How To Find Out If Permit Was Submited For Septic Tank Removal? (Perfect answer)

Typically, a septic system is permitted and inspected by your local permitting authority (i.e., local health or environmental department). You can contact these entities to obtain a copy of your property’s septic record drawing (the “as-built” design) and copies of the permit(s).

Where do I get a permit for a septic tank?

  • Permits for septic tank systems and other onsite sewage treatment and disposal systems are issued by the Environmental Health Section of the Florida Department of Health’s county offices (html). Please note that many counties have local ordinances that may exceed state requirements for onsite septic systems.

Are septic tank locations public record?

Contact your local health department for public records. These permits should come with a diagram of the location where the septic system is buried. Depending on the age of your septic system, you may be able to find information regarding the location of your septic system by making a public records request.

How long is a septic permit good for in NC?

If a septic permit has been issued, the permit is good for 5 years.

How long is a septic permit good for in PA?

A: All septic system permits are valid for three (3) years from date of issuance. However, if construction of the structure and system has not commenced within three (3) years, the permit will expire.

How long is a septic permit good for in Tennessee?

In addition, to obtain the license, the contractor must achieve a pass mark of at least 70% on a written or oral test issued by the Department. Once a permit is granted, it is only valid until the 31 December of the year it was issued.

How do I find out if my septic tank is registered?

Check if your septic tank is already registered You can check if your tank has already been registered by contacting your environmental regulator. If you are unsure then it is best to check and avoid making an unnecessary payment. The NIEA and SEPA have records of all registered septic tanks.

How do I find out where my septic tank is?

Follow the Main Sewer Line Look for a pipe that’s roughly four inches in diameter that leads away from your house. Remember the location of the sewer pipe and where the pipe leaves your home so you can find it outside. The sewer pipes will lead to where your septic tank is located.

What is a septic permit in NC?

The 2nd septic system permit is an application for a Construction Authorization (CA). Basically, this permit allows the septic system to be constructed and installed on the site. Many times this permit can be granted at the same time the IP is granted, but not always.

Can you expand a septic tank?

ENLARGING THE SYSTEM The increase from three to five bedrooms will require more septic tank capacity (usually 1.5 times), and that will involve replacing the current tank or adding an additional tank in series. The drainfield or other soil treatment component (mound, at-grade) will need to be enlarged by two-thirds.

Can I install my own septic system in NC?

QUESTION: Is a homeowner allowed to install his or her own system? ANSWER: A homeowner may install the system for a property that will used as his or her primary residence as long as the system is gravity fed, pipe and gravel system and is limited to two systems within a five year period.

Are septic holding tanks legal in PA?

Holding tanks will be permitted only with appropriate Pennsylvania DEP approval. Holding tanks will not be permitted if the site can be served by a conventional or alternative system designed to function as an on-lot septic system.

Do perc tests expire?

Also, perc test results expire after 2-5 years in most locations, so you may need to retest or pay a fee to update the results when you are ready to build.

Can you have a septic tank without a leach field?

The waste from most septic tanks flows to a soakaway system or a drainage field. If your septic tank doesn’t have a drainage field or soakaway system, the waste water will instead flow through a sealed pipe and empty straight into a ditch or a local water course.

Who pays for septic inspection in TN?

Additionally, you as a buyer may pay a fee to the Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation, Division of Ground Water Protection, for a septic inspection letter. This means that an onsite inspection will be done of the system but does not mean that they open up the tank.

Can a homeowner install his own septic system in Tennessee?

(1) No property owner or installer of a subsurface sewage disposal system shall construct, alter, extend, or repair subsurface sewage disposal systems within the State of Tennessee unless he holds a valid construction permit issued by the Commissioner.

Are plastic septic tanks legal in Tennessee?

Tennessee Septic Tanks Save up to 50% on plastic septic tanks. These septic tanks are state approved for use in the state of Tennessee.

Septic System Construction Permit

If an individual or a property owner want to have a subsurface sewage disposal (septic) system constructed on their land or if they need to repair an existing malfunctioning system, they must get a Septic System Construction Permit from the City of San Diego. Septic System Assistance Division County Map (Division Septic System Assistance County Map)

What Information Must I Provide?

Applicant’s information can be submitted using the web portal*, and it includes the following:

  • Identify the landowner’s name and address, as well as the location or site’s size and number of occupants (including number of bedrooms), water consumption amounts, whether there is an excavated basement, whether there are basement plumbing fixtures, whether the house and lot have been staked, and the name of the installer (if any). Drawing showing the property boundaries, home site position, well location, spring location, planned roadway and utilities, and driving instructions to the site are included in this document. For large conventional or alternative systems, soil maps are created by a soil scientist (if necessary), and system design is completed by a licensed engineer.

*Please keep in mind that the Division suggests that you apply online in order to expedite the application processing. Paper applications, on the other hand, will continue to be accepted at the relevant Environmental Field Office. (CN-0971, Form CN-0971)

Helpful Lists:

  • The Division of Water Resources is a division of the Department of Water Resources. CONSULTANTS APPROVED BY THE DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE
  • INACTIVE INSTALLERS- This list, grouped by county, covers those persons who have valid permits to construct, install, modify, or repair a septic system. It should be noted that installation permits are valid across the state, not only in the counties indicated. A separate permission may be required in contract counties such as Blount and Davidson counties as well as Hamilton and Jefferson counties as well as Knox and Madison counties as well as Shelby and Williamson counties. Individuals possessing valid licenses to remove (pump) household septage from septic tanks, holding tanks, portable toilets, or other similar sewage treatment or disposal facilities are listed on this page as “Active Pumpers.”

How Will My Application Be Processed?

Applicants should submit their completed application forms, along with the required application costs, to the Division of Water Resources at the relevant Environmental Field Office. The application is subjected to a thorough examination, and the applicant is notified when the examination is completed. The review procedure typically takes ten days, and it must be completed within 45 days of the day the application was submitted, unless an extension has been granted.

What Fees Are Required?

New Conventional or Large Diameter Gravelless Pipe SSDS Permit $400 up to 1000 gallons per day design flow$100 for each additional 1000 gpd flow
New Conventional or Large Diameter Gravelless Pipe SSDS Construction Inspection $100
New Alternative SSDS Permit $500 up to 1000 gallons per day design flow$150 for each additional 1000 gpd flow
Alternative SSDS Construction Inspection $200
Experimental SSDS Permit $500
Repair Permit No permit fee
Repair Construction Inspection $100

What Are My Rights and Responsibilities After the Permit is Approved?

The applicant has the authority to carry out the activities that were granted in the permission application. They are responsible for notifying the Department of any changes to the information in the application. The applicant is responsible for complying with any state legislation and regulations that may be applicable. A system’s installation must be reported to the Division by the applicant or installer of the SSDS so that it may be examined and certified as compliant. Applicants who have had their permits rejected, suspended, or cancelled have the opportunity to file an appeal with the appropriate authority.

What Are the Division’s Rights and Responsibilities After the Permit is Approved?

During each SSDS installation, the Division inspects the system to confirm that it was installed in line with the permit conditions and regulatory requirements. In the event that an applicant fails to comply with state legislation or departmental rules, the Division has the authority to revoke, suspend, or refuse the issue of a permit. Any individual who violates or fails to comply with state legislation, rules, or regulations may be susceptible to civil fines as a result of their actions.

Whom Do I Contact For Applications, Assistance and Other Information?

Applicants can acquire applications and information from the Environmental Field Office that is most convenient for them.

Applicants may refer to the following publications for further information:

  • TDEC Rule 0400-48-01: Regulations to Govern Subsurface Sewage Disposal Systems
  • TCA Section 68-221-401.414: Subsurface Sewage Disposal Systems
  • TDEC Rule 0400-48-01: Regulations to Govern Subsurface Sewage Disposal Systems

Getting a Permit for an On-Site Sewage Facility – Such as a Septic System

A permit is necessary for the construction, installation, alteration, extension, or repair of an On-site Sewage Facility, with a few exceptions as mentioned below (OSSF). Always double-check with your local permitting authority before proceeding. Local permitting programs may be more strict than those mandated by state law in some cases. Texas law provides allow for an OSSF to be excluded from permitting requirements if the OSSF meets the following criteria:

  • If the OSSF serves a single family residence on a tract of land that is 10 acres or larger, it is not a nuisance or a groundwater contaminant
  • All parts of the OSSF are at least 100 feet from the property line
  • The effluent is disposed of on the property
  • And, the single family residence is the only dwelling on the tract of land

It is not necessary to get a permit for emergency repairs (such as the replacement of tank lids, input and outlet devices, and the repair of solid lines), but they must be notified to the appropriate permitting body within 72 hours of the start of the repairs.

Emergency repairs are specified in 30 TAC Subchapter D, Section 285.35 of the Texas Administrative Code. Even if a permit is not necessary, the OSSF must adhere to the state’s minimal requirements.

Online Septic Research

The Environmental Services Department of Maricopa County maintains a database that contains all of the county’s existing approved septic systems for the purpose of preservation. Please bear in mind that property owners are responsible for maintaining accurate records of the location and maintenance of their septic system for the duration of the system’s life.

Alteration Permit

An Alteration Permit will be required for onsite systems that have a failing tank or disposal field.

Abandonment Permit

An Abandonment Permit will be required for any onsite systems that are to be abandoned in order to connect to the municipal sewage system or that are to be taken out of operation.


Option 1: You may perform your own study at no cost by using the Online Septic Search Tool (available at no expense). Option 2: You can call the Environmental Services Department and ask for a more in-depth search to be undertaken (fees will apply for research conducted by the department for each parcel).

  • Researchers charge a cost of $30 for research requests that take 3 to 7 business days. Expedited researchers charge a $60 price for research requests that take 1 to 2 business days. Septic Research Request Form.

Florida Department of Health in Volusia

  • How can a new business determine whether or not it need an examination of its septic system? In order to add a room to my house, why do I need to get the current septic tank system authorized first? Who determines whether or not I require a mound septic system
  • What exactly do I need to do in order to fix my drainfield? Does the government offer any help programs for septic system repairs?

1. What is the reason for an inspection of the septic tank system for a new business?

A shop in the appropriate size and location has been discovered for my new business, which I want to launch shortly after. When I went to receive my Business Tax Receipt (BTR), (formerly known as an occupational license), they informed me that I needed to get the septic tank system certified by the Florida Department of Health in Volusia County. I agreed to this. A: According to Florida Statute 381.0065, all companies that rely on a septic tank system for sewage disposal are required to acquire clearance from the local health authority whenever the company owner, the kind of business, or a tenant changes.

See also:  How Long Does It Take To Fill A Residential Septic Tank? (Solved)

Modifications to company activities may result in an increase in sewage flow or a change in sewage characteristics.

Who is in charge of completing and submitting the application?

Section 1: Introduction

2.What is the reason to have the existing septic tank system approved before I add a room onto my home?

I intend to expand my current residence by adding a room. The building department informed me that they would not grant a building permit unless the current septic tank system had been authorized by the department. Because it will not be air conditioned, I do not believe that I will be required to do so. If you are planning to build an addition to your current house, you will need to have your existing septic system inspected first. This inspection technique is required in order to establish whether or not the current septic system has sufficient capacity to accommodate the extension.

This criterion is not affected by whether or not the addition has air conditioning or heating.

The enclosed livable space of a housing unit is referred to as the building area, and it is used to calculate the size of the septic system that is required. Applications and guidelines for a Residential Inspection of Septic System Application for an Existing Septic System Section 1: Introduction

3. Who determines if I need a mound septic system?

I possess a piece of land on which I intend to build a house. According to a buddy of mine, I will most likely require a mounded septic system in order to properly dispose of waste. My lot is high and dry, and it never flooded during the recent torrential rains, thus I do not want a mound built on top of it. The Florida Administrative Code, Chapter 64E-6, mandates a 24 inch buffer between the wet season water table and the bottom of the drainfield during the rainy season. It is possible for water tables to change dramatically between wet and dry seasons.

As soon as the water table has been determined, a permit is drafted in accordance with state law requirements.

If sod is to be used on the slopes, a 2:1 slope is necessary for mounds up to 36 inches in height, and a 3:1 slope is required for mounds higher than 36 inches in height; if hay and seed is to be used on the slopes, a 5:1 slope is required regardless of the height of the mound.

Application for a New Septic System Construction Permit, as well as instructions on how to complete the application

4. What do I need to do to fix my drainfield?

My drainfield isn’t performing as expected. A septic system repair permit must be obtained before any work on your septic drainfield may be done.

5. Are assistance programs for septic system repairs available?

If you qualify, the Volusia County Community Assistance Division may have cash available to you. Contact them for more information. Please email [email protected] or call 386-736-5955 for further information. Section 1: Introduction

Where’s my septic tank?

There are a few solutions available if the previous homeowner failed to supply this critical information or if you have misplaced your original copy:

  • Your local DHEC office may have a copy of your building permit on file if your house was built within the last five years or fewer, according to the DHEC. A copy of a septic tank permit can be obtained from the local office by any individual or group, regardless of whether or not they own the land in question. Because of this, it is highly recommended that you have as much of the following information as possible ready at the time of your request.
  • Number of the tax map
  • Lot number
  • Block number
  • Address in the physical world
  • When the system was installed or when the house was built (if this information is available)
  • Name of the original permit holder (if any information is available)
  • Name of the subdivision (if the property is located within a subdivision)
  • You may also submit a request for a copy of the permission through our Freedom of Information office, although this is not mandatory. To obtain a copy through the Freedom of Information Office, please complete and submit a copy of the DHEC FOI form. Instructions are given with the application. If feasible, please include the information about the property that is stated above. When looking around your yard, search for manhole covers or lids that have been buried by grass or leaves if your house was constructed before 1990.


Septic Tank Alerts Septic Tank Alerts

Septic & Land Development

When developing land, it is critical for the developer, engineer, or homeowner to schedule a meeting with SWDH in order to explain the project in detail.

SWDH requires that you attend this pre-development meeting before proceeding with the formal application process. Download the Subdivision Application from our Document Repository, which may be found under the Land Development category. Contact208-455-5400.

After the Idaho Department of Environmental Quality (IDEQ) or a Qualified Licensed Professional Engineer (QLPE) has conducted the necessary reviews of the specifications, the SWDH works in collaboration with the IDEQ to release sanitary restrictions on platted subdivisions that are served by city water and city sewer. Please adhere to the Mylar Signature Checklist, which may be found in our Document Repository under Land Development. for subdivisions including municipal water and city sewage services.

  1. The SER can be downloaded from our Document Repositoryunder Land Development.
  2. Additionally, depending on the location of the subdivision, the size of the lots, and the density of residences, the SWDH may require a Nutrient Pathogen Study to be completed.
  3. When developing property, it is critical for the developer/engineer to organize a meeting with SWDH in order to explain the project in more detail.
  4. Download the Subdivision Application from our Document Repository, which may be found under the Land Development category.


Service Description Charges
Subdivision Engineering Report Application Fee $250.00
Cost Per Developable Lot $300.00
Subdivision Application – City Services (Requires DEQ Approval) $150.00
Central/LSAS $1,000 + $100 per 250 gpd
Pre-development site evaluation for commercial or engineered lots (includes multiple test holes and evaluation results) $850.00
Pre Development Meeting (Fee to apply toward SER application if within 12-months of pre-development meeting) $100.00

In order to obtain further information, you may call the SWDH headquarters at 208-455-5400.

Subsurface Sewage Disposal Systems

The Southwest District Health (SWDH) Environmental Health Services division, in collaboration with the Idaho Department of Environmental Quality, controls underground sewage disposal systems (IDEQ). If the developer or homeowner has any questions about the application or permitting process for a subsurface sewage disposal system, they should contact SWDH at (208) 455-5400. This is especially important because a subsurface sewage permit is usually required before a county building permit can be obtained.

Process/ How to Apply

SWDH must perform an on-site examination prior to issuing a permit for underground sewage disposal before the permit may be issued. The applicant must make arrangements for a backhoe to be brought in to dig a ten (10) foot test hole at the time of the examination. When submitting an application, SWDH requires a legal description, zoning certificate, tax assessment notice, or property profile, among other things. It is possible to obtain your legal description by contacting the county or by consulting a tax notice.

How to Apply

Download the Subsurface Sewage Disposal Application (PDF) from our Document Repository, which may be found under Septic Systems. Please also include an 8″ x 10″ copy of the home floor plans, verifying the amount of bedrooms, if the house is being built from scratch.

Accessory Use

Accessory Use permissions from the county may be necessary before a building permit may be issued for the construction of an addition, shop, or other structure on a piece of property in certain circumstances. The proposed plan will be evaluated by an Environmental Health Specialist at the time of the Accessory Use Application to see if it will necessitate a modification to the existing subsurface sewage disposal system. The Accessory Use Approval Application and Plot Plan (both in PDF format) may be found in our Document Repositoryunder Septic Systems and can be downloaded.

State License Search – Septic Tank Waste Removal, Transport and Land Application Licenses

According to Part 117 of the Natural Resources and Environmental Protection Act of 1994 PA 451, as amended, the Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy (EGLE) is responsible for giving licenses and permits to individuals and businesses in Michigan. A primary goal of this Part is to regulate the disposal of septagewaste by licensing those individuals who are engaged in the servicing of portable toilets, septic tanks, seepage pits, cesspools, sewage lift stations, or other regulated enclosures; licensing their vehicles; and issuing permits authorizing the land application of septagewaste to agricultural land.

Part 117 also regulates the inspection of vehicles used to convey septage waste and land application sites, as well as the inspection of other vehicles.

NAME OF PERMIT OR APPROVAL: Authorization for Land Application ofSeptageWasteLicense to Remove and Transport Septic Tank WasteAuthorization for Land Application ofSeptageWasteLicense to Remove and Transport Septic Tank Waste The Natural Resources and Environmental Protection Act, Public Act 451 of 1994, as amended, grants authority under Part 117 of the SeptageWaste and Natural Resources and Environmental Protection Act.


1.Applicability (activities that require the permit)
  • Individuals or businesses involved in the business of maintaining portable toilets, septic tanks, seepage pits, or cesspools, or who own or operate vehicles that transport waste from these enclosures
  • Any site that has been utilized for the terrestrial application of septage wastes
  • And
  • Any location where septage wastes are applied to the ground
2.Pre-Application Requirements

  • All personnel engaged in the service of portable toilets, septic tanks, seepage pits, cesspools, sewage lift stations, or other regulated enclosures, as well as the vehicles used to transfer waste from these enclosures, are needed to be properly licensed.
  • Licenses are valid for five years from the date of issuance
  • However, they are not renewable.
  • Each licensed company is required to pay an annual fee in order to keep their licenses.
  • The Department requires that all wastes collected from any portable toilet, septic tank, seepage pit, or cesspool be disposed of in a publicly owned wastewater treatment facility or other Department-authorized receiving station, provided that such a facility is available to receive the waste and is located within 15 road miles of where the waste is collected.
  • Septagewaste may be disposed of by land application to designated locations, which must be approved by either a municipal health agency or the MEQ. The EGLE grants permits for the usage of these sites.
  • Licensed persons are required to have on hand at their place of business at all times a detailed record of the amount of septic waste that they have carried and disposed of, as well as the site where any septic waste disposal has taken place.
  • A new business license as well as a car license application can be obtained upon request.
  • License reissue applications are distributed to firms around 60 days ahead to the end of their existing licensing agreement.
3.Application Submission Requirements

The MEQ must be notified of the application for license through the use of form EQP 5836, which needs the following information:

  • Name and mailing address of the applicant
  • Name and mailing address of the applicant’s business
  • Vehicles to be utilized for carrying septage trash are described in detail.

Signatures of superintendents from all wastewater treatment facilities that are available to take septagewaste collected by the hauler are required on the document (in the areas where the licensed hauler collectsseptagewaste). All expenses that may be incurred If the applicant plans to dispose of septagewaste on land, he or she must additionally complete form EQP 5837 (Authorization for Land Application of SeptageWaste) as well. The following information is required on the EQP 5837 form:

  • Business name and postal address
  • Property description
  • Landowner agreement
  • Information on the disposal site
  • And other pertinent information.
4.Procedures and Time-Frame for Obtaining Permit or Approval
  • The applicant completes and submits the application form with all of the relevant information (EQP 5836 and EQP 5837). To apply for a license or permit, all septagewaste forms are available on the program’s website, and they should be utilized only while doing so.
  • The applicant will be contacted by the local health department or the EGLE to schedule an examination of the vehicle(s) and the property location to see if all of the requirements of Part 117 have been satisfied
  • To dispose of waste through land application, the applicant must submit form EQP 5837, which is available on the Department of Environmental Quality website. All applications for the septagewaste program are forwarded to EGLE for consideration. If the application is considered to be complete, EGLE contacts the local health department if the department has a contract with EGLE for the purpose of implementing the provisions of Part 117 of the Occupational Safety and Health Act. The EGLESeptageProgram has contracted with the health department to conduct program inspections and provide suggestions to the program. The EGLE takes these recommendations into account and is ultimately responsible for determining whether or not to issue the licenses or land application permits in question. The applicant must submit the completed application form, as well as a plat map, a soil survey map, and an Agricultural Stabilization and Conservation Service map to the DWEHD, EGLE, if the site is in a county where the local health department does not participate in the program’s administration. Each map must provide a clear outline of the planned location, which is required by law. The staff of the administering agency examines the material available to decide whether or not the proposed location satisfies the standards of the legislation in order to be approved. Applicants’ business licenses are valid for a maximum of five years, and approvals must be renewed at the time of license expiration in order to continue using the facility.
  • The application shall simultaneously send a notice of application to the certified health department with jurisdiction, the clerk of the city, village, or township where the site is located, each person who owns a lot, parcel, or tract on which the proposed site is located or that would be contiguous except for the presence of a highway, road, or street, and the person to contact if there is an objection to the proposal.
  • The applicant obtains signatures from all superintendents of publicly owned wastewater treatment plants (in the areas where the business collects septagewaste) and from the owners of private septagewaste receiving facilities (SWRFs) that accept septagewaste for treatment before proceeding with the application. In order to take septage waste for treatment, only EGLE authorized facilities can do so, and each facility has a different service area that can stretch as far as 15 radial miles from the center of the facility (this can extend as far out as 25 radial miles beginning FY 2010). Waste generated within the service area of an EGLE-authorized SWRF must be transported to that facility or another EGLE-authorized SWRF where it will undergo treatment. Septage and waste receiving facility operating plans are available on the program’s website, which may be accessed by selecting ‘ApprovedSeptageWaste Receiving Facility Operating Plans.’ In addition, the licensedseptagefirm should be aware that the county ordinance controlling septagewaste pumping and disposal may be more restricted than the state regulation.
  • A completed application form and costs are sent to EGLE and DWEHD by the applicant.
  • The application form(s) are reviewed by EGLE employees to ensure that they are complete and that the required payments have been submitted.
  • EGLEstaff will return any form(s) that are not completed or that are not submitted with the required fees to the business, along with a note describing the problem. To remedy the situation, the applicant is urged to rectify it.
  • If the application is considered to be complete, EGLE contacts the local health department if the department has a contract with EGLE for the purpose of implementing the provisions of Part 117 of the Occupational Safety and Health Act. The EGLESeptageProgram has contracted with the health department to conduct program inspections and provide suggestions to the program. EGLE takes these recommendations into account and is ultimately responsible for determining whether or not to issue licenses or land application permits.
  • Employees of the EGLE give suitable licenses and car decals to applicants once it has been established by staff that all of the relevant information has been supplied, fees have been paid, and there is no other reason why a license should not be issued.
  • Expect a wait of up to six weeks for individuals in the newsprint industry, as well as those requiring a license for new cars and land application sites.
See also:  Septic Tank Over Flowin With Wwaer What Does That Mean? (Solved)
5.Operational Requirements

Every part of Part 117 that applies to the licensee as well as any requirements contained in either the license or the land application permission must be followed to the letter.

  • The owner of thisptagewaste company is needed to pay a yearly fee in order to keep his/her license active. It is customary for invoices to be sent during the second week of January of a given year.
  • The cost of a vehicle license is $480 per car if the septagewaste business disposes of septage on land, and $350 per vehicle otherwise.
  • Sites for new construction are priced at $500 per site. This is a one-time payment
  • There will be no more payments.
  • When a recognized health department performs functions under Part 117, it has the authority to charge a fee to pay the costs of carrying out such functions.
7.Appeal Process
  • Administrative Procedures Act, 1969 Pennsylvania Act 306, as modified
  • A new application has been filed for a contested case hearing and Judicial Review.
  • The hearing on Roger’s license, the hearing on a contested matter, and the Judicial Review are all ongoing.
8.Public Input Opportunities

Existing license – Roger’s Hearing, disputed case hearing, and Judicial Review are all possible outcomes.

  • Michigan’s Environmental Assistance Center can be reached at (800) 662-9278 or by email at [email protected]

Date of creation and revision: 12/2019

Onsite Sewage FAQ – Permitting

What is the process for obtaining a building permit for a septic tank system or other onsite sewage treatment and disposal system (OSTDS)? Septic tank permits are issued by the Environmental Health Section of the Florida Department of Health’s local county health department offices, which are located in each county. Please keep in mind that many counties have local rules that may go beyond the standards of the state for OSTDS compliance. What is the procedure for submitting an application for a permit?

Click here to download and complete an Application Form (DH4015, page 1) It is necessary to do a Site Evaluation (DH4015, page 3) in order to establish the circumstances on your land, and it must be done by a trained specialist.

In addition, the total permitting price will be determined by your county health department based on the type of system that is required for your property and the services that you want they execute.

Standards for Septic Tanks Section 381.0065 of the Florida Statutes (F.S.) and Chapter 62-6 of the Florida Administrative Code (F.A.C.) contain standards for septic tank systems and other OSTDS.

Frequently Asked Questions

How much does a permit set you back? District Health Department No. 2 provides a wide range of services for which licenses and fees are required. Any permit’s current cost may be determined by referring to the fee schedule on this page or contacting the District Health Department No. 2 office in your area. How long does it take to have a permit approved or denied? Site assessments will be done within eight (8) business days of receipt of the application and cost, in accordance with the rules of District Health Department No.

  • It is possible that this period will vary owing to a variety of reasons such as incomplete applications, the complexity of the project, the participation of other authorities, and harsh weather conditions.
  • What is the procedure for obtaining a “perc test?” A “perc test” is a broad phrase that refers to the soil assessment that is performed during a vacant land or septic permit site examination, among other things.
  • An individual must submit a completed application along with the required money to the health department, which will then conduct the site evaluation that has been requested by the individual.
  • Both forms of assessments are carried out in the same manner as one another.

The primary difference is that, if approved, a septic permit evaluation authorizes the construction of a sewage disposal system, provides specific construction specifications, and has an expiration date, whereas a well permit evaluation does not authorize the construction of a sewage disposal system.

Vacant land assessments do not have a set end date, and as a result, they are often performed in instances where the property is unlikely to be developed for a long length of time.

Important to note is that a vacant land evaluation approval does not imply authorization to construct a wastewater treatment system; rather, an application to construct a wastewater treatment system must be submitted and a construction permit issued before any wastewater treatment system construction can begin.

  • The seasonal high water table is the maximum level or elevation of groundwater at which the soil is flooded by groundwater during the regularly wet seasons of the year.
  • The inspection of soils, soil saturation, soil mottling (during dry seasons of the year), soil structure, historical records, technical data, or other verifiable data may be used to identify the seasonal high water table.
  • To ensure that new construction sites comply with current District Health Department No.
  • How can I keep my septic system in good working order?
  • Septic tanks should be opened and examined at least once a year, and excessive sludge or scum should be removed if necessary.
  • Aside from that, practicing water conservation is a wise decision.
  • Using the sewage disposal system to dispose of sump pump water, water softener recharge water, and storm water runoff is not recommended.

It is critical to repair leaky fittings as soon as possible.

It is important to note that septic tanks are the major source of treatment for residential sewage since they contain huge quantities of bacteria that are necessary for the treatment and breakdown of sewage wastes.

It is critical not to use excessive amounts of cleansers or disinfectants in the septic tank since they can interfere with the bacteriologic activities that occur in the tank.

Avoid using your waste disposal unit excessively since these units increase the quantity of particulates entering your system that are tough to break down and so should be avoided.

Is it possible for me to install my own septic system?

A final inspection by the health department must be performed prior to the system being used to ensure that it has been installed in accordance with the permit specifications and the requirements of the local sanitary code.

What if I require a copy of a permit for a system that is already in place?

Form for Making a Request

Septic Tank Pumping Contractors – Permits

Environmental Health Section requires that persons engaged in the operation of removing and disposing of solid and liquid contents of septic tank or holding tank, grease traps or grease interceptors, or any other sewage treatment or disposal facility file an annual application with the Environmental Health Section and obtain an annual permit from the Section for each business and each vehicle that is used in the operation.

The permit cannot be transferred to another business or another vehicle under any circumstances.

Supplemental Application

All individuals planning to run a Construction and Labor Camp are required to file a Supplemental Application to the Department of Labor. This program collects information that is particular to the type of facility being used.

Checklist: Documentation Requirements

  • Permit to Operate (See “Forms” tab)
  • And Supplemental Application for a Septic Tank Pumping Contractor (See “Forms” tab)
  • And
  • Permit to Operate (See “Forms” tab)
  • Permit to Operate
  • Additional supplemental applications for a septic tank pumping contractor should be submitted in the event that the application does not allow for the listing of all vehicles.
  • In addition, a copy of each vehicle’s registration card, which has been issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles
  • And, letters directing you to appropriate disposal facilities.

Permit: Conditions that require amendments

Holders of permits to operate as septic tank pumping contractors are required to update their permits in accordance with NAC 444.820 before they can do any of the following:

  • It is unlawful to: 1. Use a vehicle or tank that is not listed on the permit application to remove and dispose of the solid and liquid contents of sewage treatment or disposal facilities (such as septic tanks), 2. Discharge solid and liquid waste at a location that was not listed on the permit application
  • Or 3. Dispose of solid and liquid waste in a manner that is inconsistent with the terms of the permit.

Changes of Ownership

The original or a certified copy of the state registration or bill of sale for each vehicle included on the application must be submitted with the application if the health authority so requests. If the ownership of a vehicle indicated on an application changes while the application is being processed, the applicant must notify the health authority as soon as possible and provide evidence of the ownership change. Any change in the ownership or control of an automobile that occurs after a permit has been granted must be reported to the health authority no later than 2 weeks from the date of the change.


  • An applicant must submit in an application the original or a certified copy of the state registration or bill of sale, or both, for each vehicle included on the application if the health authority so requests. If the ownership of a vehicle indicated on an application changes while the application is ongoing, the applicant must notify the health authority as soon as possible and provide evidence of the ownership change. If the ownership of a vehicle changes after a permit has been issued, the holder of the permit must notify the health authority of the change no later than 2 weeks from the day on which the change happened. The applicant must provide evidence proving that he or she has authorisation to operate a vehicle if the applicant does not hold a valid driver’s license.
  • PLUS $322 per year for each pumping unit that is approved for operation in accordance with the permit
  • And
See also:  How To Find Out If A Home Has A Septic Tank? (Best solution)

Payment of fees

Payments made using the online system must be made with an e-check or a credit card. If you are unable to make a payment through the online system, cash, check, or money order are all acceptable forms of payment. The Division of Public and Behavioral Health should be made payable to the sender (DPBH). Permits, both yearly and temporary in nature, that are presented on paper and mailed or given in person must be accompanied by payment. Over the phone, DPBH does not take credit cards for payment.

Individual Sewage Disposal Systems – Permits

To construct, change, or expand an individual sewage disposal system, permission must be acquired from the Division of Public and Behavioral Health. This permission for new construction is necessary before any building permit may be given for any project that will require its own sewage disposal system, such as a house or a commercial facility.

Construction Permits

Construction permits are valid for one year from the date of issuance, unless otherwise stated. If the intended construction, alteration, or expansion of the individual sewage disposal system is not completed within 12 months of the date of issuance, the permit is deemed null and invalid and must be reissued.

For a charge of $332, an extension of a permit to construct an individual sewage disposal system for a period of one year following the expiration of the permit is needed.

Plan Review Requirements

A copy of the following documents must be included with every application submission package:

  • A request for an Individual Sewage Disposal System
  • An application fee
  • Percolation test results
  • Soil profile results
  • Approval from the local building department (if applicable)
  • And other documents. There will be one (1) copy of the design plan, which will include the following information:
  • (a) The plan’s title and date, as well as the signature of the owner or his agent. • (b) A road and street layout plan of the region where the system will be installed, which depicts the placement of the roads and streets
  • (c) The placement and distance between a well and a sewage system on neighboring parcels of land. If any of the lots are unoccupied, please specify
  • (d) the direction of north should be clearly marked
  • And (e) The distance between any watercourse specified and any point within 500 feet of it, including, but not limited to, any pond, lagoon, or stream. If there are no watercourses in the area, the plot plan must state this
  • (f) The location of each percolation test hole and boring test hole
  • And (g) the location and depth of each proposed and/or actual well located within 200 feet of the planned individual sewage disposal system
  • And In the case of a well that is less than 150 feet from the absorption field, a well log must be included
  • (h) Each component of the system, which must be appropriately identified and placed at the prescribed distances
  • I The distance between the house and the city sewers. Unless there are any, the layout design must state that there are none. (1 inch = 30 feet, 40 feet, 50 feet, 60 feet, etc.) The distance between each well and soil absorption system and the property line
  • (k) The scale at which the design is prepared (1 inch = 30 feet, 40 feet, 50 feet, 60 feet, etc.)
  • A single-family dwelling’s number of bedrooms is denoted by the letter l. (m) The capacity of the septic tank
  • (n) The maximum slope over the area of the absorption system
  • And (o) The dimensions of the parcel of land. Those factors include: (p) the depth, length, width, and spacing of any absorption trenches
  • (q) the location of the water supply lines, building sewer lines, and other underground utilities
  • (r) the location of the structures, paved areas, driveways, trees, and patios
  • (s) the location of the water source to be used by the system, which may include, without limitation, a well or other source approved by the administrative authority
  • And (t) the location of the reserve absorption

Occupancy Permits

It is necessary to have the individual sewage disposal system examined and to have completed all other criteria (such as submitting the required as-built drawings and well logs) before an occupancy permit may be given. Please keep in mind that this document is necessary in order to connect to utilities on the premises.

Abandonment of Individual Sewage Disposal System

It is possible that the ISDS will be abandoned owing to replacement, failure, or connection to a public sewer system. Permits are required for the replacement of septic systems in residential areas. If the property is being connected to municipal sewer, the sewer connection documentation, as well as any related invoices, must be submitted to the health district for approval. Before you may connect to the municipal sewer system, you must first close the active ISDS permit.


  • The cost of a permit to construct an individual sewage disposal system for a single-family dwelling, which includes a review of a design plan for the system as well as an initial inspection of the system (which may include primary treatment units, alternative treatment systems, or engineered disposal system designs) is $498.00. It costs $124 to resubmit or revise the plan outlined in the preceding paragraph, or to replace a single tank
  • It costs $100 to do an individual sewer disposal system inspection.

Payment of Fees

Payments made using the online system must be made with an e-check or a credit card. If you are unable to make a payment using the online system, cheque or money order are accepted as alternatives. The Division of Public and Behavioral Health should be made payable to the sender (DPBH). All applications for permits, both annual and temporary, that are filed on paper and mailed must include payment. Over the phone, DPBH does not take credit cards for payment. When a final approval is not obtained or when a voluntary withdrawal is requested, the fees paid will not be returned.


Construction permits are provided by the commissioner, however all requests for a sewage disposal construction permission must be sent to the district or municipal health department before being submitted to the commissioner. In the first instance, a Type I sewage disposal system is a single-family home sewage disposal system that incorporates both an above-ground septic tank and a subsurface soil absorption system (septic tank-subsurface drainfield). For the most part, the filing of an application is sufficient to kick-start the process of obtaining a permit under this article.

  • Type II sewage disposal systems include a septic tank and a subsurface soil absorption system that serve more than a single family housing unit, or if pumping, increased flow distribution (see 12VAC5-610-930A) or low pressure distribution (see 12VAC5-610-940) is required.
  • If necessary, a preliminary conference; and 3.
  • It may be necessary to provide official designs and specifications for the system, depending on the size and complexity of the system.
  • The following procedures must be completed in order to receive a permission under this subsection: 1.
  • submitting an application; 2.
  • submitting official plans, specifications, and design requirements On an individual case-by-case basis, additional supporting documentation may be requested.
  • D.

The submission of an application is usually all that is required to begin the process of obtaining a permit under the provisions of this section.



In the case of Type II and Type III systems, a preliminary consultation with the district or local health authority is scheduled.

At such a meeting, the owner and/or his agent must be prepared to present the sewage disposal issues and the suggested solution in a way that will allow him to reach conclusions and make suggestions that are supported by evidence.

Plans that are in writing.

All formal plans for sewage disposal systems shall be identified by a suitable title that includes the name of the owner, the scale in feet, a graphical scale, the north point, the date, and the name of the licensed professional engineer who prepared the plan or who was under the supervision of that engineer.

  1. Individual sheets should have appropriate captions that correspond to the content.
  2. They must be designed at a scale that will allow all relevant information to be clearly shown on a single page.
  3. It is necessary to specify the data that was used.
  4. Logs of test borings must be provided on the drawings or in the specifications, whichever is more appropriate.
  5. Detailed plans are also included in the specifications and general layouts.

Geographical and other characteristics of the area There must be a clear depiction of the topography, elevations (contour lines), existing or proposed streets and all bodies of water, ditches, buildings, springs, cisterns, and wells that are within 100 feet horizontally of the proposed sewage disposal system site and/or well, as well as a water mounding analysis that shows the impact of the proposed sewage disposal system on ground water and all property lines.

  1. 3.
  2. a.
  3. The size and placement of sewage disposal systems; c.
  4. Piping, and e.
  5. Detailed plans are required.
  6. It is possible to include all or part of this information into the specifications through appropriate reference to the plans;c.
  7. a sufficient description of any characteristics not otherwise covered by the specifications.
  8. Formal specifications are required.

Specifications for construction drawings shall include, but not be limited to, all construction information not shown on the drawings that is necessary to inform the builder in detail of the design requirements as to the quality of material workmanship and fabrication of the project, type, size, strength, operating characteristics, and rating of equipment; allowable infiltration, machinery, valves, piping, and jointing of pipe, electrical apparatus, wiring, and other related items.

Specifications for construction drawings shall be accompanied by construction drawings.

It is only one owner who may apply for and be awarded a building permit for a single sewage disposal system that is intended to service a multi-family housing unit, multiple dwelling units, or numerous lots having multi-family dwelling units.


“Conditional construction permit” refers to a permit authorizing the installation of a septic tank subsurface soil absorption system that does not fully comply with the criteria in Part V (12VAC5-610-660et seq.) of this chapter pertaining to septic tank size, subsurface soil absorption system size, and certain ground water table conditions as indicated by soil evaluation, but which can be reasonably expected to comply under the conditions to which the permit is subject.

  • It is the intent of this provision that conditional building permits may be issued in certain circumstances.
  • 3.
  • Reduced water flow as a result of permanent water-saving plumbing devices;b.
  • Intermittent or seasonal use of the dwelling or facility served by the proposed septic tank system; andd.
  • 4.

In areas with seasonal fluctuating water table(s), where the seasonally high water table would cause system failure if the system were to be used continuously, septic tank systems may be installed when the period of use of the septic tank system coincides with the period when the ground water table, as indicated by free water, is at its highest level.c.



In the event that any conditional building permission is issued to a person, the permit must be recorded and indexed in grantor index under that person’s name in the property records maintained by the clerk of circuit court having jurisdiction over where the septic tank system is to be installed.

It is the responsibility of the district or local health department to ensure that the conditional permit is in force one day after notification of recording is received.

After the septic tank subsurface soil absorption system is created in accordance with the provisions of the permit, the final approval of the building of the system will not be granted.

Under Virginia Code 32.1-164.1, the permit holder and any subsequent permit holders are both bound by the conditions set forth in the permit unless the permit holder or subsequent permit holders obtain an additional permit for modification or alteration of the septic tank system in order to accommodate any new use conditions.

Derived from VR355-34-02 2.13, which became effective on February 5, 1986, and was revised on May 11, 1988; Virginia RegisterVolume 16, Issue 16, which became effective on July 1, 2000.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *