How To Get Septic Tank License In Wv? (Correct answer)

Applicant must be at least 18 years old. Applicant must take a written examination and receive a passing grade of at least 70%. Oral examinations are available on request. Examinations are administered at the Central Office in Charleston and at the District Offices.

  • An application must be submitted to the local Department of Health. Plans, specifications and layout of the septic system must be included in the application, as well as the results from percolation tests. Applications and permit requirements are available through the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources.

Can a homeowner install a septic system in WV?

Regulations for New Septic Systems Before installing a new septic system, a contractor or homeowner must obtain a permit. An application must be submitted to the local Department of Health. Applications and permit requirements are available through the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources.

How long is a perc test good for in WV?

These certifications are valid for five years.

What are the new septic tank regulations?

Under the new rules, if you have a specific septic tank that discharges to surface water (river, stream, ditch, etc.) you are required to upgrade or replace your septic tank treatment system to a full sewage treatment plant by 2020, or when you sell a property, if it’s prior to this date.

How do I become a certified septic system in Virginia?

Candidates must submit a Virginia Onsite Sewage Installer License application to the DPOR. The application form can be found at All license requirements must be completed and approved by DPOR prior to registering or taking the exam.

Can you build an outhouse in WV?

Are Outhouses Legal in West Virginia? Outhouses are legal in West Virginia.

How much does a perc test cost in WV?

Perc testing typically costs $750 to $1,850 or $1,300 on average. On the high end, you might pay as much as $3,000 depending on local regulation and the size of the leach field or infiltration basin needed.

How do I get a perk test in WV?

Perform the actual test – Fill the hole with water to a level 12 inches above the gravel; then time how long it takes for the water to fall to a level 6 inches above the gravel. Some authorities require you to perform this test three times on each hole, and even if yours doesn’t, it’s a good idea to do it anyway.

Are septic tank locations public record?

Contact your local health department for public records. These permits should come with a diagram of the location where the septic system is buried. Depending on the age of your septic system, you may be able to find information regarding the location of your septic system by making a public records request.

Do I need a certificate for a septic tank?

The General Binding Rules were designed to simplify the regulation of small sewage discharges. Septic tanks and small sewage treatment plants no longer need to be registered and there is no legal requirement to keep records of maintenance (although this is advisable).

Do I need permission for a septic tank?

The short answer is yes. You will need planning permission from a local authority in order to have a septic tank installed, no matter if it’s at your own home or on a business site.

How far should a septic tank be from a house?

Most importantly, a septic tank must be at least seven metres from a house, defined as a ‘habitable property’. Septic tanks are built underground and release wastewater slowly into the surrounding environment. For this reason, they must be a set distance away from a home.

Can I install my own septic system in Virginia?

Q: Can I install my own septic system or well? A: No, you must use a licensed well or septic driller, or installer.

How To Become a Sewage System Installer in WV

The certification of individual sewage system installers is required by legislative rule 64 CSR 9, Sewer Systems, Sewage Treatment Systems, and Sewage Tank Cleaners, which is found in the Code of Virginia. An individual sewer system installer is defined as anybody who is involved in the construction, installation, modification, extension, alteration, and location of an individual or on-site sewer system, sewage tank, or excreta disposal system, as well as any other related activities. A certified installer is not required to oversee the installation of a part or parts of a system, nor is certification required of a driver delivering a part or parts of a system, or an employee of a contractor who has obtained certification, as long as that employee is under the direct supervision of a certified installer on the job site.

The installation of conventional soil absorption systems, soil absorption beds, holding tanks, effluent lift stations, and grey water soil absorption systems is covered by a Class Icertificate.

Initial Certification – Class I and Class II

Qualifications and Examinations for Class I Personnel

  1. Application must be submitted by a person who is at least 18 years old. The applicant must pass a written test with a passing mark of at least 70%. If you require an oral examination, you can schedule one at your convenience. Exams are conducted in the Central Office in Charleston as well as at the District Offices around the state. A $150.00 charge is required for the five-year certification. The sole exception to this rule is tests provided following a classroom training experience in which the examination is included in the course. When you come in for your examination, you must pay the fee in full. Payable to the West Virginia Bureau of Public Health, your check or money order should be made out to them. There is no acceptance of cash, debit, or credit cards

Applicants who fail a test must wait thirty (30) days before being re-examined for the test. If the applicant does not pass the examination and chooses to end the application for certification procedure, the $150.00 money will be reimbursed to him or her. Applicant Who Has Been Accepted Successful candidates will be sent a wallet-size certificate in the mail, and their names will be entered into the Public Health Sanitation Division’s Online Sewage Installers Database, which is accessible online.

  • Class II (Secondary) Only a qualified Class I installer is eligible to seek for certification as a Class II installation.
  • When a Class I installer passes the Class II examination, his or her Class I certificate will be upgraded to a Class II certificate, with no change in the expiration date of the Class I certificate.
  • Except in the case where the expiration date of the Class Icertificate is fewer than sixty (60) days from the day the Class IIexamination was given, a new certificate will be granted, and a $150.00 fee will be charged.
  • Applicants who fail a test must wait thirty (30) days before being re-examined for the test.
  • The application for certification must be denied if the applicant employs one or more individuals who work in WestVirginia and the applicant is in default with unemployment or workers compensation benefits, as defined byLegislativeRule 96 CSR 1.

Defaulted employers can be found on the Internet at theBureau of EmploymentPrograms’web site.

Renewal of Certification – Class I and Class II

  1. Class I and Class II installers must submit anApplication for Renewal to the West Virginia Bureau of Public Health – Public Health Sanitation Division in order to renew their licenses. You may download a copy of the form by clicking here. The signature and recommendation for renewal of a Local Health Department Sanitarian in a county who is familiar with the individual’s work is required on the application. It is necessary to pay a $150.00 fee with the application in order to renew the certification for another five (5) year period. Payable to the West Virginia Bureau of Public Health, your check or money order should be made out to them. If you want to pay for your certification renewal online, you may do so by going here. Please keep in mind that you must submit a paper application in addition to completing the online form and making the payment.

In order to guarantee that you continue to receive Certification communications, please inform the Public Health Sanitation Division if your postal address changes.

Homeowners, Landowners Examination

An individual who intends to build their own sewer system is not needed to be certified as a Class I installer; nonetheless, they must pass a written examination proving understanding of the applicable regulations. The homeowner examination can be completed and graded at any local health department location. It is possible that a price will be charged to administer the examination. Make sure to check with your local health department before installing or making changes to any existing onsite sewage disposal system.

Sewage Program – Mid-Ohio Valley Health Department

Among the responsibilities of the MOVHD Sewage Program are the approval and inspection of on-site, subsurface sewage disposal areas. When the initiative began in July 1970, pipe and gravel systems were considered to be cutting-edge technology. In the previous 35 years, there has been a growth in the number of sewage disposal techniques. Furthermore, the research that underpins these disposal strategies has gotten increasingly particular and complex. The West Virginia Sewage Regulations contain a variety of criteria for properties wishing to install an on-site, subsurface sewage system.

  • Percolation tests, on the other hand, are necessary in all circumstances in order to evaluate the property.
  • The price for this exam is $50 per try, and we ask that you phone and notify the office assistant that you intend to take the exam at least one working day before you plan to take it.
  • It is possible to get the names and phone numbers of these folks on our website, SEWAGE SYSTEM INSTALLERS, by searching for them.
  • * The purpose of this test is to determine the ability of the earth to absorb water.
  • What is the proper way to do a perc test?* You will require four (4) test holes in the region where the planned installation will be located.
  • The following holes must be filled:
  • 6 to 8 inches in diameter and 24 inches in depth
  • Scrape the inside of the vehicle to remove any loose debris
  • Fill the hole with 2 inches of gritty sand or gravel
  • A nail 6″ above the sand or gravel should be driven into the walls

For a 4-hour period, fill the holes with water and keep the water level above the nail. After 4 hours, lower the water level to the nail (a total of 6 inches of water). Count the amount of time it takes for EACH hole to completely drain its 6″ of water* Record this information on the SS-182 Application Form *A 6 foot bore hole is an excavation to assess the depth to rock and water on relatively level ground* The hole is positioned in the center of the four perc test holes on relatively level ground.

  • Fill out the SS-182 Application Form with the results of your tests.
  • * Once completed, the SS-182 Application Form should be sent to the local health department office* for consideration.
  • The charge for a septic system permit is $100.
  • The amount for a subdivision permit, if one is required, is depending on the number of properties being considered for development.
  • What Should I Do If I Have a Question about Something?

The West Virginia Sewage Regulations also handle the issue of’subdivisions.’ Despite the fact that the term can have a variety of meanings depending on the context, the Sewage Regulations define a subdivision as follows: “A tract of land that has been divided into two (2) or more lots, tracts, parcels, plats, sites, areas, units, interests, or any other division for the purpose of dwelling or establishment development and includes the division of land by deed, metes and bounds description, lease, map, plat, or other instrument, or by act of construction.” The Sewage System Rules (64 CSR 9) govern the operation of sewage systems.

The date of implementation is May 1, 1998.

Furthermore, it is the “creator” of the lot(s) who is responsible for submitting an application to the health department for subdivision permission.

A number of amendments to the Sewage Regulations have been implemented in tandem with adjustments to the conditions for subdivision approval.

The following is an outline of the current MOVHD protocol, which is based on recommendations from the State Office of Environmental Health Services: PROCEDURE FOR MOVHD SUBDIVISION APPROVAL* Lots established before May 12, 1983 must be approved by the MOVHD.

  • If 2 acres are required, the original installation and replacement areas must be adequate. If the land is 2 acres, it must have an adequate 10,000 square foot reserve space for a conventional system.

The original installation and replacement area must be a minimum of 2 acres in size. The reserve space for the basic system must be at least 10,000 square feet if the land is two acres.

  • 2. If the land is 2 acres, it must contain an appropriate 10,000 square foot reserve space for either the conventional or alternate system. It is necessary to have an adequate 10,000 square foot reserve space for a conventional system on 2 acres.
See also:  How Do I Know When My Septic Tank Needs To Be Pumped? (Best solution)

* “Responsible Person” refers to the individual who “made” the lot (s)

  • It is your responsibility to get MOVHD Subdivision Approval.

* If the “Responsible Person” is not the current owner of the lot(s), the following steps must be taken:

  • To determine who is the “Responsible Person,” go back one (1) owner prior to the current owner. If this results in the identification of the “Responsible Person,” they must file the subdivision application. If this does not result in the production of the “Responsible Person,” then: Plus, the current owner is accountable for conducting research in order to find the “Responsible Person,” OR+ the current owner can be accepted as the “Responsible Person” pending approval
  • And

* If the “Responsible Person” is not the current owner and refuses to secure the necessary subdivision permission, the following will happen:

  • When gaining subdivision clearance, the current owner might be regarded as the “Responsible Person.”

In the event that the current owner is the true “Responsible Person,” and the current owner refuses to get the necessary approval:

  • There will be no Subdivision Approval granted
  • There will be no issuance of a Septic Tank Installation Permit

Based on perc tests, a six-foot hole, and the needed reserve space as of May 1983, these lot assessments were created. On or about December 31, 2005, the following subdivision of one (1) lot and two (2) acres was completed: * Beginning on January 1, 2006, any lots requiring Subdivision Approval will be required to pay the applicable charge. * * The present owner may install the system if the necessary examination is passed. * The Subdivision Fee Approval Schedule is available (as currently approved in the Fees for Permit Rule)

  • 1 – 5 lots are $62.50
  • 6 – 10 lots are $100.00
  • 11 – 18 lots are $10.00 per site (maximum)
  • 19 and up lots are $187.50
  • And 20 and up lots are $187.50.

If you have any concerns about the Subdivision Approval criteria or procedure, you should speak with the Sanitarian at your local health department office, which may be found here. Office hours are from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Additional resources are available at:

  • Septic and Onsite Wastewater Systems
  • National Environmental Services Center
  • West Virginia Department of Environmental Protection
  • West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources
  • Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

Septic Systems in West Virginia

The major choice for households without access to a public sewage system, and West Virginia, like many other Mid-Atlantic states, has a substantial proportion of inhabitants who utilize septic systems as their primary means of wastewater disposal. Because septic systems can produce pollution or sanitary problems if they are not properly designed or maintained, West Virginia has put in place rules and regulations to mitigate this risk as much as possible.

Regulation of Septic Systems / Septic Contractors in West Virginia

The WestVirginia Department of Health and Human Resources’ Public Health Sanitation Division is in charge of regulating septic systems and granting contractor licenses. Septic system designers and installers are licensed by the state, and they handle and issue permits for the construction and modification of septic systems. In West Virginia’sTitle 64, which is available online at the Public Health Sanitation Division’s website, the regulations and standards for septic tank construction and operation are laid out in great detail.

Licensure Requirements for Septic System Contractors

Installers of sewage systems are required to get a license from the Public Health Sanitation Division. In the state, there are around 1,500 sewage system installers who have received specialized training and certification. An test, for which the state provides yearly training seminars, is required of all licensed installers. The certification is valid for five years after the date of issue. Residents can choose from a list of certified installers provided by the state.

Regulations for New Septic Systems

A permit is required before any work on a new septic system can begin. A contractor or homeowner can request this permit online. An application must be made to the Department of Health in your community.

Applications must include the design, specifications, and layout of the septic system, together with the results of any percolation studies that have been performed. The West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources can provide you with information on application and permitting procedures.

How to File a Complaint

Numerous septic systems are either ignored or badly managed, creating major health dangers to residents of the surrounding area. Call the 24-hour West Virginia SpillRelease Hotline at 1-800-642-3074, or the National Response Center at 800-424-8802 if you have a complaint about a leaky septic system and want to file it. Please call the West Virginia Office of Waste Management at 304-926-0465 if you have any other complaints or issues.


Due to the fact that sanitary sewers are not accessible in all regions of the county, many inhabitants of Kanawha County have installed individual house sewage disposal systems. The KCHD’s personnel works tirelessly to ensure that sewage disposal systems are properly maintained and do not damage the purity of drinking and ground water. An evaluation of the soil on the site is required prior to the issuance of a sewage permit in order to establish whether or not the soil is suitable for the installation of a septic tank/soil absorption field sewage system.

  • In order to establish if a site is suitable for receiving wastewater discharge from a septic system, perk tests are carried out on it.
  • A meeting will be scheduled on the site to review the perc test and six foot hole, which will be conducted by a sanitarian.
  • Following the installation of the system, an examination is carried out to ensure that the system was correctly installed before the sewage system is covered.
  • Before a septic system may be certified on a lot that is not accessible to a public sewage system, the lot must be inspected and determined to be suitable for private sewage disposal before a septic system can be permitted.
  • Home aeration systems, low-pressure dosing systems, holding tanks, and re-circulating sand filters are examples of non-conventional wastewater treatment technologies.
  • In the case of new development on properties bigger than two acres, “alternative systems” may be explored.
  • All septic systems require adequate care and maintenance on a regular basis in order to optimize their useful life and avoid premature failure.

On the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources Public Health Sanitation website, you may find a list of class I and II certified septic installers.


  • The following are guidelines for evaluating water and sewage for home loan purposes: The West Virginia Department of Environmental Protection, the United States Environmental Protection Agency, the Small Flows Clearinghouse, and the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources are all resources.

West Virginia Septic System Installation

Home-Exterior Septic tanks are a cost-effective method of treating wastewater generated on a single homestead. Before a new home can be constructed in West Virginia, the septic system must be allowed, installed, and approved by the local government. If you currently own a home and want to put in a septic system, there are a few things you need do before breaking ground on the project. When the length of the sources is equal to zero, this.parentNode.removeChild(sources); otherwise, this.onerror = null; this.src = fallback; )(,, ‘, /public/images/logo-fallback.png’) ” loading=”lazy”> ” loading=”lazy”> The installation of a septic tank necessitates the use of heavy construction equipment.

Step 1

Select the septic tank capacity that is appropriate for your unique requirements. A daily design flow capacity of 1,000 gallons per day or less is required by state law in West Virginia, which is generally suitable for a residence with one to four bedrooms. Increase the capacity by 250 gallons for each additional bedroom in the house. Although the size of the drain field varies depending on factors such as topography, percolation, soil and rock conditions, a minimum of 300 to 400 square feet should be allocated for each bedroom in the house.

Step 2

Examine the size of your property. Installing a septic system on a property larger than 10,000 square feet is permissible if you acquired the land before July 1, 1970, and the deed was recorded before that date. If you acquire the land after that date, the land must be at least 20,000 square feet in size. If your lot is too small, but you feel it can still sustain the system you desire, you should request an exemption from the environmental director on your behalf.

Step 3

Decide on a location that meets municipal criteria for minimum safe distances from drinking water sources, streams and lakes as well as residential neighborhoods. There are two ways to measure distances – horizontally (across the ground) and vertically (the depth at which the septic tank and soil absorption system will be built). According to the United States Environmental Protection Agency, a distance of at least 50 feet should be maintained between wells and septic tanks.

Step 4

Percolation tests should be performed on the ground at your chosen location to ensure that the soil is capable of absorbing the wastewater discharged by the septic tank. It is required by the state of West Virginia that percolation tests be done by a certified person who can legally attest that the test findings are correct, thus it is best to employ a professional for this portion of the procedure.

Step 5

Check with your local health department or environmental health office to see if there are any differences between local and state health rules.

In many situations, local governments simply incorporate state rules into their own body of laws without making any changes to them or to the regulations. When you apply for a permit to build a septic tank system, find out how many copies of your designs must be submitted with your application.

Step 6

The location where the septic tank will be installed, as well as an outline of the soil absorption field, should be marked with small pegs and rope or ribbon. This will give you a better understanding of how much room the system will require and will assist you in avoiding installation issues. The layout will also be useful for measuring distances for the site plans, which will be created later.

Step 7

Detailed design of the proposed septic tank system should be created in the form of a drawing. Include measures such as the holding capacity of the septic tank and the size of the drain field, which is also known as a soil absorption system, in your report. Measure the distance between the residence and the proposed septic tank system and include these measures, as well as the depth at which the septic tank will be built, in your calculations. (See also Reference 2)

Step 8

Plan out and sketch a thorough layout of the planned septic tank system. Include measures such as the holding capacity of the septic tank and the proportions of the drain field, which is also known as a soil absorption system, in your plans. In addition to the distance between the residence and the planned septic tank system, you should consider the depth at which the septic tank is to be built in your calculations. 2 (Refer to the previous paragraph)

Step 9

Make use of earthmovers and any other heavy equipment necessary to dig a hole large enough to accommodate the size of the septic tank you intend to use. Meanwhile, construct the drain field and add gravel, pipes, and any other objects that are required for your individual circumstance. It is essential that the drain field be positioned such that no cars will ever pass over it and cause harm to the subterranean drainage system.

Sewage and Water

Individual Water Wells: In 2008, West Virginia established new legislation pertaining to individual water wells. A well driller in West Virginia is required to be licensed by the state. To drill a well, both homeowners and drillers must get permission from the local government. All wells must be constructed in accordance with the minimal Design Specifications. To get a list of Certified Well Drillers, please click here. please visit this site Water samples from particular water sources (wells, springs, and so on) can be collected and submitted to the West Virginia State lab for examination in order to identify whether or not coliforms are present in the water supply.

Well Disinfection Instructions may be found by clicking here.

Individual Onsite Sewage and Water Program

Individual Sewage Systems and the drilling of water wells are governed by laws and design requirements imposed by the West Virginia Department of Health.

The criteria have been designed in order to safeguard those members of the public who will rely on ground water sources for their drinking water needs. It is your responsibility as a homeowner to be aware of the following requirements: Individual Wastewater Treatment Systems:

  1. The State of West Virginia requires that a sewage system installer be accredited before working on a project. Permits are required for the installation of an Individual Sewage System by both homeowners and sewage system installers. An application for a septic permit must be submitted before any building permits may be awarded. The minimal design criteria for all Individual Sewage Systems must be met during the construction process.
See also:  How Far Does Shed.Have To Be.From Septic Tank?

To receive a list of Certified Sewage System Installers, please visit the following link. Do you want to learn more about becoming a West Virginia Certified Sewage System Installer? Simple Steps to Keeping Your Septic System in Good Condition Symptoms of a Failing Septic System that are commonly observed

Links and Forms for the Pendleton County WV Health Department

Visit this page to acquire a listing of Certified Sewage System Installers. How do you become a Certified Sewage System Installer in West Virginia? Tips for Keeping Your Septic System in Good Condition Signs of a Failing Septic System That You Should Look Out For

Food Information and Forms

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that 76 million cases of foodborne illness occur each year in the United States, with more than 300,000 people being hospitalized and 5,000 people dying as a result. Despite the fact that the United States has one of the safest food supplies in the world, the CDC estimates that 76 million cases of foodborne illness occur each year, with more than 300,000 being hospitalized and 5,000 people dying. For the most part, these five risk factors are responsible for foodborne illness outbreaks: improper hot/cold holding temperatures of potentially hazardous food, incorrect cooking temperatures of food, dirty and/or contaminated utensils and equipment, poor employee health and hygiene, and food from unsanitary sources, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

Food Worker Yearly Training

A food safety class is required by the Pendleton County Board of Health each year for all food workers in the county because of the potential health and safety risks associated with improper food operations. The class is held quarterly at various locations throughout the county by Health Department staff. For more information on the schedule, contact the Health Department. As an alternative to in-person training, online food safety courses are now permitted and are offered via TAP Series, an authorized online training series program.

  1. If you want additional information, please contact the Pendleton County Health Department.
  2. An annual food worker certification for Pendleton County may be obtained by visiting this website.
  3. More information may be obtained at the following link.
  4. Online access to this training course is accessible through State Food Safety at this URL.
  5. The examination required before certification, on the other hand, must be completed at a proctored venue rather than online.
  6. For further information, please contact the Health Department.
  7. The Food and Drug Administration of the United States runs a website that provides up-to-date information about food recalls, withdrawals, and safety alerts.
  8. The food regulation in West Virginia is 64 CSR 17, Food Establishments, which accepts the 2013 FDA Food Code by reference and is effective immediately.

The Bureau of Public Health has compiled a number of handouts that condense the most critical food safety information into a manageable manner. These include:

  • Cooking Temperatures and Holding Times for the SF-7A In order to prevent bacteria from multiplying rapidly, this presentation outlines temperature restrictions for potentially dangerous foods. Food-Contact Surface Materials, Cleaning Frequency, and SF-7BEquipment and Cleaning Frequency Guide This handout covers the regularity with which equipment should be cleaned and sanitized, as well as the items that should not be used in food preparation. Inspection Guide for the SF-7E Presented on this sheet is the Food Code in outline style, with chapters and subchapters labeled with specific code items

Food Establishment Plan Review, Form SF-35, must be completed by the health department if a new food facility is to be opened or an existing food establishment is to be completely remodeled. For more specific information on the design and construction of food establishments, please see the SF-35 Addendum. Obtain further information from the health department about other criteria for a new facility and to schedule an appointment with a representative to discuss your future plans. For those who are currently in charge of or operate a food establishment, as well as those who have purchased or leased an existing establishment and those who have constructed or remodeled one, the health department will require that you complete anSF-5, Application to Operate a Food Establishment, and return it along with the appropriate fee.

  • For the permit(s), costs are determined by the number of seats in the business, as well as the number of check-out counters (if any).
  • The permission provided to the establishment must be renewed on an annual basis, commencing on July 1, by submitting an application.
  • In Pendleton County, there are several options for Temporary Food Events to take place throughout the year.
  • In addition to this application, a $60 charge for a one-year (July to July) permission will be required in addition.
  • It is useful to know the SF-4 code since it might be beneficial while planning and preparing for an event.

Water Wells and Water Sample Information and Forms

Food Establishment Plan Review, Form SF-35, must be completed by the health department whenever a new food facility is to be opened or an existing food establishment is to be substantially remodeled. For more specific information on the design and construction of food establishments, please see the SF-35 Addendum (PDF file). Contact the health department to learn about any additional criteria for a new facility and to schedule an appointment to discuss your future plans with a health department representative.

  • A food facility may be required to hold either a Food Service permit or a Retail Store permit, but not both at the same time.
  • In order to find out what fees are required for your establishment, please contact the health department.
  • In connection with a single event or celebration, such as a fair, festival, or carnival, a temporary food service concession is defined as a food facility that runs at a fixed site for no more than 14 consecutive days in a row.
  • Complete the Temporary Food Application Form and deliver it to the health department prior to the temporary event if your group is interested in participating.

Manual on How to Run a Temporary Food Concession is available for download. It is vital to know what SF-4 is since it might be handy while planning and preparing for a special occasion. You might find some other valuable suggestions to keep in mind here.

Other Environmental Health Programs

In addition to the permit/inspection obligations and evaluation performed by local health departments, a number of other initiatives are incorporated. These programs are as follows:

  • Cross Connection and Backflow Prevention
  • Disaster Sanitation
  • Mobile Home Parks
  • Swimming pools
  • Tattoo Studios are just a few examples of the types of businesses that may be found in this category. Pasteurized milk supplies
  • Bottled water supplies
  • And other such items.

You may find more information about these programs, together with supporting paperwork and links to the Legislative Rules from which the programs are formed, at thePublic Health Sanitation website.

Class I and II Septic Certified

Certified as a Class 12 Septic System

Dodson Septic Services Installs Both Classes of Systems

Dodson Septic Services, LLC is a Class I and II septic licensed contractor based in Harpers Ferry, West Virginia, and serving the surrounding area and bordering states. Class I and Class II septic systems are the two types of septic systems that are available in West Virginia. Count on us to build the proper septic system for homeowners and landlords in Jefferson County, West Virginia, or Berkeley County, West Virginia, who require a septic system installation. Please contact us at (304) 725-9120 or (304) 671-2559 if you are interested in having a Class I or II septic system installed.

Looking Closer at Class I Septic Systems

In contrast to other types of septic systems, Class I systems are solely utilized to dispose of wastes that originate in the human body. The following are included in this classification: Toilets ChemicalComposting Incineration Recirculating Self-Contained PortablePrivies a pit in the ground, a barrel, and portable vaults

What Customers Should Know about Class II Septic Systems

Class II septic systems are used for the disposal of sewage waste from a single residence or building. Sewage is considered to be a type of home waste. Included in this category are trash and wastewater generated by showers, baths, laundry facilities, restrooms, and sinks. Grey water is the phrase that is commonly used in the business to describe this form of waste. Leaching pits are included in Class II septic systems. We at Dodson Septic Services understand that this might be a difficult subject to grasp.

If you have any concerns about portable toilet rental, please contact Dodson Septic Tank Cleaning at (304) 725-9120 or Cell: (304) 671-2559.

For Residents

Every day during the week, from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. to 3 p.m., the Marshall County Health Department offers the COVID-19 vaccination at the Marshall County Health Department.

Fees For Services

For services such as conducting evaluations on septic systems and wells for the purpose of obtaining financing; selling or purchasing property with an individual on-site sewage system or well; or for other requests that are not required to be covered by law, regulation, or the Marshall County Health Department free of charge, fees will be charged to offset the cost of providing such services to offset the cost of providing such services.

The fees for these services have been established in compliance with 64 CSR 51 and have been officially submitted with the County Clerk of Marshall County, as required by state law.

Payment of the fees is required at the time of the application for a home loan evaluation in order for the service to be initiated. The following are the fees:

  • Septic system evaluation costs $250.00, while a water well inspection costs $136.00.

Mobile Home Parking

  • Sewage Tank Cleaning Permit Application (PDF)
  • Application for Surface Discharge Permit (PDF)
  • Ground Water Protection and Your Septic System (PDF)
  • IndividualOnsite Septic System (PDF)
  • Installer Certification Renewal Application (PDF)
  • Septic System Ownership Brochure (PDF)
  • Sewage System Well Permit Application (PDF)
  • Sewage System Permit Application (PDF)
  • Sewage System Registration Form for DEP (DOC)
  • Sewage Tank Cleaning Permit Application (PDF)
  • Standards for Sewage Tank Cleaning

Associated Sites

Nuisance Investigation Report Form

A Report on a Nuisance Investigation From Using this form, you may make a request regarding a potential public health concern or annoyance. This form must be completed in its entirety, including the name and contact information of the person who is reporting the incident. This form must be completed; complaints that are not signed will not be considered.

Water Collection Protocol

For water samples collected from private wells, springs, or cisterns that are to be processed by the Office of Laboratory Services for bacteriological testing, a fee of $136 will be charged to the individual who requests them. This price will cover the cost of man-hours, mileage, and shipping expenses, among other things. In the case of a water collection request made in connection with the sale or purchase of a residence, this cost is not applicable. For pricing information, please see the Home Loan Evaluation charge schedule.) Fees are collected prior to service delivery, and a completed Water Analysis Request Form must be submitted with the fee collection.

  • In addition, the West Virginia Office of Laboratory Services levies a fee, which must be paid separately by check or money order made payable to WVOLS and sent with the water sample.
  • Samples will be collected from Monday through Wednesday in order to ensure that they get at the lab in a timely manner.
  • When a sample tests positive for coliform bacteria, e-coli, or both, the Marshall County Health Department will give advice on how to proceed with treatment if it is necessary.
  • If you need to get tested again, there will be an extra price.

Septic Systems and Wells

Residents of Monongalia County that do not have access to public sewage and/or public water rely on individual on-site sewage disposal (septic) systems and/or private water wells.Environmental Health helps protect the health of the citizens of Monongalia County by regulating the installation and functioning of all on-site waste water systems and by evaluating potential water well sites before the well is drilled.This helps to protect the ground water, streams and creeks, and prevent the spread of disease.Sanitarians work with certified on-site sewage system installers to ensure that a site has suitable soil, sufficient space for the system, and that there are no other issues with the site that would prevent a on-site sewage system from being installed.Sanitarians also work with well drillers to ensure that a site is suitable for a water well.
See also:  How To Restart Septic Tank After Power Outage? (TOP 5 Tips)

It is mandatory that all on-site sewage system installations be completed by a Certified On-site Sewage System Installer. The drilling and abandonment of all water wells must be carried out by a Certified Water Well Driller.

Onsite Sewage Systems

The process of establishing a new on-site sewage system, changing an existing on-site sewage system, or repairing a failing on-site sewage system begins with the selection of a qualified on-site sewage system installer. Installers of Certified Sewage Systems in West Virginia are listed on this page. As part of the installation process, a licensed installer will conduct a percolation test and examine the site to determine whether it is suitable for an on-site sewage system or modification, or whether it is necessary to repair an existing system.

  • The homeowner/property owner and/or a professional installer will complete an on-site sewage system application and submit it to the Health Department for review and consideration.
  • Once an application has been received, a Sanitarian will call the certified installer to plan a visit to the location of the proposed new system, modification, or repair to assess the situation.
  • A Construction Permit for the new system, modification, or repair will be provided by the Health Department once the Sanitarian has given his or her approval to the location.
  • During construction or repair, if the certified installer encounters any issues that require them to modify the plan that was approved by the Health Department, they must notify the Health Department before proceeding with the construction or repair.
  • A final examination of the system must be performed by the Health Department after construction or repair of the system has been completed, but before the system is covered up.

Upon completion of the system, the sanitarian will inspect it to ensure that it was built appropriately and in line with the authorized construction plan. Forms and information for Certified Installers that are not already available.

Existing System (Home Loan) Evaluations

In order to approve a mortgage or other financing for the purchase of a home with an on-site sewage system and/or water well, many banks and other lending institutions now require that the sewage system and/or water well be evaluated to ensure that the sewage system is functioning properly and/or that the water supply is safe. Beginning with the completion of an application for a house loan evaluation by the lender or an existing home owner, the procedure begins. Note: In order for a Sanitarian to do a House Loan Evaluation, the home must have been occupied for the previous 30 consecutive days and the septic tank must not have been emptied out during the previous 30 days.

The sanitarian will collect a sample of the water supply, which will be examined to ensure that there are no coliform bacteria present in it.

This is done in order to make it more obvious if any sewage is rising to the surface of the earth (which signals a sewage system failure) that it is occurring.

Upon confirmation by the Sanitarian that the sewage system is operating properly, the septic tank will need to be pumped out if it has not been done within the past three years, otherwise it will need to be replaced.

Water Wells

In order to approve a mortgage or other financing for the purchase of a home with an on-site sewage system and/or water well, many banks and other lending institutions now require that the sewage system and/or water well be evaluated to ensure that the sewage system is operating properly and/or that the water supply is safe. In order to begin, either the lender or the present house owner must complete an application for a loan assessment. Note: In order for a Sanitarian to do a House Loan Evaluation, the home must have been inhabited for the previous 30 days in a row and the septic tank must not have been emptied out within that time frame.

Water samples will be collected by the sanitarian and examined to ensure that there are no coliform bacteria present in the water supply system.

This is done in order to make it obvious if any sewage is rising to the surface of the earth (which would signal a sewage system failure).

It will be necessary to pump out the septic tank if it has not been done within the past three years, once the Sanitarian has checked that the sewage system is operating properly.

Sewage Removal Trucks

Monongalia County Commission administers the Wastewater Revolving Loan Fund, which provides low interest loans to individuals depending on their income to repair or replace failing on-site sewage systems that are in need of repair or replacement. Income Requirements (in effect from July 1, 2019 to June 30, 2020):

Family or Household Size Annual Monthly Weekly
1 $23,107 $1,926 $445
2 $31,284 $2,607 $602
3 $39,461 $3,289 $759
4 $47,638 $3,970 $917
5 $55,815 $4,652 $1,074
6 $63,992 $5,333 $1,231
7 $72,169 $6,015 $1,388
8 $80,346 $6,696 $1,546
Each Additional Member Add $8,177 $682 $158

Addressing Questions About Environmental Services

Current septic system approvals (“perc tests”) are still acceptable, or are residents needed to have new perc tests performed on their existing lots? When a permit application for a septic system is received, the Health Department will always conduct a site visit to inspect the system. This is true for both applications for new licenses and applications for renewals of already issued permits. Existing permissions are honored by the Health Department, and no new percolation test or observation hole is required until the following conditions are met:

  1. It is possible that something about the property has changed that would render the previous approval null and void, such as use of the previously approved drainfield area to bury stumps or debris, placement of a new well too close to the previously approved drainfield area, or the discovery of previously unknown facts, such as standing water in the drainfield area or observation pit, the discovery of significant rock outcrops in the drainfield area, or the discovery of previously undiscovered wells near the drainfield area, would render the previous approval nu

Every single property that previously had a septic system permit or whose drainfield area was stated on a recorded subdivision plat has been approved by the Jefferson County Health Department in the last year. The Jefferson County Health Department is pleased with this accomplishment. In certain circumstances, new permits have been issued in order to solve issues that arose during the permission renewal process. In these cases, the position of drainfields has been modified, or other treatment methods have been specified.

  1. The planned appeals procedure is governed by state statute, which sets the time periods.
  2. There is, however, nothing that prevents an appeal hearing from being scheduled before the conclusion of the time period required by state law, if the parties agree to do so.
  3. Similarly to the installation of new septic systems, the site and soil characteristics determine whether conventional or unconventional septic systems are required in accordance with applicable state legislation.
  4. States mandate that septic system repairs meet the same criteria as new septic systems unless the health hazard is “not correctable by techniques specified in the Sewage Treatment and Collection System Design Standards,” according to state laws.
  5. The Board of Health, acting under the authority granted to it by state statute, has imposed certain restrictions that are in excess of statutory law.

It was only in 2008 that the most current of these restrictions was enacted. The following are the additional requirements that were established by the Board of Health:

  1. Demand that septic tanks be drained within 12 months after the conclusion of a Home Loan Evaluation
  2. The development of new lots if the well or septic system is located outside of the lot’s boundaries should be prohibited. For lots established after November 1, 2008, septic reserve areas of at least 20,000 square feet must be provided, and all septic systems must be built by a West Virginia Certified Septic System Installer must be provided.

In Jefferson County, no additional regulations for septic systems are being imposed that are in addition to those set forth by the state. Are permit holders who have valid septic system construction permits being forced to postpone the installation of their systems? The construction of septic systems is prohibited during periods of heavy rain (and shortly thereafter), when the earth becomes saturated, according to the Health Department. Use of heavy machinery on a drainfield site when the soil is wet will result in compaction of the soil, deterioration of the soil’s natural structure, and a reduction in the soil’s ability to percolate water.

  • The number of properties where a permit for a septic system has been rejected has climbed by 200 percent in the last year, according to the latest data available.
  • In the recent year, however, less than 10 applications for septic systems have been declined.
  • According to the requirements of state regulations, the site and soil characteristics determine whether conventional or unconventional septic systems are necessary.
  • Is the Health Department refusing to undertake well and septic evaluations for those who want to buy a house?
  • Several private contractors also provide this service to the real estate industry on a contract basis.
  • Currently, it takes fewer than 10 days on average.
  • The reason for this is because if there is no regular wastewater flow into the septic system, it is unlikely that a faulty septic system will be detected during an examination by an HLE.

Installation of septic tanks, pump chambers, distribution boxes, and treatment units should be performed by a licensed professional who should also examine and rectify any problems that may have occurred.

Unless it has been pumped within the preceding twelve months, it is necessary to have the septic tank pumped.

Unless a residence has been continuously occupied for the last 30 days and dye can be flushed out of the plumbing system, the Health Department is particularly banned from conducting an HLE examination under state legislation.

A WV Certified Septic System Installer should be called in to check and repair the septic system after a house has been demolished, suggests the West Virginia Health Department.

Inspection of the drainfield lines should include probing them, looking via observation ports, placing a camera into the lines, or exposing sections of them to determine their condition.

A report on the findings of the septic system installation should be submitted to the Health Department for review.

The well driller should ensure that the water line from the well has been properly capped to prevent the entry of contaminants, and he or she should inspect the integrity of the well casing and grout, the pitless adaptor, and any pad surrounding the wellhead to ensure that it is in good working order.

To ensure that there are no pollution sources that are too close to the well, a sanitary survey should be carried out.

Once the reports from the well driller and septic installer have been obtained, a Health Department sanitarian will be able to write a letter to the building official (based on these two reports) indicating whether or not the existing well and septic system are safe and adequate for the construction of a new house.

Homeowners who wish to add bedrooms to their existing houses are required to submit a septic system application, according to state laws.

Prior to processing the septic system application, an inspection of the existing septic system will be performed in order to determine its condition and suitability for the job.

There may be no records at all for certain septic systems, which is understandable.

Wells are not need to be relocated unless they were drilled in the inappropriate location, according to the Health Department.

Because the well was located too near to the drainfield location, it was ultimately necessary to abandon the project.

The Jefferson County Health Department now includes a site drawing with each well permit, which specifies exactly where the well is to be dug as a result of these sorts of mistakes.

When a property owner wants to divide an existing lot into two or more lots, he or she may decide to abandon a well in order to make more space available for septic reserve areas and to increase the number of developable lots available for development.

Are households forced to wait months for septic permits and approvals to be issued?

One part-time employee, with occasional assistance from state sanitarians from Charleston, attempted to keep up with the workload in the septic program from May 2018 until February 2019.

In Jefferson County, there are currently three sanitarians that are fully trained and work full-time and are authorized to issue septic system licenses and approvals.

In accordance with state requirements, applications for septic systems must be handled within 21 business days.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *