How Close Can You Build To A Septic Tank In Wood Countywisconsin? (Correct answer)

How Far Does A Septic Tank Have To Be From A House

  • Well, when it comes to having either a septic tank or field, you need to have it placed at least five feet away from your home. However, most tanks are placed even farther, commonly around 10 feet away in most cases and the leach fields are placed at around twenty feet away from the home.

How close can you build to a septic tank in Wisconsin?

✓ 8 feet from a swimming pool, culvert or ditch. ✓ 25 feet from a septic or holding tank.

How close can you build to a septic tank?

“Septic tanks should be sited at least 7m from any habitable parts of buildings, and preferably downslope.”

How close to a septic tank can I build a garage?

– A full foundation must be 10 feet from the septic tank and 20 feet from the leaching area. – A slab foundation such as a garage must be 10 feet from the septic tank and 10 feet from the leaching area.

How far should a septic system be from the house?

Local codes and regulations that stipulate the distance of the septic tank from the house vary depending on the locale, but the typical minimum distance is 10 feet.

How close can you build to a well in Wisconsin?

A 5′ setback is required from any structure to the exterior surface of a holding or treatment tank. A 15′ setback is required from the drainfield of a septic system.

Can I drill my own well in Wisconsin?

All wells must be constructed by a licensed water well driller, or a registered rig operator working under the supervision of a licensed water well driller. The only exception is that a property owner can drive or drill a well on their own property. This applies to both drilled wells and driven point wells.

How close can a sewage treatment plant be to a dwelling?

The Sewage Treatment Plant must be sited more than 7m from habitable property. The soakaway must be a minimum of 10 metres from a watercourse, 15 metres from a building and 50 metres from a borehole or spring.

Do you need planning permission for a septic tank?

The short answer is yes. You will need planning permission from a local authority in order to have a septic tank installed, no matter if it’s at your own home or on a business site.

Can you build a shed over a leach field?

It is never recommended to build a structure over any portion of your septic system. No permanent structures should be built over any portion of the system, but at least in this case the homeowner can pump out their septic tank.

Can you put a garden over a septic field?

Planting over a septic leach field (drain field) is possible if it is done with care. If you have limited space on your property where you can garden, the leach field may be the only spot for landscaping. Vegetable gardening over a leach field is not recommended.

Can you build a patio over a leach field?

A common question homeowners ask when building a patio is, “can you build a patio over a septic field?” The answer to this question is no. The reason for this is that the weight of the concrete in the foundation will cause too much pressure on your septic system and can lead to flooding or a damaged septic tank.

How close can leach field be to house?

Common guidelines require at least 50′ clearance distance between a well and a septic system tank or 150′ between a well and a septic drainfield or leaching bed but you will see that different authorities may recommend different distances. Local soil and rock conditions can make these “rules of thumb” unreliable.

How deep should a septic tank be?

Septic tanks are typically rectangular in shape and measure approximately 5 feet by 8 feet. In most cases, septic tank components including the lid, are buried between 4 inches and 4 feet underground.

How deep is the septic tank outlet pipe?

After the solids settle out, effluent leaves the septic tank through the outlet pipe and flows to the drain field. The outlet pipe should be approximately 3 inches below the inlet pipe.

Sanitary Program – Planning & Zoning

Watershed regulations like as the Wisconsin Uniform Plumbing Code and the Wood County702 Private Sewage System Ordinance provide the foundation for the installation of septic systems, holding tanks, and other systems meant to treat domestic wastewater in Wisconsin. Maintenance needs vary depending on the type of system that has been installed as well as the strength and amount of each household waste. It is the responsibility of the Wood County Planning and Zoning Office to ensure that septic systems are properly regulated and inspected, as well as to issue sanitary permits and enforce any applicable codes that may be necessary.

  • Wood County702 Private Sewage System Ordinance
  • Sanitary Permit Search
  • Septic System Triennial Program Fee
  • Wood County702 Private Sewage System Ordinance

If you have any questions about the sanitary program, you can reach out to the Department of Planning and Zoning at (715) 421-8466. The next section contains thorough information about sanitary permits and upkeep.

Sanitary Permit Information

Septic permits are issued to enable for the construction, repair, or adjustment of a septic system in accordance with the terms and conditions of the approved permit application. When you use expert soil testing, site appropriate design, and high-quality installation, the life expectancy of your septic system will be significantly increased. The soil and groundwater characteristics stated on the soil test for the land, as well as any designs submitted with the application, serve as the foundation for a sanitary permit application.

  • A Guide for Citizens Regarding Sanitary Permits
  • Firms that provide Master Plumber and Certified Soil Testing services in Wood County
  • POWTS Maintainer List

Private Onsite Waste Treatment Systems (POWTS) Inventory and Soils GIS map layers, which are intended for reference purposes, may be obtained at the Wood County Land Records Viewer, which is accessible over the internet.


  • Wood County POWTS Plan Review Application
  • County Sanitary Permit Application
  • Wood County Sanitary Permit Application

Financial Assistance Program

It is a state-funded program that gives subsidies to households and business owners that need to repair or renovate a private onsite wastewater treatment system that is in need of replacement or rehabilitation.

  • Brochure for the Wisconsin Fund Grant Program
  • Grant Owners Application Form for Wisconsin Fund Grants

Please contact the Planning and Zoning Department at (715) 421-8466 if you are aware of any additional funding options that may be available.

Septic Maintenance

To preserve inspection and pumping information for all systems, as well as to encourage good system maintenance that contributes to safeguarding groundwater and surface water quality, the maintenance program’s goal is to: Maintaining your investment will guarantee that you, as the owner, may avoid having to pay for costly repairs in the future. In order to keep your family and the environment safe, regular septic system maintenance is essential. This is accomplished by keeping hazardous germs and bacteria from accessing the water table or ground surface.

  • Septic System Basics
  • Sample Septic Maintenance Notice
  • Licensed Septic Tank Pumpers Active in Wood County
  • Septic System Troubleshooting
See also:  What Are The Septic Tank Issues In Sw Bend? (Best solution)

Wood County Information – Footer Section

Achieving Strength in Wood and County, as well as Sanitary and Permit Programs This is a powerful guide for citizens. /strong The month of March, 2011 A publication of thestrong Wood /strongstrong County /strongPlanningZoning Office, 400 Market Street, Wisconsin Rapids, WI 54495-8095, Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin What is the best place to /strongBegin? Wisconsin’s Uniform Plumbing Code provides the regulatory strong to /strong framework for the installation of septic systems, holding tanks, and other systems designedstrong to /strongto manage liquid waste.

  • The objective of the sanitary permit isstrong to /strongallow the construction, repair, or alteration of the septic system in accordance with the terms of the permit application that was accepted.
  • The purpose of this citizen’s handbook isstrong to /strong to educate the public.
  • Strong to /strong was the first step that was necessary.
  • Strongly recommend that you consult with a certified soil tester (CST)strong to assess the soil conditions of your property.
  • The CST should conduct a comprehensive examination of the soils throughout the whole acreage of the site.
  • The CST should provide you with a copy of the soil report form when they have completed their job.
  • Step Two is a powerful step.



Holding tank agreements or septic tank maintenance affidavits that have been recorded.

Payment of the proper permit application fee.

Strong to /strong Installing A Private Sewage System The plumber completes the permit application paperwork and submits them to /strong/ the city.

The site will be provided with a copy of the approved sanitary permit application form as well as a sanitary permit cardstrong to place at the site when it has been authorized.

REVIEW OF THE STATE PLAN All of the septic system designs APART FROM HOLDING TANKS AND CONVENTIONAL SYSTEM DESIGNS, all other types of designs must be submitted to the state for assessment and approval before they may be implemented.

The proposals must be reviewed and approved by the State within 15 business daysstrong.

If the plans are not complete, further evaluation will be postponed until the needed information or corrections are obtained or made.

Notably, around one-fifth of the state’s soils are unsuitable for conventional, below-grade septic systems and will need the use of an above-grade kind of design. 1

Building & Zoning

If you have any issues about permits, zoning, setbacks, variances, home occupations, or the use of property, please contact the building inspector/zoning administrator. Inspections: Home inspection service: $300; well inspection service: $100 with water sample ($50 without); septic inspection service: $100

When is a permit required?

It is necessary to get a building permit for any new construction, extensions, or structural adjustments to existing structures, including ancillary buildings and swimming pools, among other things. If you are installing or relocating a fixture, you will need a plumbing permit. Installing or replacing a furnace, wood burning stove, fireplace, central air conditioning system, or making changes to the distribution or fuel supply system would need obtaining a heating permit from the local building department.

Structure permits are required if a building is used for any of the following purposes:

  • Erected
  • sReconstructed
  • sImproved
  • sEnlarged
  • sAltered
  • sConverted
  • sRepaired
  • sMoved
  • sDemolished

Other items requiring permits include the installation of new siding, new windows, decks, fences, and reroofing, among others. Permit applications may be found on the FormsApplications page.

Vilas County, WI

The Vilas County Zoning and Planning Department oversees all development, land use, and land disturbance in Vilas County’s unincorporated regions, including residential, commercial, and industrial. Included are the placement and usage of structures; the use of property; the filling, grading, and removal of vegetation from shorelands; floodplain development; gravel pits and quarries; as well as wireless communications towers, to name a few examples. In addition, the Department is responsible for regulating private sewage disposal (septic systems, privies, and so on) across the county.

More extensive information about certain programs may be found by selecting one of the tabs above.

Consult with your local town officials to see whether or not your project is authorized under the town’s ordinances and regulations.

  • A Zoning Permit Application for Vilas County
  • (This form is used for Zoning Permit Applications, Demolition Permit Applications, and Shoreland Alteration Permit Applications in the county). Web-based mapping service for the county of Vilas
  • Wisconsin DSPS eSLA
  • Wisconsin DSPS eSLA License/Credential Lookup
  • Management of Ascent Permits

Don’t forget to call the Digger’s Hotline at least three (3) days before you plan to conduct any land disturbance activities. To store and access zoning and sanitary permits, Vilas County has switched to the Ascent Permit Management Program, which is available online. Using this tool, users will be able to view information on all permits on file, as well as scanned images of all permits issued after June 1, 2016, as well as all other permits issued after January 1, 1985 in the towns of Arbor Vitae and Cloverland, as well as the counties of Lac du Flambeau and Wisconsin.

Permits can be found by clicking here.

Instructions on how to find for zoning permits based on an address Instructions on how to look for zoning permits by parcel number are provided. Announcements

  • Plumbers, soil testers, and POWTS inspectors are unable to obtain continuing education credits through this program. See the “Continuing Education” part of our “Septic” website for further information, or click here for more information. It is planned that the Northwoods POWTS Seminar will take place on Wednesday, February 23, 2022, at the Reiter Center in Three Lakes. Click here to get the brochure and to register.

Agendas and public announcements

  • City of Land o’ Lakes public hearing on Peter Baltus CUP (1-2022) on Tuesday, February 3, 2020 Public Notice
  • Regular Meeting of the Zoning and Planning Committee – County Courthouse (February 3, 2022) Agenda for the Northwoods POWTS Seminar, which will be held in Three Lakes, Wisconsin on February 23, 2022. AgendaBrochureSignup

Services that are highlighted A more detailed inventory of services is available at the Vilas County Zoning Office, which may be accessed here.

  • Conditional Use Permits
  • Erosion Control/Mitigation Permits
  • Zoning Violation Investigations
  • Non-Metallic Mining Permits
  • And other related services. Inspections by POWTS
  • Review and approval of sanitary permits and soil tests
  • Petitions for rezoning
  • And other matters. Ordinance Books are being sold
  • Shoreland Alteration Projects (including grading, filling, and tree removal)
  • Septic Maintenance Program
  • And other projects as needed. Solid Waste and Recycling
  • Solid Waste and Recycling Approval of subdivision and condominium plats
  • Program for the Wisconsin Investment Fund
  • Zoning Ordinance Amendments
  • Zoning Permit Inspections
  • Zoning Ordinance Amendments
See also:  How To Drain Septic Tank Overflow? (Perfect answer)

Documents That Are Frequently Used The Vilas County Zoning and Planning Department Programs can be found on the web pages for each individual program or by calling (715) 479-3620. For additional documents or more information on the Vilas County Zoning and Planning Department programs, please see the web pages for each individual program or by calling (715) 479-3620.

  • Application for a Vilas County Zoning Permit
  • Wisconsin Sanitary Permit (SBD 6398)
  • Vilas County Floodplain Land Use Permit
  • Vilas County ZoningSanitary Fee Schedule (updated 11/1/2021)
  • Vilas County Setback Diagram
  • Vilas County Maintenance System Search Request
  • Vilas County Mitigation Agreement
  • Vilas County Onsite Inspection Request
  • Vilas County Sanitary Easement Form
  • Vilas County Sanit List of Wisconsin licensed plumbers serving Vilas County
  • List of Wisconsin licensed septic pumpers and inspectors serving Vilas County
  • List of Certified Soil Testers serving Vilas County


  • Ordinance No. 18 (Highway Construction) of Vilas County
  • Vilas County General Zoning Ordinance (updated 6/1/2021)
  • Vilas County Shoreland Zoning Ordinance
  • Vilas County Floodplain Zoning Ordinance
  • Vilas County Private Sewage System Ordinance
  • Vilas County Subdivision Control Ordinance
  • Vilas County Wireless Communications Ordinance (updated 10/26/2021)
  • Vilas County Non-Metallic Mining Reclamation Ordin

LocationHours Permits can be obtained in person at the Vilas County Courthouse or sent over the mail. Eagle River, Wisconsin 54521 Vilas County Courthouse330 Court St. Eagle River, Wisconsin 54521 The working week is Monday through Friday. From 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. On the following holidays, Vilas County ZoningPlanning will be closed: New Year’s Day (including New Year’s Eve), Good Friday (including Memorial Day), Independence Day (including Labor Day), Thanksgiving (including Thanksgiving Day), Friday after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve (including Christmas Day), and Christmas Day (including Christmas Eve).

  • There will be no need for you to utilize any stairways.
  • Located on the first floor, the Zoning Office is the first office on the right, followed by the Sanitary Office, which is located on the second floor, also on the right.
  • In the event that you have issues about individual properties, you should contact the Deputy Zoning Administrator for that town at the locations listed below.
  • If you have any queries about a property or issue in a specific town, you should contact the individual whose name the town is listed under in the directory.

Town of Grand Rapids, Wood County, Wisconsin

The Town of Grand Rapids is pleased to report that it has been ranked as the 4thSafest Town in Wisconsin by the 2015 ValuePenquin Report, and as the 5thSafest Town in Wisconsin by the 2015 Niche Report. By the 2015 Niche Report, we are also happy to have been ranked 20th out of the best places to raise a family in the state of Wisconsin. In addition to the aforementioned honors, the SafeWise Study just published its 2018 “50 Safest Cities in Wisconsin” report, which ranked Grand Rapids as the 7th Safest City in Wisconsin and the 82nd Safest City in the United States, according to the SafeWise Report.

  • The SafeWise security analyst Rebecca Edwards explained that not only are 68 percent of these cities on our list for the second time, but 48 of them had no murders in 2013.
  • This achievement was made possible in part by the efforts of the inhabitants of Grand Rapids as well as the police department, fire department, town crew, Town Board, and members of all the other town committees.
  • Grand Rapids has a total land area of 20.3 square miles and a population of 7,863 people.
  • Half of the municipal wells supplying Wisconsin Rapids are located in Grand Rapids, which serves as a testament to the town’s water quality.
  • The Town Board, which consists of five members, meets once a month.
  • Individuals from all over Wisconsin go to Grand Rapids to take part in and enjoy the activities that take place in the city center.

The South Wood County Park on the shores of magnificent Lake Wazeecha also provides a variety of recreational activities such as hiking, bicycling; fishing; swimming; disc golf; picnicking; camping; and boating among others.


The Chippewa County Private Sewage System Ordinance is enforced throughout the whole county. The goal of the ordinance is to promote and safeguard public health, safety, and the environment by ensuring that private sewage systems are located, designed, installed, inspected, and managed in accordance with established standards. A system for retaining, treating, and dispersing sewage and wastewater is needed in any county structures or premises that are permanently or temporarily designed for human habitation or occupation, are not supplied by a public sewer system, and have running water piped into the facility.

POWTS Upkeep and Repair Since 1985, Chippewa County has mandated that all private sewage systems undergo obligatory maintenance or pumping on a regular basis.

Maintenance/Pumping Reporting for POWTS, as well as Proper Use Chippewa Valley Septic Pumpers is a member of the EPA Septic Maintenance Guide.

Building Inspector – Village of Summit, Waukesha County, Wisconsin

An approval from the zoning commission is necessary when a structure or part of a structure is relocated, erected or moved, rebuilt or expanded, or when it is transformed. Before a building permission may be awarded, the zoning permit must first be obtained. In accordance with where your property is located, we have two distinct zoning regions to consider. There are two types of wetland areas: shoreland wetland and non-shoreland wetland (regular zoning). Please go to the map link to see whether or not your property is located within the shoreland/wetland region.

  • For Zoning Map, click here(opens in new window)
  • For Zoning Code, click here(opens in a new window)

When it comes to the shoreland/wetland district, if you have any questions about size, setbacks, or what you may build, add onto, or change in the area, please call the Village Hall at 262-567-2757 and ask to speak with Amy Barrows, the Zoning Administrator. Contact Mike at the phone indicated at the top of this page if you need assistance in an area other than shoreland/wetland zones (and if Amy is not available). If you have any queries about landscaping improvements, retaining walls, or patios in the shoreland/wetland district, please contact Amy Barrows, the district planner.

See also:  What Does It Mean When Septic Tank Burps? (Solved)

Preliminary Site Evaluation (PSE)

Any new construction, shed, deck, pool, or other structure in an area that is not served by municipal sewer must also be approved by the sanitarian at Waukesha County Environmental, which may be reached at 262-896-8300.

  • To access an application form, please visit this page. (This link will open in a new window)

Water Supply

Residential homes in the Village are not served by the municipal water system.

With the exception of a few commercial properties, the most of the properties are privately owned. Drinking water specialists at the Department of Natural Resources can be reached at 262-884-2356 for information on private wells.

New Driveway Access From Road

Please call Jared Beauchamp at the Highway Department at 262-567-2422 if you have any concerns about new driveway access points, paving, constructing a concrete driveway, or culvert information. Complete the application and familiarize yourself with the curb cut standards. Permit for Driveways, Curb Cuts, and Culverts Concrete Curbing with or without a Sidewalk Concrete Curbing with a Sidewalk is shown here.

New Home Permit Fees – Budget Numbers

Base charge of $600 + $.48/sq. ft. for ALL floor spaces, including basements, first floors, second floors, garages, and other unfinished areas, regardless of whether they are finished or unfinished. This includes construction, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, review, state seal, erosion control, and other related services.

Occupancy/Road Bond

Please contact the clerk’s office at 262-567-2757 for information on the impact fee and connection fee schedule.

Village Impact fee for any new home

There is a $2,247.00 park impact charge as well as a fire number sign (with the exception of the Brightwater and Ravinia subdivisions, the price is only $50.00).

Zoning permit

The base permit charge is $50, with an additional $2 per $1000 of total building cost added on top of that (material and labor). There may be additional payments necessary for mitigation, among other things. For some developments, approval of the grading design is required by the Village Engineer for a minor extra charge.

Documents Needed for a New Home

The provisions of Act 211 are currently in force.

  • Click here for information on new one- and two-family houses, as well as the procedures you must follow.

Two sets of comprehensive building blueprints are included. Please provide all wall bracing data per SPS 321.25, including WSP locations highlighted on the designs, in the plans you submit.

  • For a ‘How To’ guide, go here
  • For a worksheet, go here
  • For wall bracing FAQs, go here
  • And for a list of resources, go here.

3 duplicates of the Surveys (include grading plan and erosion control locations). Please provide the total amount of planned impervious surface area as well as the elevation of the top of the basement level in your submission. 1 Heat/Loss/Calculation based on 2009 International Energy Conservation Code. 1 copy of the sanitary permit if the property is not supplied by municipal sewer. Please include the cover page of the application form, which should include the number of bedrooms. 1 Application for a Uniform Building Permit (Generic State Form).

Only one zoning permit is required in shoreland/wetland zones.

Please fill out the following form if your house is located within the Utility District2 service area (Interlaken Village, Newbridge Crossing, or The Meadows).

  • Section 18.12.4 – Residential
  • Section 18.12.4 – Commercial
  • Section 18.12.4 Schedule A-Non-Residential
  • 2021 NEW User NoticeSection 18.12.4 Schedule A-Non-Residential

Documents Needed for Other Remodeling Projects

  • Construction plans for two sets of detailed construction
  • If you’re adding a bedroom or two, you’ll need one copy of the PSE permission (from Waukesha County) for non-municipal sewer areas
  • And one copy of the PSE approval (from Waukesha County) for non-municipal sewer areas. For basement or lower level finishing projects, please determine the total square footage of the proposed completed space
  • The whole cost of building, including materials and labor for the entire project, as if it were completed by a contractor
  • If the structure is of a COMMERCIAL nature, you may also be required to file a NOI (Notice Of Intent) with the DNR in order to address asbestos-related issues.

Documents Needed for Fence Permit

According to the current municipal code, fences do not require a permission to be constructed.

General regulations:

The maximum height in the front yard is 4 feet (preferred), while the maximum height in the side and rear yards is 6 feet. There may be no fences higher than 6 feet in height.

Stay at least 3 feet away from property borders (it is advised) in order to maintain the rear side of the fence without trespassing onto neighboring property. When building a wood fence, the ‘good side’ should be the side that faces the adjoining property (if applicable).

Documents Needed for Razing Permit

  • 1 copy of the survey or site plan indicating which structures are being demolished
  • Disconnection notices from utilities (Gas and Electric). If the property is served by municipal sewer, a separate plumbing permit issued by a qualified contractor is necessary in order to cap or abandon the sewer. If a septic system is existent, it must be properly abandoned in accordance with State Plumbing/POWTS regulations. 1 copy of the asbestos testing report
  • 1 copy of the asbestos abatement report (if applicable)
  • Cost: The cost varies between $250 and $500 based on the overall square footage of the construction. If the structure is of a COMMERCIAL nature, you may also be required to file a NOI (Notice Of Intent) with the DNR in order to address asbestos-related issues.

Obtain an Application for a Specific Permit

To obtain the relevant permission, please select the appropriate link from the list below:

  • Building
  • Uniform Building-New Home Permit
  • Electrical
  • HVAC
  • Plumbing
  • Razing A
  • Razing Permit B
  • Zoning Permit Application
  • Zoning Permit

No permits are necessary for any work on a residence that involves changing roof shingles, relocating, or installing replacement windows and/or doors (of the same size or smaller). In order to install larger windows and/or doors, a building permission from the Village would be required, along with the relevant construction blueprints.

  • Wisconsin’s common deck construction code may be found by clicking here. Wisconsin’s 1 and 2 Family Building Code may be found by clicking here. Wisconsin – Administrative Codes in Their Entireity: Click Here

Check to determine if your contractor has a valid and current license before hiring him or her.

  • Visit this page to do a Wisconsin Credential/License Search.

Take note that contractors conducting work on single- and two-family residences must hold both valid Dwelling Contractor and Dwelling Contractor Qualifier licenses in order to execute the job.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *