s size and placement are adequate, as well as whether proper soil conditions are present.
  4. For the homeowner’s records, the Sanitarian will create an as-built design of the drainfield site, which will be forwarded to them by the Sanitarian.
  5. Grading Inspection: Following the completion of the final inspection, it may be essential to conduct a final grading inspection to see if the septic tanks and drainfield are properly covered, as well as whether surface water is being channeled away from the system.
  6. Once all of these requirements are satisfied, the completed permit will be delivered to the relevant building department for review and approval.

In order to obtain further information, please contact: Area Sanitarian (based on your Township) Environmental Health Division of the County of Livingston The following are the rules, regulations, and procedures: Livingston County Sanitary Code, Minimum Requirements for Alternative Systems, and Minimum Requirements for Pressure Mounds are all examples of codes that apply in the county.

Septic System Program – AppHealthCare

Detailed information on the services provided by our department, as well as the application procedure necessary for each, may be found on the instruction sheets that are included with the application. There is a distinct permission procedure for each sort of construction project, whether it is a new construction, an extension, a reuse project, or a repair project.

Please read the application instructions completely, and if you have any problems, please do not hesitate to contact the health department.

New Construction

For any new septic system construction, make sure to follow the instructions in the application packet. This booklet outlines all of the processes needed in submitting an application for a new septic system. Before submitting an application, it is critical that all of the processes have been thoroughly thought out and accomplished. This will substantially aid in the expediting of the procedure.

Expansion of an Existing System

When making improvements to a facility, such as adding a bedroom to a house or expanding the number of employees in a business, the design capacity of the septic system is often the limiting issue. For example, if the original septic system was intended to handle a three-bedroom house and the owners desire to add a fourth bedroom, an extension of the current septic system will be necessary to meet the additional bedrooms. The application procedure for an expansion is quite similar to the application process for a new building project in most respects.

It will be easier to locate each of them if the original licenses granted by this agency are retained, as would any descriptions of soil conditions on the land.

When planning an extension of any facility, our office recommended that a copy of the Operation Permit be obtained so that the septic system may be taken into consideration during the design stage.

Although it is not always essential, it may be important for this department to inspect the site before any holes are dug on the property in order to prevent the current septic system from being disrupted.

Reuse of Existing Systems

Recycling an existing system, such as replacing an old mobile house with a new mobile home, is an example of system repurposing.

  • Our department should be able to assist you in locating the original permit. In order to do so, the applicant must determine the year the system was established as well as the name under which the septic system was installed. However, in other situations, the permit number will suffice
  • However, the applicant must first identify the size and location of the new construction that will be linked to the existing septic system
  • And then apply for the permission. The location of the planned construction on the site must be marked with stakes
  • The septic tank must be identified, exposed, and drained out. This will allow our staff to check the tank’s condition and make any necessary improvements if they determine that they are necessary. As soon as the tank has been drained out, it is best to arrange an examination of the septic tank and drain field to ensure that there are no problems. This is done in order to avoid having to pump out the tank more than once.

Repairing a Failing System

In most cases, a malfunctioning septic system is not something that most people want to deal with for an extended period of time. Slow drains from the toilet, shower, or sink located in the part of the dwelling closest to the septic tank may be the first signs of a problem. In most cases, this symptom arises during periods of heavy water use and might be resolved by having the septic tank drained out and the effluent filter thoroughly cleaned. If this occurs, the first thing our department will propose is that the tank be pumped completely.

  • In reality, all tanks should be emptied every three to five years, depending on their age.
  • If this is the case, it is likely that the problem may be resolved quickly; for example, by repairing a leaking shower or toilet or by adjusting the distribution box.
  • There are a variety of reasons for a system to fail, and discovering which one is the cause might take considerable time and effort.
  • Permits are required for any work performed on an on-site septic system, even if the system is in poor working order.

When dealing with a failed system, this agency, on the other hand, does not charge a fee or need submission of an application. It is possible that some work will be required in order to locate historical permits and property lines.

Onsite Sewage FAQ – Permitting

What is the process for obtaining a building permit for a septic tank system or other onsite sewage treatment and disposal system (OSTDS)? Septic tank permits are issued by the Environmental Health Section of the Florida Department of Health’s local county health department offices, which are located in each county. Please keep in mind that many counties have local rules that may go beyond the standards of the state for OSTDS compliance. What is the procedure for submitting an application for a permit?

See also:  What To Put In Septic Tank For Bacteria? (Solved)

Click here to download and complete an Application Form (DH4015, page 1) It is necessary to do a Site Evaluation (DH4015, page 3) in order to establish the circumstances on your land, and it must be done by a trained specialist.

In addition, the total permitting price will be determined by your county health department based on the type of system that is required for your property and the services that you want they execute.

Standards for Septic Tanks Section 381.0065 of the Florida Statutes (F.S.) and Chapter 62-6 of the Florida Administrative Code (F.A.C.) contain standards for septic tank systems and other OSTDS.

Septic Systems

  • An example of an application, a site plan, Orange County Regulations for Wastewater Treatment and Disposal Systems, Planning and Zoning Approval for other jurisdictions that are not in Orange County, and more.
  • Seek the services of an installation or inspector who is NC Certified and Orange County Registered. Locate a soil scientist who is licensed to practice. Obtain the services of a competent engineer for wastewater design
  • Find a subsurface operator (open an excel spreadsheet and sort by county)
  • Locate a septic tank pumper (open an excel spreadsheet with septage companies and sort by county)


Make an appointment for your WTMP inspection HERE.

Other Septic System Links

  • On-Site Water Protection from the North Carolina Division of Environmental Health
  • Septic Smart from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
  • General Operation and Maintenance publications
  • And Septic Smart from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
  • Owner’s Guide to Septic Systems
  • Septic Systems and Their Maintenance
  • Why Do Septic Systems Fail

Contractor Resources

What is the recommended frequency of septic tank pumping? A septic tank should be pumped out on a regular basis to ensure that the system is operating correctly. Pumping frequency is determined by the volume of sewage generated by the household as well as its population size and tank capacity. In general, a septic tank should be examined every 5 years to determine whether or not it requires pumping. More information may be found on the Septic Systems and Maintenance page maintained by North Carolina State University.

A septic system should be inspected at least once every five years to see whether the septic tank needs to be pumped and whether there are any other operating issues.

You should contact our office to have someone come out and inspect the system if you feel there is an issue, such as damp patches in that region of your yard, sluggish draining plumbing, or sewage stench.

To keep your septic system in good working order, you should save water, avoid flushing chemicals or grease down the drain, keep the ground cover over the drain field in good condition, and have the tank inspected every five years.

What permissions are required for the construction of a house? In the case of new residences or businesses developed in areas where there is no sewer infrastructure, the following licenses will be required to be given by Environmental Health:

  • Improvement Permission: This is a permit that is provided for areas that have soil that is suitable for the installation of a sewage treatment system. Some of the properties that have recently been subdivided have already been granted with an upgrade permit. To obtain a copy of the improvement permit, please contact our office. Installation of Septic System: The construction authorization permit, which is required prior to the issuance of a building permit, authorizes the installation of the septic system. A construction permit application must be submitted with a floor plan of the building and a site plan of the land in order to be approved for construction. Water Well Permission: If your property does not have access to public water, you will also need to apply for a well permit.

What if I already have a property that I wish to renovate or expand? What should I do? The Existing System Authorization is required if you are not expanding the number of bedrooms in your home and the addition does not intrude on your septic system or well. To be considered, you will need to submit an application as well as floor plans and a site plan. Our office will conduct a site inspection and, if there are no issues, will grant the authorisation prior to the issuance of the construction permit.

  • Please consult with a member of our team in order to make this judgment.
  • In septic systems, the term “conventional septic system” refers to the type of drain field used.
  • An underground drain field is made out of a trench filled with gravel and a pipe or some other material that allows the liquid from a septic tank to seep into the surrounding soil.
  • The size of a septic system is determined by the number of bedrooms in a residence.
  • To extend the size of your home from a three-bedroom to a four- or five-bedroom home on a site that already has a permit for a three-bedroom home, you will need to apply for a new improvement permit and building permission, as well as a new septic system.
  • A typical 4-bedroom septic system and repair area will require around 1/4 to 1/3 of an acre of appropriate soil for installation and maintenance.
  • Repair areas are areas of appropriate soil that are set aside in case the original drainfield fails for a variety of reasons.
  • While one drainfield is hard at work, the other is taking a well-deserved break and rejuvenating.
  • What kinds of trees may I plant in the vicinity of the septic tank?
  • Planting trees near the drain field area is not encouraged, although it is an option available to property owners.
  • A common misconception is that most modern drain fields have just 6 to 12 inches of back fill over them, and that planting trees too near to or on top of the drain line may cause harm to the pipe and trench.

If trees are to be planted near the drain field, it is best to avoid planting species that are known to have problematic roots in the soil. These are some of the species:

  • Elms, maples, sweet gum, and willows are examples of trees having fibrous roots.


If your house or business was destroyed in the 2013 Halloween Floods, you may be able to obtain a buyout from the insurance company. Please complete and submit the Travis County Buyout Information Form, and a member of our team will contact you. NEW! If your house or company is located within the Gilleland and Walnut Creek Watershed regions (see map), you may be eligible for a refund of your permit costs whether you repair or replace your On-Site Sewage Facility. To find out if you qualify, fill out the form below (septic tank).

To ask for a refund, you may either download or print the refund form.

To Obtain a Septic Permit

A permit from Travis County is necessary prior to the installation and/or operation of an on-site sewage plant on the property (septic system).


According to the Travis County Code, court orders that embody the policies and practices of Travis County are codified and made available to the public. All of the papers shown on this page are offered solely for the convenience of Code users and do not constitute an official version of the Travis County Code. Please take notice of the following: There are several orders of the Travis County Commissioners Court that have approved and altered this section of the Travis County Code over the years, and here is a compilation of those orders.

Furthermore, in the case of a discrepancy between the language of any real order of the Travis County Commissioners Court contained in the records of the Travis County Clerk and the text of this compilation, the latter shall take precedence over the former.

PLEASE BE ADVISED that our offices have just relocated.

Thank you very much.

  • Onsite Sewage Facilities
  • General Information and Terminology
  • Professionally Designed (Engineered) Checklist
  • Chapter 448: Travis County Rules for Onsite Sewage Facilities
  • Affidavit for the OSSF indicating that maintenance is required
  • Information about the inspection
  • A soil analysis form

We strongly urge candidates to submit their applications online through For further information, please contact us through email or by phone at (512) 854-4215. Our physical and mailing addresses are as follows: Travis County TNR700 Lavaca Street, 5th Floor, Suite 540P.O. Box 1748Austin, Texas 78701 Travis County TNR700 Lavaca Street, 5th Floor, Suite 540 Attn: PermitsPermits is an abbreviation for Permits. The counter is open from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Getting a Permit for an On-Site Sewage Facility – Such as a Septic System

A permit is necessary for the construction, installation, alteration, extension, or repair of an On-site Sewage Facility, with a few exceptions as mentioned below (OSSF).

Always double-check with your local permitting authority before proceeding. Local permitting programs may be more strict than those mandated by state law in some cases. Texas law provides allow for an OSSF to be excluded from permitting requirements if the OSSF meets the following criteria:

  • If the OSSF serves a single family residence on a tract of land that is 10 acres or larger, it is not a nuisance or a groundwater contaminant
  • All parts of the OSSF are at least 100 feet from the property line
  • The effluent is disposed of on the property
  • And, the single family residence is the only dwelling on the tract of land

It is not necessary to get a permit for emergency repairs (such as the replacement of tank lids, input and outlet devices, and the repair of solid lines), but they must be notified to the appropriate permitting body within 72 hours of the start of the repairs. Emergency repairs are specified in 30 TAC Subchapter D, Section 285.35 of the Texas Administrative Code. Even if a permit is not necessary, the OSSF must adhere to the state’s minimal requirements.

Septic Systems

A septic system, if properly planned, installed, and maintained, can offer long-term, effective wastewater treatment for households and businesses that do not have access to municipal sewage treatment. In the event that a septic system is not properly maintained, it may need to be replaced, which might cost thousands of dollars. Furthermore, a failing system has the potential to pollute groundwater, which might be used as a source of drinking water. Septic system inspections are provided by the Health Department in Boone, Campbell, Grant, and Kenton Counties, among other places.

George A.

If you prefer, you may mail your completed papers to the following address: NKY HealthATTN: George Moore8001 Veterans Memorial DriveFlorence, KY41042

Steps to receive approval for a new septic system

  1. In this step, the person selects a building site for their residence (house, mobile home, or commercial business)
  2. The person, or their agent, submits an application (WordorPDF) to the Health Department for an inspection of the site. The following items must be included in the application:
  1. The address and/or location of the site in question
  2. Staked site boundary lines and site measurements should be recorded, and a survey plat copy should be supplied. Identify the locations of existing structures, wells, ponds and streams, as well as any easements, roads and driveways, if any
  3. A map indicating the planned or present position of the structure to be served by the system, as well as the proposed system location (area to be tested). Make a note of any potential alternate areas as well. In the case of private residences: The number of bedrooms, whether or not a garbage disposal will be installed, and whether or not the house will have a basement are all important considerations. For commercial usage, please include the following information: kind of company, number of employees and shifts, type of plumbing fittings planned, and any other pertinent information
  1. It is necessary to pay a $300 site evaluation charge at the time the application is filed. If the findings of the site inspection indicate that there is a usable space for a potential septic system installation, the inspector will mark the location of the usable area. Construction activities such as grading, heavy equipment traffic, the placement of building materials, and other associated activities are not permitted in this region. This is done in order to avoid compaction and soil structure damage, both of which might have a detrimental impact on the system’s capacity to function. Disturbance of the allowed area in the way stated above may result in the site evaluation being nullified. Unless specifically prohibited, normal mowing or bush hogging of the area would be permitted
  2. An applicant will be given with a copy of the site evaluation report when it has been completed. There will be a list of the inspector’s soil characteristic findings in the report, as well as information on the bare minimum system choice. The certified installer is responsible for determining the specific system component requirements associated with any options selected. However, if the installer or applicant has any doubts about the information provided, they can simply call the health inspector for further information. If the site got a suitable or provisionally appropriate overall rating, the certified installer may submit an application to the Health Department for a permit to build a septic system on the property in question. At that time, all relevant papers, as well as the permission money, must be presented to the city. The site evaluation findings about site features, as well as the installer’s system design proposal, will be used to determine whether or not to grant the permit. Once the septic system has been installed, the installer must seek an inspection from the Health Department before any of the work may be reimbursed.
See also:  How To Dig Septic Tank Cover? (Best solution)

Please keep in mind that the actions outlined above should be completed prior to any development taking place on the site. This will allow the property owner to learn about the restrictions of the site, obtain quotes on various solutions, and ensure that the property owner complies with all applicable regulations imposed by the Health Department.

Steps to receive approval to repair or alter a septic system

  1. Make contact with a certified installer to discuss possible system modifications. Fill out a repair site evaluation questionnaire. (Word,PDF)
  2. Obtain a permit for repairs

Requesting an inspection of an existing septic system

Existing septic systems may need to be evaluated in connection with the selling of a property, the construction of an addition, or the reconstruction of a home following a natural disaster. In the event that you are selling or acquiring a house, you can request that the Health Department check the current septic system. Local building code offices mandate that an existing septic system be inspected by the Health Department prior to the issue of a building or modification permit. Please fill out the form (Word, PDF) and send it together with the appropriate cost in order to request an inspection.

More information

The Environmental Protection Agency of the United States has published A Homeowner’s Guide to Septic Systems. Kentucky’s septic system requirements are shown here (902 KAR 10:085)

Department of Environmental Quality : About Septic Systems : Residential Resources : State of Oregon

A Homeowner’s Guide to Septic Systems (U.S. Environmental Protection Agency) septic systems are subject to Kentucky laws and regulations (902 KAR 10:085)

Before you buy

If the land is undeveloped, inquire as to whether the property has been examined for appropriateness for septic systems by either the Department of Environmental Quality or a local government contract agent, and if so, request a copy of the site evaluation report.

The following are the questions you should ask:Has the site changed since it was last evaluated?

  • Well construction, fill, roads, and other modifications can all have an impact on appropriateness. Is the land suitable for your development needs, taking into account the kind of system stated as acceptable on the report and the placement of the septic system that has been approved?

Well building, fill, roads, and other alterations all have an impact on appropriateness. Is the land suitable for your development requirements, taking into account the kind of system mentioned as acceptable on the report and the placement of the septic system that has been approved?

  • Is it true that the system was implemented without a permit? If not, it is possible that the system is very old (permits have been necessary since 1972, and in certain counties even earlier), or that it was unlawfully built. Systems that have been illegally developed may pose a threat to public health or produce pollution. In the future, you may be forced to upgrade or replace the system, and you may be held accountable and penalized if the system malfunctions or poses a concern to public health and safety. If your family or business has a large number of members, is the system the correct size to meet their needs? Permit documents often include information on the system’s capacity in gallons per day. Typical household water use is 450 gallons per day for a four-bedroom home. How old is the system, and has it been adequately maintained over its lifetime? Is there documentation demonstrating that the septic tank was pumped on a regular basis? Have there been any difficulties or complaints that have been brought to your attention in the past? It is possible that your local permitting agency has records of complaints or infractions that have not been addressed yet. Before you moved here, how many people lived in the house? Perhaps the approach works well with a single person but not so well with four individuals. Is the septic tank connected to all of the plumbing fittings
  • And Is there evidence of a septic system failure, such as puddles over the septic tank or flooded drainfields? If the property is next to surface waterways, check to see that there are no direct discharges from the property. When it comes to septic system replacement, is there a suitable location if the existing system fails? In the event that there are any septic permit documents, they will show the replacement area that should still be “laid aside” for this purpose. What is the role of a qualified inspector? Some septic installers and pumpers have received training in the inspection of existing systems, while others specialize in the installation of new septic systems or pump tanks, as appropriate. Certified maintenance providers may also have the qualifications of a qualified inspector. The goal is to find out what their credentials are in septic system assessments (as opposed to only septic tank evaluations), as well as to obtain some recommendations. Verify the credentials of the references before hiring a contractor.

Signs of septic system failure

  • Pools of water or wet places, unpleasant aromas, and/or dark gray or black soils in the vicinity of your drainfield are all signs that something is wrong. Water from the sewer overflows into the lowest drains in the home. The sound of drains gurgling and poor draining (first check for obstructions)
  • Soapy flows onto the ground surface, into ditches, or into surface waterways It is impossible to mow over the drainfield because the earth is too soft.

Installing a new system

In order to have a new septic system installed, a two-step procedure must be followed. 1. Submit an application for a site review. The tests pits you give on your property will be evaluated by a DEQ or county agent, who will decide the size and kind of septic system that will be required, as well as the placement. 2. Submit an application for a building permit. For application forms, contact your local DEQ office or county agent, or you can obtain DEQ application forms from this website. There is a cost for both the site appraisal and the issuance of the building permit.

Maintaining septic systems

By having your septic tank tested for solids accumulation on a regular basis, you may prevent having to pay for expensive repairs. When the solids buildup in your septic tank exceeds 40%, you should have it pumped by a pumper who is licensed by the DEQ. For advice on how often to get your septic tank examined, contact the Department of Environmental Quality. Maintaining the condition of your septic tank on a regular basis (every 5 to 7 years) and checking for solids accumulation will save you money on costly repairs.

If you follow the basic septic system DO’s and DON’Ts, a properly designed and maintained system may survive for a very long period.

Septic & Land Development

When developing land, it is critical for the developer, engineer, or homeowner to schedule a meeting with SWDH in order to explain the project in detail.

SWDH requires that you attend this pre-development meeting before proceeding with the formal application process. Download the Subdivision Application from our Document Repository, which may be found under the Land Development category. Contact208-455-5400.

After the Idaho Department of Environmental Quality (IDEQ) or a Qualified Licensed Professional Engineer (QLPE) has conducted the necessary reviews of the specifications, the SWDH works in collaboration with the IDEQ to release sanitary restrictions on platted subdivisions that are served by city water and city sewer. Please adhere to the Mylar Signature Checklist, which may be found in our Document Repository under Land Development. for subdivisions including municipal water and city sewage services.

  • The SER can be downloaded from our Document Repositoryunder Land Development.
  • Additionally, depending on the location of the subdivision, the size of the lots, and the density of residences, the SWDH may require a Nutrient Pathogen Study to be completed.
  • When developing property, it is critical for the developer/engineer to organize a meeting with SWDH in order to explain the project in more detail.
  • Download the Subdivision Application from our Document Repository, which may be found under the Land Development category.


Service Description Charges
Subdivision Engineering Report Application Fee $250.00
Cost Per Developable Lot $300.00
Subdivision Application – City Services (Requires DEQ Approval) $150.00
Central/LSAS $1,000 + $100 per 250 gpd
Pre-development site evaluation for commercial or engineered lots (includes multiple test holes and evaluation results) $850.00
Pre Development Meeting (Fee to apply toward SER application if within 12-months of pre-development meeting) $100.00

The developer, engineer, or homeowner must schedule a meeting with SWDH in order to discuss the project before any work begins on the land. SWDH mandates that this pre-development meeting take place before the official application procedure may be initiated. Download the Subdivision Application from our Document Repository, which may be found under the Land Development section. Contact208-455-5400. SWDH works in collaboration with the Idaho Department of Environmental Quality (IDEQ), releasing sanitary restrictions on platted subdivisions that have city water and city sewer only after IDEQ or the Qualified Licensed Professional Engineer (QLPE) has conducted the necessary reviews of the specifications and approved the restrictions for release.

  1. Prior to relieving sanitary limitations on a subdivision that makes use of individual wells and individual subsurface sewage disposal systems, the subdivision must submit a Subdivision Engineering Report (SER), which may be found in our Document Repository under Land Development.
  2. Additionally, depending on the location of the subdivision, the size of the lots, and the density of residences, the SWDH may require a Nutrient Pathogen Study to be conducted.
  3. When developing property, it is critical for the developer/engineer to organize a meeting with SWDH in order to explain the project in further detail.
  4. Download the Subdivision Application from our Document Repository, which may be found under the Land Development section.

Subsurface Sewage Disposal Systems

The Southwest District Health (SWDH) Environmental Health Services division, in collaboration with the Idaho Department of Environmental Quality, controls underground sewage disposal systems (IDEQ). If the developer or homeowner has any questions about the application or permitting process for a subsurface sewage disposal system, they should contact SWDH at (208) 455-5400. This is especially important because a subsurface sewage permit is usually required before a county building permit can be obtained.

Process/ How to Apply

SWDH must perform an on-site examination prior to issuing a permit for underground sewage disposal before the permit may be issued. The applicant must make arrangements for a backhoe to be brought in to dig a ten (10) foot test hole at the time of the examination.

When submitting an application, SWDH requires a legal description, zoning certificate, tax assessment notice, or property profile, among other things. It is possible to obtain your legal description by contacting the county or by consulting a tax notice.

How to Apply

Download the Subsurface Sewage Disposal Application (PDF) from our Document Repository, which may be found under Septic Systems. Please also include an 8″ x 10″ copy of the home floor plans, verifying the amount of bedrooms, if the house is being built from scratch.

Accessory Use

Accessory Use permissions from the county may be necessary before a building permit may be issued for the construction of an addition, shop, or other structure on a piece of property in certain circumstances. The proposed plan will be evaluated by an Environmental Health Specialist at the time of the Accessory Use Application to see if it will necessitate a modification to the existing subsurface sewage disposal system. The Accessory Use Approval Application and Plot Plan (both in PDF format) may be found in our Document Repositoryunder Septic Systems and can be downloaded.

Central Permitting: Frequently Asked Questions

In Central Permitting we are dedicated to providing the best customer service available. Use this questionanswer sheet to help guide you through the permit process. Instruction sheets are available on our webiste under InformationHow To. If you have further questions, please call Central Permitting at 910-893-7525 option 1.

  • What if I am building a house in Harnett County that has or requires a septic tank
  • What if I am building my house in Lillington, Angier, Coats, Dunn, or Erwin
  • What if I want to move a manufactured home in Harnett County
  • What if I want a septic system installed or inspected
  • What if I want County sewer or water
  • And what if I want to move a manufactured home in Harnett County?
Q What if I am building a house that has or needs a septic tank in Harnett County zoning? A A. I must complete a residential land use application and a septic check list application and bring it in with a proposed site plan and deed or offer to purchase.(seeResidentialLandUse Application under Central Permitting Applications) B. I must submit my building plans for review by the Building Codes Administrator.(see New Home Instruction Sheet under InformationHow To) C.

A A.

I must apply for a septic system inspection by submitting a proposed site plan to Central Permitting with the required letter/zoning permit and complete the necessary Municipalities Application.(see Application for Permits in Town Zoning under Central Permitting Applications).C.

I must get building permits from Angier, Dunn, Lillington or Erwin municipalities after obtaining my septic permit through Central Permitting.

A A.

I must apply for a Setup permit by bringing in my setup application completed by all of my contractors.(see Manufactured Home Setup Application).C.

If buying from an individual, I must provide a moving permit from the county the home is being moved from.

I must purchase permits for the home after everything is approved.

Q What if I want a septic system installed or inspected?

I must complete the residential land use application or the municipalities application and also complete a septic check list.(see Central Permitting Applications).B.

A A.

If I am in Angier, Dunn, Lillington, or Erwin zoning, take a copy of the plumbing permit from the town directly to Public Utilities to purchase the tap there.

I must complete a Harnett County Residential Water/Sewer User Agreement application and bring it in with a deed or offer to purchase and a copy of my drivers license to purchase the tap at Central Permitting if water is available to the parcel.

(seePublic Utilitiessection for application).

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *