How To Become A Certified Septic Tank Installer In Lowa?

  • Becoming a licensed or certified septic tank installer generally involves completing an application detailing your background and professional experience, paying an annually renewable fee and passing an exam covering installation, operational details and safety procedures. Septic Tank Professional Exam

Can I install my own septic system in Iowa?

According to Iowa law, all septic systems, regardless of when they were installed, must have a secondary wastewater treatment system following the septic tank. Applicants must own an existing home with a septic system in an area not served by a public sewer.

How much does a septic system cost in Iowa?

Septic tanks cost between $3,174 and $10,366, or $6,766 on average. A typical 1,000-gallon tank installation for a 3-bedroom home ranges from $2,100 to $5,000. Materials cost between $600 and $2,500 without labor. A complete septic system, including a leach field, tank and piping costs $10,000 to $25,000.

How do I get certified to install septic system in Indiana?

Homeowners who are knowledgeable and wish to install a septic system on their own property must:

  1. Pass (by 70%) a standard departmental exam which covers varying types of septic systems, along with County and State regulations concerning septic systems.
  2. Pay registration fee. See list of septic related fees HERE.

Can I install my own septic system in Nebraska?

Nebraska does not require permits for all new septic system installations. To obtain one, the owner of the building must submit a permit application, fee, detailed specifications, plans, site evaluation and soil information. These documents must be prepared and signed by a state-licensed engineer.

Can you have a septic tank without a leach field?

The waste from most septic tanks flows to a soakaway system or a drainage field. If your septic tank doesn’t have a drainage field or soakaway system, the waste water will instead flow through a sealed pipe and empty straight into a ditch or a local water course.

Is an outhouse legal in Iowa?

Are outhouses legal in Iowa? “Every private sewage disposal system shall have as a primary treatment unit a septic tank” and “All wastewater from the facility serviced shall discharge into the septic tank.” Despite this law, there are still many outhouses in rural areas of Iowa.

How much does it cost to install a septic tank in Iowa?

A three- or four-bedroom house typically requires a 1,000-gallon septic tank, and the cost for the tank and installation averages between $8,000 and $15,000.

What are the 3 types of septic systems?

Types of Septic Systems

  • Septic Tank.
  • Conventional System.
  • Chamber System.
  • Drip Distribution System.
  • Aerobic Treatment Unit.
  • Mound Systems.
  • Recirculating Sand Filter System.
  • Evapotranspiration System.

What is the cheapest septic system?

Conventional septic system These conventional septic systems are usually the most affordable, with an average cost of around $3,000.

What is an Iowpa certification?

The objective of the certificate programs is to educate wastewater professionals in regard to the Indiana State Rule 410 IAC, to assure consistent application throughout the state. Both certificates ( Installer and Inspector ) are for individuals.

Does a septic tank have to be registered?

A septic tank discharges water into the ground, and the quantity of such is important so as to avoid damage to the environment. If your septic tank discharges two cubic metres or less above ground, then you don’t need to register it. If it releases five cubic metres, or less, below ground level then it is also exempt.

Can I install my own leach field?

You may also need to pull a permit to put in a new leach field. A leach field is an important part of a septic system. It disperses fluid from the septic system over a large area of soil adjacent to the building it services. Building your own leach field is physically difficult, but it can save you lots of money.


You must provide proof that you are at least 16 years old in order to participate in both the Basic and Advanced Levels. The test site registration must receive proof of age (e.g., a copy of a driver’s license or birth certificate) prior to the test being administered on the site. Basic Level Exam consists of 75 questions and takes around 2 hours to complete. Advanced Level Exam consists of 125 questions and takes 3 hours to complete. All questions are provided in a multiple-choice format to facilitate answering.

Immediately behind each topic area is the approximate proportion of questions in that content area that will appear on the test.

ASSESSMENT OF THE PLAN ten percent of the total 1.


  1. The ability to envision a process for installing a product.
  2. The ability to perform mathematical calculations on areas, volumes, elevations, rates, measurements, and weights is also required.
  3. Installation plans, elevations, and geography are all familiar to you?
  4. a thorough understanding of equipment requirements and limits, materials and supplies, and soil characteristics 4.
  5. The ability to recognize the demands of subcontractors and homeowners, as well as possible conflicts INSTALLATION AND DEVELOPMENT OF THE SITE 70 percent of the population 1.
  6. A working knowledge of specifications and installation techniques for tanks, baffles, filters, and screens, piping and fittings, aggregate and fill material, proprietary treatment components, pump and siphon systems and liner materials, valves, switches, and tubing.
  7. Familiarity with electrical specifications 4.
  8. Familiarity with timers and remote monitoring systems 6.

Onsite Training

Regarding the Transfer’s Start and End Times (March 31, 2022)


Iowa’s ground and surface water resources will be protected and enhanced via the provision of current information and training by technical specialists on onsite wastewater treatment systems.

Who We Serve

  • Other professionals include contractors/installers, regulatory agencies, inspectors, consultants, engineers/system designers, and other professionals.

Those who work as contractors or installers, regulators, inspectors, consultants, engineers, system designers, and other professionals


Those who work as contractors or installers, regulators, inspectors, consultants, engineers, system designers, and other professionals.


The weekend of March 2-3 (W/TH) 9:00am-4:30pm Hawkeye Community College, Waterloo During the course, Environmental Public Health Inspectors will receive instruction on how to manage and operate an onsite wastewater program for private sewage disposal systems. The purpose of this course is to increase competencies and skills required to administer a high-quality onsite wastewater program that complies with the standards of DNR chapters 68, 69, and 93, as well as other applicable regulations. The fundamentals of developing a model program will be covered in this course.

  1. Click here to register online or call 515-964-6800 to register over the telephone.
  2. 8 (Monday, August 8).
  3. Pump inspections, personal protective equipment, tools required, site observations, building a routine, tips and tricks, samples, control panels, and homeowner education will all be covered in detail.
  4. Click here to register online or call 515-964-6800 to register over the telephone.
  5. Building 20 of the DMACC in Ankeny This course is meant to provide regulators with an overview of the Time of Transfer inspection process, including reporting, as well as the administrative components of the Time of Transfer inspection and reporting method.
  6. Attendees will have access to a computer in order to receive hands-on instruction.
  7. This training would also be beneficial to realtors who would like to have a better understanding of TOT reporting.
  8. Monday, November 17 (Thursday), 9:00 a.m.
  9. Ankeny-Bldg 20 of the DMACC The requirements of the Iowa septic system code will be reviewed by course attendees, including requirements for determining system design, installation requirements, the inspection process, and system maintenance.
  10. This course has been approved for 6 credit hours of DNR TOT credit.


April 20-21 (Tuesday and Wednesday) 8:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Virtual is an abbreviation for Virtual (Microsoft Teams) The course will give participants with a fundamental grasp of the functioning aspects of traditional septic systems as well as alternative systems that are regularly employed in the state of Iowa. The Time of Transfer Certified Inspector Program is a prerequisite for people with fewer than two years of experience, and this course fulfills that need. This is an introductory course that is ideal for those who are new to the industry.

  • You’ll need a computer, internet access, a camera, and a microphone for this project.
  • Click here to register online or call 515-964-6800 to register over the telephone.
  • to 4:00 p.m.
  • Environmental Protection During the workshop, students will learn about soil, site assessments, and perc tests that are in compliance with Iowa Code, Chapter 69.
  • Participants will gain hands-on experience running a code compliance perc test as well as understanding how to evaluate the findings of the test.
  • Make sure you’re prepared for the elements.
  • Tama County Conservation is hosting this training session for its members.
  • April 27-28, 9:00 a.m.
  • (W/Th).
  • Before you may register, you must first get a permission letter from the DNR.
  • We will meet in person to finish covering system inspections, which will include a hands-on TOT inspection to show knowledge and a final test on Day 2.

To register for a class, you must first obtain clearance from the DNR. Click here to register online or call 515-964-6800 to register over the telephone.


10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. on February 9 (Thursday). Ankeny, Iowa’s DMACC ​​


May 10 (Wednesday) 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. In person, date to be determined ​​​ ​

SUMMER: June, July, August

7th of June (Tuesday): 9:00am-4:30pm Ankeny, Iowa’s DMACC July 12 (Tuesday): 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Ankeny, Iowa’s DMACC August 9 (Tuesday) 9:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Ankeny, Iowa’s DMACC

Private Septic Systems

Local boards of health in Iowa are responsible for the regulation of sewage systems servicing four or fewer residences or fewer than 15 individuals, while the Iowa Department of Natural Resources is responsible for the regulation of larger (public) systems. When executing their duties, counties must adhere to the minimal state requirements established by the Iowa Department of Natural Resources. It is the Iowa Department of Natural Resources’ concurrent power to mandate compliance with the state’s minimum criteria for onsite wastewater treatment and disposal if counties fail to adopt or enforce state regulations for smaller systems.

In their most basic form, these guidelines are a prescriptive code that specifies design criteria for each different kind of secondary treatment system that is permissible.

Licensing and Certification:

Those certified by the Iowa DNR to examine septic systems at the time of transfer are allowed to conduct inspections on buildings with private sewage systems at the time of sale. Please read theTime of Transferwebpage for further information on certification for time of transfer inspectors. Additionally, the Iowa Department of Natural Resources is in charge of licensing commercial septic tank pumpers and cleaners. Visit theSeptic Tank Pumpingwebpage for additional information about obtaining a license to operate a septic tank pumping and cleaning business.


Because counties bear a great deal of responsibility in this area, the Iowa Department of Natural Resources (DNR) conducts an annual training session for incoming county sanitarians. The Iowa Department of Natural Resources regularly collaborates with counties to develop their law enforcement programs and train their employees. As part of a collaboration with Des Moines Area Community College (DMACC), the Iowa Department of Natural Resources is developing a training center and curriculum for onsite (private) wastewater systems.

The Onsite Wastewater Training Center of Iowa, which is located on the DMACC Ankeny campus, contains a number of exhibits showcasing the latest in onsite wastewater technologies.

Private septic systems in Iowa are covered by the Iowa Onsite Wastewater Association (IOWWA), which also offers training opportunities and information on the subject.


Individuals who wish to repair insufficient onsite sewer systems can apply for funding through a loan program. If you would like further information on individual septic system loans, please visit the following websites: OSWAP Loan Program and USDA Rural Development

See also:  How To Know Septic Tank Is Backed Up? (Perfect answer)

Iowa Administrative Code Chapters regarding septic systems and onsite wastewater:

Septic Tank Cleaners are covered in Chapter 68. On-site wastewater treatment and disposal is covered in Chapter 69. A program to assist with onsite wastewater systems is described in Chapter 93.

Helpful Links:

Overview of On-Site Wastewater Treatment for Residential Properties Diagram of a septic systemCounty Sanitarian Directory Septic Systems (Onsite/Decentralized) – United States Environmental Protection Agency The Wastewater Training Center is located on-site. Iowa Environmental Health Association is a non-profit organization dedicated to environmental health. The National Onsite Wastewater Recycling Association is a non-profit organization that promotes the recycling of waste water on-site.

Septic Regulations in Iowa

In Iowa, there are around 739 villages that are not connected to the sewage system. As a result, some were regarded too tiny for sanitary initiatives to be cost-effective and were forced to rely on privately owned septic systems to meet their needs. State and municipal boards of health, in collaboration with the Iowa Department of Natural Resources, oversee private sewage systems in the state. The whole set of rules for onsite water treatment and disposal systems, also known as on-site wastewater treatment and disposal systems, may be found in Chapter 69 of the Administrative Code.

Licensure Requirements for Septic System Contractors

Iowa septic tank cleaners are required to apply for and receive a license that allows them to engage in the cleaning and maintenance of onsite sewage systems, as well as the disposal of septage from any disposal system in the state of Iowa, before they can begin working. The Department of Natural Resources issues the licenses, which are good for one year and must be renewed each year. Applicants must submit a licensing fee as well as a waste management strategy for the next year. Vehicles that are utilized for the same purpose must also be registered in the same manner.

Installing a New Septic System

Before any work on a property to construct or install a septic system may begin, a permit from the Department of Natural Resources must be obtained from the department. In addition, any repair or alteration work is subject to the same restrictions. An application for a permit will be denied if the Board of Health determines that there is acceptable accessibility to a public sewer system. Applicants must submit an application for authorization to construct to the County Sanitarian, together with results of soil testing, a drawing of the land with approximate measurements, and the appropriate fee.

How to File a Complaint

You can file a complaint with the Iowa Department of Natural Resources.

Contact Information

The Director’s Office is located in the heart of the city.

Iowa Department of Natural Resources502 E. 9th StreetDes Moines, IA 50319-0034Iowa Department of Natural Resources

Finding a Nearby Septic Service Company

Take a look at our database of small firms that provide septic tank pumping and repair in Iowa. Contact information for the field office may be found here.


Every homeowner with a septic system that contains a peat moss bio-filter or a recirculating textile filter or an aerobic treatment unit is required to enter into a maintenance contract for the duration of the system’s life under Iowa Administrative Code (IAC), Chapter 69, Private Sewage Disposal Systems. All monitoring and service of the item must be conducted by a manufacturer’s technician, and a copy of the contract must be submitted with this department as well. You may select any qualified service provider from any jurisdiction in which you want your system maintained.

Make use of the information provided to locate the most qualified contractor for your specific requirements.

DISCLAIMER: The Story County Environmental Health Department does not and cannot advocate one specific contractor over another.

Each individual is responsible for making his or her own selection regarding which contractor to choose for the specific sort of work that is required.

Certified Installer of Onsite Wastewater Treatment Systems (CIOWTS)

You may see a list of current Certified Installers of Onsite Wastewater Treatment Systems by clicking on the link provided below the fold. This link will take you to a webpage for the IOWWA. To begin searching, enter your zip code and a mile radius around it. IOWWA’s official website


Pumpers for Septic Tanks Contractors for Septic Systems (CIOWTS Certified)

Advan-Tex Recirculating Textile Filter

Advantex is in the list of service providers (PDF)

Peat Moss Bio-filter

Ecoflo is in the list of service providers (PDF) Eco Pure is in the list of service providers (PDF)

Aerobic Treatment Unit

Treatment Systems that are Integrated (Multi-Flo, EnviroGUARD, and NAYADIC systems) Clearstream Wastewater Systems, Inc. is a privately held company that provides waste water treatment services (PDF)

Time of Transfer

Transfer Inspectors’ Reporting Period

Well Contractors

Contractors for well construction in your area might be located by conducting an online search.


Fill out and submit a Story County Septic Contractor License Agreement by clicking on the link provided below: Contractor License Agreement (PDF)

Licensure – Contractor Licenses

All plumbing and mechanical contractors in Iowa are required to be licensed with the board and additionally registered with the Iowa Division of Labor, according to state law. For the purposes of the Plumbing and Mechanical Systems Board, a “contractor” is defined as a person or entity who provides plumbing, mechanical, HVAC, refrigeration, sheet metal, or hydronic systems services on a contractual basis and who is compensated a predetermined amount for those services under the terms of the contract.

Contractors who do not perform plumbing or mechanical work but who are required to be registered with the Iowa Division of Labor can do so by using this link, which will take them to the appropriate website.

Contractor Requirements

You can download an application for a contractor license at the bottom of this page, or call the Board office at 1-866-280-1521 to request that one be sent to you. Submission of the application is possible online. There will be an extra $25 cost for paper applications, in addition to the regular application price. The following are the general prerequisites for obtaining a contractor’s license:

  • It is necessary to be at least 18 years old. A complete explanation from the applicant must accompany any proof of criminal convictions relating to the practice of the profession. It is necessary to file an application and pay the necessary fees. Contractors must present the necessary bond and information in order to be awarded a Division of Labor Contractor Registration Number. A proper unemployment insurance number is required even if there are no employees on your payroll
  • The applicant must furnish the board with proof that he or she maintains a permanent place of business.

In addition, applicants must fulfill the criteria for public liability insurance, a surety bond, and a Master of Record, which are detailed below.

Public Liability Insurance Requirement

If an applicant is seeking approval, the board will need proof of a public liability insurance policy issued by a company allowed to do business in Iowa with a minimum coverage level of $500,000 to be submitted. Specifically, the certificate sent to the board of directors must state that any cancellation of the public liability insurance policy must be done so in writing and within ten days of the board’s receipt of the notice.

  • The applicant must present documentation to the board that he or she individually purchased the insurance (for example, Mary Smith DBA Mary Smith Plumbing if the applicant conducts the contracting firm as a sole proprietorship). The applicant must provide the board with evidence that the insurance policy was obtained by the entity and that the insurance policy covers all plumbing or mechanical work performed by the entity
  • The certificate holder must be listed as the Iowa Plumbing and Mechanical Systems Board, 321 E. 12th St., Des Moines, Iowa 50319

Surety Bond Requirement

Evidence of a surety bond issued by a company that is licensed to do business in this state in the amount of at least $5,000 is required of all applicants. According to the board’s rules, every surety bond offered by an entity must state that it will not cancel its bond until it has supplied the board with 10 days written notice of the cancellation. In this state, a performance bond is defined as a bond signed by a business organization that is licensed to conduct business in this state that ensures that a contractor will completely fulfill the contract and that the contractor will not violate the contract.

  • Customer names must be specified as the obligee for the bond in order for the bond to be valid. It can’t possibly be the state of Iowa or the board of directors. Many bonding companies have had their bonds issued using language such as “licensee’s Iowa clients” or “person(s) damaged by Principal’s violation of construction contract.” If your bonding agency has any queries, please do not hesitate to contact us. The applicant must present documentation to the board that he or she personally secured the surety bond if they are operating their contracting firm as a sole proprietorship. For those who conduct their contractor company as employees or owners of a legal organization, they must provide to the board documentation demonstrating that they secured a surety bond on their behalf and that the surety bond covers all plumbing and mechanical work that the entity does.

Master of Record Requirement

In Iowa Code chapter 105, a “master of record” is defined as an individual who holds an active master license and is responsible for the proper design, installation, and repair of plumbing, mechanical, HVAC-refrigeration, sheet metal, or hydronic systems. A “master of record” is also defined as an individual who is actively in charge of the plumbing, mechanical, HVAC-refrigeration, sheet metal, or hydronic work performed by a contractor. An applicant must provide the board with evidence that the applicant currently holds an active master license issued under Iowa Code chapter 105 or that the applicant employs at least one person who currently holds an active master license issued under Iowa Code chapter 105 for each discipline in which the applicant performs work covered by chapter 105.

There is a limit on how many contractors can be managed by a master in any given discipline at any given moment, with the exception of when either the contractor or the master requests and receives clearance to serve as the master of record for more than one contractor in a given discipline.

It is permissible for an individual who holds master licenses in numerous disciplines to serve as master of record for multiple contractors, so long as the individual is only serving as master of record for one contractor in any given discipline at a time.

Changes to Master of Record

In Iowa Code chapter 105, a “master of record” is defined as an individual who holds an active master license and is responsible for the proper design, installation, and repair of plumbing, mechanical, HVAC-refrigeration, sheet metal, or hydronic systems. A “master of record” is also defined as an individual who is actively in charge of the plumbing, mechanical, HVAC-refrigeration, sheet metal, or hydronic work of a general contractor. An applicant must provide the board with evidence that the applicant currently holds an active master license issued under Iowa Code chapter 105 or that the applicant employs at least one person who currently holds an active master license issued under Iowa Code chapter 105 for each discipline in which the applicant performs chapter 105-covered work, whichever is the greater of the two.

See also:  How Big Should Septic Tank Be For 2 People? (Question)

There is a limit on how many contractors can be managed by a master in any given discipline at any given moment, with the exception of when either the contractor or the master requests and receives authority to manage more than one contractor in a given discipline.

Contractor Registration

As required by Iowa Code chapter 91C, a contractor is also required to maintain his or her contractor registration with the Iowa Division of Labor. It is important to note that these standards are distinct from those for contractor license with the Plumbing and Mechanical Systems Board (PMSB). Contractors can submit a single application for both a license (issued by the PMSB) and a contractor registration (issued by the PMSB) using the online application form or the paper application form (issued by the Iowa Division of Labor).

In addition to the licensing cost, applicants will be required to submit proof of workers’ compensation insurance coverage, proof of unemployment insurance compliance, and, in the case of out-of-state contractors, a bond in accordance with Iowa Code chapter 91C, among other things.

Unemployment Insurance Number

Even if you do not have any workers, contractors are required to get an unemployment insurance number prior to registering for contractor registration. Customer support can be reached by phone at 888-848-7442 or by email at [email protected] to acquire a UIvisit.

Workers’ Compensation Insurance Information

A contractor who employs one or more people is required to provide proof of workers’ compensation insurance coverage. A certificate of insurance with an effective date and the Division of Labor listed as a certificate holder is required in the majority of situations by the Department of Labor.

A self-insured contractor is required to submit a Certificate of Relief from the Iowa Insurance Division to the state of Iowa.

Division of Labor Out-of-State Contractor Bond

Contractors from out-of-state are required to post a $25,000.00 surety bond at the time of registration and renewal of their license. The bond must be issued by a surety firm that is licensed to do business in Iowa and must be on the out-of-state bond form that is supplied at the conclusion of this application. A letter, on the other hand, may be submitted by an out-of-state contractor who has been pre-qualified to bid on projects for the Iowa Department of Transportation. Contact the Iowa Department of Labor at [email protected] or 515-242-5871 if you have any concerns regarding the out-of-state contractor bond requirements in Iowa.

Fee Exemption

Self-employed contractors who fulfill the required criteria may submit a completed fee exemption form in lieu of making the contractor registration component of the fee payment to the Department of Transportation. To be eligible for registration without payment, a self-employed contractor must not work with or for other contractors in the same stages of construction and must not pay more than $2,000.00 per year to hire others in order to qualify for registration without payment. PLEASE NOTE: This exemption only applies to the registration element of the charge; it does not apply to the licensing portion of the price at all.

If you have any queries concerning the fee exemption, you should contact the Division of Labor.


Contractors are prohibited from knowingly allowing an apprentice employed by them to perform work covered by Iowa Code chapter 105 unless the apprentice is under the supervision of a master or journeyperson who is also employed by the contractor and who is licensed in the discipline in which the apprentice is performing such work.

Closing Contractor Business/Relinquish License

In the event that your business is shutting or has closed and you no longer require a contractor license to offer business services as defined in Iowa Code chapter 105, you may choose to voluntarily abandon your contractor license. If you decide to give up your contractor license, you will no longer be able to offer any services for which a contractor license is necessary in your state. If you subsequently discover that you require a contractor’s license, you will be required to submit a new application along with all of the necessary documentation.

Please keep in mind that this will have no effect on any other individual licenses you may hold with our office.


Applications for contractor licenses and registrations must include the fees for both the contractor license and the contractor registration. When a license application is submitted, a portion of the registration fee is sent to the Division of Labor by electronic transmission.

Everything is calculated on a pro-rata basis based on how long the license is in effect (licenses expire on June 30, 2020, and every three years thereafter). A paper application fee of $25 is also required when submitting a paper application for consideration.

Date Submitted 5/1/2020 to 12/31/2020 1/1/2021- 6/30/2021 7/1/2021 to 12/31/2021 1/1/2022- 6/30/2022 7/1/2022 to 12/31/2022 1/1/2023 – 6/30/2023
License fee* $250 $208.50 $166.75 $125 $83.25 $41.75
Registration fee $150 $125 $100 $75 $50 $25
Plus paper app fee $25 $25 $25 $25 $25 $25
Total $425 $358.50 $291.75 $225 $158.25 $91.75

*If you are applying for more than one activemaster, contractor, or journeyperson license in one or more disciplines for the same person, you may be eligible for a fee savings of 30% off the license application costs. The discount of 30% applies only to licenses that are purchased on the same day as the first license and are for the same individual. Exceptions include the paper application cost, late fines, and registration part of the charge, which are not eligible for the 30 percent reduction.

Contractor License Renewal Fees

Fees are calculated depending on the date the license initially expired, plus any late costs and paper application fees that may have been incurred. The license and registration would be good until June 30, 2020 if they were both renewed. Following is a summary of the fees that apply to contractor licenses that expired on June 30, 2017. The contractor’s licensing fee is payable in the amount of $250. *The $150 contractor registration fee is payable (unless exempt and notarized fee exempt form included) Late renewal fees are required in the amount of $100.

  1. The total amount payable for the paper application is $525.
  2. * If you are renewing more than one activemaster, contractor, or journeyperson license in one or more disciplines for the same person, you may be eligible for a financial savings of 30% off the license application costs.
  3. However, the paper application price, late fines, and the amount of the charge that is used for registration are not included in the 30 percent reduction.
  4. NOTE: If your contractor’s license has been expired for more than one year, you will not be able to renew it.
  5. For further information, please see the Fees Link.


  • If you are submitting an online license or renewal application, please read the instructions carefully before proceeding. Requesting a change of address for a business
  • Registering as a contractor with the Division of Labor
  • And applying for unemployment insurance. Contractor Bond Information for Contractors Working Outside of the State


A septic tank is a system that is meant to dispose of sewage in a safe manner. When sewage waste material is generated in rural regions, it is digested in a big tank by the action of anaerobic bacteria rather than being transported to a waste water treatment facility. The majority of septic tanks are built to function using a continuous flow approach and feature a two-part construction, with the top compartment used for settling sewage and the bottom compartment used for anaerobic disintegration of sludge in the lower compartment.

Homeowners normally need a permission to build a septic tank, and most jurisdictions require septic tank installers to be licensed or qualified in order to do the work.

Installer Certification or Licensing

Most states require that plumbers and other professionals who build or repair septic tanks be licensed or qualified before they can work on the system. A number of septic-system-related certifications are available in several states, including Texas. The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality lists residential, commercial, and drip-emitter system certifications as examples of what may be obtained. Installation, cleaning/repair, and dismantling of septic tanks are all subject to separate certification requirements in some states.

Septic Tank Professional Exam

For septic tank specialists to be able to build or repair septic systems, they must often pass a rigorous examination. The subjects included in the test vary from state to state, but they often include the following: minimum site requirements for septic tank installation, building standards, suitable connections and venting, waste disposal, and safety concerns. Septic tank professional examinations often include a review of state legislation on the issue, including enforcement measures such as fines for establishing septic systems without a valid permit or permit number.

Septic System Business License

According to the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency, certain states, such as Minnesota, require that septic system-related firms get an extra business license and bonding. It is common for businesses to be required to get and maintain liability insurance, as well as to pay yearly fees and provide documentation that at least one employee of the business holds a valid license or certification to undertake septic system repair. If you are beginning a septic tank installation business, you should make certain that you have all of the necessary insurance and that any staff you recruit have had thorough background checks.

Septic Tank Installation Permit

It is necessary to get a permission from either a state or local government entity, or from both, depending on where you reside in order to build a septic tank. In most circumstances, once you have completed an application and paid the appropriate costs, an inspector will come to your location to inspect the planned site. As soon as your application is approved, you will be provided with a list of licensed septic contractors from which to pick. In most states, septic tank licenses are valid for a period of five years.

If something goes wrong when installing a septic system without a permit, both the workers and the homeowners are put at danger.

Courses Offered

Please complete this form if your state organization is interested in seeking NAWT-sponsored training in your region.

Thank you for your cooperation. This is a request for a class to be hosted or sponsored. If you are interested in attending a course, please see our Training Tab for a list of upcoming courses.

Inspector Certificate of Completion Training

In April of 1985, the National Association of Wastewater Technicians (NAWT) was founded in Washington, DC. In order to preserve a healthy environment, the organization’s mission was to give an effective voice at the national level for the industry’s wide collection of services by providing an effective national voice. The group also claimed a wish to “disseminate information and service as a communication and education conduit for the industry,” according to its mission statement. This goal was achieved through the development and implementation of a successful national Certificate of Completion program for the inspection of individual onsite wastewater treatment (septic) systems by NAWT.

  • Over the course of the last six years, this has resulted in the training and testing of over 3,000 inspection personnel.
  • Trainers from the National Association of Women in Technology performed “train the trainer” sessions as part of this EPA-sponsored initiative, which resulted in the development of trainers in the states of California, Texas, Colorado, and Iowa.
  • Other states are attempting to develop education and Certificate of Completion programs for inspections performed at the time of sale.
  • It necessitates the inspector’s locating and identifying all of the components of the onsite wastewater treatment system.
  • This necessitates the accessibility of all system components and the opening of all system components for examination.
  • Inspectors are required to complete 8 hours of continuing education every two years in order to maintain their Certificate of Completion under the NAWT program.
  • The National Association of Women Teachers (NAWT) provides training courses at various sites around the country on a regular basis.

Call 800-236-6298 or send an email to [email protected] to enquire about bringing a training session to your region. NAWT Executive Administrator Donn Lesko may be reached at 2800 W. Higgins Rd., Suite 440, Hoffman Estates, Illinois 60169 or [email protected]

Operation and Maintenance Training Parts 1 and 2

The National Association for Wastewater Treatment is a member of the Consortium of Institutes for Decentralized Wastewater Treatment (CIDWT). The CIDWT has played an important role in the development of standard instructional materials that may be used across the country, thanks to financing from the US Environmental Protection Agency. They created a curriculum for both university students and practitioners, and then followed it up with a full handbook and set of training materials on operation and maintenance of the system.

See also:  How Big Does A Septic Tank Have To Be For 3 Bathrooms? (TOP 5 Tips)

The National Association of Women in Technology (NAWT) was involved in the development of these materials at every level.

The NAWT Board of Directors concluded that a session of this duration was not feasible for independent pumpers who were required to be away from their companies for an extended period of time during the session.

As a result, the training was divided into two parts, with the first focusing on the business aspects of operation and maintenance, and the second on the operation and maintenance required for conventional systems such as trenches, beds, mounds, and at-grades, as well as some discussion of aerobic tanks.

  1. Both portions are performed over the course of two days, with a field hands-on session and a test delivered at the conclusion of the course.
  2. As with the inspection course, the National Association of Waterworks Technicians (NAWT) will keep a record of those pumpers who have completed the Certificate of Completion tests and make that information available on their website.
  3. Call 800-236-6298 or send an email to [email protected] to enquire about bringing a training session to your region.
  4. Higgins Rd., Suite 440, Hoffman Estates, Illinois 60169 or [email protected]

Vacuum Truck Technician Training

These are the people who own or run a vacuum truck, which may be used to clean septic tanks, aerobic treatment units (ATU), holding tanks (HC), and grease traps (GRT). It is targeted primarily at company owners and employees who are just getting started in their careers and require a solid foundation of information to work from in order to complete their everyday jobs.

Even experienced operators will benefit from this one-day refresher and overview, which is provided during the course.

Topics of instruction include:

  • Pumping materials and avoiding them
  • Government restrictions
  • Truck equipment and components
  • Drive and control mechanisms
  • Basic and advanced pumping abilities and procedures
  • Loading and unloading Plans for safety and emergency response situations
  • Interaction with and education of customers
  • There are several reasons to manage these materials. vacuum and pressurization fundamentals
  • Vacuum and pressurization pumps
  • Pump truck operation basics
  • Preparing manifests and reports

During this training session, participants will be exposed to PowerPoint presentations, films, and hands-on activities with a pump truck. The program was developed with the assistance of a grant from the United States Environmental Protection Agency, with funding provided through the NAWT Education program, and in collaboration with the National Onsite Wastewater Education and Research Foundation, Inc. and the Pennsylvania Septage Management Association, among other organizations (PSMA). This course may be delivered in your state or inside your firm thanks to a “train the trainer” program designed and conducted by the PSMA.

You may get the Vacuum Truck Training online by calling 800-236-6298 for more information and directions on how to proceed.

NAWT Executive Administrator Donn Lesko may be reached at 2800 W.

Onsite Installer Certificate of Completion Professional Training

With the help of Cole Publishing, the NAWT Certificate of Completion installation program was launched in order to provide a one-day course designed exclusively for installers that could be given in a way that coordinated with Education Day at the Pumpers and Cleaners Environmental Expo. To be eligible for a Certificate of Completion, you must pass a test at the end of the course, which may be found here. Currently, the NAWT program continues to be a curriculum that focuses on the following topics:

  • Planning and appraisal of the location
  • Installation of sewage tanks and ATUs
  • Underground system installation
  • Above-ground system installation
  • Installation of pumps and pump stations
  • Media filters are being installed.

Additional material has been uploaded, which incorporates some of the CIDWT-developed installation materials, among other things. This section contains information on surveying as well as OSHA soil assessment. The National Association of Women in Technology is actively working to give the capacity to provide the NEHA Installer Credential Exams at the conclusion of the session. The National Association of Women in Technology (NAWT) will either supply the proctor for these tests or will collaborate with the program sponsors or state organizations to have a proctor approved to proctor the exams.

Since its inception, this course has been offered to more than 800 installation professionals.

The National Association of Women Teachers (NAWT) provides training courses at various sites around the country on a regular basis.

Call 800-236-6298 or send an email to [email protected] to enquire about bringing a training session to your region. NAWT Executive Administrator Donn Lesko may be reached at 2800 W. Higgins Rd., Suite 440, Hoffman Estates, Illinois 60169 or [email protected]

Septic Systems

Whether you require a new septic tank to be put or an existing tank to be changed, the skilled septic installers at Kenway Excavating can assist you. It all starts with doing a complete site investigation and recommending the most appropriate system for your requirements. Our septic professionals can provide you with a range of systems that will fit the unique demands of your location. It is critical to select the appropriate system in order to ensure effective long-term operation. You may rest assured that with our accreditation, you’ll receive counsel you can rely on.

For a free estimate or consultation, please call (319) 366-3667 right now.

Taking Proper Care to Respect Your Property

Are you looking for a septic installation company that will treat your property with respect? You may rest certain that our professionals will use extreme caution while working on your property. Everything will be done to ensure that there are as little disruptions as possible, and the site will be carefully cleaned when the service is completed. Our septic services include the following:

  • Site evaluation
  • Percolation testing
  • Excavation
  • Septic replacements
  • New septic installations
  • Septic repairs

Septic Program

This program regulates privately owned on-site waste treatment systems, provides new septic system inspections, administers the Time of Transfer (TOT) septic inspection program, and reviews waste treatment plans in accordance with rezoning and subdivision requests in Black Hawk County, among other responsibilities.

Alternative Systems

A contractor or a health officer may propose or compel the installation of an alternate septic system depending on the circumstances of the property in issue. Depending on the system, homeowners may be required to get into a maintenance contract with a septic system maintenance company that requires an annual service for their septic system. This inspection item is mandated by the Department of Natural Resources and is overseen by the Black Hawk County Sanitarian.

Septic StateLocal Regulations

  • IAC Chapter 567-68: Septic Tank Cleaners (Pumpers)
  • Black Hawk County Ordinance 8.25
  • Chapter 69: Private Sewage Disposal Systems
  • IAC Chapter 567-68: Septic Tank Cleaners (Pumpers)

Septic Permit and Approved Contractors

  • Application for a septic permit
  • A list of Time of Transfer (TOT) inspectors who have been approved
  • And a list of Certified Septic Installers.

Related Websites

  • In addition to DNR Private Septic Systems and DNR Time of Transfer, there is also the Environmental Protection Agency’s website on septic care, the Iowa Onsite Waste Water Association (IOWWA), and an inspection list for the Iowa DNR’s time of transfer.

How do I become a certified septic tank installer?

Certification Requirements at a Minimum Septic contractors who wish to be certified must be at least 18 years old, submit a completed application for certification, complete the requisite amount of classroom instruction hours, and pass a written or oral examination in the state where they wish to be certified. MinimumCertificationRequirements Septic contractors must be at least 18 years old in states that require certification. They must also submit a completed application for certification, complete the appropriate amount of classroom instruction hours, and pass a written or oral examination.

A septic system inspection and certification is provided.

In this regard, is it necessary to be certified in order to establish a septic system?

What is the process for becoming a licensed septic installer in Ontario?

On-site sewage systems were tested in 2006. Participants must register for their own test at least 21 days prior to the date of their preference for the examination.

Septic Systems

Private Septic SystemsIn Woodbury County, the Siouxland Distict Health Department holds the primary responsibility for regulation of private septic systems serving 4 homes or fewer or less than 15 people. Siouxland Distict Health oversees any individuals, homeowners, or contractors installing systems to ensure compliance with the minimum state standards developed by the DNR.Chapter 69: Onsite Wastewater Treatment and DisposalThe DNR standards specify siting and construction requirements relative to the primary and secondary treatment portions of the sewage disposal systems as well as minimum depth to groundwater, minimum separation distances to potable water sources, and maximum percolation rates for soils.

The DNR standards are primarily a prescriptive code giving design criteria for each alternative type of secondary treatment system permitted.

Currently, septic systems require both a pre-construction site inspection and post-construction inspection prior to back filing to verify compliance with code requirements.Click hereto obtain an application for a Private Septic System for Woodbury County.Time of Transfer InspectionsIowa’s time of transfer inspection law went into effect July 1, 2009.

The primary purpose of this program is to eliminate systems with no secondary treatment.

If the septic system is working properly when inspected, it will not have to be upgraded to meet today’s code.

These systems are less hazardous than those that have no secondary treatment and carry raw sewage to a ditch or stream.Time of Transfer FAQResources:Iowa Department of Natural Resources Environmental Protection Agency Iowa Onsite Waste Water Association

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *