How Do I Get A Septic Tank Permit Burke County North Carolina? (TOP 5 Tips)

  • If your home was built in the past five years or less, the local DHEC office may have a copy of your permit on file. Any person or organization — whether they own the property or not — can request a copy of a septic tank permit from the local office.

How long is a septic permit good for in NC?

If a septic permit has been issued, the permit is good for 5 years.

Can I install my own septic system in NC?

QUESTION: Is a homeowner allowed to install his or her own system? ANSWER: A homeowner may install the system for a property that will used as his or her primary residence as long as the system is gravity fed, pipe and gravel system and is limited to two systems within a five year period.

What is a septic permit in NC?

The 2nd septic system permit is an application for a Construction Authorization (CA). Basically, this permit allows the septic system to be constructed and installed on the site. Many times this permit can be granted at the same time the IP is granted, but not always.

How much does a perk test cost in NC?

Perc testing typically costs $750 to $1,850 or $1,300 on average. On the high end, you might pay as much as $3,000 depending on local regulation and the size of the leach field or infiltration basin needed. A basic assessment costs $150 to $300 for a hand dug hole without specialized equipment.

Can you expand a septic tank?

ENLARGING THE SYSTEM The increase from three to five bedrooms will require more septic tank capacity (usually 1.5 times), and that will involve replacing the current tank or adding an additional tank in series. The drainfield or other soil treatment component (mound, at-grade) will need to be enlarged by two-thirds.

Do I need a certificate for my septic tank?

The General Binding Rules were designed to simplify the regulation of small sewage discharges. Septic tanks and small sewage treatment plants no longer need to be registered and there is no legal requirement to keep records of maintenance (although this is advisable).

What license do I need to install septic system in NC?

All septic system contractors must certified by the North Carolina On-Site Wastewater Contractor and Inspectors Certification Board.

Does NC require septic inspection?

Septic system installers and inspectors MUST now be certified by the North Carolina On-site Wastewater Contractors and Inspectors Certification Board (NCOWCICB) in order to install or inspect septic systems in NC. The legislation does NOT require a septic system inspection as part of a real estate transaction.

Do I need permission to replace a septic tank?

It doesn’t matter how old your existing system is; you can have it upgraded, renovated or replaced entirely and you won’t require consent from your local authority to get the job done.

What role does the soil around a septic tank have on its function?

The soil accepts, treats, and disperses wastewater as it percolates through the soil, ultimately discharging to groundwater. If the drainfield is overloaded with too much liquid, it can flood, causing sewage to flow to the ground surface or create backups in toilets and sinks.

Environmental Health

When it comes to public health and environmental protection, the Environmental Health Section of the Burke County Health Department serves as the local government arm of the North Carolina Department of Environment, Health, and Natural Resources (DEHNR). The section is responsible for the enforcement of state laws and rules pertaining to the public health and environmental protection of county citizens. In one or both of the two primary program areas, every specialist is certified in one or both of the two areas.

Environmental Health Specialist

As a graduate of an approved 4-year college or university with a minimum of 30 semester hours of study in the physical or biological sciences, an Environmental Health Specialist is qualified to practice in this field. This position requires a Registered Sanitarian (RS) to have at least two years of expertise in environmental health laws and regulations, as well as to have passed the Registered Sanitarian Exam. Each specialist must be certified by the Department of Environmental Health and Natural Resources (DEHNR) for the specific environmental health program in which they work.

Burke County Permits (North Carolina)

The Burke County Clerk’s Office is responsible for the preservation of public records for the county, which includes crucial papers such as birth certificates and marriage licenses, as well as Burke County permits and other documents. Bureau of County Permits clerks in Burke County, North Carolina may be responsible for the filing and issue of county permits, which may include construction and land use permit applications as well as access and utility permit applications and special event permit applications.

They may also be necessary for a variety of land development purposes, including temporary events, reserving public property, and a variety of other land development applications.

Burke County ClerkMorganton NCPO Box 21928680828-764-9354 Burke County ClerkMorganton NCPO Box 21928680828-764-9354 Burke County Clerk of Court Morganton NC201 South Green Street28655828-433-3200 Burke County Clerk of Court Morganton NC201 South Green Street286558 A Burke County Town or City Hall is responsible for providing municipal services to the residents of their city, which may include granting and submitting building permits.

  1. These county building licenses may be necessary for a variety of construction projects, including renovations, demolitions, repairs, land development, and zoning compliance, among others.
  2. For more information, contact the Burke County Planning Department.
  3. Town and city halls often allow internet access to their county permit data, however this is not always the case.
  4. The phone number is 28-879-2120.

Septic & Wells

Program for Septic Systems|Program for Water Wells

For new applications visit ourSeptic System Permits pageto view your options. Applications and permit requests may be emailed [email protected]. You may contact the department at 828-426-8579.

On-site Waste Water (Septic) Program North Carolina general statutes state that a person owning or controlling a residence, place of business, or place of public assembly shall provide an approved sanitary sewage system. As a result, the Commission for Health Services has compiled rules and regulations addressing the placement, design, installation, and maintenance of subsurface ground absorption sewage disposal systems. The Environmental Health program at Caldwell County Health Department acts as agents of the NC Department of Health and Human Services to ensure that these rules and regulations are enforced and the public’s health is protected.

See also:  What Kind Of Trees Can You Plant Near A Septic Tank? (Question)

Lenoir NC 28645).

Lenoir NC 28645).

The Environmental Health Specialist will make a site evaluation based on the following factors:

  • Soil qualities, soil moisture, and soil depth
  • Restricted horizons
  • Available space
  • And topography and landscape location

A Septic Improvement Permit and an Authorization to Construct a subsurface sewage disposal system are granted once the property has been examined and authorized. Caldwell County Central Permitting Office requires the Authorization to Construct in order to issue construction permits to individuals. Once the septic system has been built, it is subjected to another examination to confirm that it has been installed in line with the laws and regulations of the state of North Carolina. More information may be found in the following documents:

  • Compliance Visit Form
  • Authorized Agent Form
  • Site Preparation Instructions for New Septic Systems and Wells
  • Septic Permit Application
  • Septic System Rules
  • Request for Septic System Record Form
  • Septic System Record Request Form

For further information on the on-site wastewater (septic) program, please see the following websites from the North Carolina Department of Public Health:

  • Administrative Rules for the Environmental Health Services Section
  • On-site Wastewater Contractor Certification Board
  • Environmental Health Services Section Administrative Rules

Return to the top of the page

Water and Well Program

In order to get a permit for a new well installation, well repair, or well abandonment, you must go to the Caldwell County Health Department Central Permitting office. A fee, as well as a site plan for the planned property modifications for new wells, are required for new well applications. In accordance with North Carolina laws and rules, the Environmental Health Specialist will ensure that your well is installed, repaired, or abandoned in accordance with the laws and rules that were established to protect our ground water resources from contamination for current well users and future generations.

The EHS has highlighted the position of a well in order to offer protection from potential sources of pollution in the area.

Inspection of the grout The EHS will return to your site throughout the building of the well to ensure that the well is properly placed and that the well is properly grouted.

The final power cannot be given and the well cannot be put into operation until the EHS issues a certificate of completion confirming that the wellhead has been authorized by the EHS. Water samples were taken.

  • According to 15A NCAC 18A.3802, water samples for bacteriologic and inorganic chemical contamination must be collected by CCHD within 30 days of the issuance of the COC. It is the legal responsibility of the well owner to provide access to a source of power for the purpose of collecting the required water samples. If at all possible, CCHD will collect water samples at the same time as the wellhead inspection. In the event that this is not possible, CCHD relies on the well owner to notify the Health Department when power has been restored to the pump and the chlorine used to disinfect the well is no longer detectable in the well water
  • Once the water samples have been analyzed by the lab, CCHD will notify the well owner of the results by phone and send a copy of the lab report, as well as information and recommendations regarding the sample test results.

More information on Wells can be found in the documents listed below:

  • Well Permit Application
  • How to Disinfect Your Water Well
  • Well Permit Application
  • Well Head that has been properly constructed
  • Site Preparation Instructions for New Well System
  • Request for Water Sample

Well Disinfection Recommendations: Laws and regulations are in place:

  • Title 15A of the North Carolina Administrative Code (Well Construction Standards)
  • Rules Governing the Protection of Water Supplies at Permitting Establishments- Title 15A. North Carolina Administrative Code Section 18A.1700
  • Private Drinking Water Well Sampling
  • Permitting and Inspection of Private Drinking Water Wells
  • North Carolina House Bill 2873 (Well Statutes)

For further information on the water and well program, please see the following websites from the North Carolina Department of Public Health.

  • Protecting water on-site
  • Using private wells as a resource

Return to the top of the page

Foothills Soil Consulting, LLC

A List of Frequently Asked Questions What is the role of a soil scientist? What is the purpose of a septic permit? What is a “perc” test and how does it work? What is an onsite sewage treatment system? Is it possible for me to create my own septic system? I’m considering about buying a property, and I’d want to know how to find out about the septic system. I’m interested in purchasing some land; how can I learn out about the soils and whether or not it would “perk”? What is the best way to acquire a soil test for my garden?

One who specializes in soil morphology (i.e., the organization and features of the layers, or horizons, in a soil profile) as well as soil chemical, biological, and/or physical properties is known as a soilscientist.

Therefore, soil scientists are frequently found working in a variety of agricultural-related fields, such assoil fertility and soil/water relations (as in irrigation), or in environmental-related fields such as land disposal of animal and municipalwaste, onsite wastewater (as in septic systems), mine spoil reclamation, and hazardous waste sites.

  • What is the purpose of a septic permit?
  • This is necessary in order to avoid the spread of sewage-related diseases as well as the contamination of neighboring waterways.
  • The use of wastewater for industrial operations or for watering non-direct consumption crops, lawns, and gardens, as well as the application of waste to the soil are other choices.
  • According to North Carolina law, all permits pertaining to wastewater treatment and disposal must be obtained before construction may commence.
  • Obtaining a “upgrade permit,” which essentially indicates that the property has an appropriate amount of suitable soil to support a septic system with a certain design daily flow, is the first step.
  • Following that, a “authority to construct” (also known as a “AC”) is granted.
  • Before any work can commence, a “AC” must be installed.
See also:  How To Open Gas Tank On Septic Truck My Summer Car? (Question)

Obtaining a “OP” is necessary prior to receiving a certificate of occupancy from the building and inspections department.

Percolation test (also known as “perc” or “perk”) is a type of soil test in which a hole is drilled in the ground and the rate at which water travels out of the hole and into the soil is measured is called a “perc” or “perk” test.

Instead, a soil study is used to establish the appropriateness of the soil and design criteria such as the size and type of the drainfield.

The most significant advantage is that it is more dependable and enables for a wider variety of difficulties to be taken into consideration.

However, regardless of whether the soil is wet or dry, the look (or morphology) of the soil will reveal whether or not there is a seasonal water table.

In some cases, in addition to the soil research, an exact onsite measurement of the percolation rate, or permeability, of the soil is required as well.

What is an onsite sewage treatment system?

On-site treatment and disposal eliminates the need to carry waste water to and from a central wastewater treatment facility.

They often, but not always, treat and/or dispose of wastewater by using the soils on the site.

Typically, wastewater is routed via a septic tank before being discharged.

One advantage is that it allows the solid and liquid components of waste to be separated.

The liquid portion is referred to as effluent, and it is described more below.

The wastewater from the septic tank is discharged into the drainfield.

The sewage slowly spreads through the pipes and sinks into the ground.

In addition, the soil beneath the pipes provides an ideal environment for the growth of anaerobic bacteria and other species to thrive.

Having been cleansed, wastewater continues to travel through the soil, eventually returning to the groundwater.

For example, a pump may be required to transport effluent from the septic tank to the drainfield.

Surface application and water reuse are two types of onsite wastewater solutions that can be used.

Reuse of water is employed in situations where septic systems are not an option or when landowners wish to benefit from the reuse of their wastewater.

Because of the drought circumstances that have prevailed in the Carolinas for the past few years, this alternative has gained in favor.


Environmental health professionals who work for municipal health agencies, soil scientists, system designers, and engineers are examples of those who fall into this category in North Carolina.

I’m thinking about purchasing a home.

There should be a copy of the permit on file with your local health department if the house you are considering has an existing septic system.

You may reach out to your local health department by looking it up in the phone book, which is often listed under the county name as “Health Department” or “Environmental Health.” You may also obtain the contact information for your local health department on the NCDENR Onsite Water Protection webpage, which can be found at the following link: The agent or owner of the property you are considering may also be able to provide you with information regarding the septic system or a copy of the permit.

  • I’m looking to purchase some land.
  • Visit the USDA Web Soil Survey and Soil Data Mart sites (links to which may be found under the “About Soilssection of the “Resources” page of this website) to obtain preliminary information.
  • Inclusions, or different soilareas, of up to three acres can be found in county level soil surveys, which are conducted on tiny scale maps (for example, 1″=2000′) and can have inclusions, or dissimilar soilareas, of up to three acres.
  • Knowing this information before purchasing land or an individual piece of property may save you a great deal of money and time.
  • The soil lab of the North Carolina Department of Agriculture will test your soil for a small price.

To find your local Cooperative Extension office, browse in the phone book under “County Government,” “NC Cooperative Extension Service,” or “NC Cooperative Extension Service.” In addition, it may be found under the heading “North Carolina State Government” as “Cooperative Extension Service.” Detailed instructions for obtaining a soil sample may be found on the “Resources” page of this website under the “About Soils and Agriculture” section, which has a link to the “About Soils and Agriculture” portion of this website.

FAQs: North Carolina Permitting

There are several types of home improvement projects that need the acquisition of a permit before beginning work, including the demolition of a building, the installation of a plumbing system in some buildings, and the construction of a shed in some circumstances. Permits provide the city or county the authority to inspect your property and ensure that the structure will be safe and well constructed for its tenants before they are issued. They’re also interested in assisting you in protecting the worth of your home as well as the values of your neighbors’ homes.

The following are examples of additional expenses associated with failing to get a permit from your city or county:

  • An increase in the cost of acquiring a permit, which may include penalties, fees, additional service fees, and court expenses
  • As well as the denial of your homes insurance to cover concerns that develop as a result of non-permitted building

When a Permit is Needed

The North Carolina State Construction Code requires that a permission be obtained for any auxiliary building, such as a shed, that has a dimension greater than 12 feet in length or width. However, a 12’x12′ shed does not generally necessitate a permit. Each county or local municipality conducts this procedure in a unique way, and each has a separate cost structure to charge.

See also:  How Many Sprinklers Can A New Septic Tank Support?

How to Apply for a Permit

Every municipality has a unique approach to the permit application procedure. However, there are some fundamentals. The first step is to complete the application form. Some of the most prevalent uses we encounter are as follows: In certain cases, you will be required to file both a municipal and a county permit, while in some cases they will be merged. If you live inside the city borders of a medium to big city, the majority of the time the permitting procedure is handled by the county or the city.

These are often comprised of building and set-up blueprints, which demonstrate how the shed will be erected, set-up, and secured to the ground.

It is possible that you will be asked to submit a site plan.

  • Dimensions of the new ancillary structure that will be constructed
  • The structure’s location in relation to the property’s limits
  • Setbacks will vary depending on the city or county.
  • The dimensions and position of other structures on the land, such as your home
  • The term impermeable surfaces includes anything from paved roads to sidewalks.

If you are on a septic system, you may be needed to submit a separate application and pay an additional cost in order to evaluate and verify the position of the septic tank and lines in relation to the structure. In certain cases, a shed can be put on the repair field rather than on the septic lines; however, this is only possible if the building is movable and can be moved in the event of septic line repair requirements. After the shed has been authorized, it must undergo a “final inspection” before it may be used.

This inspection consists of an on-site evaluation by a building inspector to ensure that the construction, installation, and placement of the building were all completed in accordance with the approved application documents.

It is also necessary for the inspector to have access to all documents, which includes the application, plans, permission cards that have been provided, and the authorized permit.


It is dependent on the situation. The issuance of some licenses can occur at the same time (within an hour) as the submission of the application, while others might take up to two weeks. If a septic inspection is required, this may take longer and will be carried out in partnership with the local Health Department in your region.

How much does it cost?

Once again, it is dependent. There is normally an application cost, which typically runs from $50 to $150, as well as an extra charge that is dependent either on the square footage of the structure or on the price of the building, in addition to the application fee and additional charge. If a septic inspection is also necessary, there will be an additional price, which is normally between $100 and $200. These are merely our estimates, and we urge that you verify with your local officials before acquiring an auxiliary structure to confirm the accuracy of our figures.

Who applies for the permit?

The homeowner submits an application for a building permit at The Shed Depot of North Carolina. The information provided is mostly focused on the property owned by the house owner. Unless “site specific” Engineered drawings are required, The Shed Depot can typically offer the appropriate building construction schematics (plans) at no additional expense. We will also be delighted to answer any queries that your Inspections Department may have about these plans as well.

What if my shed is 12’x12’ or smaller?

Normally, building permits are not necessary; however, certain local municipalities still demand a “zoning” permission in order to construct certain structures. Typically, all that is required is a site plan and a charge. Especially in older downtown areas and historic districts, this is more prone to occur.

How will my shed be set up?

All sheds with a length or width more than 12 feet must be secured to the ground and incorporate hurricane clips or some other manner of attaching the roof securely to the walls, if applicable. The Shed Depot of North Carolina includes mobile home ground anchors and hurricane clips with every shed that is more than 12 feet in length or width. Our Engineered Plans also provide information on the location of leveling piers.

What if my shed is portable or Rent-To-Own?

All sheds, including “portable” and “rent-to-own” sheds, are subject to these permission requirements. Perhaps this was not the case in previous years, but in our experience, permits should be sought regardless of whether the shed is “portable” or purchased on a Rent-to-Own payment plan.

Do I have to get a permit?

The Shed Depot of North Carolina does not require you to obtain a permit; instead, we just inform consumers when permits are necessary and how to obtain one. The duty for obtaining a permission is solely the responsibility of the consumer. It is the homeowner’s obligation to secure the appropriate Homeowners Association approvals and to check with their local permitting authority to see whether or not a permit is required for the project. When applying for a permit, it is important to remember that various towns and counties have different regulations that must be taken into consideration.

As an option, we can also build and put up our sheds utilizing concrete block leveling piers and ground anchors for buildings bigger than 12 feet in any dimension, at no additional price, in order to comply with local building codes.

If you have any further concerns concerning the permission procedure, pre-delivery planning, or anything else, please see ourFAQ or get in touch with us directly. Alternatively, you may complete the form below and you will be contacted as soon as possible.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *