How Long Does It Take To Get A Septic Tank Permit In? (Solved)

Once your application is confirmed as complete you should expect it to take at least 4 months to get a decision.

  • How long does it take to get a septic permit? Staff typically complete initial review and pre-site inspection for isolation distances and other requirements within 3-5 working days. Additional time may be required if revisions are necessary

How long does it take to get a discharge permit?

Decisions about your permit The Environment Agency will write to you to tell you whether or not they can allow what you’ve asked for. You will normally get a decision on your application within 4 months. The Environment Agency will tell you if your application will take longer.

Do I need permission to install a septic tank?

The short answer is yes. You will need planning permission from a local authority in order to have a septic tank installed, no matter if it’s at your own home or on a business site.

How do I get a septic permit in Texas?

How do I obtain a permit? Applications and planning materials must be submitted to the permitting authority. To find your permitting authority, search by the county the OSSF is to be located. The TCEQ regional office will be the permitting authority in locations where a local jurisdiction has not been authorized.

What are the general binding rules for septic tanks?

The general binding rules stipulate that where properties with septic tanks that discharge directly to surface water are sold, responsibility for the replacement or upgrade of the existing treatment system should be addressed between the buyer and seller as a condition of sale.

What is a discharge permit?

Wastewater Discharge Permit also known as the Permit refers to the legal. authorization granted by the Regional Office to discharge liquid waste and/or. pollutants of specified concentration and volume into any water or land.

Do I have to replace my septic tank by 2020?

Under the new rules, if you have a specific septic tank that discharges to surface water (river, stream, ditch, etc.) you are required to upgrade or replace your septic tank treatment system to a full sewage treatment plant by 2020, or when you sell a property, if it’s prior to this date.

Do I need planning to upgrade my septic tank?

No, once you have a plan in place get your estate agent to put the property on the market and keep them in the loop regarding the progress of planning for the septic tank. Interested buyers should be advised of the situation and full disclosure is recommended.

Is planning permission required to replace a septic tank?

Absolutely. However for the replacement system to meet the EPA CoP (and likely the planning conditions) the site must have been deemed suitable for a septic tank based on the Site Suitability Assessment results.

Can I install a septic system myself in Texas?

It is legal under Texas law to install your own septic tank. However, certain systems cannot be sold to property owners individually and must be sold to factory representatives. Exceptions to this rule are licensed electricians and the person who delivers the tank or septic system to the installation site.

How much land is needed for a septic system in Texas?

Yes, Texas State Law requires a ½-acre lot with a public water supply connection as a minimum. ANRA can issue a variance to this rule if all setbacks on the septic system design have been met. Requirements may vary by county.

How much is a septic system in Texas?

Installation of a septic system costs between $2,800 and $8,000 with an average of $5,000. Between $5,000 and $22,500 is the range for total expenses for well and septic system drilling and installation.

How long does a septic permit last in NC?

Well and septic permits are typically valid for five years from the date of issuance. If you would like to know the expiration date of a specific permit, please contact your local health department.

How long is a septic permit good for NC?

How long is a perc test valid? If a septic permit has been issued, the permit is good for 5 years.

Can I install my own septic system in NC?

QUESTION: Is a homeowner allowed to install his or her own system? ANSWER: A homeowner may install the system for a property that will used as his or her primary residence as long as the system is gravity fed, pipe and gravel system and is limited to two systems within a five year period.

Septic System Construction Permit

If an individual or a property owner want to have a subsurface sewage disposal (septic) system constructed on their land or if they need to repair an existing malfunctioning system, they must get a Septic System Construction Permit from the City of San Diego. Septic System Assistance Division County Map (Division Septic System Assistance County Map)

What Information Must I Provide?

Obtaining a Septic System Construction Permit is required by law for any individual or property owner who want to have a subsurface sewage disposal (septic) system constructed on their land or who needs to repair an existing malfunctioning system. Septic System Assistance County Map (Division Septic System Assistance).

  • Identify the landowner’s name and address, as well as the location or site’s size and number of occupants (including number of bedrooms), water consumption amounts, whether there is an excavated basement, whether there are basement plumbing fixtures, whether the house and lot have been staked, and the name of the installer (if any). Drawing showing the property boundaries, home site position, well location, spring location, planned roadway and utilities, and driving instructions to the site are included in this document. For large conventional or alternative systems, soil maps are created by a soil scientist (if necessary), and system design is completed by a licensed engineer.

*Please keep in mind that the Division suggests that you apply online in order to expedite the application processing. Paper applications, on the other hand, will continue to be accepted at the relevant Environmental Field Office. (CN-0971, Form CN-0971)

Helpful Lists:

  • The Division strongly encourages applicants to submit their applications online in order to expedite the processing of their documents. Paper applications, on the other hand, will continue to be accepted at the relevant Environmental Field Office. (CN-0971 is the official form.)

How Will My Application Be Processed?

Applicants should submit their completed application forms, along with the required application costs, to the Division of Water Resources at the relevant Environmental Field Office. The application is subjected to a thorough examination, and the applicant is notified when the examination is completed. The review procedure typically takes ten days, and it must be completed within 45 days of the day the application was submitted, unless an extension has been granted.

What Fees Are Required?

New Conventional or Large Diameter Gravelless Pipe SSDS Permit $400 up to 1000 gallons per day design flow$100 for each additional 1000 gpd flow
New Conventional or Large Diameter Gravelless Pipe SSDS Construction Inspection $100
New Alternative SSDS Permit $500 up to 1000 gallons per day design flow$150 for each additional 1000 gpd flow
Alternative SSDS Construction Inspection $200
Experimental SSDS Permit $500
Repair Permit No permit fee
Repair Construction Inspection $100

What Are My Rights and Responsibilities After the Permit is Approved?

The applicant has the authority to carry out the activities that were granted in the permission application. They are responsible for notifying the Department of any changes to the information in the application. The applicant is responsible for complying with any state legislation and regulations that may be applicable. A system’s installation must be reported to the Division by the applicant or installer of the SSDS so that it may be examined and certified as compliant. Applicants who have had their permits rejected, suspended, or cancelled have the opportunity to file an appeal with the appropriate authority.

What Are the Division’s Rights and Responsibilities After the Permit is Approved?

During each SSDS installation, the Division inspects the system to confirm that it was installed in line with the permit conditions and regulatory requirements. In the event that an applicant fails to comply with state legislation or departmental rules, the Division has the authority to revoke, suspend, or refuse the issue of a permit. Any individual who violates or fails to comply with state legislation, rules, or regulations may be susceptible to civil fines as a result of their actions.

Whom Do I Contact For Applications, Assistance and Other Information?

Applicants can acquire applications and information from the Environmental Field Office that is most convenient for them.

Applicants may refer to the following publications for further information:

  • TDEC Rule 0400-48-01: Regulations to Govern Subsurface Sewage Disposal Systems
  • TCA Section 68-221-401.414: Subsurface Sewage Disposal Systems
  • TDEC Rule 0400-48-01: Regulations to Govern Subsurface Sewage Disposal Systems

Frequently Asked Questions

How much does a permit set you back? District Health Department No. 2 provides a wide range of services for which licenses and fees are required. Any permit’s current cost may be determined by referring to the fee schedule on this page or contacting the District Health Department No. 2 office in your area. How long does it take to have a permit approved or denied? Site assessments will be done within eight (8) business days of receipt of the application and cost, in accordance with the rules of District Health Department No.

  • It is possible that this period will vary owing to a variety of reasons such as incomplete applications, the complexity of the project, the participation of other authorities, and harsh weather conditions.
  • What is the procedure for obtaining a “perc test?” A “perc test” is a broad phrase that refers to the soil assessment that is performed during a vacant land or septic permit site examination, among other things.
  • An individual must submit a completed application along with the required money to the health department, which will then conduct the site evaluation that has been requested by the individual.
  • Both forms of assessments are carried out in the same manner as one another.

The primary difference is that, if approved, a septic permit evaluation authorizes the construction of a sewage disposal system, provides specific construction specifications, and has an expiration date, whereas a well permit evaluation does not authorize the construction of a sewage disposal system.

Vacant land assessments do not have a set end date, and as a result, they are often performed in instances where the property is unlikely to be developed for a long length of time.

Important to note is that a vacant land evaluation approval does not imply authorization to construct a wastewater treatment system; rather, an application to construct a wastewater treatment system must be submitted and a construction permit issued before any wastewater treatment system construction can begin.

  • The seasonal high water table is the maximum level or elevation of groundwater at which the soil is flooded by groundwater during the regularly wet seasons of the year.
  • The inspection of soils, soil saturation, soil mottling (during dry seasons of the year), soil structure, historical records, technical data, or other verifiable data may be used to identify the seasonal high water table.
  • To ensure that new construction sites comply with current District Health Department No.
  • How can I keep my septic system in good working order?
  • Septic tanks should be opened and examined at least once a year, and excessive sludge or scum should be removed if necessary.
  • Aside from that, practicing water conservation is a wise decision.
  • Using the sewage disposal system to dispose of sump pump water, water softener recharge water, and storm water runoff is not recommended.

It is critical to repair leaky fittings as soon as possible.

It is important to note that septic tanks are the major source of treatment for residential sewage since they contain huge quantities of bacteria that are necessary for the treatment and breakdown of sewage wastes.

It is critical not to use excessive amounts of cleansers or disinfectants in the septic tank since they can interfere with the bacteriologic activities that occur in the tank.

Avoid using your waste disposal unit excessively since these units increase the quantity of particulates entering your system that are tough to break down and so should be avoided.

Is it possible for me to install my own septic system?

A final inspection by the health department must be performed prior to the system being used to ensure that it has been installed in accordance with the permit specifications and the requirements of the local sanitary code.

What if I require a copy of a permit for a system that is already in place?

Form for Making a Request

Obtaining a Septic System Permit

Once you have received approval for your soil evaluation, you can proceed to apply for your septic permit. Remember to carefully study the soil evaluation provided by our office in order to establish the unique needs for your location. In addition, for any new building development, you will need to secure the following permits:

  • Land use permits from your local township
  • Soil erosion permits from the Drain Commissioner
  • And driveway permits from the Road Commission are all examples of permits that you may need.
See also:  How Do You Find Out Where To Dig Up Septic Tank?

Once you have secured these permissions, you will be able to submit an application for a building permit. Further information can be obtained by contacting theLivingston County Building Department (LCBD). The Livingston County Building Department has permitting jurisdiction over the entire county, with the exception of Green Oak Township. If your construction project is located in Green Oak Township, please contact the township’s building department for further information.

How do I apply for my septic system permit?

Fill out and submit a permit application to the Livingston County Health Department – Environmental Health Division at 2300 E. Grand River, Suite 102, Howell, MI 48843, or call (517) 546-9858 for more information. The following information must be included in the application:

  1. Application form that has been completed
  2. For new development, documentation of permanent street address (tax bill, township address form, and so on) is required
  3. Package identification number with ten digits (Only for new construction) A verified survey and legal description (only for new construction)
  4. A copy of a detailed story outline
  5. And Fees that are reasonable

As soon as these papers are received, a Sanitarian will analyze them and either grant the permit or call you to seek more information within 3-5 business days. Permits will be mailed or picked up at your discretion after they have been issued. Permits that have been issued will be automatically forwarded to the municipality and the Building Official.

How long are my permits valid?

You have one year from the day that your sewage/well permit is obtained to finish the building of your structure. Following that, the permit must be rewritten, and a price must be charged. If any modifications are made that necessitate a site visit, an extra cost may be charged for the visit. What kind of inspections will be performed by Livingston County Environmental Health throughout the building of my septic system and how often? Your permit will include a schedule of inspections that you must adhere to.

  1. All inspections will be completed as soon as possible (usually within 24 hours, excluding weekends and holidays).
  2. The following are examples of typical inspections: Inspection of the Excavation: All drainfields must undergo an excavation examination before they may be used.
  3. In this examination, it is determined whether the drainfield’s size and placement are adequate, as well as whether proper soil conditions are present.
  4. For the homeowner’s records, the Sanitarian will create an as-built design of the drainfield site, which will be forwarded to them by the Sanitarian.
  5. Grading Inspection: Following the completion of the final inspection, it may be essential to conduct a final grading inspection to see if the septic tanks and drainfield are properly covered, as well as whether surface water is being channeled away from the system.
  6. Once all of these requirements are satisfied, the completed permit will be delivered to the relevant building department for review and approval.

In order to obtain further information, please contact: Area Sanitarian (based on your Township) Environmental Health Division of the County of Livingston The following are the rules, regulations, and procedures: Livingston County Sanitary Code, Minimum Requirements for Alternative Systems, and Minimum Requirements for Pressure Mounds are all examples of codes that apply in the county.

Getting a Permit for an On-Site Sewage Facility – Such as a Septic System

A permit is necessary for the construction, installation, alteration, extension, or repair of an On-site Sewage Facility, with a few exceptions as mentioned below (OSSF). Always double-check with your local permitting authority before proceeding. Local permitting programs may be more strict than those mandated by state law in some cases. Texas law provides allow for an OSSF to be excluded from permitting requirements if the OSSF meets the following criteria:

  • If the OSSF serves a single family residence on a tract of land that is 10 acres or larger, it is not a nuisance or a groundwater contaminant
  • All parts of the OSSF are at least 100 feet from the property line
  • The effluent is disposed of on the property
  • And, the single family residence is the only dwelling on the tract of land

It is not necessary to get a permit for emergency repairs (such as the replacement of tank lids, input and outlet devices, and the repair of solid lines), but they must be notified to the appropriate permitting body within 72 hours of the start of the repairs. Emergency repairs are specified in 30 TAC Subchapter D, Section 285.35 of the Texas Administrative Code. Even if a permit is not necessary, the OSSF must adhere to the state’s minimal requirements.

How Long Will the Permitting Process Take?

It is not necessary to get a permit for emergency repairs (such as the replacement of tank lids, inlet and outlet devices, and the repair of solid lines), but they must be notified to the appropriate permitting authorities within 72 hours of beginning the repairs. 30 TAC Subchapter D, Section 285.35, defines emergency repairs. It is necessary for the OSSF to fulfill basic state requirements even if a permit is not required.

  • The quality of the application that you submit is as follows: A large number of the applications we get are incomplete in some way. This always results in a request for further information from our end, which we always fulfill. Because the request and response cycle can occur many times throughout a single permit application procedure, it has the potential to extend the overall time it takes to issue a permit decision by days, weeks or even months. The fact that you submitted an incomplete application package does not guarantee you a spot in line, so to speak
  • The simplicity or complexity of the project, activity, or enterprise that has been granted approval
  • Concerns expressed by members of the community concerning the project, activity, or company
  • The fact that it is located in an environmentally sensitive location Staffing levels at the Department of Health and Human Services
  • Number of permit applications we get in a specific period of time

Planning Time Frames

According to the most recent data available, about 80% of new permit applications were completed in 2013 quicker than the time ranges given below. The time periods mentioned are in total calendar days and include the time it generally takes for applicants to furnish all of the required information to complete the application. For planning purposes, you may wish to base your expectations on the time ranges listed below, with a little extra time built in for contingencies. Keep in mind that the more thorough your application is when you submit it, the quicker the permission procedure will be completed.

  • Consultations with DHEC (and, if applicable, with your consultant, if you engage one) early in the planning phase can assist you in developing a realistic project time timeline for your project.
  • Chart can be printed or seen in a bigger format.
  • While the Department of Homeland Security and Emergency Management (DHEC) makes every effort to fulfill the time constraints for reviewing new permit applications set out in R.61-30, “Environmental Protections Fees,” events beyond DHEC’s control may cause delays.
  • DHEC

Need More Than One Permit?

You should speak with us as soon as possible if you will require more than one permission.

This is especially crucial if you will require several permits.

Permits, Licenses and Reports

We recommend that you speak with us as early in the process as possible if you will require more than one permit.

  • Step 1: Read and completely complete the Onsite Wastewater System Applicationand send it to your local Environmental Affairs Office. Step 2: An original plat or deed of the land will also be required to be submitted. If you do not have a copy of the plat or deed, you may learn more about how to get one by clicking here. The office will contact you as soon as your application has been received to confirm receipt of your application and to discuss electronic payment alternatives with you. We do not take cash as a form of payment. Please see this sample application, Onsite Wastewater System Application, for a reference guide on how to complete the application. Step 2: Your application will be examined to ensure that all required material has been submitted and is in order. If everything is in order, your application fee will be accepted
  • Otherwise, it will be rejected. Step 3:If a site visit is necessary, the inspector will assess the appropriateness of the property for the installation of a septic system. If the inspector finds that your site is suitable for a typical septic system, he or she will give you with a Permit to Construct document. The inspector will discuss possible solutions with you if the permit is not approved by the inspection team. A request for test pits may be made by the Department in circumstances where the evaluator meets a barrier during the first site evaluation or in cases where it is recognized that an area would require test pits owing to the soil characteristics of the region. The midlands and upstate parts of the state are the most typical locations where soil characteristics necessitate the use of test pits. It is important to note that test pits may not be an option in coastal and sandy locations around the state. Consult with your local office staff for more detailed information on your individual situation. As soon as you have received your Permit to Construct, you should call a professional onsite wastewater system contractor to complete the installation of your septic tank. In Step 5, the installer must call DHEC in order to schedule a time for the septic system to be inspected before it is covered, before completing the septic system installation. After waiting 30 minutes over the scheduled time for a DHEC inspector, a licensed installer has the option to conduct a self-inspection of the installation to ensure that everything is in working order. The installation is required to provide documentation to the Department on the DHEC-approved formD-3978, Contractor Approval to Operate

Expires and modifications to permits: Permits to Construct are valid for five years. If you want to renew your permission after five years, or if you want to make modifications to it after it has been authorized, you must submit a new application and pay the price once again. These regulations authorize the charge and permission in the following ways:

  • Regulation 61-56, Onsite Wastewater Systems
  • Regulation 61-55, Septic Tank Site Evaluation Fees
  • And Regulation 61-56, Onsite Wastewater Systems

Because improperly designed septic systems can degrade water quality and cause illness, South Carolina law mandates that all septic systems have site approvals and permits before they can be installed. If you want to construct a home or relocate a prefabricated home on land that is not served by a public or municipal sewer system, you must first seek clearance from the Department of Health and Human Services and a permit to install a septic system. You will be unable to obtain a building permit until you obtain this permit from your local government.

  • Depending on how saturated the soil is, we may not be able to conduct a thorough examination.
  • This is analogous to farmers being forced to postpone the planting or harvesting of their crops.
  • To submit an application for a septic system, you must first download and complete anonsite wastewater application, which you must then submit to your local Environmental Affairs Office.
  • If you have any questions, please contact the Environmental Affairs Office in your area for assistance.

Application Form

Complete the application for a License to Construct or Clean Onsite Wastewater Systems and Self-Contained Toilets by downloading and completing the form. Please contact your local Department of Health and Human Services Environmental Affairs office to make preparations for testing if you are interested in becoming a septic system installation.

License Fees

The following costs are required for onsite wastewater system installations, pumpers/haulers, and pumpers/haulers are required for yearly renewal:

  • Licensing fees for construction are $100, cleaning fees are $100, and a combined construction and cleaning fee is $150
  • A Master Contractor license is $200.

You must pay these costs on an annual basis in order to keep your license active.

An additional late fee will be levied if we do not receive payment by the due date on your invoice. Unless you pay your renewal costs and late fees within 90 days of the due date for your license to operate on septic systems or truck sewage, your license to do so will automatically expire.

Installer and Master Contractor Exams

In order to be approved to construct work with septic systems and/or wastewater disposal, as well as for a Master Contractor license, you must first pass an exam that assesses your knowledge of Regulation 61-56, which is available online. To pass, you must have an 80 percent or higher score. If you do not pass this test on the first try, you can repeat it within 30 days of failing. If you fail the test a second time, you can repeat it after 60 days if you have not passed the first time. You will not be required to retake the test once you have been granted a license, provided that you continue to pay the annual license renewal fees and submit all required documentation.

See also:  How Many Bathrooms Can You Have Witha 1000 Gallon Septic Tank? (Best solution)

Other License Requirements

  • Inspection of Vehicles: The Department of Health and Human Services has the authority to examine any vehicles used to pump and convey sewage. You must keep your vehicle inventory list up to current and on file with the Department of Health and Human Services
  • List of Disposal Facilities Is Required : This includes a list of sewage disposal facilities that you intend to use, together with documented approval from the facilities themselves. It is necessary to keep a record of your activities: You must keep a log (record) of each pumping and disposal load that is transported by each truck. You must make this record of actions accessible to the Department of Health and Human Services upon request.

The following regulations permit the issuance of septic system contractor licenses:

  • Regulation 61-56, Onsite Wastewater Systems
  • Regulation 61-56.1, Permit to Construct or Clean Onsite Sewage Treatment and Disposal Systems and Self-Contained Toilets
  • And Regulation 61-56, Onsite Wastewater Systems Licensing of Onsite Wastewater Systems Master Contractors (Regulation 61-56.2)


Septic Tank Alerts Septic Tank Alerts

Septic Permitting Process & Soil Percolation Test

After spending a couple of weeks on our property in a camper trailer and making a number of trips to the septic dump, we immediately recognized that constructing a septic system was swiftly rising up the list of things to accomplish on our property. We would, however, need to get a permit before we could have our septic system constructed by a licensed contractor. To be quite honest, we were apprehensive about applying for a septic permit. The county health department even came to our house to talk about why we needed a permit in the first place, and what would happen if we didn’t get one.

The entire reason we chose to live in the region we did was because there were no construction rules in place and the requirement for permits looked to be minor in the grand scheme of things.

Further discussion of our viewpoints on this issue will be covered in a subsequent blog article.

As a result, we made the decision to apply for the permission.

Why get a septic permit?

Essentially, the concept is that if everyone constructs their septic systems “according to code,” then we should all be preserving the health of ourselves and others while also safeguarding the environment, not to mention safeguarding our water supply. While we were hesitant to obtain a septic permission (back in the day, around 80% of folks up here did not obtain permits for their septic systems), the following are the reasons why one should obtain a septic permit:

  • This is based on the premise that if everyone constructs their septic systems “to code,” we should all be safeguarding the health of ourselves and others, as well as the environment, and this includes protecting our drinking water supply. Despite the fact that we were reluctant to obtain a septic permission (back in the day, over 80% of those living up here did not obtain licenses for their septic systems), there are several reasons why one should do so.

The Process of Installing a Septic System

While the procedure may differ slightly from state to state or county to county, the following is an outline of what we went through during the process.

1. Apply for a permit.

The application for a permission was the first stage in the procedure. We live in the state of Idaho, and in the county where we live, the process is rather basic. We were required to complete an application that included questions about our land, zoning, family size, home size, and other pertinent information. We completed and submitted the application, as well as paid the $860 application cost.

2. Percolation test by the state / county.

Our application was received and the inspector came out to do a site evaluation and soil percolation test as a result of it. In order to identify the soil composition, system size, and location where you desire to install your system, you must first do a soil analysis. The inspector wants to know how fast and efficiently your drain field will leach and cleanse itself so that he may make recommendations. You will need to dig a couple of distinct 8-foot-deep holes for the inspector in order to do this.

  1. Don’t make the same error we did: make sure you dig your holes when the inspector is on the premises!
  2. The reason for this is because the soil composition may alter dramatically in a relatively short amount of time and space.
  3. The second hole suggested that we should have a leach field that spanned a significantly larger area than we would have needed if we were working with soil that was predominantly composed of sand as the primary constituent.
  4. This test will also look for water inside the soil, the distance between any standing water, such as a stream, the distance between property boundaries, the distance between steep slopes, the distance between your current residence or prospective residence, and other things of that kind.
  5. They’ll also need to locate a substitute spot for the leach field that’s next to the original intended leach field, which will take time.
  6. Our inspector also recommended that we not allow cattle to cross the septic system and that we put our garden at least 6 feet away from the system, but preferably 25 feet away to be completely safe.

As soon as the inspector concluded her job, we were assured that we would receive our permission immediately, which will be forwarded to us through email.

3. Permit is issued.

If everything appears to be in order, your permission will be given. In Idaho, you have one year to complete the installation of your septic system, or you will be required to pay a permit renewal charge. It is necessary to renew for your septic system permit if you have not installed your system within five years. We will present our permission to the septic installation and then step back and let them to do their task. In Idaho, it is permissible for us to conduct the work ourselves, and we may opt to do so on our next property as well.

Our primary emphasis is on constructing an appropriate living environment that will keep us dry and comfortable over the next winter months.

4. Final inspection.

An inspector will come out to your home once more after your septic system has been installed to conduct a final examination while the system is still visible. This is done to confirm that everything is correctly configured. If you have a drain field that is longer than it is elevated, even a minor elevation shift might cause early failure. The importance of this last assessment cannot be overstated. If there are any issues, it is preferable to discover them before the tank is backfilled than than after!

According to the image, this is what a conventional septic system looks like, and this is what our system will look like as well.

Our Septic System Specifications

We informed the inspector everything we planned to do with the land because we wanted a septic system that would be able to allow future expansion. Alternatively, because we anticipate that we will not begin construction on our main home for at least 3-5 years, we do not want to spend a fortune on an elaborate septic system that will serve the entire planned farm! We weren’t aware of the situation at the moment, but we were eager to learn about our possibilities. We decided that we’d like to install everything ourselves rather than paying a little more to have the installer come out a second time, so we purchased the complete package.

  • We informed the inspector that we intend to build two dwellings: a barn with one bedroom and one bathroom and, maybe, a home with two bedrooms and two bathrooms.
  • This means that we’d need a special tank that holds 1900 gallons or 2000 gallons because 1900 gallon tanks aren’t available on the market right now.
  • “WHAT?!?” said our installer.
  • I mean, there’s only the two of you, right?
  • We don’t intend to have both the barn and the home inhabited at the same time in the near future.
  • In the event that we ever get around to building our house (we are hopeful, but you never know what may happen), we won’t have children for a long, so our septic system would be an unnecessary over-commitment.
  • However, we are concerned whether the permission may be amended to allow for the installation of a reasonably-sized wastewater treatment system for only the two of us.
  • This is one of the reasons we didn’t want to acquire a permit in the first place: it’s a pain in the a** to deal with.
  • We could be interested in using $2-$3,000 for a cistern or other improvements to the site.

I suppose we’ll have to wait and see what happens with the permission. According to the most recent update, our installer may have received some encouraging news after discussing our case with the inspector. Another good reason to having a seasoned professional on your team.

Our Plans After Our Septic System is Installed

Hopefully, we will have our septic system built within a couple of weeks. At that point, we will connect our trailer to the septic system, eliminating the need to haul it to the RV dump every time we use it. This is something we are quite excited about. Our water will still be inadequate for the foreseeable future, but we do have 5 gallon tanks that we can use to store water, which is much more convenient than dragging the trailer into town. In order to do this, we will need to rent an excavator once again and dig a few tiny trenches in which to run piping.

Final Thoughts

To say that this procedure has been intriguing thus far would be an understatement. Although it appears that we will have spent thousands of dollars to complete the project, we will have ownership of the finished product, which should last a lifetime and at the very least will not be reliant on the power grid. As for the permission, we’re not sure if we’ll be sorry we went through with it or not. This property is serving as a stepping stone for us, and we have no expectation that it will become our permanent residence.

  • Education is incomparably valuable to us.
  • Simply having the experience would be priceless.
  • Keep an eye out for further information!
  • Do you have any helpful hints or anecdotes concerning the permission process?
  • Did you find this post to be interesting?
  • We put forth a lot of effort to ensure that you receive the finest material available.
  • The following two tabs alter the content of the section below.
  • While I’ve done corporate jobs to make ends meet and move ahead a little, it didn’t make me happy or inspire confidence in my own abilities or future.
  • What this blog is all about is me finally figuring out what I want in life and how to get there, and that is what this blog is all about.

Onsite Sewage FAQ – Permitting

What is the process for obtaining a building permit for a septic tank system or other onsite sewage treatment and disposal system (OSTDS)? Septic tank permits are issued by the Environmental Health Section of the Florida Department of Health’s local county health department offices, which are located in each county. Please keep in mind that many counties have local rules that may go beyond the standards of the state for OSTDS compliance. What is the procedure for submitting an application for a permit?

Click here to download and complete an Application Form (DH4015, page 1) It is necessary to do a Site Evaluation (DH4015, page 3) in order to establish the circumstances on your land, and it must be done by a trained specialist.

In addition, the total permitting price will be determined by your county health department based on the type of system that is required for your property and the services that you want they execute.

Standards for Septic Tanks Section 381.0065 of the Florida Statutes (F.S.) and Chapter 62-6 of the Florida Administrative Code (F.A.C.) contain standards for septic tank systems and other OSTDS.

Questions of a general nature If you have any general inquiries concerning septic tanks or other OSTDS permits, you should contact your local county health department for further information.

On Site Sewage System, Large, Operating Permit

The Department of Health (DOH) examines engineering plans, design and construction documentation, as well as the installation of on-site sewage systems that treat residential-strength sewage with a peak daily flow ranging from 3,500 to 100,000 gallons at any common point in the system’s design. When a large on-site sewage system (LOSS) is employed, the Department of Health and Human Services (DOH) grants permissions and yearly operating licences to guarantee that sewage is adequately treated and that public health and the environment are maintained over the long term.

  • Treatment takes place in a septic tank or similar type of treatment system, as well as in the subsurface drainfield, if applicable.
  • Construction submittals and design submittals must be prepared by a registered professional engineer who holds a valid license under Chapter 18.43 RCW.
  • Permits and reviews for other related activities For minor systems (with a peak daily flow of less than 3,500 gallons), the local health body in the county where the property is situated evaluates and approves the proposed treatment system before it is built.
  • For sludge utilization initiatives, it is the responsibility of local health authorities to assess and provide approval.
See also:  How Deep Are Septic Tank Lines? (Perfect answer)

Ecology regulates and issues permits for on-site sewage systems that discharge directly to surface water, as well as systems that discharge to groundwater through a drainfield in situations where groundwater is in hydraulic continuity with surface water, according to the Environmental Protection Agency.

Who Issues this Permit?

For on-site sewage systems that treat residential-strength sewage with peak daily flows ranging from 3,500 to 100,000 gallons at any common point, the Department of Health (DOH) examines engineering plans, design and construction documentation, and installation. Using a large on-site sewage system (LOSS), the Department of Health and Human Services (DOH) gives permissions and yearly operating licences to guarantee that sewage is adequately treated and that the public health and the environment are safeguarded throughout time.

  • A septic tank or similar treatment system, as well as a subsurface drainfield, are used to treat the waste water.
  • Design and construction submittals must be completed by a registered professional engineer who holds a valid license under Chapter 18.43 of the Revised Code of Washington.
  • Permits and other approvals that are relevant For minor systems (with a peak daily flow of less than 3,500 gallons), the local health body in the county where the property is situated evaluates and approves the system.
  • Review and approval of sludge utilization initiatives are the responsibility of local health authorities.

Ecology regulates and issues permits for on-site sewage systems that discharge directly to surface water as well as systems that discharge to groundwater through a drainfield in situations where groundwater is in hydraulic continuity with surface water.

What Activities Require this Permit?

An operating permit is needed for installation and operation of LOSS to treat residential-strength sewage through septic tanks or other treatment processes and distribution through drainfields where there is a peak daily flow, at any common location, between 3,500 and 100,000 gallons per day.

How Much Will this Permit Cost?

There are payments associated with this permit, including project and permitting fees. It is possible to get a pricing schedule by calling WAC 246-272-3000.

Do I Need to Include Anything with my Application?

To submit a project review submission form for a new LOSS, it is necessary to include a check for $800, which serves as the first review cost. On the basis of the department’s design flow approval, the owner of a planned new LOSS must submit the first operating permit fee in order to begin operations. The applications must be accompanied by the yearly operating permit fee as well as the renewal charge. The Department of Health and Human Services will determine the permit price for an existing LOSS that has not previously obtained a DOH permit based on the information provided in the application and will pay the system owner.

Is the Decision on my Permit Dependent on Anything Besides the Information in my Application?

The operating permission for a new LOSS will not be provided until the design and specifications have been evaluated and approved by the city. The permit requirements will be based on the LOSS regulation, which is found in Chapter 246-272B WAC, and will be designed to safeguard public safety and the environment. Demonstration of compatibility with local government planning is one of the requirements for project submission. Due to the fact that excavation will take place, the project may additionally need to comply with the regulations of the Department of Archaeological and Historic Preservation.

How Long Will it Take to Review my Application?

Within 30 days after receipt of a completed operating permit application and all associated payments, the permit will be issued.

Where do I Submit my Application?

Each and every application for an operating permit:LOSS Program The Washington State Department of Health is located at PO Box 47824 in Olympia, Washington 98504. Projects on the Westside: The Loss of Sight Program Washington State Department of Health PO Box 47824 Olympia, WA 98504-7824 Washington State Department of Health Eastside The Loss of Sight Program is being run by the Washington State Department of Health, which is located at 16201 East Indiana Avenue, Suite 1500 in Spokane Valley.

How Long is my Permit Valid?

The operating permission for LOSS is valid for one year from the date of issuance and must be renewed on an annual basis. The approval to construct or alter a LOSS is valid for two years from the date of grant. If it expires prior to the start of construction, all procedural approvals, as well as the operating permit, are null and invalid.

Before the initial permission expires, the owner may file a written request for a single extension of up to two years before the approval expires. The operating permit for pre-construction activities is valid for one year and must be renewed on an annual basis.

What is the Appeal Process for the Permit?

An application or permit holder who disagrees with a departmental decision involving a permit, certificate, approval, or fine may submit a written request to the Department of Health and Human Services (DOH) for an adjudication. Third parties that are dissatisfied with permission decisions for a LOSS with a peak daily flow greater than 14,500 gallons may also make a written request for an adjudicative process with the appropriate regulatory authority. An adjudicative procedure of this nature will be in accordance with Chapter 34.05 RCW.

Notes / Comments:

Application Information:The “Project Submittal Form,” which is required for project evaluation and approval for a new LOSS and is available online at LOSS project submission form for large on-site sewage system (LOSS) construction (Word). The application for an existing LOSS that does not have a prior DOH operating permission will be delivered to the owner by the Department of Health and Human Services. To acquire the form, you must contact the LOSS program.

The application for the first permit is not necessary until the Department of Health and Human Services (DOH) has approved all of the requisite project submittals.

Contact the Department of Health and Human Services’ Office of Environmental Health and Safety, Wastewater Management Section, at (360) 236-3382 or [email protected] for additional information about wastewater management.

Permit Timeliness Results

The data collection on permit timeliness is being done in response to aState Auditor’s Performance Audit andRCW 43.42A. Each regulatory agency devised a strategy to increase the clarity, predictability, and timeliness of permit approvals. Each agency takes into account the user’s experience to ensure that permit help is simple to use, convenient to obtain, and developed in a customer-friendly manner for the benefit of the consumer. The Governor’s Office for Regulatory Innovation and Assistance requests that agencies report their progress (ORIA).

See the most recent report here:.

The following are the outcomes of the performance data analysis: Application for a permit is expected to take the agency an estimated amount of time to process (Definition) The average number of days it takes from receipt to completion is 2 days.

An estimate of the amount of time the agency will take to issue a permit decision (Definition) The average number of days it takes from the time an application is completed to the time a decision is made is 6.

The maximum number of days that can elapse between the completion of the application and the decision is 25. (Based on 350 submissions in 2020, these are the preliminary findings.)

Where can I get permitting assistance?

Phone numbers for customer service include: Tumwater (360-236-3382), Spokane (509-329-2100), or 1-800-525-0127 (for TTY users, dial 711).

Statewide Contact:
Department of Health Division of Environmental Public Health Wastewater Management Section 243 Israel Rd SE Tumwater WA 98501 PO Box 47824, Olympia, WA 98504-7824 Telephone: (360) 236-3382 Email:[email protected]: Permit information last updated 2/25/2021

Frequently Asked Questions – Onsite Wastewate Arkansas Department of Health

Q: Can you tell me where I can acquire a copy of my septic tank permit? Answer: Contact the local health department in the county where the property is situated and ask to speak with the Onsite Environmental Specialist (on site environmental specialist). Having information on the home’s construction date, the subdivision namelot number, and the name of the original owner or developer will be helpful. Local Health Units (LHUs): Q: What is the smallest lot size that can accommodate a septic system?

When it comes to how much space a sewage system needs, it all comes down to the soil appropriateness of the site, the number of bedrooms in the house, and the distance of 100 feet between the house and water wells.

Q: How do I go about obtaining a septic system permit?

A list of private persons in your region who are licensed to do soil testing and design sewage systems will be provided to you by the authorities.

  • Answer: You may do a search of our database of Onsite Wastewater Licensees by visiting this link. For example, if you are searching for someone to design a septic system, you will need to pick the “Designated Representative” licensing type, however if you are looking for someone to build a septic system, you will need to select the “Advanced Septic Installer” license type.

Q: Can you tell me where I can get a list of companies who install septic systems? Answer: Contact the local health department in the county where the property is situated and ask to speak with the Onsite Environmental Specialist (on site environmental specialist). Local Health Units (LHUs): Q: What is the process for obtaining a Designated Representative License? Answer: Designated Representatives are defined and listed in Act 402 of 1977, which establishes and provides the requirements for Designated Representatives.

Case-by-case consideration is given to those who are similarly competent in terms of education and experience in the field of soil science.

The dates for the examination tests may be found on the Training and Examination website.

See On-Site Wastewater Rules and Regulations Q: What is the process for obtaining a Septic Tank Installer License?

The test is performed 10 times a year, from January to October, at a fixed time and location.

The dates for the examination tests may be found on the Training and Examination website.

Answer: Under the terms of Act 402 of 1977, applicants for onsite maintenance provider licenses must pass a licensing examination sponsored by the Department of Transportation.

The test is performed 10 times a year, from January to October, at a fixed time and location.

The dates for the examination tests may be found on the Training and Examination website.

Answer: Individuals or businesses interested in manufacturing and/or distributing septic tanks in Arkansas can acquire information on the requirements and pre-licensing inspections by calling the Onsite Waste Program at the phone number mentioned below for further information.

Q: How do I go about obtaining a Septic Tank Cleaning Permit?

Act 71 of 1973 mandates that septic tank cleaning candidates must pass a license examination held by the Department before being granted a permit to work in the industry.

The examination is free of charge.

See the Onsite Wastewater Rules for further information.

Refer to the Engineering Subdivision Plan Review Guidelines for further information.

Answer: Refer to the Guidelines for the Submission of Plans for Mobile Home and Recreational Vehicle Parks for further information.

Non-Individual Sewage System is the correct answer.

Answer: Contact the Regional Health Office and ask to speak with the Regional Director.

Answer: The percolation test is simply an approximate measure of a soil’s capacity to flow water through its structure.

As a consequence of this extra knowledge, a sewage system design is developed that overcomes the limits of the soil.

Answer: In order to qualify for the exemption, the home must be located on ten or more acres, and all portions of the sewage system must be more than 200 feet from any property border or road, including any roadways.

The property owner is still responsible for ensuring that the sewage system is installed and operated in a way that complies with state regulations and does not create a nuisance.

A letter from the local Health Unit certifying that the property is exempt from the permit requirement can be acquired by contacting them. This exception does not apply to any other state or federal restrictions that may be in place.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *